Until Every Drop of Blood Is Paid: A More Radical American Civil War

Battlefield fortunes are the greatest agent of change, though I would like to talk about social and cultural mingling that could change some opinions. Unfortunately, I don't have enough space for that in the regular updates.
Cool, I was just thinking that now that the North has started to think about the war more in terms of a Holy Crusade, that there would be interest in a group of Black singers raising money 'For The Troops/Former Slaves' by singing traditional slave songs. There was a brief craze for them post-war OTL. And I think it would be hilarious having mid-19th century White people get their minds blown by stuff like this.

As for Santo Domingo... my gut reaction would be to butterfly it away, since I hate American imperialism.
Yeah, I hate Imperialism of all sorts, and the opposition for the annexation was an alliance of senators who were too anti-imperialist, and senators who were too racist to want a new state of Black people. That said, I feel the US is too big, too populated, and has too many resources not to be engaged in Imperialist shenanigans, if for no other reason to prevent anybody else from trying.

I would lile to include many officers, such as Kearny, Lincoln's friend the Zouave, and, of course, Willich. But I don't know how they would fare in battle since my info is limited, and I am not sure where I could include them.

Willich was an interesting man with an interesting personality. He was also stupidly brave and took huge risks, being repeatedly captured and wounded and had to sit out the war for long periods of time. Not to mention his political leanings and combative personality. But pretty much everytime he was sent into battle he succeeded, often against long odds and difficult situations. Unfortunately, his career hit a snag when George H. Thomas replaced Rosecrans. Rosecrans had encouraged his officers to try and think of new tactics, but Thomas was so conservative he put a stop to Willich's Advance Firing, among other tactics.

I just always thought that he had everything necessary to become a National Hero if he were at the right place at the right time.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, his career hit a snag when George H. Thomas replaced Rosecrans. Rosecrans had encouraged his officers to try and think of new tactics, but Thomas was so conservative he put a stop to Willich's Advance Firing, among other tactics.

The small drawback of having Old Paps Thomas in charge, but its worthy though.

Last edited:
I envy history because it contains coincidences and events that you just can't make up. I say this because I was listening to Ken Burns' The Civil War, and the famous anecdote about McLean and how the war began in his backyard and ended in his parlor came up. And I just thought, reality is really stranger than fiction. There's more stuff, like how Robert Anderson was able to raise the stars and stripes exactly four years after the fall of Fort Anderson, or how Taney died the exact same day slavery was outlawed in Maryland. The kind of thing that would seem conspicuous and unrealistic were I to include it here.

Cool, I was just thinking that now that the North has started to think about the war more in terms of a Holy Crusade, that there would be interest in a group of Black singers raising money 'For The Troops/Former Slaves' by singing traditional slave songs. There was a brief craze for them post-war OTL. And I think it would be hilarious having mid-19th century White people get their minds blown by stuff like this.

Yeah, I hate Imperialism of all sorts, and the opposition for the annexation was an alliance of senators who were too anti-imperialist, and senators who were too racist to want a new state of Black people. That said, I feel the US is too big, too populated, and has too many resources not to be engaged in Imperialist shenanigans, if for no other reason to prevent anybody else from trying.

Willich was an interesting man with an interesting personality. He was also stupidly brave and took huge risks, being repeatedly captured and wounded and had to sit out the war for long periods of time. Not to mention his political leanings and combative personality. But pretty much everytime he was sent into battle he succeeded, often against long odds and difficult situations. Unfortunately, his career hit a snag when George H. Thomas replaced Rosecrans. Rosecrans had encouraged his officers to try and think of new tactics, but Thomas was so conservative he put a stop to Willich's Advance Firing, among other tactics.

I just always thought that he had everything necessary to become a National Hero if he were at the right place at the right time.

I can see Black singers for the USCT, but I doubt the White troops are ready for that. Also, I'm kind of embarrassed to admit this, but I quite like minstrels and slave songs. Divorcing myself from the context is somewhat easy, since I'm not American, but of course I'm always conscious of their background.

I find it a great irony how the efforts to annex Santo Domingo legitimized racism once again, with even staunch abolitionists breaking out the pseudo-science.

I have some (unfinished and rough) plans for Rosecrans, so I may be able to give Willich the spotlight.

Ficboy

Banned
Kick
I envy history because it contains coincidences and events that you just can't make up. I say this because I was listening to Ken Burns' The Civil War, and the famous anecdote about McLean and how the war began in his backyard and ended in his parlor came up. And I just thought, reality is really stranger than fiction. There's more stuff, like how Robert Anderson was able to raise the stars and stripes exactly four years after the fall of Fort Anderson, or how Taney died the exact same day slavery was outlawed in Maryland. The kind of thing that would seem conspicuous and unrealistic were I to include it here.

I can see Black singers for the USCT, but I doubt the White troops are ready for that. Also, I'm kind of embarrassed to admit this, but I quite like minstrels and slave songs. Divorcing myself from the context is somewhat easy, since I'm not American, but of course I'm always conscious of their background.

I find it a great irony how the efforts to annex Santo Domingo legitimized racism once again, with even staunch abolitionists breaking out the pseudo-science.

I have some (unfinished and rough) plans for Rosecrans, so I may be able to give Willich the spotlight.
When's the next chapter.

Didn't you just get warned a couple of days ago not to bother authors about when their updates are coming?
Yes.

Authors work at their own Pace. Not Yours. Seriously,stop trying to make authors work to your schedule.

Its impolite and pretty much trolling.
Yeah, he seems to want to change timelines and wants the authors to start up stuff by simply telling them to do so, in like multiple threads.

Last edited:
Well, to move away from that, I do wonder if the south would ever have something of a modern day Germany like education of the most shameful parts of their history, perhaps reading Uncle Tom's Cabin or Twelve Years a Slave would become mandatory down there one day?

It's a bit of an aside, but not inappropos given the flavor of this thread: Ethan Hawke has adapted the James McBride novel The Good Lord Bird as a Showtime series, and put himself in the (co-)starring role of John Brown.

Subtitle: ".44 Caliber Abolitionist."

The first episode aired a few days ago, and it has a bit of a Django Unchained frenzied black humor vibe going. I think it will tickle the right spot for some regulars here. But now that I reflect on it, I'm a little surprised no one has ever done a straight up drama biopic of Brown to date. (I'm pretending Santa Fe Trail does not exist, and no one can talk me out of it.)

Trailer:

Last edited:
I'm a little surprised no one has ever done a straight up drama biopic of Brown to date. (I'm pretending Santa Fe Trail does not exist, and no one can talk me out of it.)
Well, he's kind of a hard character to do well, when you think about it. All too easy to make him either a saintly martyr or a foaming-at-the-mouth madman. Also, up until his trial and execution, even the North didn't think much of him, from what I understand. The kindest reaction seems to have been William Lloyd Garrison's, and the best he said of the Harper's Ferry debacle was that it was 'well intended but sadly misguided'. Not exactly a ringing endorsement.