Kaiserreich: Legacy of the Weltkrieg

Deleted member 82792

You'd be surprised how many come out of the woodwork, especially on Reddit and our Discord server. Some are definitely edgy kids and trolls, and I do think KR's older memey-style content attracted most of those, but whether this event in particular is comparable... I don't know, personally. At the end of the day it's really the choice of the people working on that particular area, as I mentioned in a previous post.

Personally I see the KR team moving steadily in a direction that's not especially concerned by precedent, or in other words tradition. On the one hand I don't like this, as I see respecting the spirit, if not the detail, of other's work as important - I respect others' work as I want mine to be respected. On the other hand, a lot of changes have a great deal of merit behind them in terms of improving gameplay, lore quality, and scenario variation. New content is almost always superior to what it's replacing, and I hope players will continue to recognize that as things move forward. Kaiserreich has always been in a state of flux, and if you want to take part in shaping it the door's (almost) always open.

Whether this is one of those changes that actually improves Kaiserreich... I don't know. But, given that those who made the decision have stepped up and played a major role in development, I think they had the right to make it. This isn't directed at you necessarily, Soup, but I think it's worth mentioning since this sort of subject comes up frequently.
I guess downplaying Hitler is the smart decision. And maybe keep killing off OTL Nazis like Himmler.

I still really like the inclusions of the Nazis as references. It drives home for me just how alien this Europe is in so many ways (and also it's fun to be reminded just how crazy OTL interwar Europe was, given how ridiculous the Nazis' rise to power seems when you consider all the lucky breaks they had), and seeing Himmler the crazy chicken farmer, Goering the Literal Worst Person, and Heydrich the psycho sidekick is alternately amusing...and super fun to kick in the teeth of Dear Leader Hermann, would-be Emperor of the universe, as an Internationale-aligned Red South Africa.

I still really like the inclusions of the Nazis as references. It drives home for me just how alien this Europe is in so many ways (and also it's fun to be reminded just how crazy OTL interwar Europe was, given how ridiculous the Nazis' rise to power seems when you consider all the lucky breaks they had), and seeing Himmler the crazy chicken farmer, Goering the Literal Worst Person, and Heydrich the psycho sidekick is alternately amusing...and super fun to kick in the teeth of Dear Leader Hermann, would-be Emperor of the universe, as an Internationale-aligned Red South Africa.
I never liked Goering as the leader of Mittelafrika. It makes more sense that in a post CP victory Versailles-less world he’d remain in the airforce as a high ranking officer, enjoying the kickbacks and potentially getting ready to launch a political career. The only reason he seems to be in power in Mittelafrika is because his father was a colonial governor and past devs needed a high ranking OTL Nazi to make Africa uniquely horrible/the Congo free state writ large in comparison to the usual colonial regime.

There was this mittelafrika timeline for darkest hour Kaiserreich where the germans lost the war in europe, thus the player declared war on egypt, the ottomans, bulgaria, serbia, romania, the danubian federation, then he used them to invade central europe and "free" germany

Many people made references to the domination of Draka on that series, someone even said "Mittelstaat, walking through the levant"

Same. It might not be the most "realistic" strictly speaking, but it's honestly fun to see what happens to figure X in such a different timeline and how different they may or may not be from their real-life selves. I'd say that's why some people like Mosley have such a big meme status and place in the fandom; we know who this guy is and we're able to compare and contrast him to his real-life self. And yeah there are examples of OTL unknowns being major and popular figures (see Savinkov), but hey it's a big mod - why not just have both types?

Last edited:
This guy dressed as Huey Long on Halloween
x7y8rr6erwv31.png

source

Deleted member 82792

What are the demographics of the UoB? I know there are the English, Scots and Welsh, but what about Indians, Chinese or Afro-Caribbeans?

Anti-Longism is one hell of a drug sometimes. One the bright side one of my comments arguing that Long isn't evil did have near equal upvotes, proving that some of the Subreddit understand that Long isn't Satan 2 on PS2.
The anti longists basically built a red guard to bomb anyone who supported him at the time, thanks to Shermann Von Bismarck sources I can debate with them, but still got downvoted to hell on the process

Longism is cringe.
A Perfect Democracy

-
View attachment 501832
-
or

The World That Huey Made

-

A perfect democracy can come close to looking like a dictatorship, a democracy in which the people are so satisfied they have no complaint.

-​
Huey Long

Huey Pierce Long, Jr. (August 30, 1893 - March 15, 1960), known also by the nickname "The Kingfish," was an American statesman who served as the 34th President of the United States from 1941 to 1953. Prior to his presidency, he served as the 40th governor of Louisiana from 1928 to 1932, and then senator from 1932 to 1940. Throughout his political career, Long ran on a platform of wealth redistribution which he dubbed Share Our Wealth. As president, he served an unprecedented three terms in office, implementing most of his initial program, including the reform of the Federal Reserve Board, the Bureau of Wealth and Public Equity, the National Health Administration, National Railroad System, and the Public Broadcasting System. The Long administration also oversaw several massive construction project, including the Mississippi Levy System and Oklahoma Levy System, as well as the construction of cities and housing projects known at the time as "Longvilles." Long's presidency also saw a considerable concentration of executive power not unlike what he wielded as governor of Louisiana, which resulted in a failed impeachment attempt during his first term. As for his legacy, Long is considered the most consequential president of the 20th century, if not all of American history, with him usually ranking within the top three of most historians' lists for most consequential presidents. His time as president is what most historians consider to be the Fifth Party System, characterized by populist politics, Democratic Party dominance, and an isolationist approach to European affairs.
-​

Welcome to A Perfect Democracy. For years, I have always had a fascination with Huey Long. My politics have shifted over the years, but my interest in him has been the same. I have tried my hand at doing a timeline similar to the premise presented here in the past, but with little success. It has been difficult for me to stick with an idea that I like and develop it to its logical - and sometimes "illogical" - conclusions. I have admired the number of well thought-out and developed alternate worlds present on this site - @lord caedus 's American Commonwealth, @Archangel Michael 's A Jovian Night's Dream, @Kanan 's Our Fair Country, @LeinadB93 's Hail, Britannia - and I hope to add my own contribution to this site much like they have. This might be the basis for a fictional universe, who knows?

Admittedly, I am using a little bit of a butterfly net when it comes to the world events that led to World War II, but I believe most of what happened IOTL would still have happened even without Franklin Roosevelt as President during those years.

For those who are wondering, God Save Great Washington is not dead. It's on extended hiatus, and I plan to return to it. I just need a little bit longer to plan out the world. For the foreseeable future, however, I plan to work mostly on this TL. I thank you for your understanding.

Thanks to @timmy_khagann for the "Share Our Wealth" logo. The "old" Huey Long portrait and "coat of arms" are from Reddit.

To elaborate on my previous comment, I can perhaps see a case for appreciating the historical symbol of Huey Long as an economically progressive and unusually non-racist southern politician for his time (although the characterization of Huey Long as 'anti-racist' or even less racist than his colleagues is somewhat up for debate, especially in recent years : [content warning : racial slurs]

1605413718243.png

The fact of the matter is, however, that I simply cannot see any good reason to support Huey Long in the Kaiserreich Universe. For one, all of his economic policies can be done better by the CSA. Additionally, if you're adamant on retaining social democracy, I'm fairly sure the PSA has a social democrat route. Both the CSA and the PSA have infinitely more potential for democracy than the AUS, which is essentially doomed to some flavor of autocracy, ranging from a oligarchical welfare state to a nightmarishly racist abomination. Far from being the supposed anti-racist in our own timeline, Long sides with White Supremacists as well as literal Business elites, the latter of which hilariously seems to contradict his own supposedly economically populist positions.

At the end of the day? Even though I'm no fan of the guy, I feel like Long could be portrayed a lot better and more sympathetic in Kaiserreich, especially by ridding him at least of the support of the business elites.

To elaborate on my previous comment, I can perhaps see a case for appreciating the historical symbol of Huey Long as an economically progressive and unusually non-racist southern politician for his time (although the characterization of Huey Long as 'anti-racist' or even less racist than his colleagues is somewhat up for debate, especially in recent years : [content warning : racial slurs]

View attachment 599735

The fact of the matter is, however, that I simply cannot see any good reason to support Huey Long in the Kaiserreich Universe. For one, all of his economic policies can be done better by the CSA. Additionally, if you're adamant on retaining social democracy, I'm fairly sure the PSA has a social democrat route. Both the CSA and the PSA have infinitely more potential for democracy than the AUS, which is essentially doomed to some flavor of autocracy, ranging from a oligarchical welfare state to a nightmarishly racist abomination. Far from being the supposed anti-racist in our own timeline, Long sides with White Supremacists as well as literal Business elites, the latter of which hilariously seems to contradict his own supposedly economically populist positions.

At the end of the day? Even though I'm no fan of the guy, I feel like Long could be portrayed a lot better and more sympathetic in Kaiserreich, especially by ridding him at least of the support of the business elites.
Look up the "Home of the Brave" submod. It adds tons of paths for a few more civil war factions like bonafide Dixiecrats+Klansmen (and some industrialists) and a black rebellion in the deep South if said faction goes even more extremist. It also tries to make the characters more "historically accurate", like Pelley being mostly a weirdo Christian occultist with strange racial ideas rather than a true fascist.

1605413718243.png
I... disagree with many of the conclusions Jeansonne has. I’m not saying Long would hold up to modern standards (as shown he had no issues with racial epithets), but he’s a historical figure and you need to put them in their time and place. You could level the “doesn’t hold to our standards” charge to near everyone born before 1940. And yeah Long never had to have address an election directly surrounding race, but the general concept of “race-baiting” is one Long by and large avoided. And the argument of “even if Long helped African-Americans economically he didn’t challenge Jim Crow” can easily be flipped to “when faced with the racism and Jim Crow of Louisiana Long still managed to spread his programs and benefits to African-Americans”. He certainly had the support and appreciation of African Americans for what he did and as far as I can tell he was not hateful to any African-Americans he interacted with. His ally in the senate Burton Wheeler flat out stated Long was better on race then every other southern senator.

The fact of the matter is, however, that I simply cannot see any good reason to support Huey Long in the Kaiserreich Universe. Far from being the supposed anti-racist in our own timeline, Long sides with White Supremacists as well as literal Business elites, the latter of which hilariously seems to contradict his own supposedly economically populist positions.
I honestly don’t necessarily disagree with any of this, which is honestly the center of my frustration with Long and the AUS. Kaiserreichs Long is a meme and a weird remnant of legacyKR that somehow was never changed. Despite my constant partaking in them, I’ve always thought discussions surrounding KR Huey are mostly unproductive because he’s so far removed from his actual self you’re essentially dealing with a fictional character that can be molded differently by each viewer.

Last edited: