Western Roman Empire in Gaul

Chapter 1
The Battle of Novidon was fought in 486 between Frankish forces under Clovis I and the Gallo-Roman domain of Novidon under Syagrius. The battle was a victory for the Syagrius and the continuity of the Gallo Roman domain of Novidon

"In the final collapse of the Western Roman Empire between 476 and 480, Syagrius was the only remaining representative of Roman rule in the area between the Loire and the Somme. Syagrius was the son of Aegidius, the last Roman magister militum per Gallias; he preserved his father's rump state, the Domain of Novidon , between the Somme and the Loire, calling himself dux.

The central location of Novidon in northern Gaul and its largely intact infrastructure allowed a level of stability in the years of the Migration Period, but also made the area tempting for their Frankish neighbours to the north-east. The realm of Syagrius was of almost the same size as the Frankish area, though the Franks were divided into small kingdoms, and, on the right bank of the Rhine, little touched by Roman culture.

Nevertheless, Clovis I managed to assemble enough Franks to confront Syagrius's forces. Clovis issued a challenge to Syagrius naming the time and place of the battle. Chararic would ally with Syagrius.

The ensuing battle was a decisive victory for Syagrius and destroyed the Frankish Expansion for good, the fight was said to be a battle of life and death for the survival of the romans in the Western Roman Empire."

Battle of Novidon - Freepedia

Last edited:
Nice premise would like to see how it goes. Maybe Syagrius allies with Odoacer and keep the last roman fragment somewhat together for some time.

Chapter 2
By AD 500, the Visigothic Kingdom centered at Tolosa, controlled Gallia Aquitania and Gallia Narbonensis and most of Hispania with the exception of the Suebic Kingdom of Galicia in the northwest and small areas controlled by independent Iberian peoples, such as the Basques and the Cantabrians. Euric son Alaric II(484-507) Issued a new body of laws, the Breviarum Alarici and held a church council at Agde.

The Visigoths now came into conflict with the Gallo-Romans under their King Syagrius who defeated the Franks. Following a brief war with the Gallo-Romans, Alaric was forced to put down a rebellion in Taraconensis, probably caused by a recent Visigoth immigration to Hispania due to the pressure of the Gallo Romans. In 507, the Gallo Romans attacked again, this time allied with the Franks led by Chararic. Alaric was killed at the Battle of Campus of Vogladensis near Peitieus, and Tolosa was sacked. By 508 the Visigoths had lost all their Gallic holdings which comprised of Gallia Aquitania and Gallia Narbonensis.

Last edited:
Chapter 3
In 511, King Syagrius campaigned in the Burgundian lands allied with the Vandals, and the Burgundians are decisively defeated by the Gallo Romans and the Vandals and Syagrius would establish Lion as the capital of his domain from Novidon or Novidonum, that the people would call his domain as the Lionine Empire.

Syagrius would send emissaries to the pope talking about the new Roman Kingdom or Despotate in the North led by him he would ally with the pope as well as the Byzantine Emperor Anastasius I and he would be recognized and made as the Consul of the West by Anastasius I of the Byzantines, known as Syagrius I or Siagri I of Gaul, in the modern Gallese language and he would focus on the administration after Lyon was finally conquered and he would set the foundation for his son, Egidi I or Aegidius I of Gaul.

Last edited:

Thomas1195

Banned
540 the Lombards would conquer Italy and eject the Empire of Gaul from Italy despite the fact that Jacme I is now the Western Roman Emperor.
The Lombards IOTL did not go to Italy until decades later, after the Avars pushed them out of the Danube region. In addition, with such a quick Italian war, both the Byzantine and Gaul should have no problem repelling the Lombards.

The Lombards IOTL did not go to Italy until decades later, after the Avars pushed them out of the Danube region. In addition, with such a quick Italian war, both the Byzantine and Gaul should have no problem repelling the Lombards.
Done fixed.

Chapter 4
On 520, King Syagrius would be crowned as the Western Roman Emperor by Pope Symachus, after he had sent his messages to Pope Symachus on 512 after he had smashed the Burgundians.

According to chronicles, Syagrius was impressed by the pope’s support of him as the Western Roman Emperor, however the Byzantines would not be fond of the Western Roman Empire.

Syagrius would receive the message that he is now recognized as the Western Roman Emperor on 518 or the Emperor of Gallia by the Pope Hosmidas and earlier he had already been recognized by Pope Symachus and he would be crowned as the Western Roman Emperor on 520 on Marselha, both Marselha and Lion would be the centers, with Marselha as the coronation site and Lion as the capital.[1]

This new Western Roman Empire would be named the Empire of Gallia or the Gallo Roman Empire as its other name and it would also be known as the Lionine Empire.

1. Lyons as the Capital and the traditional coronation site in Marseille, IOTL we have Paris and Rheims.

note: Since it is Gallo Roman, we will have the names such as Peire(Peter), Simon, Felip (Philip), Jacme (James), and Ferrand(Ferdinand) as the name of the monarchs.

Last edited:
Nice to see a somewhat more Romanised Western Empire that isn't just "suppose the Western Empire holds off the barbarians?"

note: Since it is Gallo Roman, we will have the names such as Peire(Peter), Simon, Felip (Philip), Jacme (James), and Ferrand(Ferdinand) as the name of the monarchs.

Thing is, is these names would not be immediately there, and seems odd that Syragius family would shift away from its root of its names Syragius and Aegidus immediately to Jacobus or Jacme as you call him. Also names uch as Phillip were already roman such as Phillipus, the others im having trouble with as they werent really Roman names or gallic either.

Thing is, is these names would not be immediately there, and seems odd that Syragius family would shift away from its root of its names Syragius and Aegidus immediately to Jacobus or Jacme as you call him. Also names uch as Phillip were already roman such as Phillipus, the others im having trouble with as they werent really Roman names or gallic either.
I changed the name of the heir to Aegidus or Egidi, I think that would be more realistic I think.

Chapter 5
On 500, Siagrius would have his son Egidi(Aegidius marry Kunigunde, a Frankish princess which would lead to the Franks being subjugated by Gallo Romans, Kunigunde was the key for the Franks to be conquered by the Gallo Romans under Egidi I alone restoring the provinces of Gallia Belgica and Germanias up to the river Rhine.

The marriage of his son Egidi with Kunigunde would allow the Franks to easily accept their conquest by Emperor Egidi I of Gallia.

Ok so couple questions, what did sygarius do to rebuild the western army? Is it foederatie or did he get manpower from somewhere? How is he paying this? Also why would the franks suddenly help him with the visigoths, what do they gain?
I just need more details otherwise your timeline is pretty good.

Ok so couple questions, what did sygarius do to rebuild the western army? Is it foederatie or did he get manpower from somewhere? How is he paying this? Also why would the franks suddenly help him with the visigoths, what do they gain?
I just need more details otherwise your timeline is pretty good.
He got help from the enemies of Clovis.

No, because Occitan/Catalan is the language of France here.
Now I'm intrigued. Isn't it hypothesized that Syagrius' territory was more to the north, and that the southern (a.k.a occitanic) regions were under Visigothic control? I always assumed that if Syagrius had beaten Clovis, than the language of his country would be closer to Gallo, a language found along the borders of Brittany.

Now I'm intrigued. Isn't it hypothesized that Syagrius' territory was more to the north, and that the southern (a.k.a occitanic) regions were under Visigothic control? I always assumed that if Syagrius had beaten Clovis, than the language of his country would be closer to Gallo, a language found along the borders of Brittany.
This is because I made the capital as Lyons...Lyons was dominated by Occitan and the rest of Arpitania was dominated by Occitan prior to its decline.