Q-Bam Historical Map Thread

Spain's internals are off, the current model of autonomies dates to 1983. Back in 1918 Spain's first level of subdivision was the provinces, followed by the municipalities (which would be too small to fit in, what is seen in the map are comarcas [shires], which weren't created until much later). Only the Basque Country, Navarre and Catalonia (the Commonwealth there lasted from 1914 to 1925) had some degree of autonomy or power above the province level.
Well, in fact no, Spain's internal borders have been (for the most part) the same from 1833. This were Spain's subdivisions from 1833 until the 1930's.
Obviously there were not any autonomies, but just provinces grupped in Regions.
1605211176061.png

They are similar to today's Autonomous Communities but not the exact same ones.

Well, in fact no, Spain's internal borders have been (for the most part) the same from 1833. This were Spain's subdivisions from 1833 until the 1930's.
The issue with those is that they held no actual administrative power by themselves, they were more like groups of provinces than proper entities.

The issue with those is that they held no actual administrative power by themselves, they were more like groups of provinces than proper entities.
That's true. However, legally that were the first and second level administrative regions, and that's what should be represented in the map, isn't it?

That's true. However, legally that were the first and second level administrative regions, and that's what should be represented in the map, isn't it?
Technically the constitution only recognised provinces of municipalities, but permitted their association into larger regions. The same happens with today's comarcas and CCAA, the constitution doesn't technically recognise them but permits their existance through the handling of certain powers (Articles 148/149 I believe?), hence I'd only go for showing regions if they had any of that handed power, thus only Catalonia, the Basque Provinces and Navarre.

Is anyone interested in making a complete and detailed Q-Bam of the indigenous languages/tribes/social groups of america? I think it can be quite useful, and it definitely has to be a collaborative project because it is impossible for one person to cover it. we could start a new thread so as not to saturate this thread. I think there was an open thread about it but I don't find it

Last edited:
Mapping 1852 right now, a quick query.
According to its Wikipedia page, Isla Salas y Gomez was frequented by the Polynesians of easter island, but with no permanent habitation. Would it be a stretch to list the island as under their control?

Crazy Boris

Banned
Mapping 1852 right now, a quick query.
According to its Wikipedia page, Isla Salas y Gomez was frequented by the Polynesians of easter island, but with no permanent habitation. Would it be a stretch to list the island as under their control?
I think it would be, yes. AFAIK the Easter Islanders couldn't get out there after they exhausted their supplies of wood, and were just on Rapa Nui itself from then on out.

Crazy Boris

Banned
unknown.png

February 4, 1899: Start of the Philippine-American War, also featuring the Samoan Civil War and the last remnants of the Mahdists

EDIT: Some minor fixes

Last edited:
Qing Mongolian Banners
Most of these are fairly accurate, the only ones that I "guessed" on are the Jirem, Jost, and Ih Ju Leauges. And by guess I mean there was absolutely no source map of the internal borders and I based it off the banner's capital.

Mongolmoment.png

Fyi, the dark snake territory in Northern Mongolia is the Guard Post Zone.

Does any China expert know when the Zhili province expanded north into Inner Mongolia? Like there are several maps pertaining to 1820 (a)(b) which correctly have the Josutu League, and even some old map references them. Though various GIS references(note it's of 1820 too) and later maps have them eating up the Josutu and Ju Ud Leagues. I also notice a lot of the QBAM maps use the latter for Qing's internal subdivisions. According to Wikipedia, the Josutu and Ju Ud Leagues weren't dissolved until 1938? I've found no indication that the Mongolian Leagues were a completely separate administrative entity outside of the Qing provinces and prefectures, but I'm not an expert, and maybe someone which much more knowledge can shine onto it?

Last edited:
Uh so is it a good or bad thing when I georeferenced and photoshop warped this map that none of the subdivisions line up with the current ones we have..?
de18297cf30b6c8799c7c5db37896f30.png

Uh so is it a good or bad thing when I georeferenced and photoshop warped this map that none of the subdivisions line up with the current ones we have..?
The entire world map Boris has used is completely inaccurate when compared to the one in the Improvement and Core Thread. The offsetting of China's subdivisions is only a small part. (Not trying to sound like a dick but you get what I mean)

The entire world map Boris has used is completely inaccurate when compared to the one in the Improvement and Core Thread. The offsetting of China's subdivisions is only a small part. (Not trying to sound like a dick but you get what I mean)
But the same phenomenon happens when overlayed on the Improvement Thread's China subdivisions since Boris seems to be using those
fb33a7769c07349c620e1b0d19344e0e.png

I even made sure and checked my gis file with modern subdivisions and they are indeed the same in most places
0e562267318dc751d1cc982067d43bc7.png

So either someone drew the Chinese modern subdivisions from guessing or my georeference/photoshop warp is completely bonkers.
d3b6fa37ebbcdedb29cd27171a7dcaae.png

So I'm not sure which it is?

Last edited:
Does any China expert know when the Zhili province expanded north into Inner Mongolia? Like there are several maps pertaining to 1820 (a)(b) which correctly have the Josutu League, and even some old map references them. Though various GIS references(note it's of 1820 too) and later maps have them eating up the Josutu and Ju Ud Leagues. I also notice a lot of the QBAM maps use the latter for Qing's internal subdivisions. According to Wikipedia, the Josutu and Ju Ud Leagues weren't dissolved until 1938? I've found no indication that the Mongolian Leagues were a completely separate administrative entity outside of the Qing provinces and prefectures, but I'm not an expert, and maybe someone which much more knowledge can shine onto it?
I'd check with Kolchak (https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/members/admiral-a-kolchak.102674/) about that

Is anyone interested in making a complete and detailed Q-Bam of the indigenous languages/tribes/social groups of america? I think it can be quite useful, and it definitely has to be a collaborative project because it is impossible for one person to cover it. we could start a new thread so as not to saturate this thread. I think there was an open thread about it but I don't find it
I may be interested but have too many projects running together right now