Roma Renovata est: A Roman TL

The Fate of Geiseric's Other Sons

• They are captured by Majorian

Votes: 203 68.8%
  • They escape to the Vandal occupied islands

Votes: 92 31.2%

• Total voters
That one general died at the party would make me suspicious enough to question the house staff. Majorian could try it as well
Remember he died hours after the party. It was a slow acting poison in order to NOT draw suspicion. But it's definitely the first piece of the puzzle, with more evidence against them, there WILL be more suspicion.

Hey so I recently read this cool document that basically made the case that ricimer wasn't es evil as he was portrayed. The document for instance states that he would get a lot of blame dit being a barbarian and that he may have killed majorian for reasons of state. It may not all be true but I still found it interesting tot keep in mind

Edit: I was to stupid to attach the file

Attachments

• 2008-9-03.pdf
    291.9 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:
21: Imperial Affairs
A/N: Hello all, I'm here with a new chapter! For a while with this series I've focused mostly on the external affairs. I think it's time to fix that. For this chapter we'll be looking into the imperial family itself, now that the Imperial ladies are back in Rome.

Imperial Affairs

The city of Rome...

It had been 7 years since she'd been here...

As she walked through the Streets of Rome, Eudocia reminised on the times of her childhood, when she didn't have much care in the world.

That had changed when she was taken from everything by the Vandals who had left her home a mess. Forced to live in enemy territory, married to a man she barely knew. It seemed to her as if her destiny to be the trophy wife of the Vandal prince, the son of the men who had destroyed Rome.

But everything had changed almost 2 years ago, when the newest emperor Majorian had led a successful conquest of North Africa. Like that, she had been freed and returned to Rome, the man she had been betrothed to dead at Hippo Regius.

Now, she was the wife of a different man. She was the wife of the man who had liberated her family from the Vandals. In truth, she knew her role with her new husband was the same as the one she was originally betrothed to, to be a connection to her dynasty. At least now she could be at home.

That wasn't to say she didn't like Majorian however. Over the year she had gotten to know her new husband and had grown to like him. She had found herself enamoured with the emperor, with his determination and his witty attitude.

And now she had a child as well, a son, her little Theodosius, named after her Great Grandfather, Theodosius the Great. She loved the little boy, now a few months old. She had faith that he would be a worthy successor to the title his father carried.

She was soon joined by her husband, Majorian. They exchanged many stories along the way, both funny and profound. For the first time in years, Eudocia felt happy with life.

But she was also sad. Sad that whenever she saw the city of Rome, all there was were the ashes of a once grand city. Majorian felt much the same. Which is why the imperial couple had a plan for Rome, to see it reborn like a phoenix, into a majestic city once again.

Eudocia had alot on her mind as a result of her return to Rome. But it wasn't just Eudocia that had been having an eventful time since her return...

Placidia had also returned to Rome alongside her sister and mother. She and her husband Olybrius had been staying in the imperial palace alongside the Royal couple. But it wasn't this that was so interesting.

Majorian, since his return to Rome, had taken up a protege of sorts, someone he could train to lead Rome if he died before having a successor/before his successor was of age to lead the empire. He had selected someone with an personal attachment. He selected the son Flavius Aetius, Gaudentius.

This was not without proper reasoning however. Gaudentius had served in the Vandalic War, rising quickly up the ranks, he had been the one to take control if the right flank that allowed the Romans to win at Hippo Regius, he had accompanied Majorian through Geiseric's Palace, and he had been a commander of Majorian's Cavalry at The Second Battle of Caralis. Needless to say, he was had skill at leadership.

He was also young enough to learn and be in good condition to take over at a moments notice. All his other closest friends were similar to his age, so may not be in such a good condition in a decades time or so. But he had also asked them if they wanted to be a regent of Theodosius. Aegidius, Marcellinus and Nepotianus had all considered, but had ultimately rejected the proposal. He had intended to ask Ricimer, but he had waved off Majorian.

It was because of this that he had turned to Gaudentius, training him to be able to take control if need be, but still making sure he didn't get any ideas about taking the throne for himself. One of the arrangements was that Gaudentius would stay at the Imperial Palace.

This had put Placidia and Gaudentius in close proximity with each other, over the months they had gotten to know each other, becoming closer with each passing day. Now, it was a full blown affair behind everyones backs. Placidia and Gaudentius both felt guilty about what they were doing, but they couldn't help themselves, it had gone to far.

Eventually, Placidia would break the news to Eudocia and Majorian that she was pregnant. To most who found out, it was a happy time, Olybrius and Placidia were to have a child, but, deep down, Placidia could not say who the father truely was.

A/N: And that's it for this Chapter! It felt good to write about the perspectives of the imperial ladies, as we have barely heard from them up to this point. Let me know if you enjoyed this latest chapter, your feedback is always appreciated. See you next Chapter!

What kind of poison is this that
- is reliably lethal
- doesn't have enough taste to be noticed
And
- is that slow?

Oh. And
- mimics a believable illness.
Well, the only actual perameters were that it is deadly and slow acting. It's just that because it is slow acting that someone just randomly dying can only really be chalked up to disease at that point.

Although it is definately a bit plot conviniency, sorry about that. I try to make it as believeable as possible, but somethings do fail to met that, or can be easily misconstrued to be unbelieveable. It was a failure on my part to not set the perameters more clearly. I'll try to do better when it comes to these specifics.

What kind of poison is this that
- is reliably lethal
- doesn't have enough taste to be noticed
And
- is that slow?

Oh. And
- mimics a believable illness.
Holy Hell, I actually found a poison that works somewhat like this.

It's called Thallium, a chemical element which is very poisonous. It is an "expected human carcinagin", it is odourless, tasteless and has a range of "slow acting, painful and wide ranging symptoms are often suggestive of other illnesses and conditions"

It's ACTUALLY A THING! I legitimately did not expect to find something so similar to how you described it. This is it. This is the one.

Holy Hell, I actually found a poison that works somewhat like this.

It's called Thallium, a chemical element which is very poisonous. It is an "expected human carcinagin", it is odourless, tasteless and has a range of "slow acting, painful and wide ranging symptoms are often suggestive of other illnesses and conditions"

It's ACTUALLY A THING! I legitimately did not expect to find something so similar to how you described it. This is it. This is the one.
But it wasn't known to the ancients.
Mostly what the ancients knew were plant poisons, e.g.
And those are mostly pretty bitter.
Hiding them in food is a lot easier that hiding them in wine.
Your best bet MIGHT be opium. He feels tired and drags himself to bed, and then dies in his sleep. Hemlock has a pretty distinctive pattern of extremities growing cold and numb, so unless he's already asleep before that starts, and how do you arrange that!, it will be obvious it's poisoning.
The other belladonna alkaloids, I don't know much about, but alkaloids are pretty much all bitter, see above comment about not being them in drink.

But it wasn't known to the ancients.
Mostly what the ancients knew were plant poisons, e.g.
And those are mostly pretty bitter.
Hiding them in food is a lot easier that hiding them in wine.
Your best bet MIGHT be opium. He feels tired and drags himself to bed, and then dies in his sleep. Hemlock has a pretty distinctive pattern of extremities growing cold and numb, so unless he's already asleep before that starts, and how do you arrange that!, it will be obvious it's poisoning.
The other belladonna alkaloids, I don't know much about, but alkaloids are pretty much all bitter, see above comment about not being them in drink.
You're probably right, but it could still be potentially used, since it is an element so it will still exist, and the fact it isn't known to most people at the time may work to Ricimers advantage. I appreciate the help though,I'll stick with saying that it is Thallium for now, but Opium could be a second choice if it if THAT unrealistic to use Thallium.

Last edited:
22: Back to Conquest
A/N: Hello all, I'm back with another Chapter. This time, Majorian will be getting back to what he does best, conquering old Roman territory. I hope you all enjoy this newest chapter!

Back to Conquest

463 AD

Majorian had spent the past year focusing on internal policies, trying to consolidate what he had, as well as improve the system of Rome.

But after the year of peace, it was now time to get back to his grand vision; restoring Rome's former borders. For this campaign, he would go to three different points had he felt retaking would be most strategic.

His first target was the small kingdom of Vasconia, which was between the Visigoths and Suebi. If he could take Vasconia he could set up a better isolate the two kingdoms for future reclaimation. It would also serve as a practice for true combat for the legions. They had had training and disciplining for the past year, but most had yet to be out on the field, in actual combat.

Preparations were made, before the army set out on the 15th January to Hispania. This would begin the second phase of the reconquest of The Roman Empire. The plan was to link up with his top generals in each sector of the empire (Nepotianus in the case of Hispania), from their he would launch a campaign to push the barbarians soldiers out of the formers territories of Rome. Any of the citizens that wished to stay when it was over were allowed to stay, those that wished to leave would be safely transported out.

January 22nd 463, Majorian would reach Hispania. He and Nepotianus would then travel to the border of Vasconia to begin his campaign to retake Rome.

The Vasconnes and Romans would met in battle at Vasconia's Border. The Legions were deployed as the main fighters, with Nepotianus's forces, bringing up the rear and wings to support them. Vasconia was able to muster up 6,000 men to fight the 25,000 that the Romans had.

The battle was quick and decisive, the Romans quickly surrounded the Vasconnes after a short scuffle. The Vasconnes would quickly surrender, fearing annihilation. At the battle 800 Vasconnes died, compared to only 90 dead for the Roman.

Terms were negotiated with the leader of Vasconia. The kings was able to make his realm a client state to Rome, rather than being fully annexed. Majorian agreed to this, as long as he could set up troops in Vasconia. Out of all of his planned conquests, Vasconia was the least nessesary, only serving to keep the Suebi and Visigoths divided. It could remain its own kingdom for the time being, as long as it answered to Rome.

With that finished he turned and started the journey to the other side of his Empire. His next mission was the fight the Ostrogoths for the rest of Illyria.

A/N: And that it for this Chapter. This chapter has been on to get the ball rolling for this 3 part campaign. Next chapter will be focused on the Ostrogoths and the continuation of Majorian's dream for a restored Rome. Thank you all for reading this stories so far, I have loved all your feedback on this series so far, it has really helped. See you next Chapter!

ATL Dovahhatt: If only the great heroes of Rome's past glories could see Majorian now; Augustus. Trajan. Marcus Aurelius. Aurelian. And Constantine.

ATL Dovahhatt: If only the great heroes of Rome's past glories could see Majorian now; Augustus. Trajan. Marcus Aurelius. Aurelian. And Constantine.
Back at the Ruins of Alesia

ATL Dovahhatty: The barbarians had been defeated that day, but little did they know of the horror that they had unleashed upon the world.

A small child would watch as they left. Born out of pure evil and chaos, that boy would become the nightmare of all that is civilized. He would become the biggest threat to Rome's very existence to ever live, worse than Alaric, worse than Hannibal, even worse than Attila.

He was the Devil incarnate, the Blackheart of God

And his sight was now on Rome...

This Blackheart of Rome is still a child isn't he? at most 10-12 years. To build a powebase large enough to become a serious threat to the Roman world I think at least 15 years will be needed.

This Blackheart of Rome is still a child isn't he? at most 10-12 years. To build a powebase large enough to become a serious threat to the Roman world I think at least 15 years will be needed.
Yeah he's about 8 currently (6 at the time of the Sack of Alesia.

He won't be a threat to Rome for now, but when the 490's and 500's hit, THAT is when he'll be a threat, that is what I have planned for right now. It won't be in Majorian's reign, it'll be that of his child's reign.

He will still factor into Majorian's reign however, you'll see in what way eventually.

Yeah he's about 8 currently (6 at the time of the Sack of Alesia.

He won't be a threat to Rome for now, but when the 490's and 500's hit, THAT is when he'll be a threat, that is what I have planned for right now. It won't be in Majorian's reign, it'll be that of his child's reign.

He will still factor into Majorian's reign however, you'll see in what way eventually.
Will he be a Arminus-like figure?

23: The Ostrogoths
A/N: Hello all, here is another Chapter for all of you. This time, having finished with the Vasconnes, Majorian heads East, to deal with a greater threat, The Ostrogoths. Whilst the Ostrogoths havn't been a thorn in the empires side like their Visigothic cousins have, they're certainly one to watch out for. How will Majorian deal with them? Only one way to find out.

The Ostrogoths

February 12th 463 had hit, Majorian had reached Illyria after a brief rest to recover from the first part of his campaign to Vasconia. Now it was time to retake the rest of Illyria for the Roman Empire.

Just as Nepotianus had helped for the Hispanic campaign, Marcellinus would be working with Majorian for the Illyrian Canpaign.

However, this one would be more difficult than that of the war against the Vasconnes, for their opponents this time would be the Ostrogoths, a true force to be reckoned with. Though they hadn't damaged Rome to the extent of their Visigothic cousins, that didn't mean they were any less of a threat. They had made themself a mighty force over the past decades. If they were to be driven back, preparation was needed.

For this, Majorian and Marcellinus gathered as many soldiers as they could for this upcoming campaign into Ostrogothic territory. In total, 35,000 soldiers gathered to fight for Rome.

Their planning was cut short when news reached Majorian that the Ostogoths were launching an attack on Salona, intending on taking all of Illyria for themselves. This Majorian could not allow, mobilising his forces to fight the Ostrogoths.

He was able to reach Salona first, organising 5,000 men to scout the area and then hide near the Ostrogothic line. They would report of 25,000 Ostrogoths heading to Illyria, they were fully intent on taking the land by striking first. What they didn't know was that the Romans were waiting for them.

Night would hit on the 15th February 463, the Ostrogoths were asleep in their tents, with a few guards around the site to watch for any enemies. The soldiers wait patiently, getting the guards attention, before slitting their throats. Many of these soldiers were the Vandal soldiers who were able to launch a successful initial ambush at Thuburbo Maius. They had been practucing to hone their stealth on the order of Majorian. Thanks to they, the Ostrogothic guards are dispatched without a sound. The stealthiest soldiers then make their way around the tent, poisoning the food and slaughtering the Ostrogoths in their tents.

By the time the Ostrogoths realise something is up, 500 soldiers have been slain in their sleep. The soldiers retreat into the woods before the horn is blown. The Ostrogoths were now ready to fight. But first, they needed to track down their attackers. Once several of the Ostrogoths came close enough, the Roman soldier sprang out, launchimg their attack.

In the following pandemonium that insued, a further 1,000 Ostrogoths lay dead before they were able to regroup and launch a counterattack on the Romans. The Roman quickly retreated to avoid being surrounded.

The Ostrogoths gave chase, wanting vengeance. This was a mistake however, the Romans wanted the Ostrogoths to follow them. It was a trap.

Once most of the Ostrogothic army had reached the clearing, the Ostrogoths were surrounded by the Roman forces, would where rested and ready (thanks to Majorian planning for a night battle) compared to the Ostrogoths, who were now tired from both lack of sleep and the previous chase. Combining that with superior numbers, the Ostrogoths stood no chance. The battle was short and frantic, with the Romes decisively crushing the Ostrogoths, forcing them to flee away. Over the course of the battle, 8,000 Ostrogoths died, 1,500 captured, with only 900 Romans dead by the end. It was a major victory for the Romans, so bad that the Ostrogoths would not attack the empire for a decade.

But things weren't done yet.

Following the Battle of Salona, as it would be known, the Ostrogoths would retreat to Siscia to recover, but Rome wasn't done yet. Instead of directly attacking the Ostrogothic forces however, they would go to Sirmium instead. This forced the Ostrogoths to cut their rest short, gathering up as many soldiers as possible.

Again, Romans were waiting for their them at Surmium. The Battle of Surmium would begin when the Roman charged unexpectedly at the Ostrogoths. They smashed into the Ostrogothic front line, carving them to bits. The Ostrogoths would reorganise, and prepare to be defensive. This battle was more hard-fought than at Salona, as 24,500 Ostrogoths would clash with 34,000 Romans.

The Roman would force the wings back whilst allowing the centre of the Ostrogothic line to slowly gain ground. The Ostrogothic King Valamir would eventually realise what was being planned trying to get his forces out, but they were blocked by the Legio III Aureliana, as well as the Cavalry. Valamir then tried to force his way through the centre, but the centre, made up of both the Legio I Augusta and Marcellinus's most experienced heavy cavalry, remained strong against the attack. Valamir aimed for Majorian, the emperor himself, in an attempt to disorganise Roman army. Gaudentius was prepared for this, striking out against the Ostrogothic king. His hit connected, slicing Valamir's face, blinding him. The blow wasn't a lethal one, but it had it's intended effect. The king cried out as he fell, now unable to see. This disorientated the Ostrogothic forces now lacking their main leader.

The Ostrogoths were then surrounded and forced shoulder to shoulder, there was nowhere to go. One by one, Ostrogoths dropped, refusing to surrender after 8,000 Ostrogiths had been killed however, the Ostrogoths had had enough, surrendering to the Roman forces. The remaining Ostrogoths were spared by the Romans, who were satisfied with their victory.

The Ostrogoths were then made to give up all territory south of Poetovio to the Roman Empire, with the King reluctantly agreed to, not having the man power to fight back, and his men now being fearful to.

The Ostrogothic Campaign had been a decisive victory for the Romans, they had only lost 3,500 men compared to the staggeringly high 15,000 Ostrogoths killed, and 1,500 captured, on top of the return of Roman land.

This would result in Majorian being given the name Ostrogothicus Maximus by the senate. This success also invigorated the men, which would be beneficial for the final and largest part of the Grand Campaign.

At the start of March, after some rest and finalizing the transfer of land, the Army under Majorian would head out to Gaul to confront the Burgundians.

A/N: And that is all for this Chapter! It felt good to write about Rome fighting a Germannic kingdom other than the Vandals. Let me know if you enjoyed it, your feedback is always appreciated. See you next Chapter!

Last edited: