Pop Culture Timelines Go-To Thread

A lot of people are just making unjustifiable assumptions concerning Microsoft's purchase of Zenimax IMO. MS has made some nasty blunders but they have always fixed them or at the least attempted to fix them. Look at the Red Ring of Death but the 360 ended up being a top contender for its generation. For the past few years MS has been the biggest supporter of crossplay between the 3 console manufacturers. They do not care for exclusives. I think over the next few years they will be experimenting with Zenimax. Releasing a couple of exclusives but mainly releasing titles on all 3 consoles. After they take a look at the numbers I find it likely that they will make more money by continuing to release Zenimax games on the other consoles. Particularly the Switch and we may see more games developed for not ported to the Switch through MS.

A lot of people are just making unjustifiable assumptions concerning Microsoft's purchase of Zenimax IMO. MS has made some nasty blunders but they have always fixed them or at the least attempted to fix them. Look at the Red Ring of Death but the 360 ended up being a top contender for its generation. For the past few years MS has been the biggest supporter of crossplay between the 3 console manufacturers. They do not care for exclusives. I think over the next few years they will be experimenting with Zenimax. Releasing a couple of exclusives but mainly releasing titles on all 3 consoles. After they take a look at the numbers I find it likely that they will make more money by continuing to release Zenimax games on the other consoles. Particularly the Switch and we may see more games developed for not ported to the Switch through MS.
The problem with MS in recent years is essentially the XBone bought nothing to the party PS4 didn't have. The latter was cheaper and (in a reverse of the previous generation) it was MS's turn to do boneheaded things. They still might have turned it around but then WiiU turned out to be essentially a beta model and Nintendo shrunk the components to create the Switch. That was both cheaper (again) and due to actually being cheapish to make launched at a price both acceptable and sustainable (rather than the constant XB price cuts). But the big problem remains limited exclusives and the fact you can barely put a knife between the two consoles specs. If they can get better games, fix the marketing and avoid acts of stupid they might pull it around. Also its a "games" console guys, streaming is secondary now smart TV's (or at least Chromecast and fire sticks) are common and cheap. Sony and Nintendo recognised this and won MS not so much and it showed.

That said this is the 3th gen where Microsoft have come in last (WiiU probably not counting as its essentially a 7.5 gen console, while PS3 sneaked into second at the last instant in the 7th gen). Maybe its time to rethink the console thing...or at least the business model?

I dunno how to expand it into a full thread, but I've always had this reversal idea of Bruce Timm & Paul Dini doing Marvel animated shows and CAPCOM doing DC games. A few scattered paragraphs and lists are in here... [doc here]

Another development: Greg Weisman heads a DC animated universe post-Gargoyles, coinciding with the launch of Kids WB.
Something like this:
G_2pNBYOIyGbY5HPedRLlCHwLefnDdR59AZRZI-28U8.jpg

Lately, I've been thinking of some possible pop-culture ideas for a supplement to my rail TL, which is going rather slowly right now.

So far, I've conceived:
- Walt Disney quitting smoking after a cigar he forgot to put out blows up his parents' house in 1938.
- Fleischer Studios survives by embracing stories that have a sci-fi edge, with Superman being their first attempt at an animated film in 1940.
- The Nintendo-Sony partnership happening under different circumstances; as Sony buy Nintendo in 1987.
- Later on in the late 90s, Microsoft uses Sega's beginning struggles as a way to enter the game industry.

- Later on in the late 90s, Microsoft uses Sega's beginning struggles as a way to enter the game industry.
Sega already have years on the industry, the sentence should be the Start of Sega Struggles as they started to have a bad time.

I
- The Nintendo-Sony partnership happening under different circumstances; as Sony buy Nintendo in 1987.
don't think yamauchi would sell, but if they need the partnership to be more equal, both created a new videogame company and both put all cards on the table, not playing the other, both take the risk and profits equally. Might cause some early headbutts but later on would created good synergy as the company is outside either whim and genuine cooperation is needed

Characters that can't do well with their current studio or franchise and should move?
Jack Frost (Dreamworks) (Rise of the Guardians): His film utterly failed and Dreamworks doesn't want to do anything with him anymore.
Ironically enough he works well as a love interest for someone far more influential in another studio.

Any other characters that don't fit in their studio and their rights should be sold off?

Jack Frost (Dreamworks) (Rise of the Guardians): His film utterly failed and Dreamworks doesn't want to do anything with him anymore.
Ironically enough he works well as a love interest for someone far more influential in another studio.
Nah, no one cared Rise of the guardians sadly.

don't think yamauchi would sell, but if they need the partnership to be more equal, both created a new videogame company and both put all cards on the table, not playing the other, both take the risk and profits equally. Might cause some early headbutts but later on would created good synergy as the company is outside either whim and genuine cooperation is needed
Of course, another idea I had for it to work out was to have Nintendo and Sony split profits on the consoles themselves, then have the profits from the games depend on which one of them published it.

Characters that can't do well with their current studio or franchise and should move?

Any other characters that don't fit in their studio and their rights should be sold off?

This question is both out of nowhere and reminds me of an amusing little aside from a Super Best Friends episode about the idea of instead of selling off an IP, companies sell off individual characters. It was one of the Friday Night Fisticuffs episodes, I wanna say SVC Chaos, but that might be wrong. I know it was a Capcom/SNK crossover episode though. Could make for a decent forum game.

No Brian Michael Bendis?
who?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rise_of_the_Guardians#Possible_sequels HE IS A PUBLIC DOMAIN CHARACTHER anyway

The Avengers Comic books might be a bit better. Many people think Bendis ruined some of the Avengers comic book lines in Marvel.
Given he succeeded Chuck Austin they were already pretty ruined in the first place and the book had been drifting since the end of Busiek's run. That said he plumbed alot of new depths, ruined the X-Men in the process and for all most of it was editorially mandated he still made even more mess than he had to. Pretty much the story of Marvel from about 2004 right up the present day...

Oliver Stone adds an epilogue to Wall Street (1987), where Gordon Gekko receives the maximum prison sentence. Michael Douglas's last scene has Gekko returning from the parole board only to be brutally and explicitly murdered by two inmates (Willem Dafoe and James Woods) while a guard (Keith David) whistles and watches the ending of "It's a wonderful life."

The theatrical cut only has Douglas screaming while the DVD has the unedited murder play out.

Onto the Next Phase - A Star Trek Production Timeline

What if The Animated Series was good? What if Star Trek managed to be revived for television in 1975? How would the franchise and sci-fiction as a whole evolve in such a world?

If that interests you, check it out.
Its good work but I'd argue TAS WAS good for the most part. The poor animation and overuse of pink don't detract from well written stories that captured the sprit of the best days of TOS.

Its good work but I'd argue TAS WAS good for the most part. The poor animation and overuse of pink don't detract from well written stories that captured the sprit of the best days of TOS.

You know, that's fair, I agree with you. Yesteryear is one of my Trek favorite episodes. I was just trying to be snappy. I'll edit it to 'More popular'.