Possible candidates for a post-independence Chilean monarchy?

I will keep this short. Let's say that, after Chile declares its independence from Spain, they decide to have a constitutional monarchy in order to preserve order and civility in the political scene and to avoid the failed republics and constant coups and civil wars that happen in other Latin American countries. The Government Junta of Chile, instead of recognizing Ferdinand of Spain as their ruler, decides to find their own monarch. My question is, what potential candidates are there in 1810 who would be willing to travel to Chile to become King of Chile?

I am looking for a list of eligible men in 1810 who are
- European nobles or princes
- Not already the rulers of any state
- Between the age of 18 and 40
- Not first in line to inherit any other throne
- Not the future monarch of any other nation
- Willing to actually accept the Chilean throne

Now, this entire thing is up for discussion. If you choose, we could try to think of reasons for the Government Junta to choose to form an independent constitutional monarchy. How would this new Kingdom of Chile function? Would it borrow from the Westminster system, or would the King have more powers, filling the role that the President plays in most other Latin American countries? (I would prefer the latter, but it doesn't matter.) Would this Chile be stronger than the Chile we know today? What house would the monarch be from? I appreciate any and all replies that this thread gets.

Last edited:
How about the Dukes in Bavaria?
Maximilian Joseph pretty much fits everything you want. He's a fairly prominent, young catholic european noble, but not a ruler of anything nor in line to inherit anything (anytime soon), so he has relatively few other prospects and may actually entertain the idea of travelling far from home to become king of a newfound state to make his mark on history.

A Catholic Hohenzollern? Chile was even nickname little prussia too

I just looked into it, and I don't think it's possible. Anton Aloys, Prince of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen from 1785 to 1831, only had one son, Karl. His son Karl had four children, but only two of them were men. The first son, Karl Anton, was only born in 1811 while the other son was born in 1820. There doesn't seem to be an available candidate from this princely house at the time, although it would be interesting to see.

I just looked into it, and I don't think it's possible. Anton Aloys, Prince of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen from 1785 to 1831, only had one son, Karl. His son Karl had four children, but only two of them were men. The first son, Karl Anton, was only born in 1811 while the other son was born in 1820. There doesn't seem to be an available candidate from this princely house at the time, although it would be interesting to see.
A shame the Wettins or Witelbasch could be other too

How about the Dukes in Bavaria?
Maximilian Joseph pretty much fits everything you want. He's a fairly prominent, young catholic european noble, but not a ruler of anything nor in line to inherit anything (anytime soon), so he has relatively few other prospects and may actually entertain the idea of travelling far from home to become king of a newfound state to make his mark on history.

Could you provide a link to his wikipedia page? A quick search on the web only showed me "Duke Maximilian Joseph in Bavaria," who was born in 1808. I don't think the Chileans would want a toddler running them, but I could have the wrong guy.

A shame the Wettins or Witelbasch could be other too

I will look into the House of Wettin and the House of Wittelsbach. I keep running into dead ends with the Wettins, but the Wittelsbachs might be different. Thank you for your suggestion.

Archduke Charles.

European noble? If he were any nobler he'd have the Habsburg chin.

Not the ruler of any state? Yup, his older brother took the throne, and after 1809 he basically gave up on all military and political involvement.

First in line for any other throne? Nope, his older brother has a son, so he's effectively out of the line of Austrian Succession.

Willing to accept? Probably, not like he has anything better to do.

Only box he doesn't tick is age, but like... being a bit older than ideal is a fair trade off for the second greatest military mind of the Napoleonic Era.

Could you provide a link to his wikipedia page? A quick search on the web only showed me "Duke Maximilian Joseph in Bavaria," who was born in 1808. I don't think the Chileans would want a toddler running them, but I could have the wrong guy.
The Chilean War of Independence ended in 1826.