An Age of Miracles Continues: The Empire of Rhomania

I'm not sure what route we could see going further. Informally it'll always be a power game - does the Army back you? Does the Church? Does the Bureaucracy? Any two and you've won. I'm not sure what direction it could formalise towards. A stratocracy wouldn't be a vast deviation, but neither would a Bureaucratic Empire - D3 essentially rose as a Bureaucrat with support from the military.

I think it might end up essentially as a state defined by a mix of paternalistic conservative institutions - nothing free-wheeling, very stable, downright boring sometimes, but reliable institutions with the Emperor essentially only acting a Commander-In-Chief and Institutional Police. It might be that the Army is always essentially the primary institution, the one that HAS to be happy, but effectively any one could raise an Emperor, maybe even the Imperial Bank at some point, it'd all be a game of who can get the Army and maybe Treasury on side.

I think we're never seeing a non-Imperial Roman State, short of a revolution, and I don't see what it'd be built around if it did, but I do see the idea of the various institutions having their own candidates, and pushing them in corridor-politics, with it only being dangerous if the Army isn't pleased, or if the Army is completely divided.

It sounds to me like you're somewhat describing the West European estate system. With the first second and third estate being the Nobles the clergy and the commons. Except in this case rather than three you've added a 4th in the form of the bureaucracy. However i don't think it particularly matters since dynatoi have been so broken and replaced with a gentry system ala England but sans a parliament.

From what I recall the guy who he had his daughter marry arguably had an even stronger blood claim, and if we take the statement about an attempt at true fiat currency likely resulting in some Strategos or Domestikos seizing power in a coup, that kind of thing still could plausibly happen in this period, in contrast to Latin Europe where it’s far more likely the ruler would be forced to abdicate to a more pliant relative instead of the rebelling general taking the crown for themselves.

I went back and re-read the very complicated and convoluted bloodlines update to make sure. Demetrios III is the senior most member of the 2nd line with Theodore being most senior of the first line. Alexandros Drakos; who Athena married; is 2nd most senior candidate following the bloodline from the last Komnenid Emperor: Ioannes VI Komnenos. For reference the current King of Prussia is the most senior member of this line.

Ioannes IV abdicated to Isaakios III Angelos in 1541 but Ioannes IV daughter, Theodora, never relinquished her claim and as such if they are willing to claim the entire current line usurpers Alexandros would have the strongest claim amongst current Rhoman citizens. With him being married now to Athena their children will combine the bloodlines and aside from current King of Prussia would be by far the strongest claimants should the Odysseus line die out.

To make matters even more complicated there is also the question of where exactly do Andreas III bastard children fall; if anywhere; in the line of succession. All 3 are essentially the step-children now of Odysseus and Maria of Agra but their exact relationship has not been fleshed out but they are all in the their teens by this point. Should Odysseus die without an heir their status could also be something to look for. Perhaps when Eastern territories need a Despotate rather than a Katepano these lines will find new power.

As for the comment of paper currency. As I have argued previously I will argue again that the threat of a Strategos becoming emperor off the shields of the army without an at least relatively strong blood claim is at this point next to zero. It remains a fear of Rhoman Emperors only because it is a cultural imprint at this point rather than any objective view of the situation.

Far more likely is if this happened the army would disintegrate. You would end up with warlords and brigands throughout the empire but Mouzalon or Gabras or Amirales would not have tried to proclaim themselves emperor. Instead they would try to find a ruler more in tune with their interests; like Odyssues, Alexandros and Andreas 3 illegitimate children; to usurp the throne from Demetrios. So really not unlike what would happen in a West European country at the same time.

I went back and re-read the very complicated and convoluted bloodlines update to make sure. Demetrios III is the senior most member of the 2nd line with Theodore being most senior of the first line. Alexandros Drakos; who Athena married; is 2nd most senior candidate following the bloodline from the last Komnenid Emperor: Ioannes VI Komnenos. For reference the current King of Prussia is the most senior member of this line.

Okay, then you were right about that. The point about the lack of formalized succession still stands though, and unless I'm misremembering several of the Emperors during the Time of Troubles had very limited blood claims, even if we exclude the two who were proclaimed by the senate* with no blood claim whatsoever, so I don't think the prospect of a Roman style military coup is quite as distant as you might suggest, though obviously it would take a massive crisis for that to happen, or a revolution that ended up devolving into a Napoleonic dictatorship; that last possibility is something I find rather interesting.

* Which is how we know that there's still no formal succession laws even though it's been more than 1500 years since Augustus was proclaimed Emperor.

Last edited:
Okay, then you were right about that. The point about the lack of formalized succession still stands though, and unless I'm misremembering several of the Emperors during the Time of Troubles had very limited blood claims, even if we exclude the two who were proclaimed by the senate* with no blood claim whatsoever, so I don't think the prospect of a Roman style military coup is quite as distant as you might suggest, though obviously it would take a massive crisis for that to happen, or a revolution that ended up devolving into a Napoleonic dictatorship; that last possibility is something I find rather interesting.

* Which is how we know that there's still no formal succession laws even though it's been more than 1500 years since Augustus was proclaimed Emperor.

I'm home in quarantine so I have wayyyyyy more time than usual to follow up with this stuff.

1) I mean it's called the Time of Troubles for a reason. Normal conventions and ordering of society broke down under a string a weak, corrupt, or short lived emperors.

2) In fact the conventions for inheritance worked surprisingly well using blood claims:
a) Heraklios II Komnenos - eldest son of Andreas I
b) Nikephoros IV Komnenos - eldest surviving son of Andreas I aside from the one faking down syndrome ( Prince Theodoros)
- keep in mind it should not have gone to him but to Heraklios II son Alexios but Nikephoros staged a suicide of Heraklios and forced the entire family out of Rome but also did have to fight a war which he eventually lost and was killed/deposed
c) Alexios VI Komnenos - eldest son of Heraklios II (no direct heirs)
d) Alexeia I Komnena - eldest daughter of Heraklios II (no direct heirs)
e) Iaonnes VI Komnenos - first of the usurpers but still with a blood claim (a cousin of some kind) (no direct heirs)
f) Isaakios I Angelos - first to be raised by the shields but never in Constantinople (concurrent with Ioannes VI never crowned in Hagia Sophia)
g-j) string of usurpers/generals after all authority had more or less broken down (only Giorgios Laskaris and Andreas II Drakos had any real legitimate blood claims and even those are distant)
k) Andreas II Drakos - Only one left standing at the end of the TOT with any legitimacy and is proclaimed emperor
l) Helena I Drakina - Eldest (adopted) child of Andreas II
m) Demetrios II - Eldest surviving son of Helena I (her eldest son was executed for trying to usurp the throne with the support of the army ironically)

So only at the absolute nadir of the Time of Troubles when massive invasions were being done both East and West and the legitimate claimants kept dying without leaving/naming heirs did blood stop being important and as soon as it stabilized again blood once again became important again. I would also point out that the sole claimant proclaimed by the Senate Manuel IV Klados tried to sell off half the Roman Empire to the Ottomans and than use the Ottomans in Europe to fight Milan. He will remain a powerful counter-argument to any and all attempts by the senate to be allowed to elect an emperor. It is a damning and powerful argument against popular democracy.

Also there are rarely formal "laws" governing succession as we understand it in the modern day. It is nothing more than convention that gets written down and might makes right. It is the reason there were so many succession wars in Europe throughout the 16-18th centuries.

I would also point out that the sole claimant proclaimed by the Senate Manuel IV Klados tried to sell off half the Roman Empire to the Ottomans and than use the Ottomans in Europe to fight Milan. He will remain a powerful counter-argument to any and all attempts by the senate to be allowed to elect an emperor. It is a damning and powerful argument against popular democracy.

There was actually one other emperor proclamied by a senate, some old veteran named Papagos who seemed competent enough but was also really old and had no children, leading that utter buffoon being proclaimed Emperor when he died after a few months. But yeah, that's definitely a mark against democratic governance, which isn't really my point: At the end of the day, given what happened with France and Russia (and China), history clearly shows that staunch commitment to autocratic rule makes it all the more likely that Rhomania would face some sort of revolution in more modern times. That wouldn't necessarily lead to a democracy (and certainly not immediately), but I really do think hereditary rule has to go at some point if the office of Emperor is to continue to exist into modernity with actual political power.

Last edited:
Since when is the byzantine senate a democratic institution? The thing was hereditary or the title given out by the emperor as a mark of prestige.

It sounds to me like you're somewhat describing the West European estate system. With the first second and third estate being the Nobles the clergy and the commons. Except in this case rather than three you've added a 4th in the form of the bureaucracy. However i don't think it particularly matters since dynatoi have been so broken and replaced with a gentry system ala England but sans a parliament.

If I have it was unintentional! It was meant to be more discrete, like The Treasury, The Office of Barbarians, The Army, The Exarchate(?) of the East, etc. Obviously there are more powerful and weaker ones, i.e. The Army is stronger than the Office of Barbarians, but the Exarchate of the East is strong enough to be a problem (and is easily an exception to the rule of institutional interdependence). I've suggested before about a State-Owned Red Sea Company for handling that leg of trade, but that, or a Suez Canal Company are fiscally powerful, but if the Navy comes along? They'll probably be easily swayed to support the same guy as the Navy.

I'm not suggesting an institutional civil war, at least, not seriously - the only ones that could really manage that would be the Exarchates, Despotates, Army or Navy - but I can see it be internally belligerent.

Since when is the byzantine senate a democratic institution? The thing was hereditary or the title given out by the emperor as a mark of prestige.
Since it's inception officially, but usually in the sense of being elected by the army after the senate became a rubber stamp.

There was actually one other emperor proclamied by a senate, some old veteran named Papagos who seemed competent enough but was also really old and had no children, leading that utter buffoon being proclaimed Emperor when he died after a few months. But yeah, that's definitely a mark against democratic governance, which isn't really my point: At the end of the day, given what happened with France and Russia (and China), history clearly shows that staunch commitment to autocratic rule makes it all the more likely that Rhomania would face some sort of revolution in more modern times. That wouldn't necessarily lead to a democracy (and certainly not immediately), but I really do think hereditary rule has to go at some point if the office of Emperor is to continue to exist into modernity with actual political power.
Why are you suggesting another civil war in Rhomania? Have the Romans forgotten what happens every single fu****** time they had a civil war? It has always and nearly destroyed the empire, I doubt the people will sort of revolt when it's emperor is of a Sideros. The Sideros family by this point of the timeline will be known as a massive supporter of the middle, and lower class.

As long the imperial family stays it's course on supporting the common people, any short of rebellion will occur less likely. Now if the state has to adapt to be flexible then sure it would but not under the threat of a fc rebellion.

Gotta agree with @E_x_c_u_b_i_t_o_r_e here. Gonna take a lot to get the lower/middle classes to revolt. And the fact that the dynatoi have been essentially neutered during and after the War of the Roman Succession coupled with the fact that that the army is both paid in cash and loves Odysseus means they'll be loyal to the throne as well.

It is more likely Rhomania is outright taken over by a foreign power (which is very unlikely at this point for a bevy of reasons) than the Sideros clan is overthrown at this stage of the game.

Question 1: does the Roman Senate in Constantinople even exist at this point? If so, what does it do now?

Question 2: did anyone ever, in all of imperial history, pass a law saying that the Roman state is anything besides what the Republic defined it as (i.e. the Senate and People of Rome)?

Question 1: does the Roman Senate in Constantinople even exist at this point? If so, what does it do now?

It still existed as of the time of troubles and proclaimed two empires at the nadir of that crisis, and there was at one point a proposal for the senate to act as Constantinople's city council. However, at this point it's more or less just an honorary title given/sold to noteworthy people. As for your second question, idk.

Why are you suggesting another civil war in Rhomania? Have the Romans forgotten what happens every single fu****** time they had a civil war? It has always and nearly destroyed the empire, I doubt the people will sort of revolt when it's emperor is of a Sideros. The Sideros family by this point of the timeline will be known as a massive supporter of the middle, and lower class.

The risk of some sort of revolution at this point is minimal, but I think you're giving dynasties too much credit with regards to maintaining consistent policy. There's no reason to think that will still be the case 150+ years from now, especially as the TTL enlightenment rolls in. Considering the absolutism, the highly educated and urban population, the colonial policy oriented towards governing colonies as an integral part of the nation, the prospensity for civil unrest, not to mention the guillotines Rhomania ITTL has a distinctly French feeling.

Last edited:
Roman economics: Roman economic performance will likely suffer in some ways since outside investments will be difficult and the state will sometimes intervene heavy-handed into the financial/economic sector. But then there is the risk of going too far on the other side and just letting the free market run wild and have crazy boom-bust cycles, which are bad for stability and faith in the system, which is not what the Roman government wants.

Once emotions calm down, the Roman government will start looking at this incident more analytically, asking how they can get the benefits of fractional reserve without creating crises like this. After all, Demetrios III didn’t eliminate it; he just wanted the common-knowledge 3:1 ratio to be kept. The crisis hit not because the ratio was breached which happened well beforehand, but because everyone knew the rules, and the crisis hit once they knew that someone was epically breaking them, which made them panic at every shock, and that was what crashed the system. The key is to maintain trust in the system, so that shocks (which are inevitable) don’t become lethal through panics, and the best way to do that is to have clear rules and make it absolutely crystal clear that everyone, and I mean everyone, has to play by them, or else. Hence the displays at the Imperial Bank; it is a reminder to everyone to play by the rules or suffer the consequences, and that no one is exempt.

Also as @HanEmpire noted, this whole incident and that same display also creates a precedent for the Roman government to both tackle corruption in high places and also work to secure the public welfare. The Roman people expect that and know it’s been done in the past, so a current administration’s failure to do so would not go down so well with the Roman populace. A Roman chemical company poisons tens of thousands of Romans. The Roman people would expect the government to make heads roll at that company, and if the government fails to do so, the Roman people will make heads roll at the government for failing to fulfill its part of the social contract.

This is not to say that the Roman government’s fight against corruption and concern for social welfare is altruistic, far from it. But this ties into a view on economic growth expressed by Theodoros IV in the ‘A Diet of Pepper’ update which expresses general Roman policy. At the end of the update, note that Theodoros IV’s goal was not to make the pig as fat as possible just for the sake of having the fattest pig possible. He wanted the fattest pig possible, but also one that can slaughtered at the proper season. A bigger pig that escapes into the woods is useless to him.

What that means is that the Roman government won’t look at economic growth and view it as a goal, an end unto itself. Economic growth is a means to two ends. Firstly, furthering increasing the strength, vitality, stability, and authority of the Roman state. Second, securing the welfare of the Roman people, which ties into the first end, since people with full stomachs tend not to revolt. Economy growth that doesn’t support those two ends is, from their perspective, worthless. Economic growth that pushes lines on a graph up but that ends up all funneling into the coffers of the top 1% is not wanted in this system. In fact, not only is such growth worthless, it is actively unwanted. Because in such a paradigm, the 99% would naturally get angry at the situation, which threatens the stability of the Roman state. And because of the disproportionately extra resources at their disposal, the 1% in their own right pose a greater threat to the authority of the Roman state.

Now this system is by no means perfect. If nothing else, nobody keeps to the script forever. Furthermore, promoting the welfare of the general public would also include education, and a more educated populace will want more say in government and may not be satisfied with ‘join the civil service then’. There will be tensions and cracks, and probably the occasional explosion too, but that is the way of all things.

Dang, good grim update. Demetrios III is going out with a bang.

edit. Andronikos's line is dead I should think, no way his wife can remarry and basically zero chance his son will find a match.
They'll probably change their names, or leave Rhomania, probably both.
Will they be allowed to though?

Wife would certainly revert back to maiden name and son would take that name as well. Even so, they’re social pariahs. Emigration to Georgia or one of the Russian principalities would be the best for them, although good luck convincing customs to let them export any money to live on.

Demetrios III really does not mess around. He's probably the second most vindictive Emperor that we've ever laid our eyes on besides Andreas Niketas and his complete destruction of Venice. Well that just goes to show that you don't mess with a former bureaucrat, especially if they're the man in charge.

Also this probably falls into one the best quotes from this timeline, in my opinion.

WAIT WHAT.

As much as I like to see Anna and her gang back, to think that they were deliberately chosen to EAT Andronikos is absolutely insane. Even though I expected some pretty gruesome execution out of the perpetrators out of the scandal, this probably takes the cake. I just have have absolutely no words to describe my exact reaction to this.
----
So far the Romans are experiencing a severe depression after this scandal, and their inflexibility of their economy is seriously going to hamper the central government's efforts in actually recovering from this catastrophe. More importantly, this crisis is also affecting the military with warship production being cancelled and the army unsatisfied with the measures the government has to take in paying the soldiers under such a crisis. The Latins are definitely going to take note of this, as will the Ottomans, seeing that Rhomania is incapable of mounting an offensive campaign against them. We'll just have to see if they're willing to pounce at a weakened opponent, even one as formidable as the Roman Empire.

It'll be interesting to see how Rhomania's economic model will evolve in the future after the scandal, as they're far less willing to let banks or perhaps even private companies possess the same freedom that Latin countries might have in the future, which could be similar to OTL's Western countries. Some might say that the central government's control is extremely authoritarian, which it is, but considering Rome's history of centralized control and distrust of Republicanism ever since the Classical Era, citizens might just see it as normal or even justified to prevent decadence and corruption.

D3 is definitely going out with a bang with an extremely gratuitous display of violence at the aftermath of the scandal, although Odysseus's final words is quite the ominous cliffhanger. Who knows what could happen between father and son?

As a final question, how do Romans depict dinosaurs? Did they manage to draw them more closely to modern depictions today or are they more in line with what Britain thought of dinosaurs as of the 19th century?

The part in ‘The Fall of Men’ where Jahzara said “I thank a merciful God that Demetrios Sideros lacked ambition”, I was thinking of this specifically. Consider a mind that could imagine such a thing and then orchestrate it. Then have it want power.

Roman depiction of dinosaurs in comparable to more modern depictions (think Jurassic Park), although that’s solely because that is how Odysseus styled them in his paintings and that is what enters the Roman popular imagination.

Woah this update was friggin amazing, it really pulled me into the AoM universe in a way that I haven't felt in a while. So is Salzburg a Rhoman vassal still or has it lost all ties with the empire?

Once the Archbishop paid what he promised, he’s free and clear.

Is there a map for the current situation anywhere?

There’s the September 1634 map @DracoLazarus made which is threadmarked, and @Frame has been doing maps fairly regularly.

Theordoros IV is looking down smiling, "huh why didn't I think of that."

I don’t know if Theodoros IV would like the idea of paper money. Not shiny enough.

Haven't gotten AOM chills like this since the Night of the Tocsins, can you believe it's over 2 years?!

I'm in the camp of Rhomania being a great power, B444 himself said they'll be part of the big boys club but not the top dog.

In terms of sheer material resources they can't really compete, and China and India will be more competitive TTL so it'll be impossible to have a global superpower like the British Empire or USA dominating world affairs.

So in 2 OTL years, I’ve moved 8 TTL years. Well, I guess that means I don’t have to worry about the Industrial Revolution because at this rate I’ll die of old age before I get there…

Without Egypt, Italy, (and this is mostly because the ERE looks hideous on a map with the Levant but not Egypt) the Levant, modern Rhomania could still be a globally relevant nation with a status similar to the "big three" of West/Central Europe (France, the UK, and Germany), which despite no longer being top powers remain major developed nations.

I’m really surprised that you’re the first person to say so, because I’ve been thinking ever since Egypt became a Despotate that Rhomania is a real eyesore on the map. Either Egypt needs to be re-integrated (doubtful because culturally/socially it’s becoming its own thing) or the Levant needs to be taken off as its own Despotate, because those are ugly borders. Most of the religious minorities in the Empire are based in Syria, so that might be the springboard for a separate identity that eventually results in the creation of a Despotate of Syria.

Mid-level power: Middle-level power is relative. For modern Rhomania, picture it as a great power, but in a world that also has a couple of superpowers too.

Egypt: Rhomania wouldn’t willingly give away Egypt. It’d be like the loss of North Africa to the Western Roman Empire. It wasn’t done willingly and is a sign that things are going wrong elsewhere, and this is one of the symptoms.

That said, Egypt is definitely culturally and socially distinct from the Roman heartland, to a degree that Sicily isn’t. Being kept by force under centralized control from Constantinople would not go well, and even if Rhomania had the power to do so long-term it’d be a constantly simmering source of trouble. Giving them some level of autonomy while keeping them in the Imperial framework (sort of like a Despotate, fancy that) is the best and cheapest long-term solution.

Roman Democracy, Autocracy, and Revolution: Roman political developments in the coming centuries could be quite interesting, and no I have decided how it’s going to play out quite yet. Democracy will have a harder sell because of its cultural baggage, but that doesn’t make it impossible. Just picture if an Emperor does let the dynatoi screw over the common folk, especially after the precedent just set. How long before the commoners decide if that’s the case, what’s the point of having an Emperor at all? A French-style revolution could be on the cards (the Zealots are a possible inspiration from OTL). If it ended in a Napoleonic monarchy that endured to the present day, that’d still leave Rhomania as a monarchy.

Autocracy of the current 1630s variety though definitely can’t last forever. That will have to change in some way or another, and if the Basileus tries to resist it kicking and screaming, he’ll end up like the Tsars.

Succession System: Yeah, the Roman/Byzantine succession system was ‘we don’t have a system’. Often times it functioned as a de facto hereditary succession. The Macedonian dynasty is a good example of that. But then you have the Palaiologoi, which lasted two centuries but with constant infighting between family members for the throne. Probably no official system will be put into writing until if and when a ‘Roman Constitution’ appears and this is one of the areas it covers.

Honestly this seems excessive. We are talking about a 22 year depression which is quite literally an entire generation. The longest one I could think of was appropriately called "long depression" in 1873 which lasted 65 months or about 5.5 years. A quick google search also shows the UK had the post-Napoleonic depression which lasted 9 years. I guess the question I would have here is..is this entire period marked by economic contraction (the definition of depression/recession) or was it meant more as "the economy did not regain the dynamism of the 1630's until 1660 though the depression itself was over by 164X" as that is very different things. 22years of contraction would leave Rome a husk by the end of it. A period of sharp retraction followed by a prolonged period of stagnation/minimal growth on the other hand would still leave Rhome in a powerful position.

Point taken. The section has been revised as the following:

The longer-term effects play out over years, well past the end of Demetrios III’s reign. When the depression ends is uncertain, and depends on the metrics one uses. Latin economists typically date the end as 1644-45, when some growth appears after the collapse and stagnation of the preceding years. Roman economists on the other hand use 1660 as the earliest end date of the depression, since that is the earliest point when it can be argued that the Roman economy regains its 1630s level. In Roman economic theory, a depression is defined as the period of contraction as well as the time needed to regain the lost ground as ‘just because one has started the process of climbing out of the hole doesn’t mean one isn’t still in the hole’.

Whoo, what an update. That was quite... exciting. I wonder when the Green Ships will bite the Romans at the most inconvenient point...

By the way, the canal in question between the Mediterranean and Red Seas kinda already exists, going from the Red Sea to the Nile at Marienburg am Nil. While its military application is quite limited at this point, it is still the most powerful economic vein that Rhomania controls.

Considering that this canal joins the Nile, and not the Mediterranean directly, I'd say that Lower Egypt at the very least will be remaining under Roman oversight for a good few centuries.

Hmm... given that this canal already exists, would the Romans, in the 19th century, still build a direct Red-to-Med connection, or follow the old canal to the Nile?

They’d build a direct connection. Trying to sail a battleship down the Nile to Cairo to reach the Canal would not end well.

It still existed as of the time of troubles and proclaimed two empires at the nadir of that crisis, and there was at one point a proposal for the senate to act as Constantinople's city council. However, at this point it's more or less just an honorary title given/sold to noteworthy people. As for your second question, idk.

The risk of some sort of revolution at this point is minimal, but I think you're giving dynasties too much credit with regards to maintaining consistent policy. There's no reason to think that will still be the case 150+ years from now, especially as the TTL enlightenment rolls in. Considering the absolutism, the highly educated and urban population, the colonial policy oriented towards governing colonies as an integral part of the nation, the prospensity for civil unrest, not to mention the guillotines Rhomania ITTL has a distinctly French feeling.
Rome isn't like the French, your forgetting yourself. They aren't spent declaring one wars after the other. They have a very different system of governance and more aware than any other nations combined. The dangers of what you are exactly suggesting, have happened in Rome for these past centuries. Granted not all, but they have certainly felt the need to prioritise fixing those kind of problems, because those problems are the worst to deal with. Civil wars have happened frequently on Rome throughout its 2000 + years of living as a civilization.

Your right about the high literacy come the age of enlightenment. But seriously why would those same Romans living on the empire fucking rebel? The Romans doesn't need to have the age of enlightenment because it already had one (well sort of). They just need to advance their knowledge further because strictly speaking in terms of how far they are in the tech line. Their way far ahead than any other nation.

Not all ofcourse, and some people also spoke or rather speculated that TTL age of enlightenment would be vastly different, since there is a great divergence of our otl. So strictly speaking the otl event where the power of Monarchs have been sharply curtailed or outright destroyed. Won't simply happen like that. Rome and possibly other countries (Very likely) will still have it's absolute ruler in total control of their respective countries. However that will only happen if they happened to have the thousand years of suffering through periods of great changes. Out of all the countries in this TTL only 'very' few actually experienced that sort of thing. The destructive democracy that is so rampant in our otl will be fought naturally by other existing ideologies.

Besides @Basileus444 wanted a more multipolar world and having the same OTL event happen will only make the TTL world more likely the same as ours.

I’m really surprised that you’re the first person to say so, because I’ve been thinking ever since Egypt became a Despotate that Rhomania is a real eyesore on the map. Either Egypt needs to be re-integrated (doubtful because culturally/socially it’s becoming its own thing) or the Levant needs to be taken off as its own Despotate, because those are ugly borders. Most of the religious minorities in the Empire are based in Syria, so that might be the springboard for a separate identity that eventually results in the creation of a Despotate of Syria.
Isn't Syria-palastinea almost completely Greek? What's the point of that Despotate if they're just gonna give it up on the future? Egypt that problematic region was given up out of pragmatism, but Syria? The borders looks good as it is, giving up direct control on the sinan peninsula seems to me that its likely to even further the egos of those living in Egypt. Besides haven't many Romans died in the levant, and Mesopotamia? Why give it up? I would think that the state would want actual direct control there because of strategic reasons. And an added bonus of deterring foreign encroachment.

I was under that impression as well. Syria and the Levant has been heavily depopulated, and the coastal cities that exude cultural influence are all Greek.

I think that might depend on how the demographics of Syria and the Levant have changed ever since that Muslim rebellion a while ago. Are the Arabs still mostly Muslims or is it a Melkite majority? I haven't read that far back but the region could've also been depopulated and replaced by Roman settlers, so depending on how events played out, we could end up with a Syria either subsumed into Rhomania proper or left as a despotate that could turn out as an independent country like Egypt. I certainly don't think a Rhomania that has Italy/Apulia, Hellas, the Haemus/Balkans, Anatolia, and the Levant to be that ugly. The Roman Empire takes on many forms but ugly is not what I would describe them all.

As for Mesopotamia, if it ever becomes part of the Roman Empire again, I tend to think that it would become some sort of separate entity due to the continued presence of Assyrians, Kurds, Arabs, and etc. While it's probably Hellenized to an extent, there could be some distinctions that would make them different from the standard Roman that would justify their calls for secession from the Roman state. Honestly, that would be a pretty interesting map in the future, with Egypt, Rhomania, and Mesopotamia forming the nucleus of a strong Roman presence in the Middle East against a divided Arabia and Persia.

Also given the relationship that Egypt and Rhomania have, the Romans will most certainly keep the Suez Canal for themselves, and they might even maintain it to present day, since any complaints from the Egyptians could be struck down under a Roman heel since they're much closer to the canal than Britain/France before any foreign intervention arrives.

Also as @HanEmpire noted, this whole incident and that same display also creates a precedent for the Roman government to both tackle corruption in high places and also work to secure the public welfare. The Roman people expect that and know it’s been done in the past, so a current administration’s failure to do so would not go down so well with the Roman populace. A Roman chemical company poisons tens of thousands of Romans. The Roman people would expect the government to make heads roll at that company, and if the government fails to do so, the Roman people will make heads roll at the government for failing to fulfill its part of the social contract.
It reminds me of John Locke's view on the right of revolution, where the people are obliged to overthrow the government when it fails to fulfill the social contract and the welfare of the people, although the Romans already know this as a fact of life in their own society long before some Western philosophers postulated this thought. It's also ironic that Romans would most likely use this to justify more authoritarian governments than Westerners would probably be comfortable with. I think the major difference is that the Romans desire stability and a person's duty towards the state above all else (even Emperors), whereas the Latin West might become more individualistic and liberal similar to OTL.

I'm hoping that Romans continue to make this distinction between themselves, even if they democratize in the future, mainly because Rhomania as a carbon copy of the West would be insanely boring and probably out of character for a conservative and long-lived society as the Roman Empire.

Last edited:

Cryostorm

Monthly Donor
I don't know, that border looks pretty good overall, probably messed up the Rhomania/Serbian and Rhomania/Ottoman/Georgian border but overall it isn't a bad looking heartland, especially since you have to add in Venice and Malta as well even if nothing else.
Rhomania Possibility.png

OTL this nation would easily be the reigning power in the region.

I'm hoping that Romans continue to make this distinction between themselves, even if they democratize in the future, mainly because Rhomania as a carbon copy of the West would be insanely boring and probably out of character for a conservative and long-lived society as the Roman Empire.

I rather dislike the whole trope of "the West" as some kind of monolith, there's some pretty substantial distinctions to be made in terms of the political culture and systems between France, the United States, Germany, and Sweden, four countries which are democratic and nominally part of "the West". If Rhomania ended up democratizing, I imagine the specific political culture would reflect the local history and sensibilities much as it does IRL, this timeline is far too well researched for anything else. I also wouldn't exactly call Rhomania ITTL conservative; in some respects it has a rather radical culture, which has spurred both innovation and a proclivity to infighting. I could easily see them being the first to enact women's suffrage, but the last to enact truly universal suffrage with no weighting based on education or wealth.

Rome isn't like the French, your forgetting yourself. They aren't spent declaring one wars after the other. They have a very different system of governance and more aware than any other nations combined. The dangers of what you are exactly suggesting, have happened in Rome for these past centuries. Granted not all, but they have certainly felt the need to prioritise fixing those kind of problems, because those problems are the worst to deal with. Civil wars have happened frequently on Rome throughout its 2000 + years of living as a civilization.

If Oddyseus has anything to say that point about war exhaustion could easily change. WRT the system of governance, the strong meritocratic culture and long history of military coups and civil wars honestly gives more legitimacy to the idea that a government which violates the social contract can and should be overthrown; @Lascaris made this same point. Just being old doesn't guarantee stability, China being a 5000+ year old civilization with a long history of civil wars didn't prevent it from having an incredibly turbulent time in the 19th-20th centuries.

Besides @Basileus444 wanted a more multipolar world and having the same OTL event happen will only make the TTL world more likely the same as ours.

While modern historians are rightly skeptical of grand unifying theories of history, there are definitely some events that feel a bit more preordained than others. For example, the ingredients for successful industrialization-high literacy, highly mobile, highly urbanized population, free flow of information and capital-along with industrial era technology itself are incredibly potent force multipliers for the masses, making it far easier for them to be incensed to action against a government which violates to social contract, and far more likely to be successful in doing so. That industrialization/the prelude to industrialization will usher in an era of mass politics is one of those things that seems almost inevitable.

Last edited: