Alternate Civilizations

Elaborating further on the concept of civilizations as defined by Toynbee and Huntington, identifying them with major religions - which civilizations could have made it?

For my part, I would be wondering how the Mississippians, the Pueblos and the Malinese may have developed

Elaborating further on the concept of civilizations as defined by Toynbee and Huntington, identifying them with major religions - which civilizations could have made it?

For my part, I would be wondering how the Mississippians, the Pueblos and the Malinese may have developed
So maybe 19th Century Madagascar becomes a modernized industialized state.

There is something peculiar to the civilizations. There are usually two peoples which make up a civilization. A junior and a senior nation. Usually it is the junior partner of an earlier civilization which becomes the senior partner of the newer civilization, combined with the newly arrived peoples in a Völkerwanderung.

Prior to the establishment of a universal state you get a battle between two countries- one based on culture and trade and the other on military, only to be defeated by the fake unificator - a semi barbarian which wished to unify the civilization but didn't do so in the long term.

Ultimately, the unification is brought upon by the junior partner.

See the Sumerian civilization being composed of the senior Sumerians and the elder Akkadian. The Aegean /Minoan with a senior Minoans and junior Myceneans. The Syriac with a senior Semites and junior Iranians and the Hellenistic with senior Greeks and junior Latins.

The Western has a Latin senior and a Germanic junior partner. The Byzantine has a senior Greek and junior Slavic partner. Similarly the Persian civilization has a senior Iranian and a junior Turkic partner.

Would be news to the folks in Mali that they didn't have civilization, considering they had major cities, intensified farming and long range trade routes for thousands of years.

Last edited:

So maybe have a significant Northern/Central European civilisation based on Celts perhaps that is defined as a ,High Culture' with major population centers and even script.

Last edited:
How about in the Lena-Yana River basins (northeastern Siberia), particularly if it involved the relatives of the ancestors of First Americans who managed to stay there?

Last edited: