Map Thread XX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting.

Any reason why Newfoundland is a republic?
Mainly Anglophobia during the Gaelic Renaissance (more nativist policies in the United States and to a lesser extent Canada means that Newfoundland was the main destination for Potato Famine refugees).
A Texan monarchy? How'd that come about?
The original Republic of Texas slid into dictatorship throughout the 19th century, first under a pro-business series of clientelist governments that suppressed slave revolts and labor unions with similar fervor (though they did turn on the taps for German and to a lesser extent Russian immigrants, many politically radical, to clear the prairies of Comanche and for agriculture - this was a mistake for their hopes of success), and then under something akin to the Porfiriato. Meanwhile, the example of the unstable United States seemed to indicate the perils of presidentialism, especially in a diverse society. The Texian Empire is de facto a parliamentary republic, but it has a figurehead monarchy, currently under Empress Wilhelmina of the House of Nimitz-Meusebach.

The original Republic of Texas slid into dictatorship throughout the 19th century, first under a pro-business series of clientelist governments that suppressed slave revolts and labor unions with similar fervor (though they did turn on the taps for German and to a lesser extent Russian immigrants, many politically radical, to clear the prairies of Comanche and for agriculture - this was a mistake for their hopes of success), and then under something akin to the Porfiriato. Meanwhile, the example of the unstable United States seemed to indicate the perils of presidentialism, especially in a diverse society. The Texian Empire is de facto a parliamentary republic, but it has a figurehead monarchy, currently under Empress Wilhelmina of the House of Nimitz-Meusebach.
Ah, interesting

So, I just came across this decade old map:
uFTDvQlzq_vSwFQn_bfmc1Qkjea2Pdiz-.jpg

(Made by @Chörnyj Orel and posted in the 6th Map Thread) It's a pretty good map despite the poor projection. I guess there was no worlda in 2010.

The problem is where I found it. This was in the digital textbook for my university Geography course. Gonna have to send someone an email about that.

Do we have a designated thread for AH masquerading as real history? I thought we did but couldn't find it with a search.

So, I just came across this decade old map:
View attachment 583509
(Made by @Chörnyj Orel and posted in the 6th Map Thread) It's a pretty good map despite the poor projection. I guess there was no worlda in 2010.

The problem is where I found it. This was in the digital textbook for my university Geography course. Gonna have to send someone an email about that.

Do we have a designated thread for AH masquerading as real history? I thought we did but couldn't find it with a search.
We do indeed have such a thread: https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/return-of-horrible-educational-maps.375167/

To be fair to Analytical, by the time stamps it doesn’t seem that the link to the original source was there when he brought it up.
Ok, sorry, I rewrote the map a bit in my own way sorry ... If I have to delete it, no problem ... :(
You added Alaska and Hawaii, but nothing else. Still, why not find a map of Centeal America? I am sure you could do something nice with a nuclear war there. Plus it already comes in plenty of subdivisions, so plenty of communists, cultists, and others can get small islands or countries for themselves.
Huh, 33 states, you managed to get a lot in such a compact area. Suppose it makes more sense than if someone tried to make a lot of them out in the Great Plains. New York the capital of Tri-Insula? I am half wondering from the name and flag if they are trying to be as Modern as possible. They break off some time after all the canals from Upstate New York helped build them up with business? And what is the current cultural, economic, etc capitals for the US? And does this Free Louisiana mean that it was invaded, with the rest of the state being made into one or two states afterwards? Or do are they a Cajun state that, outside of having Baton Rouge and a bit f the Mississippi, keeps to itself? Outside of oil it doesn’t seem like it has much going for it. Especially not if Texas decides to lay claim to the stuff at sea.

Take That Von Habsburg.png

A quick Draco map in 8K-BAM/SUCK, representing the opposition between Valois and Habsburgs, in a timeline where Mary, Queen of Scots has a son by François II of France, who survives to adulthood.
As a consequence, Henri d'Anjou does not give up his Polish crown but remains there, and forms the beginning of a line of French princes.
Now, the young King, with his more or less trusted general King Henri of Navarre, has decided to adjust the borders of the Habsburg estates by force, and perhaps even get his hands on the Holy Roman Crown, if he can take Aachen ?

View attachment 583537

A quick Draco map in 8K-BAM/SUCK, representing the opposition between Valois and Habsburgs, in a timeline where Mary, Queen of Scots has a son by François II of France, who survives to adulthood.
As a consequence, Henri d'Anjou does not give up his Polish crown but remains there, and forms the beginning of a line of French princes.
Now, the young King, with his more or less trusted general King Henri of Navarre, has decided to adjust the borders of the Habsburg estates by force, and perhaps even get his hands on the Holy Roman Crown, if he can take Aachen ?
Habsburgs to the left of me,
Valois to the right,
here I am,
Stuck in the middle with Rome!

Gian

Banned
A massive update after a month or so (hopefully I can finish this by Thanksgiving so that I can sell this for the Christmas season):
christian-andalus.png

I would love to know what the background for this map was. When I made mine I kind of assumed it was an arabic federation, and after that went with an ethnic tension on Madagascar due to this election that looked like it was barely won by one side.

I was first on the list lucky me, and I wanted to create an Indian Ocean centered game (task successful!), but I also didn't want democracy to develop in Europe. So I created a swahili-malagasy-arab hybrid state that used a derived version of the Gadaa system of the Oromo from Southern Ethiopia. The head canon was a STV election system where only people of a very restrictive age range get to vote - i.e. 25-64. Furthermore, you vote for each one of the eight candidates that make up the executive-legislative. The judicial branch of government is under the control of people aged 49-72 and is not elected. Adding on top of that I wanted to stress the difference in political beliefs of the generations, sort-of mirroring real world politics and the ol' boomer-millennial thing.

btw, I love your map! It is absolutely gorgeous, as always.

Status
Not open for further replies.