"An Exchange of Lions for Swans" A 1300s Plantagenet-De Bohun TL

Opener
206px-Royal_Arms_of_England.svg.png
206px-Arms_of_the_House_of_de_Bohun.svg.png

So, this is the opener to my new TL; An Exchange of Lions for Swans. the initial POD will be in 1306. At this moment, I am unsure when the first chapter, segment, whatever you want to call it, will be up, but don't worry. it'll be up soonish. I hope.
anyway, here it is;
a TLP TL!
I present;
An Exchange of Lions for Swans!

Chapter 1: The Battle of Methven
19th of June, 1306, a few miles west of Perth:

After the murder of John Comyn by Robert the Bruce, his Majesty Edward I gathered an extraordinary force of some six thousand souls, and sent this army North led by the Earl of Pembroke. some months later; The english army had based itself at perth and the surrounding villages when Robert the Bruce and the scottish army of four and a half thousand men made the chivalric offer of single combat to the Earl of Pembroke,but the Earl made the excuse that it was too late in the day to do battle and said he would accept the challenge on the following day.
Robert the Bruce, King of Scotland did camp his army a few miles at the village of Methven, and it was at dusk where the Earl sprung his trap. With the scots army having put down their arms and taken off their armour, when five thousand Englishmen struck upon the unprepared and unready Scots. The Battle at Methven was no true battle, as one sided as it was. nearly all the Scots were captured or slain, with even Robert the Bruce being slain by the blade of Baron Clifford. The backbone and resolve of the Scots was broken upon the fields of Perth.

320px-Battle_of_Bannockburn_-_Bruce_addresses_troops.jpg

The last actions of Robert the Bruce, King of Scotland

Chapter 2: The York Place Disaster
With the victory over the Scots; Edward I was said to be estatic, being often seen drinking merrily and giving money away charitably, with his previously miserly ways being brushed away by the uplift of his mood, and in the November of 1306, he would gather much of his family; sons, daughters, and the sons of his brother at York Place, his abode while work continued on Westminster Palace. it was known only two of his own children were not present; firstly Mary of Woodstock who remained devoted to her pious charges, and secondly Elizabeth of Rhuddlan, the Countess of Hereford by marriage, who was deep in the midst of her pregnancy and so remained in Hereford with her Husband: Humphrey VII, the Earl of Hereford.

With over a hundred guests, aside from his family, the event was said to be the social event of the year for English nobility, wirh most houses and families sending one, if not more, representatives. however, York Place was not an example of modernity and craftsmanship, and the wooden floor of the Great Hall was weakening by the minute. As the night dwindled away, the Great Hall suddenly fell into those floors below it, killing hundreds. christened the York Place Disaster, the House of Plantagenet was shaken to its core. Edward I survived due to luck and Happenstance for when the floor gave way he was standing within a stone alcove, while almost all of his guests and children would die. one of the few survivors; Prince Thomas of Lancaster would pass three days after the disaster, with his brother lasting a further, whilewhile Queen Margaret would survive. The King however was shaken and withdrew into himself, a shadow of the man he once was.
As Princess Elizabeth, Countess of Hereford gave birth to a son; Humphrey Edward of Hereford, the news arrived; that her sister Mary of Woodstock was now heir to the English throne.

Medieval-Court.jpg

The court at York Place prior to the disaster.

Last edited:
Chapter 3: The Last Days of Edward Longshanks
Following the disaster at York Place, King Edward would turn to his eldest surviving child; Mary of Woodstock, a nun at Amesbury Abby. Edward succeeded in convincing Clement V; the pope himself, to allow Mary to give up the cloth and take a husband. talks began between England amd France regarding a possible marriage between her and Louis, Count of Clermont.

After some months of his melancholy; Edward would collapse leaving sunday mass, and he would be rushed to his bed. for a week and a half, the King would suffer, and it was during the final years of her father's life where Mary of Woodstock would all right and claim to the English throne to her younger sister; Elizabeth, Countess of Hereford. As the King passed into history on the 19th of February, Elizabeth was crowned as the first Queen of England and Lady of Ireland by the Archbishop of Canterbury. The return of Mary to the ecclesiastical fold was followed swiftly by a letter of indignation from the french court, which her Majesty replied to with reparations to Louis, count of Clermont. With peace maintained, the early months.of Elizabeth's reign would be seen as a sign of good tides ahead.

206px-Arms_of_the_House_of_de_Bohun.svg.png

Interesting story looking forward to seeing more wish you luck. Questions will Elizabeth heir be called Humphrey the first of England or King Edward Ii of England after his mother's death. Question 2 will Elizabeth son marry Joan Ii of Navarre the daughter of Louis 10 for France therefore giveing England an superior claim France because France doesn't yet follow salik law. Question three my be a bit obvious will Scotland be part of the crows of the new dynasty or will there still be fighting in Scotland because I believe on of the Edward I of England problems in fight the Scottish Lords is that he did not have the full support of English parliament the pat for the war like he did with Wales. Question 4 will there be a Hundred years war between France and England because the English Crown still has Gasacany and a possible marriage of Louis 10th of France of Phillip IV doughter to an English prince could course war because they would have a superior claim than Philip Vi of France. I would on of two main factors if the Hundred years war was the English crown control in Gascony and Philip VI of France blocking English wool enter in Flanders. Wish you luck stay safe.

Chapter 3: The Scottish War
Despite the catastrophic battle at Methven, and the breaking of the back that was the Scots Army, it would be would be news of the York Place Disaster that would embolden the Scottish heart, in the belief that many of Edward's officials and officers had similarly died. While that was true, those few that hadnt been present were still in the North and ready to once again to finally end the coflict for their king.

With the death of Robert the Bruce, those scottish magnates and nobles invited his brother; Edward de Bruce to take the Scottish throne as Edward I. Edward was crowned in Scone Abbey in early September, meanwhile Edward of England had summoned John Balliol from Picardy, and so the English Army once again placed John Balliol upon the Scots throne, and William, Earl of Ross and a dozen others would faithfully bend the knee to his king; John I of Scotland. For the next few months; war continued across the Lowlands of Scotland, with few battles but nonetheless a constant state of troop manoeuvring, capturing towns, and general violence. This came to a head on the fourth of march, 1307, at the small Town of Moffat, in Galloway. The Scots army led by Edward de Bruce was some five and a half thousand strong, while the army supporting John Balliol was roughly half a thousand weaker but had more compentent English commanders within it's ranks, including John, Earl of Richmond.

The Battle of Moffat was a long and drawnout affair, fought on the hillside in deep snow. The English knights were of no use upon horseback and so formed an armoured square protecting King John of Scotland. The Scottish Militia under de Bruce was however more used to the terrain, and held their footing better. After some fourteen hours of fighting, from the sunrise to the end of the days light, the battle was over. no side could say to have been victorious, but both had lost many men, albeit neither side had lost vital commanders. The war in Scotland was far from over, and many feuds had yet to be ended.

205px-Royal_Arms_of_the_Kingdom_of_Scotland.svg.png

Last edited:

VVD0D95

Banned
An interesting chapter, tho I’m not sure that the English would support balliol, especially as I think I think he was in France by now

Firstly, I want to thank everyone for their comments and the absolute Pile of Likes I've received. when i concieved this idea about a week and a half ago, I would never have thought about actually putting Stylus to Screen and creating what i can happily call my first TL. so, once again, thank each and every one of you whos liked this, and after tonight, I'm gonna scale it back a bit, and try and get an update out every day. there is no percieved end in sight, so don't worrh I'm not working towards a big finale or anything.
thank you for your support guys. much love.

Thomas, earl of Lancaster would be a male line Plantagenet claimant( ironic), and would probably raise his claim(it's not like he ruled England in his nephew's name or anything lol)