The Campaign Trail Game Has Returned.

Tonight, I did two 1860 Lincoln/Hamlin runs: in the first one, I run on abolitionism, homestead and high tariffs but lost voters with support for civil rights, going to visit Seward and doing speeches in New York. I got a hung college.
In the second run, I did the same excepted I opposed civil rights for blacks, invited Seward to Springfield, ignoted national bank and went to Ohio since New York was largely for me and Illinois had less votes.

In the second time I got 181 votes, Douglas got Missouri, Bell Tennessee, Maryland and Kentucky, Breckinridge the South, and did better than 99.9% of the players. Impressive when I didn't play since months.
Honest Abe can usually win with civil rights if you ignore the bank issue and invite Seward instead of visiting him.

I wish there was more you can do with Wallace. At his peak IOTL he was making inroads into the midwest and polling above 20% nationally, and yet in game all you can do is pour everything into winning one of Tennessee or South Carolina and just hope Nixon and Humphrey deadlock.

He's very boring to play as, which is weird considering how insane he was.

Played as Bush on normal difficulty with Colin Powell as my running mate, ran as a moderate conservative and won more of the electoral vote than OTL but still lost the popular vote.
552C147B-32D3-4751-B0CC-AC31D75D0ECF.jpeg

Last edited:
Lincoln 1860.png

Just getting back into playing after a few years out of my radar; went into 1860 as Lincoln with the goal of completing cutting out Douglas and the Democrats. It so nearly worked. He won his only two College votes in New Jersey, although he wasn't too far from winning Missouri.

This is with those "conditional variables" adjusted, as talked about upthread, right?

It is. The fun thing is to change the variable to the perfect value so that the game is winnable with Wallace as a candidate but so that it's still a challenge. If you select too high a number you'll just end up winning a 538-electoral-vote landslide and that's no fun.

I've won as Douglas in 1860 and Nader in 2000 using this technique too x'D. Kudos to the game designer for programming winning screens for these even though he must have assumed almost no one will ever see them.

Last edited:
Playing as Nixon in 1960 with Dirksen as my running mate on normal difficulty, had a deadlocked election because I lost Pennsylvania by only 720 votes
84DE0FCA-F0CB-445A-B475-30002733E7F2.jpeg

Same, it would be very interesting to play as them

Maybe Breckinridge could be a candidate solely limited to the South (I don't think slavery would be a good selling point in the North, apart if he manages to run as part of an anti-Lincoln coalition); would Bell try to go beyond Border states by choosing to appease either the North or the South.

In the earlier days of this game, you could select an option to have 100 questions. I can't quite recall whether they were all unique or whether the same questions came up three or four times.

It is. The fun thing is to change the variable to the perfect value so that the game is winnable with Wallace as a candidate but so that it's still a challenge. If you select too high a number you'll just end up winning a 538-electoral-vote landslide and that's no fun.

I've won as Douglas in 1860 and Nader in 2000 using this technique too x'D. Kudos to the game designer for programming winning screens for these even though he must have assumed almost no one will ever see them.
How do you get them?

1916 as Hughes on normal, with Hughes running an outright progressive, anti-war campaign:

I think this is interesting as a plausible way a straight Wilson -Roosevelt fight in 1912 with Roosevelt as the official Republican nominee could have gone. I think Wilson's nationwide popular vote percentage of 49.7% and margin of 4% is higher than he would have gotten. Note that Hughes still could win an EV victory in this scenario by flipping Massachusetts, Connecticut, West Virginia, and Washington, all with Wilson margins under 3% and all but Connecticut with Wilson margins under 2%.

Won as Dukakis with Al Gore easily in the electoral college 384 to 154, but the most remarkable thing about this result and have been playing this game for years, is the fact that Bush carried Arkansas by just 1 vote, yes just 1 vote!! Never in all the games I have played has a state been that close!!

@President Jack Kemp Oh so is possible to won as Nader ?,I thinked that this option don't even exist lol.
You can win with Nader by an exploit where if you select a choice in the game and it has an advisor prompt you can repeat the response as much as you want with spacebar or enter and it will keep affecting the game then press tab and space which will bring up the map and then choose again and the game will continue with the choice you held space or enter on being multiplied leading to increased changes on the map. You can do this on all scenarios I think.
Edit: Here's a result I got by using the exploit
Screenshot_2020-10-23 The Campaign Trail - A Presidential Election Game(1).png
Screenshot_2020-10-23 The Campaign Trail - A Presidential Election Game.png

Last edited:
You can win with Nader by an exploit where if you select a choice in the game and it has an advisor prompt you can repeat the response as much as you want with spacebar or enter and it will keep affecting the game then press tab and space which will bring up the map and then choose again and the game will continue with the choice you held space or enter on being multiplied leading to increased changes on the map. You can do this on all scenarios I think.
Edit: Here's a result I got by using the exploit
View attachment 593309View attachment 593310
Not working for me at least on the poll map unless it only works in the final results
I use chrome Windows 10 and tried the 2000 and both of the 2016 ones 2016 and 2016a but it does not work

Not working for me at least on the poll map unless it only works in the final results
I use chrome Windows 10 and tried the 2000 and both of the 2016 ones 2016 and 2016a but it does not work
What questions are you using it on? Questions that deal with third parties or scandals usually cause the largest difference alongside choosing answers that go against what your candidate believes in. I got the above results by clicking the choice that says to focus on safe Democratic states and then holding spacebar for a few seconds.
I tried Google Chrome and it worked fine for me, are you just clicking the enter button or holding it down cause holding it down causes more effects.

Last edited: