Weekly Flag Challenge: Discussion & Entries

FLAG CHALLENGE #NUMBER: 234

Banner of the Magic Maidens

Evil has arrived. Whether it is a swarm of alien monsters, an international crime syndicate, or malevolent demons from another dimension, the world is in danger of plunging into darkness, and the armies of nations prove incapable of harming the diabolical entities threatening humanity. But hope and justice may yet triumph, as rumours of young girls acquiring mysterious powers and weapons began to surface into the limelight. And all they need is someone to lead and organize them, an organization to turn a scattered group of defenders into a powerful fighting force - and a banner to go with it.

Design a flag centered around Magical Girls, whether it is for an international or national crime-fighting organization, a faction, or even a country run or inhabited by Magical Girl(s). The rules are as follows:
  • The organization or faction must be based on Earth. No magic lunar kingdom, no spacefaring alien mascots running the show, you get the drill.
  • There must be at least one element of the flag tying it to Magical Girls, based on the lore you have written. I am not asking for a full story, but some explanation is needed.
  • The use of existing magical girl shows is currently forbidden. However, if too many have trouble coming up with entries, I may consider lifting that rule.
Submissions Open: Now
Submissions Close: 20th October, 2020, 2200 hours (GMT+8)

When the alien race known as the BakaSenpai-Chans invaded Earth in the year 20XX, fear gripped the planet. As 200 foot tall handsom boys clad in their finest regalia (visably similar to Japanese male school uniforms, volley ball uniforms, and swim trunks), many Earthlings prayed for a way to repel the invasion. One elderly priest in Japan prayed vigerously for his nation to be saved as Tokyo was leveled.

The Gods interpreted this prayer in an .... interesting fashion.

Suddenly, during the height of the attack, every 1/3 teenage (roughly from 17-19 age wise) girls in Japan were suddenly given the powers of a Magical Girl, such as flight, super strength, and being really cute and/or sexy. With their powers, they began to push the aliens back. However, the Japanese government, fearful of their powers being unchecked, brought them under control of the JDF. However, it soon became clear that the Japanese military and the government had no idea how to actually win and proceeded to loose battle after battle. Determined to save their island nation, the magical girls staged a coup d'etat against the government, establishing a "temporary, benevolent military dictatorship" as they fought the BakaSenpai-Chans their way, driving them from Japan's shores in less than a year later. Once the war was over, most Magical Girls found that they liked their new station as ruler of Japan, and soon declared that they had no intention of stepping down from power.
Anime Girl Flag.png

(I couldn't think of anything good, so I just made the lore a big meme)

I have few ideas but I didn’t have time to sort them out. One of it set in Hendryk’s Superpower Empire China , another set in modern-day Goguryeo and lastly set in Russophone East Asian Ex-Soviet republic.

The weird events of the early days of November 2020 soon proved not to mere sugar hangovers of Halloween nor leftover fireworks from Bonfire Night, magic was indeed loose in the world again.
At first things were bad, then they got worse as nightmares stalked the land, and those nations that did not fall hid under their covers.
But hope returned, accounts across the globe of young women fending off the terrors spread, and in Britain they gained a few names: the Thorny Braid, the Daughters of the Lady, the Lasses Who Guard the Sea, and similar. All wore the same tattoo: a greenish ring or two of thorns around their limbs. It seemed to glow or sparkle.
Of the several banners devised in their honour a common one features a horizontal rendering of the green braid on white.

daughters.png

Interstellar Witch Force - Zodiac
星間魔女隊 - 黄道帯
Seikan Majotai - Ōdōtai

MagicalGirlFlag.png

When the religions of mankind rejected witchcraft and magic as evil, persecuting all who sought magical knowledge, the supernatural council known as the Great Sages (偉大賢者 Idai Kenja) pulled all magic from the planet Earth, leaving humanity to fumble and fail without it. But we did not. Instead we over came this lack of magic, never knowing what we truly lost, and building a society far greater than anything the Sages could have imagined we could. In comparison to other civilizations of the Galaxy, however, of which there are only a handful, ours is the least advanced. Though the gap is smaller than it was believed it would be, the other civilizations remain vastly superior to what dwells on Earth. Ignorant of this, we lived our lives. But then, the Merurai invaded.

Strange, interdimensional creatures, they are a blight on the galaxy that has even begun to press back and consume the most advanced civilizations. Now this threat has come to Earth. The Merurai hide as normal people, acting to sow discord and sin amongst the people around them. Then, when they are ready, they emerge from their false bodies, like a chrysalis leaving the cocoon. These horrible monsters attack and kill, and feed off of the corrupted souls of their victims. Without magic, humanity's society is far more flawed, and thus far more corrupt, drawing more and more Merurai as they realize the potential power they could gain in consuming Earth.

Though the Great Sages stripped mankind of magic, one of the council feels pity. While her fellows refuse to assist, blinded by an arrogant view of humanity as backwards savages, this sage has reached out to give us assistance. Known as Amaterasu, she could only send a sliver, a spark of magic our way, but when combined with our technological ingenuity, this has made all the difference. This spark was in the form of one member of the Interstellar Witch Force, servants of the Great Sages who kept the peace between the Galaxy's magical civilizations. This soldier arrived, unimpressed with humanity, but found in Tokyo a human girl she deemed worthy of being granted a Star Wand (星杖 Hoshi Tsue), a device that allows the wielder to draw upon the Magic of the Galaxy, and infinite well of power from which all Witches and Warlocks draw the energy needed to perform magic. While other races have learned to do so naturally, mankind does not have time to spend centuries developing the skill. Thus human Witches are hindered by the Power Limit of their Wands, which can breakdown or malfunction is pushed too far. Members of the IWF seek out and identify a Merurai, though often they can only be discovered when they "hatch" and go on their rampage. From there the Witch in pursuit must fight the creature, before it grows too powerful and enters its "Djinn Form". Growing larger and gaining a unique set of abilities that are a bastardization of magic, the Merurai-Djinn can only be vanquished by the combined might of multiple Witches.

Earth's wing of the Interstellar Witch Force has steadily grown as members have been discovered from around the world, and have granted themselves a codename: Zodiac. Each member operates under a different name of the Western Zodiac, and now they possess 12 members. Women have a natural affinity for magic compared to men, and the younger a person, the less corrupted the soul, and thus the more powerful they are against Merurai. As such, nearly all members of IWF-Zodiac are young girls, with exception of Zodiac Warlock Virgo, who is a young boy, and Zodiac Witch Sagittarius, who is a college-age girl. The nations of mankind have collapsed due to the Merurai onslaught, and it is around our twelve heroes that humans have rallied behind. The IWF-Zodiac as their saviors, and their flag flies around the world, the symbol of resistance, purity, compassion, and often reverence for the Great Sage Amaterasu, patron of the IWF-Zodiac. The greatest and most pure-hearted minds have gathered to assist the group, administering areas they have purified of Merurai and corruption, and helping to develop new technology. From Familias, spirits bound to advanced motocycles, to Wand Rifles, an attachment for Star Wands that allow for longer-ranged spells at greater power, to even the Mana Blade, magic-charged swords made of light that allow for extended melee combat at the cost of only one spell to create a blade that lasts hours, mankind's Witches are the most advanced team in the galaxy. Even the other Great Sages are taking notice, as Earth rpvoes itself not just a worthy home for Magic, but perhaps the greatest innovations in magic in all of history, innovations that could at last turn the tide against the Merurai on every civilized world.

KYŌSAN KISEKI SHŌJO

Go~! Workers of the World! Go Go Go! Reach up to the Stars, Past the Earth and Mars! Grab your Scythe, grab your Wand! To GO GO GO Beyond~!

共産奇跡少女_flag_vFinal.png

"To be a 共産奇跡少女, or Communist Miracle Girl, there are 3 tenets you must learn:

I. There is no such thing as Magic only the miracles that can be performed by those proletarian women who harness the innate inner power of the working class, the energy of Communism personified. The Workers' Spirit. These communist miracles are your power, but you must remember from where they derive: your devotion to the ideals of Marxism, Equality, and Sisterhood!
II. Your wand is your life, for a Miracle Girl's unique wand is what allows the power of communism to flow from within yourself and be rendered into the ability to shape and cheat reality as you wish. To break or lose your wand is lose that power, and to lose the ability to serve the State in its march towards the Stateless Utopia. Such a failure is unbecoming of a Miracle Girl. Keep your wand at hand and always well maintained!
III. Evil must be vanquished no matter where it hides or how it takes form. And evil is found in no greater way than in Capitalism and the exploitation of the Working Class. To destroy evil, we must destroy capitalism. Never forget this mission, but never turn away the chance to combat the woes of our civilian sisters- and brothers-in-labor!

These three tenets dictate what it means to be a Miracle Girl. Learn them. Study them. Memorize them. And in time, if you are worthy to wield this great power, you will even understand them."
~ Miracle-Marshal Nosaka Yunyun, Speech at the People's Glorious Miracle Girl Academy, Osaka, Japan, 1960

"I won't bore you with the science. Partly because I don't know it, partly because it doesn't matter. If procedure works, you get a Heart Gem. If it's stable, the gem gets to go in a wand you design. And with your wand you can do anything."
~ Miracle Girl Shūsui Aoi, Lance-Corporal, 1st Honshu Battalion, 1957

"A lot of civilians think it's a matter of point, mutter funny poetry, and shoot. But it isn't! Yes you have to aim, but it isn't just poetry, it isn't a magic spell. It's a poetic phrase we learn to evoke the correct image, the correct desire deep in our hearts, deep in the Well of Communism deep in our proletariat being. We call that poetic phrase a 気合歌詞 (kiai kashi) or a "power lyric". The desire of the power lyric, once it reaches that energy of Communism within, or 労働者気 (rōdō-sha ki), the Workers' Spirit, then flows into the wand. The wand... interacts with quantum particles in the right way, it turns desire into will, and will into action.

For example, watch as I point my wand and say the power lyric for making a blast of ice. Oh wondrous frost, or blessed chill, spring true the cold wind of entropy! See? See how this flower has been frozen solid so rapidly? Because I willed it, and but it only happened because of my true faith in the cause of communism. Hm? Why are young girls the bulk of our forces? Because women have more compassion and empathy for their fellow. It's simple biochemistry! And the youth are always the most fanatical, without the bitterness and cynicism so many adults get. Why would we waste time training old men, when they have the least natural talent for communist miracles? They can serve in the Workers' Liberation Army, like they have for years. And that isn't an insult! The WLA was the original backbone for the revolution in Tokyo, and what enabled the State to spread so far on land. Miracle Girls ensured victory in Tokyo and broke enemy militaries, but its the Army that did the heavy lifting.

Ah, yes. I have heard of this... Astolfo Martel. He knew his chances of being accepted, even with his talents, were slim. It's logical he would disguise himself. I fully support allowing males and girls past the prime ages to apply! I do. I just have doubts that he is really so... powerful. I think it might just be politics. But, hey, I might be wrong. I doubt it, though."
~ Miracle Girl Anastasia Serebrekov, Lieutenant-Major, 3rd Baltic Battalion, 2006

"Let this committee dismiss all concerns. Firstly, our research has shown that these... abominations called fascist thaumaturgy and liberal vodunology are both weak perversions of true communist miraclecraft. For the fascists, their thaumaturges claim they are drawing in Þrúð, a sort of divine energy from their racial gods. From this sentence, we see their lunacy. We already knew this when the fascist nations not only descended into paganism, but offically embraced a henotheistic doctrine that every fascist race possessed its own equally existent pantheon. The failures of their system against glorious communism drove them mad long ago. This madness means that when they think in devotion to their gods, they are unwittingly thinking about a greater good that binds all humans and makes them equal, as they are creations of the same divine. This is quite obviously a misinterpretation of the Workers' Spirit.

This is seen similarly in liberal vodunology. The voodoo-girls of the failing, corrupt democracies to the West claim that they use aether, a sort of energy field made up by lwa, a term once used by oppressed negroes for spirits, now reconstituted by bourgeois false science to mean the energy of a human 'soul'. Of course they cannot even agree on this, as all liberals are wont to argue. Some claim instead that lwa or souls are made of aether. Regardless, it is yet again a binding energy they call upon. The fascists believe they draw it from heavens, raining down as a blessing, while the liberals believe they pull it in from the air around them. Because of this, their magic is weaker, as their mental image is incorrect, as they should be drawing from the Workers' Spirit within, not anything without.

Our findings confirm what we all knew. The thaumamädchens are barely able to send more than six bolts of lightning from their Wand-lugers, and voodoo-girls struggle to hit mach 3 on their power-brooms, let alone our bare standard mach 4 travel speed. Their miraclecraft is inferior, for they have not discovered anything but what we already know, misinterpreting it and utilizing it in such a fashion as to weaken themselves. And they must. For to recognize our science as correct is to admit the truth of Communism as the only moral, proper, and natural ideology of humanity. Which they will never do. The fools."
~ Elsa Degurrechaff, Representative for the Vienna Commune, Chairwoman of the State Committee on Foreign Miraclecraft, 1970

((Soooooo... I got the idea for communist magical girls and it kind of snowballed! The flag isn't necessarily for 'the State' but for the branch of the armed forces that is made up of magical girls! Also if it wasn't clear, the State is totally downplaying other ideology's magical girls, and the reality is that... well it's magic! You can't explain it really, but they are all really *really* trying to explain it.))

Last edited:

KYŌSAN KISEKI SHŌJO

Go~! Workers of the World! Go Go Go! Reach up to the Stars, Past the Earth and Mars! Grab your Scythe, grab your Wand! To GO GO GO Beyond~!

View attachment 592268
"To be a 共産奇跡少女, or Communist Miracle Girl, there are 3 tenets you must learn:

I. There is no such thing as Magic only the miracles that can be performed by those proletarian women who harness the innate inner power of the working class, the energy of Communism personified. The Workers' Spirit. These communist miracles are your power, but you must remember from where they derive: your devotion to the ideals of Marxism, Equality, and Sisterhood!
II. Your wand is your life, for a Miracle Girl's unique wand is what allows the power of communism to flow from within yourself and be rendered into the ability to shape and cheat reality as you wish. To break or lose your wand is lose that power, and to lose the ability to serve the State in its march towards the Stateless Utopia. Such a failure is unbecoming of a Miracle Girl. Keep your wand at hand and always well maintained!
III. Evil must be vanquished no matter where it hides or how it takes form. And evil is found in no greater way than in Capitalism and the exploitation of the Working Class. To destroy evil, we must destroy capitalism. Never forget this mission, but never turn away the chance to combat the woes of our civilian sisters- and brothers-in-labor!

These three tenets dictate what it means to be a Miracle Girl. Learn them. Study them. Memorize them. And in time, if you are worthy to wield this great power, you will even understand them."
~ Miracle-Marshal Nosaka Yunyun, Speech at the People's Glorious Miracle Girl Academy, Osaka, Japan, 1960

"I won't bore you with the science. Partly because I don't know it, partly because it doesn't matter. If procedure works, you get a Heart Gem. If it's stable, the gem gets to go in a wand you design. And with your wand you can do anything."
~ Miracle Girl Shūsui Aoi, Lance-Corporal, 1st Honshu Battalion, 1957

"A lot of civilians think it's a matter of point, mutter funny poetry, and shoot. But it isn't! Yes you have to aim, but it isn't just poetry, it isn't a magic spell. It's a poetic phrase we learn to evoke the correct image, the correct desire deep in our hearts, deep in the Well of Communism deep in our proletariat being. We call that poetic phrase a 気合歌詞 (kiai kashi) or a "power lyric". The desire of the power lyric, once it reaches that energy of Communism within, or 労働者気 (rōdō-sha ki), the Workers' Spirit, then flows into the wand. The wand... interacts with quantum particles in the right way, it turns desire into will, and will into action.

For example, watch as I point my wand and say the power lyric for making a blast of ice. Oh wondrous frost, or blessed chill, spring true the cold wind of entropy! See? See how this flower has been frozen solid so rapidly? Because I willed it, and but it only happened because of my true faith in the cause of communism. Hm? Why are young girls the bulk of our forces? Because women have more compassion and empathy for their fellow. It's simple biochemistry! And the youth are always the most fanatical, without the bitterness and cynicism so many adults get. Why would we waste time training old men, when they have the least natural talent for communist miracles? They can serve in the Workers' Liberation Army, like they have for years. And that isn't an insult! The WLA was the original backbone for the revolution in Tokyo, and what enabled the State to spread so far on land. Miracle Girls ensured victory in Tokyo and broke enemy militaries, but its the Army that did the heavy lifting.

Ah, yes. I have heard of this... Astolfo Martel. He knew his chances of being accepted, even with his talents, were slim. It's logical he would disguise himself. I fully support allowing males and girls past the prime ages to apply! I do. I just have doubts that he is really so... powerful. I think it might just be politics. But, hey, I might be wrong. I doubt it, though."
~ Miracle Girl Anastasia Serebrekov, Lieutenant-Major, 3rd Baltic Battalion, 2006

"Let this committee dismiss all concerns. Firstly, our research has shown that these... abominations called fascist thaumaturgy and liberal vodunology are both weak perversions of true communist miraclecraft. For the fascists, their thaumaturges claim they are drawing in Þrúð, a sort of divine energy from their racial gods. From this sentence, we see their lunacy. We already knew this when the fascist nations not only descended into paganism, but offically embraced a henotheistic doctrine that every fascist race possessed its own equally existent pantheon. The failures of their system against glorious communism drove them mad long ago. This madness means that when they think in devotion to their gods, they are unwittingly thinking about a greater good that binds all humans and makes them equal, as they are creations of the same divine. This is quite obviously a misinterpretation of the Workers' Spirit.

This is seen similarly in liberal vodunology. The voodoo-girls of the failing, corrupt democracies to the West claim that they use aether, a sort of energy field made up by lwa, a term once used by oppressed negroes for spirits, now reconstituted by bourgeois false science to mean the energy of a human 'soul'. Of course they cannot even agree on this, as all liberals are wont to argue. Some claim instead that lwa or souls are made of aether. Regardless, it is yet again a binding energy they call upon. The fascists believe they draw it from heavens, raining down as a blessing, while the liberals believe they pull it in from the air around them. Because of this, their magic is weaker, as their mental image is incorrect, as they should be drawing from the Workers' Spirit within, not anything without.

Our findings confirm what we all knew. The thaumamädchens are barely able to send more than six bolts of lightning from their Wand-lugers, and voodoo-girls struggle to hit mach 3 on their power-brooms, let alone our bare standard mach 4 travel speed. Their miraclecraft is inferior, for they have not discovered anything but what we already know, misinterpreting it and utilizing it in such a fashion as to weaken themselves. And they must. For to recognize our science as correct is to admit the truth of Communism as the only moral, proper, and natural ideology of humanity. Which they will never do. The fools."
~ Elsa Degurrechaff, Representative for the Vienna Commune, Chairwoman of the State Committee on Foreign Miraclecraft, 1970
Brilliant. :biggrin:

It's kind of hilarious seeing someone with the surname Degurechaff declaring communism to be the be all and end all, considering Tanya's comments on the subject in the Movie. :winkytongue:

Brilliant. :biggrin:

It's kind of hilarious seeing someone with the surname Degurechaff declaring communism to be the be all and end all, considering Tanya's comments on the subject in the Movie. :winkytongue:

I actually haven't seen the movie! I got the gist of her hatred for it. Honestly, I was just making anime references. Maybe I should change it?

@Remitonov Is my submission OK? Or does it break the rule of "The organization or faction must be based on Earth. No magic lunar kingdom, no spacefaring alien mascots running the show, you get the drill."?

I can edit the description, though I will argue that while an alien starts it, the IWF-Zodiac is human based, human controlled, and based only on Earth, even if the rest of IWF is in space.

@Remitonov Is my submission OK? Or does it break the rule of "The organization or faction must be based on Earth. No magic lunar kingdom, no spacefaring alien mascots running the show, you get the drill."?

I can edit the description, though I will argue that while an alien starts it, the IWF-Zodiac is human based, human controlled, and based only on Earth, even if the rest of IWF is in space.
I think it's fine. You did say it's Earth's branch of the IWF. :3

Last edited:
FLAG CHALLENGE #235:
Gunpowder Treason and Plot

In 1605, a group of Catholic radicals planned to blow up the Houses of Parliament, which had in them almost all Bishops of the Church of England, and King James IV & I. They planned to kill these people and then uprise in the Midlands of England and install James’ daughter Elizabeth as a Catholic queen. In real history this plan failed.

Create a flag for a country from a timeline in which the Gunpowder Plot succeeded without a hitch. The conspirators kill Parliament, the King, and the Anglican Church hierarchy in one fell swoop and install the King’s daughter, whom they intend to bring up as a Catholic. From there, run wild!

A few rules:
I. The flag does not need to be England’s, however, to give you some direction, the flag should be of a nation directly impacted directly by this alt-England (e.g. a colony, a region of the empire, an ally, a direct enemy, etc.)
II. There may not be any other Point of Divergence for the timeline.

Submissions Open: Now
Submissions Close: November 2nd, 2020 @ 23:30 (GMT-5)

Last edited:
I hope this one won’t be too hard, you guys! I just could not help but notice that oh so infamous date approaching.
I hope I made it open enough but giving enough direction not to be too rudderless!

I hope this one won’t be too hard, you guys! I just could not help but notice that oh so infamous date approaching.
I hope I made it open enough but giving enough direction not to be too rudderless!
What exactly is meant by III? Does the flag have to be created by 1655?