28 Days Later - Death of a Nation

I reckon the virus would spread further and faster than has been suggested.

Some people, at least, are carriers and would carry it with them as they flee in vehicles, boats etc. People travelling with drugged up or restrained infected would spread it faster than walking pace. Until people get close Mailer was pretty docile when chained up.

Plus we don’t really know how long the virus can last in the open, but it must be sometime given how Frank was infected. If it can survive on a traffic poll for days, it can probably survive in blood on someone’s car or shirt. Worse, it might survive inside animals, and you’d get people in Europe infected by eating fish that have consumed some of the dead.

And just in terms of population movement. If everyone is fleeing from the cities and motorways, then low density areas are going to get flooded. In the first film I think Henry says the countryside is “teeming with infected”.

This. You don't need your normal infected to actually travel to the outer Hebrides at all. All you need is a normal guy on a boat traveling there with some infected blood on his shirt. When he gets there he go's to wipe the sweat off his forehead. Then he get's the tiniest bit of that infected blood mixed in with the sweat on his forehead that then drips down into his eyes.

And boom now you've got an infected in what was otherwise "Virgin Field" territory. You also risk incidents of deluded desperate people managing to tie up or drug infected family members and try to transport them to otherwise uninfected regions.

And it is theoretically possible for infected to be transported by ship or boat overwater in uncontrolled vessels. Just have them get locked up or trapped in say the pilot house of a fishing vessel or one of the rooms of a larger ship and have the ship washed by the tide onto shore of some formerly safe region. For larger modern vessels I believe there's an equivalent to an "Auto pilot" on a plane. The ships course and destination is laid in and the ship can mostly travel there on it's own. So have a vessel with one infected on it and the rest of it's complement be uninfected at first. The uninfected crew put in the coordinates of their destination and then succumb as the outbreak explodes.

You could also have say one of the earlier scenarios (the bit of infected blood on a shirt mixing with sweat and dripping into the eyes) happen on say a commercial jet. Have the infection rage in the main cabin but the pilots remain safe and uninfected behind reinforced cabin door in the cockpit. Then have them try and land spilling their infected cargo across the landing area.

You could also have say one of the earlier scenarios (the bit of infected blood on a shirt mixing with sweat and dripping into the eyes) happen on say a commercial jet. Have the infection rage in the main cabin but the pilots remain safe and uninfected behind reinforced cabin door in the cockpit. Then have them try and land spilling their infected cargo across the landing area.
"We now have word on the situation in New York..."

"All tunnels and bridges to Manhattan have been destroyed with the Navy and Coast Guard maintaining patrols over the island. We do not know if this is meant to keep people in or out of the island. We shall photos of New York shortly"

Honestly the scenario's I presented (especially the plane with the fuselage full of infected but the pilots remaining uninfected safe behind the cockpit cabin door) is why I'm fairly certain that the French (and other's in Europe and elsewhere) must have enacted a policy on the first day of the epidemic of shooting down pretty much any and every plane coming out of Britain. Just no way I can see one or two plane loads of infected landing in continental Europe and elsewhere and spreading the infection before the nation's involved can mobilize their military forces. Combine that with sinking pretty much any and every boat and ship coming out of Britain.

It'll be pretty horrible to be putting it mildly.

Honestly the scenario's I presented (especially the plane with the fuselage full of infected but the pilots remaining uninfected safe behind the cockpit cabin door) is why I'm fairly certain that the French (and other's in Europe and elsewhere) must have enacted a policy on the first day of the epidemic of shooting down pretty much any and every plane coming out of Britain. Just no way I can see one or two plane loads of infected landing in continental Europe and elsewhere and spreading the infection before the nation's involved can mobilize their military forces. Combine that with sinking pretty much any and every boat and ship coming out of Britain.

It'll be pretty horrible to be putting it mildly.
@Ogrebear (I think) did a pretty good and creepy vignette of a EuroStar being... neutralized, either here or on another 28DL thread. Like me, he's pretty firm in the "it ain't getting to Europe because the gloves would come off" camp.

MaxGerke01

Banned
Alice Harris was infected but asymptomatic.So unless she was the only one in the UK who fit that description-which seems unlikely- its possible that others like her were bitten and infected and managed to be evacuated into Europe or elsewhere undetected.That didnt happen in the canon universe obviously but it would be possible thus demonstrating that continental Europe and the rest of the world would not be completely safe...

@Ogrebear (I think) did a pretty good and creepy vignette of a EuroStar being... neutralized, either here or on another 28DL thread. Like me, he's pretty firm in the "it ain't getting to Europe because the gloves would come off" camp.

Pretty much. If anything "The gloves would come off" would be an understatement. I expect that the rest of NATO (And pretty much everyone else) would have undertaken a systematic campaign to essentially destroy each and every British city and large town at a minimum. Chemical weapons of various types in vast quantities to kill the infected followed by conventional and firebombing to incinerate the remaining living infected, the remains of the dead ones, and all of the various surfaces and objects that would have been covered with the various infected fluids of the Rage infected. British waters would be mined and there'd be a vast blockading force of pretty much every single available warship from not just NATO but Russia, China, India, and dozens of other Navies and militaries.

Quite possible you might see at least limited usage of nuclear and "Neutron" bombs.

Pretty much. If anything "The gloves would come off" would be an understatement. I expect that the rest of NATO (And pretty much everyone else) would have undertaken a systematic campaign to essentially destroy each and every British city and large town at a minimum. Chemical weapons of various types in vast quantities to kill the infected followed by conventional and firebombing to incinerate the remaining living infected, the remains of the dead ones, and all of the various surfaces and objects that would have been covered with the various infected fluids of the Rage infected. British waters would be mined and there'd be a vast blockading force of pretty much every single available warship from not just NATO but Russia, China, India, and dozens of other Navies and militaries.

Quite possible you might see at least limited usage of nuclear and "Neutron" bombs.
On the one hand, part of you recoils at the death toll of innocents caused by this, and it would be seen as an act of war against the UK.

On the other, there probably isn't much of a UK to react.

Alice Harris was infected but asymptomatic.So unless she was the only one in the UK who fit that description-which seems unlikely- its possible that others like her were bitten and infected and managed to be evacuated into Europe or elsewhere undetected.That didnt happen in the canon universe obviously but it would be possible thus demonstrating that continental Europe and the rest of the world would not be completely safe...

You also have to consider that when the epidemic first started nobody (outside of the scientists who were researching the Rage Virus. And most of them were probably killed on the first day.) would actually know anything about the Rage Virus. For all they know the virus is airborne and everyone who's even been near an infected (or near somebody who's been near an infected) is actually a asymptomatic carrier of the virus and capable of nearly instantly infecting anyone not in full Hazmat gear by just breathing near them.

While that isn't actually the case in universe it would seem fully plausible (considering how insane and implausible the Rage Virus itself would seem) to policy makers and top generals. In which case they'd believe that just allowing literally anyone who's been in Britain even if they're not actually directly trying to kill people (like the vast majority of Rage infected) would instantly allow the epidemic to spread to Europe and the rest of the world.

In which case actually allowing literally anyone in Britain to leave would be seen as akin to essentially killing billions of human beings and potentially ending mankind itself. In which case the "Nerve gas every single inch of Britain" plan would seem the least terrible option available.

All in all it's pretty horrifying anyway you cut it.

On the one hand, part of you recoils at the death toll of innocents caused by this, and it would be seen as an act of war against the UK.

On the other, there probably isn't much of a UK to react.

The biggest problem is really the RN's Boomer force. From what I understand the general policy would be for one of Britain's SSBN's to be at sea at any given time. Which means you have a submarine full of men who've literally got nothing to lose (since as like as not all of their families are dead) with dozens of nuclear warheads (who's security consists at the time of bike locks with four numeral locks. And for whatever reason the locks code was set at "0000"). Depending on what the British government sent in the way of messaging before they were destroyed and what the "Letter of Last Resort" (The special letter written by every British PM at the start of their tenure in office spelling out what exactly the ship's captain and crew should do in the event of Britain being destroyed by a nuclear first strike.). The best scenario is that the SSBN is ordered to put itself under the command of the USN and the ship's crews are disarmed and the boat seized before they can really learn what the world is doing to what used to be Britain.

I mean, the US did the same thing...

Sort of. Though I think we stopped doing so long before the UK did. From what I can recall the secret overrides on the Presidential Authorization Links had been superseded by the late 1960's. The UK on the other hand kept the bike locks with codes of "0000" till like the 1990s.

It's definitely not the dumbest thing done by any nation by any means. I mean the US had a fricking complete nuclear weapon (Admittedly minus the radioactive core or the conventional explosives needed to activate it) on display at the Smithsonian for decades without realizing it was anything but an empty shell.

MaxGerke01

Banned
But we have to remember the movies make it clear that many were let out-thousands if not millions were evacuated.There must have been some protocol-probably a blood test against samples of Rage Virus that were obtained by British or NATO forces and taken out of the UK....

But we have to remember the movies make it clear that many were let out-thousands if not millions were evacuated.There must have been some protocol-probably a blood test against samples of Rage Virus that were obtained by British or NATO forces and taken out of the UK....
There would have been some refugees, if only because people would have fled southern England before the outbreak reached them, and France and Holland are right there. As far as we know, Ireland was uninfected, so at least some of the UK government would have survived there. On that subject, I've been wondering about the Shetland Islands. The Orkneys could be reached by the infected, but would the Shetlands have time to seal themselves off?

Found the vignette. Again, credit to @Ogrebear

A brief moment of risk in France during the first stages of the Rage Virus came as a Eurostar came through the tunnel full of infected- however by the time the Virus hit London and therefore the Eurostar trains, the French military where already prepared. After frantic calls from the train driver (who could see the passengers being infected via CCTV, as could the terrified control rooms) the train is automatically shunted to a Calais siding with all its doors sealed by the computer systems- the anti-terrorism toughed glass of the carriages having kept the infected sealed inside. The uninfected driver is extracted from his sealed cab as is the Chef du Train [guard] from the rear cab. When he retreated to his cab the Chef took 6 passengers and 2 children with him (all the could fit). All would be thoroughly screened for Rage.

The train is systematically torched via flamethrower. Once alight, it is machine gunned along its entire length to ensure nothing makes it out alive. Once the firing stopped after 10 minuets there was a pause to see if anything made it out. To everyone's shock 3 horrendously burned infected emerged and tried to reach the soldiers - they didn't last long.

After this incident the all the emergency bulkheads in the tunnel are sealed on the French end, despite pleading from the the British controllers. Even ventilation shafts was sealed with concrete plugs. A 24 hour high readiness guard is posted at the tunnel mouth in case someone managed to reopen the doors. Explosives are rigged around the entrances as well, though these would never be used. After 2 weeks some of the troops are removed from the tunnel guard to deal with the worsening situation at the port, but the guard is kept.

During the Clearance of Britain over 400 bodies would be found piled against the British side of the doors- survivors who had attempted to walk the tunnel only to fall victim to the infected who found them.

MaxGerke01

Banned
So were there any prominent Britons (ie Royal Family,Politics , Celeberties etc) who were infected or killed in the original outbreak ?

So were there any prominent Britons (ie Royal Family,Politics , Celeberties etc) who were infected or killed in the original outbreak ?
It's pretty much impossible that there weren't considering how fast the virus spread and how quickly it turned its victims. But it's up to fanon to name names.

It's pretty much impossible that there weren't considering how fast the virus spread and how quickly it turned its victims. But it's up to fanon to name names.
It's entirely possible the Queen died, from stress if nothing else. Charles is older, so it's anyone's guess if he survived the whole ordeal. I feel like most of the Royal Family would have survived because they would have had better security than most, as well as priority during evacuation. As to celebrities, One Direction were all kids during the outbreak, so at least a few of them probably didn't make it. I don't know many other prominent Brits who were in country at the time, so I'll leave that to someone else.

I reckon the virus would spread further and faster than has been suggested.

Some people, at least, are carriers and would carry it with them as they flee in vehicles, boats etc. People travelling with drugged up or restrained infected would spread it faster than walking pace. Until people get close Mailer was pretty docile when chained up.

Plus we don’t really know how long the virus can last in the open, but it must be sometime given how Frank was infected. If it can survive on a traffic poll for days, it can probably survive in blood on someone’s car or shirt. Worse, it might survive inside animals, and you’d get people in Europe infected by eating fish that have consumed some of the dead.

And just in terms of population movement. If everyone is fleeing from the cities and motorways, then low density areas are going to get flooded. In the first film I think Henry says the countryside is “teeming with infected”.
Yeah, but North American low density areas are *considerably* larger than British (or Western European). Unlike the New Zealand situation mentioned, you'd need *multiple* assisted transports to knock out a majority of the United States.