Let Them Pass

Status
Not open for further replies.

marathag

Banned
Sorry, the moment Belgium had permitted to the German army to pass through his territory without fighting has formally and legally renounced to his neutrality and had become a German co-belligerant. Basically both London and Paris can treat the nation as an enemy without breaking any treaty or legal convention, frankly i expect the British to confiscate any ship and asset the Belgium goverment and nationals had in the Empire

And the Dutch, if they were to allow the British to transit toward Antwerp?

At the moment, the British haven't locked out the Transatlantic cables, so the story of the French Army, merrily Raping poor Wallonian girls next to the bodies of their family members, only stopped by the relieving Germans, has already hit the teletypes
Then you have the British thundering up the Scheldt?

Like I said, it's a good show for how the Entente treats neutrals

to pass through his territory without fighting has formally and legally renounced

Mnn. not so sure on either case

Any example of a Neutral being treated that way before 1914, being legally at fault?

Last edited:

marathag

Banned
I'd say the question of Belgian neutrality became irrelevant once France declared against it. I fully expect this timeline will see all of this thread's arguments played out in innumerable 'How "neutral" was Belgium?' articles scattered across magazines and online publications with as much consensus. Even if Belgian troops never set foot outside of their own borders they're in the war now, it's going to be interesting to see what happens next.
All very fast, no ultimatums issued with typical a day to do whatever is demanded

At the moment, the British haven't locked out the Transatlantic cables, so the story of the French Army, merrily Raping poor Wallonian girls next to the bodies of their family members, only stopped by the relieving Germans, has already hit the teletypes
Then you have the British thundering up the Scheldt?
Golly, I hadn't considered that! Deciding to go to war against Germany by a narrow margin after debating for hours over what the declaration was about (I think the official line will be something like 'Germany and Belgium have violated the letter and spirit of the Treaty of London, Great Britain is therefore compelled to go to war against them, etc.') but just as things are getting going the 'Rape of Wallonia' hits newsstands! Public ministers might get whiplash trying to follow how fast public opinion flips against the French.

Early prediction yet but I assume Wilson and the US Government will try to pull a Roosevelt and offer the USA as neutral arbiter to resolve the conflict. I think it much less likely the Americans will get involved in this war unless one side or the other makes a terrific blunder diplomatically (give it a couple of years).

bguy

Donor
Golly, I hadn't considered that! Deciding to go to war against Germany by a narrow margin after debating for hours over what the declaration was about (I think the official line will be something like 'Germany and Belgium have violated the letter and spirit of the Treaty of London, Great Britain is therefore compelled to go to war against them, etc.') but just as things are getting going the 'Rape of Wallonia' hits newsstands! Public ministers might get whiplash trying to follow how fast public opinion flips against the French.

Is there any particular reason the French can't just deny the story and claim its German propaganda? The only witnesses are Germans and Belgians (i.e. the very people the British and French are fighting), so why would the British public believe the story?

Any example of a Neutral being treated that way before 1914, being legally at fault?

Any example of neutral that don't even try to found a legalistic cover for the breaking of neutrality and allow a nation free passage trough it's territory to attack another nation? Sure you can be neutral but favor a part instead of another but permit a massive attack through your territory mean forfetting your neutrality and becoming a justified target; it's like Switzerland in WW2 saying: we are neutral but German troops can freely pass through our territory to attack France but if the other nation dare to attack us for that are the bad and evil guys...ridicolous isn't?
Basically Albert throw his lot instead of the Entente with the CP, let's see if this will bring any good to his nation...seriously doubt it but in any case i hope he will like the taste of Wilhem boots as frankly in case of German victory he will be very occupied in shining them

And the Dutch, if they were to allow the British to transit toward Antwerp?

It's the big problem with Albert decision, by forfeitting his own neutrality without even an attempt to fight back or alert previously London or Paris of his own decision mean that in practice all the previous treaty have lost power; basically once one is broken in such manner the incentive to uphold them is a lot less.
Plus, as OTL showed it's not the German Empire have any qualms to pass through a neutral without his permission and with force and there were already plan to do it in OTL. Regarding Dutch assistance, well it's not that the British don't have mean of economic pressure on Netherlands and any blockade that include them will mean that Germany will suffer much much more than OTL.
Regarding the Belgian and Duthc navies helping equalize the situation between the German and the British, sorry too little and obsolete and part of the Dutch forces are in Batavia

All the talk about the KM operating from Antwerp is a touch premature. I think that given the German army is about to cross into France at about Mons/Maubeuge a full 2 weeks ahead of OTL and the British Army hasn't even mobilised yet; the KM operating from Dunkirk, Calais and Boulogne is far more likely and far more dangerous.

However the KM is so poorly run that it is just as likely that the Germans will capture those French Channel ports and the HSF will fight tooth and nail for none of it's ships to go there.

I think that would depend on whose in command of the High Seas Fleet at the moment. Von Ingenohl and von Pohl would certainly be unhappy to have ships detached from their command, but Scheer might be more amenable to the idea.

A public declaration from the Belgians that they are allowing passage to the Germans of their own free will 'in the spirit of neutrality' or similar language will put the ball firmly in the French court. If they follow through on their threat of counting Belgium as a co-belligerent with Germany it will be France that violates Belgian neutrality
That's wrong.

If as the OP/author @Geon asked, one looks at the previous discussion thread there is ample discussion there of the fact that Belgium was founded on the premise of being a neutral that would explicitly not permit any foreign aggressor to strike at another power through its territory. The various powers--I believe one will find they are France, Britain, and as predecessor to the German Empire, Prussia--signatory all pledged to defend Belgium against such an aggressor attempting to use Belgium in this way. This isn't supposed to be optional for them, it is a treaty provision they will act against anyone violating Belgian neutrality. Obviously the most likely treaty breaker would be one of the major powers signatory. But it is also plainly a violation for Belgium to take sides, to permit any of them to attack any other through Belgium. Belgium has one job, one premise on which it was founded and its ruling dynasty awarded the realm--stay neutral, deny its territory to any aggressor against any neighbor.

OTL, Germany broke the treaty unilaterally, but it remained honored by both France and Britain. Had either power failed to respond to Belgium's mandatory call for help in resisting German aggression, that would be another treaty violation and the treaty becomes null and void. But Belgium stayed in compliance OTL by doing their part, to resist.

Here the author proposes that Belgium capitulate to the German demand and permit passage. Belgium still has a bit of wiggle room legalistically speaking I think; they can basically plead that they are coerced, that it is impossible for France, let alone Britain, to come to their aid before they would be defeated by superior military power and thus they are acting under protest with a Teutonic gun to their heads and need rescue. Being under violent duress the government of Belgium might be promised forgiveness by the Entente; this is much as OTL legally and morally speaking. Belgium is violated and a victim of German aggression, as the Entente spins it anyway.

But what you propose is over a subtle but very real line. If Belgium pretends they have a right to permit the Germans through freely, however conditionally, and does not protest being under coercion, then Belgium has as others have explained elsewhere, will have violated the treaty on which their nation was founded. They have declared refusal to do the one job on which the creation of their nation and installation of their monarchy was premised, and might as well drop any coyness and declare for the CP full on; the Entente will declare they have done so anyway and the very existence of Belgium as a sovereign nation is forfeit in their eyes, if they ever have the power to enforce it. If the Entente can somehow win, then the outcome might be France annexing Walloonia and Britain setting up a puppet state of some kind in Flanders. (A victorious Entente is not likely to want to do the Netherlands any favors, given the cozy relationship of Dutch firms such as Fokker with the German regime...but perhaps the Dutch will come around in the end game and do something to earn Entente favor, and thus get Flanders if they want it). If instead the Entente powers, in the hypothetical case, choose to perpetuate Belgium as a nation in being, it would be for expedient reasons; the premise on which the kingdom was founded will have been nullified by this treachery.

and the British will have to choose if they uphold their commitments to Belgium and declare against France.
Again that is confused and wrong, backwards in fact.

In this scenario, both Germany and Belgium have violated the treaty

It is a treaty to defend Belgium in the presumed case of the Belgian state resisting invasion.

But if the Belgian regime is openly complicit with an invader, the treaty becomes a call for all parties who either are under attack (France) or co-guarantors of Belgium's neutrality (UK) to ally against both the rouge Belgian regime and whoever they have agreeded to be catspaws for.

There is no archangel making sure treaties are in fact honored and they are broken all the time. But the treaty obligation is no ordinary one, and if it is honored, Britain has no choice but to ally with France and declare war on both Germany and Belgium.

Britain might instead punt on honoring the treaty at all, in which case of course Britain is free of being entangled in the trenches, and France can probably see she is doomed and sue for the lightest terms she can get. But there is no way anyone can argue Britain has an obligation to oppose France and thus join with Germany!

On the contrary, the French in giving Belgium their counter-ultimatum are acting in accord with the treaty and entirely within their rights--indeed France has an obligation to demand Belgium reverse herself and oppose the German transit of her territory with all means possible, and Belgium has an obligation to resist Germany's ultimatum and in this insane situation*, belatedly acquiesce to the French one.

That's the clear case from a legalistic point of view. In terms of Realpolitik, Belgium is indeed screwed as OTL.
----
*Let me be clear I am not quarreling with the author proposing that Belgium not resist, but with you suggesting it does Belgium good to claim they are doing it of their own free will. That's a good move for them to make if Germany and other CP are going to win the war--which their compliance makes more likely. But actually, if Germany wins, the Belgians might as well go whole hog, forget the equivocation, and say they are all in with the CP.

Just be real clear, this is Belgium breaking the treaty.

Mind, the OP, which does not yet (perhaps later posts of the author sign on to this madness, or Machiavellianism) commit to Belgium blandly tearing up their constitutional basis in favor of a new alliance with Germany, certainly makes it more likely for Germany to win and thus make it expedient to become a client of Germany's.

Just be real clear, that is the meaning and effect of what you propose. It might be a smart move for the Belgians to make at this date, but it has nothing to do with compliance with the foundational treaty.

It is taking that treaty and lighting it on fire while mocking it.

Considering it was the invasion of Belgium rather than Germany's war against France that decided British entry into the war OTL, we could very well see the Royal Navy blockading French ports!

Again, given the general Machiavellian-Hobbsean anarchy of nation versus nation, the British might indeed turn on France. But never because the Belgian treaty says they must! It says the opposite.

OTL if Britain had not chosen to regard themselves compelled to enter the war against Germany because of German violation of Belgian neutrality, then that would have been the final nail in the coffin of the mid-19th century concept of Belgium as buffer state; one treaty guarantor violates the treaty outright, a second one throws up their hands and looks another way and whistles, and the third is the victim of this nefarious collapse of an attempt at peace keeping. From that time forward Belgium would have been on her own, a free agent but a vulnerable one, and her fate a matter of realpolitik alone.

ITTL, as noted it makes a difference what tone Belgium adopts, whether Belgium is to be considered a tragic case of criminal abduction by a rouge Great Power, or by pretending she had some discretion in the matter and chose to protect her own interest by freely permitting the violation, a stooge of Germany.

Consider for a moment what Belgium forfeits either way: control and perhaps ownership of the Congo.

This is going to be an inevitable and irrevocable outcome, if Belgium signs on to the German invasion claiming to be a free agent in the matter. Perhaps the British do not want the Congo, and pawn it off on some other power. But whether the Entente wins the war or loses it, it passes out of Belgian control and if Belgium is complicit in Germany's violation, I don't think any realistic CP triumph will be able to compel the British to ever give it back to either Belgium or to Germany. I suppose the British would sooner sell it to the USA than let the Germans get control.

Same is broadly true of all Germany's colonies. The Germans might be unassailable on the European continent but I don't think they'd be much capable of projecting power outside of it (except insofar as their Ottoman alliance might extend their reach). Nor can the Germans be confident of getting new colonies from France--the French might be compelled to sign them over, but if Britain continues to fight, they can just attack whatever colonies the Germans claim the moment the French tricolor comes down and the German one goes up. Or have the Japanese attack for them; I'm sure Japan would love to seize Indochina and perhaps the French colonists there would prefer Japanese rule to German. Probably not be happy with either of course!

I'd think if Belgium's terrified capitulation, or as you would have it, criminal treachery, enables the Germans to take France out very quickly, the British have motive to keep fighting, and perhaps with better resolve and clarity and effectiveness than if they get bogged down in trenches across north France and Flanders fields. Britain's reasons for fighting OTL were treaty obligations--on paper. But the real reason was their fear of a German hegemony on the European continent. If that fear becomes an irreversible reality as it would if France were to fall rapidly, leaving the Central Powers unchecked, Britain will fall back on containment, on doing all they can to deny the Continent under German rule access to global resources. They can't do that under peacetime rules, so it would be war, until either Britain is exhausted or the blockade is successful enough to bring the CP to terms agreeing to renounce all colonies.

@Shevek23
Your analysis is great. Do you think that Belgium will do what Austria did in WW2? That is, being willing until Germany loses, and then say it was coercion? I feel both cases are kind of ambiguous.

@Shevek23
Your analysis is great. Do you think that Belgium will do what Austria did in WW2? That is, being willing until Germany loses, and then say it was coercion? I feel both cases are kind of ambiguous.

Only if Germany loses. If Germany wins, it's likely Germany will reward them for their cooperation. Most likely, French Flanders gets broken off and added to Belgium. In fact, Germany according to a past update already is, with Germany discussing payment to the Belgians for continued use of their railways, and the Kaiser asking Krupp to expedite delivery of any Belgian purchases of artillery.

Coulsdon Eagle

Monthly Donor
The Channel fleet isn't getting to Antwerp with no buoy marking and no lights. From the Belgian Grey Book again https://wwi.lib.byu.edu/index.php/The_Belgian_Grey_Book

I never mentioned Antwerp.

You suggested a close blockade of England's south coast. Can't do that from harbour, which is where I recommend any Duch or Belgian warships stay lest the Harwich Force come visiting.

Removing buoys & lights will also make it difficult for any German warships to join their Dutch & belgian friends in Antwerp.

Coulsdon Eagle

Monthly Donor
Many years ago, I remember reading an article that said that one of the reasons the French lost at Sedan in 1870, was that the French generals refused to cross into Belgium during and after the battle. Was this article correct in that by respecting Belgium neutrality, the French gave up an option that would have helped them?

If the article is true, then that would be another reason why the French would be mad at the Belgium's letting the Germans pass through in 1914.

It is true that the French refused to accept the choice of internment in Belgium. In part because both nations (Prussia cleverly first under Bismarck; France following reluctantly) had stated they would not infringe Belgian neutrality - if the French army moved into Belgium & refused to be disarmed & interned, Paris would have breached the 1839 Treaty of London and - worse case scenario - could find themselves at war with Britain, as happened in 1914 (as recently discussed in a couple of threads).

I never mentioned Antwerp.

You suggested a close blockade of England's south coast. Can't do that from harbour, which is where I recommend any Duch or Belgian warships stay lest the Harwich Force come visiting.

Removing buoys & lights will also make it difficult for any German warships to join their Dutch & belgian friends in Antwerp.
The author did - I prefer to stick to commenting on the author's posts .

But your point is well made - the very reasons why UK never based any major/ modern fleet units closer than Harwich is the same reason why the Channel ports are effectively unusable for the KM except for submarines (and then only later in the war). Zeebrugge was famously a U boat base later in the war and equally famously was raided by the Royal Navy (as was Ostend in a smaller raid). The ports are just to exposed.

The fear for the British was not that someone else would be able to use the Channel Ports for naval warships but that they couldn't use them for merchantmen

Sorry, the moment Belgium had permitted to the German army to pass through his territory without fighting has formally and legally renounced to his neutrality and had become a German co-belligerant. Basically both London and Paris can treat the nation as an enemy without breaking any treaty or legal convention, frankly i expect the British to confiscate any ship and asset the Belgium goverment and nationals had in the Empire
As others have already pointed out, Germany in some form "bullied" Belgium to allow access. So in a way, they saveguard the neutrality of their coast and industry at the cost of allowing German soldiers through.
So yes in a very real way they are no longer truely neutral. But... there is always a but. And that is they have taken messures to keep the Germans honest in only useing Belgium as a path to France. And I think if France had demanded the same, it would have gotten the same access as the Germans.

But the French decided to go for the Punishing Expedition right away. Again in the end it is their right. But if one later compares the conduct prior to and in the war, I think Germany gets a smack on the wrist for the bullying but France gets egg on its face for the conduct of its troops.

Because Paris can’t move?
[snark]I am speechless at the depth of your reply... [/snark]
But to get realy. Your reply indicates that the actions of the Belgians, Germans and Britsh have no impact on the TL because... Paris can't move...

That is like anouncing that befor the battle of Jutland losing a squadron of dreadnoughts does not matter for the RN, because Jutland can not move...

So again why does the contribution of the Belgians not matter and why is the delay of the British of no consequence?

@Shevek23
Thank you for rightly pointing out how far my head was up my own ass. The offending posts have been deleted as they are unfit for this discussion.

Last edited:

Riain

Banned
the Channel ports are effectively unusable for the KM except for submarines (and then only later in the war). Zeebrugge was famously a U boat base later in the war and equally famously was raided by the Royal Navy (as was Ostend in a smaller raid). The ports are just to exposed.

This is inaccurate. IOTL the Belgian ports were captured in October and uboats began to visit within days. The coast was fortified by March 1915 and coastal uboats and tboats began flotilla operations by May. The guns and mines meant the RN could not operate within 10 miles of the coast in daylight and 5 miles at night. 3 fleet destroyers arrived in early 1916, a full flotilla of 10 arrived in June and these were replaced by 2 flotillas in July and remained until early 1917 and engaged in several engagements with the RN.

This is inaccurate. IOTL the Belgian ports were captured in October and uboats began to visit within days. The coast was fortified by March 1915 and coastal uboats and tboats began flotilla operations by May. The guns and mines meant the RN could not operate within 10 miles of the coast in daylight and 5 miles at night. 3 fleet destroyers arrived in early 1916, a full flotilla of 10 arrived in June and these were replaced by 2 flotillas in July and remained until early 1917 and engaged in several engagements with the RN.
I'm not sure what is inaccurate - if you had quoted the whole post in context you would see that when I referred to "major / modern fleet units". Yes the UK and Germany based light forces in the channel (Dover Patrol) but these were expendable. The RN clearly did operate within 5 miles of the coast during the Zeebrugge and Ostend raids.

The fact that it took two years for Germany to prepare to adequately defend even these light forces shows how exposed the Channel ports were to enemy action. Possession of Antwerp and Ostend (or even Calais) does not close the Channel, it merely makes it contested rather than a British maritime highway.

Deleted member 94680

I am speechless at the depth of your reply...
But to get realy. Your reply indicates that the actions of the Belgians, Germans and Britsh have no impact on the TL because... Paris can't move...

You’re speechless at a statement of simple fact? Ok.

But so far the actions of the Belgians and Germans (the British have done nothing so far to effect this) have accelerated the “Schlieffen Plan” and nothing more. The Plan is designed to achieve a quick victory in the West to allow the Germans to turn their full force East before the Austrians collapse. This is, in the view of the Great General Staff, predicated on the capture of Paris which will, again in the view of the GGS, lead to the collapse of France and a swift conclusion of the Western Campaign. If the strategic centre of the German campaign in the West is Paris, it stands to reason that, barring that strategic centre moving, all else the Germans carry out after their accelerated move through Belgium will be as OTL.

That is like anouncing that befor the battle of Jutland losing a squadron of dreadnoughts does not matter for the RN, because Jutland can not move...

It isn’t in the slightest. That’s a ridiculous assertion as the objective of the Battle of Jutland was not the capture of Jutland.

So again why does the contribution of the Belgians not matter and why is the delay of the British of no consequence?

Because, as I have explained above, nothing so far has changed ITTL that has affected the German’s strategic thinking. Pre-War, in the early stages of the War and until maybe late 1915, the Germans were dedicated to the capture of Paris. The relative stability of the front line in the north would indicate as much. At no point did the Germans consider the capture of the Channel ports a strategic imperative in the early War period. The arrival of the BEF, or even some kind of BEF analogue, was considered a possibility by the Germans and confidently discounted as a significant factor.

You know @Stenz, I am unsure if you are discussing or are obstuse for the sake of it...

Cross channel traffic would become a torpedo boat/ destroyer/ maybe light cruiser knife fight. The British and French can just move the port of embarkation further west though and then the CP has to run a gauntlet to be able to engage troopships.
You posit that the Entente, ie Britain and France can just move the logistics of the war further west if needed.
I respond that that is not "just" a simple matter as it will have consequences big and small as the war goes on. But amend that it depends of how the northern portion of the front shakes out.
But on the indicated point I think "just" moving the logistical infrastructure of cross Channel trafic will have noticable and far reaching consequences piling up as the war goes on. Not to mention that a contested Channel is a net loss to the British in terms of not only cross Channel trafic but also supply to London.
So depending on how the Northern portion of the French front play out it could be very difficult for the British and French to close the Channel for the Germans.
Another matter to keep in mind is Bethune and the coal it supplied for the French. So even a little more coast taken by the CP and thus access to the Channel could bring massive changes further out.
You then go to ilustrate obvious OTL facts with a nice graphic, I admit. But again I do not see the importance of the OTL positions as with the Belgian switch they will most likely change.
The northern, coastal section of the frontline pretty much didn’t move for the entire War after it stabilised in late ‘14. Note the ports open to the Entente. Note how many miles the frontline would have to move to close those ports off.
Also, noting where the Dutch and Belgian ports are that the thread seems to assume will fall willingly into German hands, explain again how it will be hard for the Entente to close the Channel off to the Germans? Given that the Belgian and Dutch ports aren’t even generally considered to be on the Channel?
OTL, Calais and Dieppe were major shipment ports.
As the happenstances of the war are already massively changed, I point that out and also indicated some points where changes happend. And then asked you to explain why the frontlines will settle as OTL.
Basing the TL on OTL will probably not work here. As there are several points of divergence already. Like the uninpeded German advance through Belgium and also the much better flow of supplies becasue the Belgians are not hindering or fighting it. That could change, but as of now I doubt it.
Add that the British are Imo very much not going to get the OTL times for DoW and landing of troops and that will have reprecussions on the availebility as well as position of said troops. Also the Germans smashing into the French left flank, I think, will be much better rested and supplied then OTL.
So I think it is possible to say that the OTL front line in northern France will be very different to the TL one. As such it depends on how it shakes out as to what is availeble for both sides.
As to the willingness of said Dutch and Belgian ports... well the Dutch are still out pending action of the British. But the Belgians will shortly recive or have recived a DoW by the French. So those ports, I would assume, are open for operations.
So why do you think the fronts will settle like OTL?
And your response is...
Because Paris can’t move?
To I reply with...
[snark]I am speechless at the depth of your reply... [/snark]
And here we are now, you still have not indicated why the front will settle on OTLs position despite the already happend changes nor why or how the Entente will be able to keep the same amount of cross chanel traffic going despite the very likely changed circumstances on the ground. Instead you take out the clear indication of intent on my comment and go on about the Schliefen Plan.
But so far the actions of the Belgians and Germans (the British have done nothing so far to effect this) have accelerated the “Schlieffen Plan” and nothing more. The Plan is designed to achieve a quick victory in the West to allow the Germans to turn their full force East before the Austrians collapse. This is, in the view of the Great General Staff, predicated on the capture of Paris which will, again in the view of the GGS, lead to the collapse of France and a swift conclusion of the Western Campaign. If the strategic centre of the German campaign in the West is Paris, it stands to reason that, barring that strategic centre moving, all else the Germans carry out after their accelerated move through Belgium will be as OTL.

// Cut out response that changing the strength does not matter because the place "does not move"

Because, as I have explained above, nothing so far has changed ITTL that has affected the German’s strategic thinking. Pre-War, in the early stages of the War and until maybe late 1915, the Germans were dedicated to the capture of Paris. The relative stability of the front line in the north would indicate as much. At no point did the Germans consider the capture of the Channel ports a strategic imperative in the early War period. The arrival of the BEF, or even some kind of BEF analogue, was considered a possibility by the Germans and confidently discounted as a significant factor.
I have no idea why you bring it up here, outside of showing that the Germans have a general plan on what they would do. But remember that the map and such are a result of the Race to the Sea and as such the Belgian, British, French and German actions up to now will an impact. If and what happens with the Schliefen Plan is immaterial to that. If it succeds the discussion will fall through and if it, very likely, fails we will have very different circumstances to go from. Ones that would, Imo, favour the Germans as they start from a better position then OTL.
Then you go on about the strategic thinking, when in the timeframe I think both sides were more interested in stabilising the front in OTL and used what they had to reach features to anchor the frontline. Where again the changed starting point would change the outcome in TL from OTL.

And lastely, again, why do ypu think that the Entente can "just" change the supply arangement of the French Theater without reprecussions when the outset of the situation has changed massively? Because if the Germans are not fighting in Belgium, they are rushing through it and as such conserve strength and supplies that they will push into France and as such have better chances to do more there.
As such I think it is likely that the Frech 5th Army will have a much worse situation then OTL as she faces fresher German troops that are better supplied and has to contend with a very differnet situation on British reinforcements. All these things will most likely change the state of the front at the end of 1914.

As others have already pointed out, Germany in some form "bullied" Belgium to allow access. So in a way, they saveguard the neutrality of their coast and industry at the cost of allowing German soldiers through.
So yes in a very real way they are no longer truely neutral. But... there is always a but. And that is they have taken messures to keep the Germans honest in only useing Belgium as a path to France. And I think if France had demanded the same, it would have gotten the same access as the Germans.

Well, don't really works this way. Italy in OTL had a much much more solid legal case to remain neutral firstly and accept the Entente offer...and still it considered a 'traitor that backstabbed the CP'.
France had not demanded that and seem never even planned to do but Germany needed just a show of force and Albert capitulated without even an attempt to preserve face or alert diplomatically London and Paris of his decision, so sorry there is no way that Belgium can say that they are neutral in a credible way, this narrative can win only if Germany win in this case history is written by the victors regardless of fact

What you say is: Belgium had permitted to the German army to pass through his territory so to preserve his industry and his city, so that they can bypass French defense and attack there. Sorry, this doesn't mean be neutral, co-belligerant is the best definition and as i said earlier in any case Albert has basically f...d Belgium.
If Germany win, he will find himself without any ally in a continent dominated by Germany and basically his new job will be court jester of the Kaiser as Belgium strategic position towards the UK and to keep France down is too important to be ignored and Berlin will decide to rent a base in Antwerp and position troops in Belgium permanently...to protect the nation naturally
If the Entente win, Belgium will be considered an enemy nation.

Last edited:
Well, don't really works this way. Italy in OTL had a much much more solid legal case to remain neutral firstly and accept the Entente offer...and still it considered a 'traitor that backstabbed the CP'.
The legal case for neutrality can certainly be made. The start of the war and the actions of the various players are murky enough for that. On the other hand, Italy was in an alliance with AH and Germany. So a certain amount of displeasure from the Germans and Austrians should be understandeble.

France had not demanded that and seem never even planned to do but Germany needed just a show of force and Albert capitulated without even an attempt to preserve face or alert diplomatically London and Paris of his decision, so sorry there is no way that Belgium can say that they are neutral in a credible way, this narrative can win only if Germany win in this case history is written by the victors regardless of fact
France did not demand it and got right down to ordering very harsh reprisals, so a case can be made, that if Belgium had not allowed transit, that it would have been the Germans doing the harsh treatment. So Albert was between the rock and hard place. ANd we do not know what information Belgium gave to France and Britian regarding its actions on the Ultimatum. At least I do not think we know.
Oh and I agree that Belgium would have had a very hard time in explaining its actions to others as truely neutral. On the other hand, if they would have managed to keep the Germans to only transit and transport a case Imo can be made on certain points...
Also writing history is so much easier if the other side does bad things and you have true facts to work with...

What you say is: Belgium had permitted to the German army to pass through his territory so to preserve his industry and his city, so that they can bypass French defense and attack there. Sorry, this doesn't mean be neutral, co-belligerant is the best definition and as i said earlier in any case Albert has basically f...d Belgium.
If Germany win, he will find himself without any ally in a continent dominated by Germany and basically his new job will be court jester of the Kaiser as Belgium strategic position towards the UK and to keep France down is too important to be ignored and Berlin will decide to rent a base in Antwerp and position troops in Belgium permanently...to protect the nation naturally
If the Entente win, Belgium will be considered an enemy nation.
If the war is a protracted one and as destructive as OTL, then I think a point can be made that Albert had a foresightful idea what could have happend to Belgium, or what has happend to Belgium depending on how the war goes. So has he tarnished Belgiums reputation? In a sense that he acted selfish, yes.

And lastely, we do not know how the war and later peace will play out, but painting Albert as court jester is going a bit far I think. Because whatever happens, Belgium will be a nation that fought with Germany in this war.

Status
Not open for further replies.