Miscellaneous <1900 (Alternate) History Thread

Strange question on US Navy ship naming...
In 1869, a man named Adolph Borie served as Secretary of the Navy under President US Grant for a few months... during that time, he had many of the vessels of the US Navy renamed. He disliked the Indian names (which were quite popular), believing them hard-to-pronounce, and replaced them largely with names from Graeco-Roman mythology... many of them frankly seeming more appropriate for the RN :). As soon as he was out of office (that same year), his successor George Robeson promptly changed them most of them back to their original names, or gave them new names altogether.
Does ANYBODY know where to find a full list of the US Navy vessels renamed in 1869?
How about this?
USN ship renaming in 1869.png

Edit: If you can find the sources noted at the end, I expect there is more detail in them.
Warship International Vol 26, № 3 (1989), p309. Published by the International Naval Research Organisation.
Link: http://www.jstor.org/stable/44894667. (Accessed 16th September 2020)

Last edited:
Has anyone seen a king John the first England self insert or an alternative history for example John become king of England in 1289 because his father decides to give John the kingdom of England and Richard the Lionheart heart gets the Dutch of Normandy and Aquitaine along with the counties of Anjou and Maine. Or a self insert staring in 1285 when John visits Ireland just woundring if there is any good storys out there.

Perfect thread. Considering going back into map making.

What do people think are some of The most interesting potential PoDs before the 2nd Balkan war but after the Franco-Prussian war? I’m wondering about a PoD in this era and what impacts on world politics and history it would have, especially scenarios that aren’t as well known but could have big long term impacts.

I saw somewhere on a "WI Romans get gunpowder" thread that the Romans did not have the metallurgy expertise to make the complex designs that were seen in flintlock muskets. Also, I was wondering if they had the technology to build 10-20 story "skyscrapers." If we give them a few centuries to develop these technologies, how would I make the Romans improve in these fields to be able to make flintlock muskets and steel frames for skyscrapers? There are a lot of smart people on this site, so I thought someone might be able to explain how I would go about doing this for a timeline I'm thinking about writing.

A thought: would it be feasible to have a group of Jews be one of the colonizing groups in America? I am thinking if something like the Spanish or English Expulsion happened during the colonizing age, they might get sent to America like the Puritans did.

Is it possible for women to have gotten the right to vote in America in the 19th century?
Yes, but it would be difficult. My timeline does this.
It is possible that a modified 15th Amendment could have given women the right to vote..? (Not sure with my chronology of that event, though)

Or possibly an earlier diversion leads to more representation of women. Like Abigail Adams gets more involved with politics or something happens in the Revolutionary War.

I saw somewhere on a "WI Romans get gunpowder" thread that the Romans did not have the metallurgy expertise to make the complex designs that were seen in flintlock muskets. Also, I was wondering if they had the technology to build 10-20 story "skyscrapers." If we give them a few centuries to develop these technologies, how would I make the Romans improve in these fields to be able to make flintlock muskets and steel frames for skyscrapers? There are a lot of smart people on this site, so I thought someone might be able to explain how I would go about doing this for a timeline I'm thinking about writing.
I wrote a post involving tech uplifting a while ago, it may be useful (the first quoted post in there is the one relating to iron metallurgy). I also wrote another post relating to the metallurgy of gun and cannon barrels- the metallurgy in those is not very advanced, and a matchlock would be easy. But the flintlock mechanism itself apparently uses steel, so it will be harder.

(Also note that those was written from a modern perspective, specifically an ISOT/SI trying to uplift a society. So even things in those sources/posts that are simple to us would take a long time for the Romans to figure out on their own- and OTL they weren't worked out for hundreds of years.)

Last edited:

Osman Aga

Banned
Would it be possible to have a reconquista that ended up with a multi-faith society?

Depending on the situation. Avoid ultra-Catholic Monarchs like Isabella and Ferdinand. Make the Spanish less dependent on Knights from outside Iberia. But even for the Catholic Monarchs on the throne it depends on the course. If it lasts until the mid 18th century from 1492, it will remain to last. At best you have a Russia alike situation: Spain with 50-60 million people with around 10-20% being Muslim and being well integrated in Spanish Society. Unlike Russia, Spain will have a more segregated society based on religion. Conversion is promoted but not enforced (from 18th century onwards)...

Last edited:

If the Ottomans chose to fight on and defeat the Russians with a complete defeat at Chios two days before Chesma by not retreating after losing the Ottoman flagship, what will be the consequences? In addition to improving Ottoman military morale from 1770-1774 and destroying the Russian Mediterranean Fleet?

Why was scientific development slow in the Roman Empire? It seemed slower than in, say, Ancient Greece or Ancient China of similar time periods.

Osman Aga

Banned

If the Ottomans chose to fight on and defeat the Russians with a complete defeat at Chios two days before Chesma by not retreating after losing the Ottoman flagship, what will be the consequences? In addition to improving Ottoman military morale from 1770-1774 and destroying the Russian Mediterranean Fleet?

The Russians had a long journey ahead. They will probably retreat to save harbours. If the Russians retreat to Melos, the Ottomans pursue them there. If they go to Kythira then it is off limits. The latter islands is Venetian territory. The Russian Black Sea fleet is still small and in danger by an Ottoman attack.

It does not change much in the war as the battle of Kozludzha was far more catastrophic than Cesma. The bright side is that the Ottomans may destroy the Russian Black Sea Fleet and a future war in 1787, if there is one at all, is on the Seas favourable for the Ottomans and can support an invasion of the Crimea. But then we are still left with the failure on land as in OTL. The Black Sea will be Ottoman dominated until the Next War with Russia at least*.

Last edited:
I have a story idea in the same vein as The White Huns by Practical Lobster. It involves a Eastern Asiatic nomadic tribe conquering the Sassanian Empire, tearing down the Byzantine Empire in the 500s/600s and changing European history forever.

The two tribes I'm looking at are the Akatziri who were allied with the Huns when Attila the Hun was conquering left and right. After his death the leader of the Akatziri abandon Attila's son, migrates to the Sassanian Empire and act as nomadic warriors in a swathe of the northwest Sassanian Empire. Within a century they launch a revolt while the Sassanians are drained by a war against the Byzantines.

The other group would be the Rourans who in the 400s after a major defeat by the Northern Wui/Wei they migrate west and similarity conquer the Sassanian Empire.

My story would take place in the 800s/900s, long after the rise and fall of the Akatziri/Rouran Empire where only portions of the former Empire are still controlled by that group. The Byzantine Empire has also fallen and the story is about my main character who is half-Armenian and half- other (Rouran or Akatziri) and his Christian serf-shield/manservant as they travel the world across Europe, Asia and so on.

Which group would be more interesting to see rule a short lived empire whose existence butterflies the world we know?

Is there an already existing Timeline where the north german confederation became the North German Empire? So that like Bismark died and the German high command realized they couldn't take on the French. So that there is a Austrian infuenced south?

Grey Wolf

Donor
Is there an already existing Timeline where the North German confederation became the North German Empire? So that like Bismarck died and the German high command realized they couldn't take on the French. So that there is a Austrian influenced south?

I did start something like that once, didn't get too far with it.