A Britain of Panthers and Lions: House of Oldenburg Britain

Chapter 315: Hellfire

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 315: Hellfire

July, 1754

John slammed his cup down. “I’m telling you, we should’ve had a say over who Princess Caroline married.”

“And I’m telling you, such a thing is most improper.” John Montagu, 4th Earl of Sandwich replied.

John blinked, the ale was starting to get to him, or was it the gin? He couldn’t bloody remember which one he’d had more of. “Why?” He asked.

“Because Her Royal Highness is a Royal Highness and it is not our business to discuss who she marries.” Sandwich replied.

“I disagree.” John said, lifting his cup up and downing the remaining contents, and then sticking it out to the side to demand more. “It is exactly because she is a Princess that we must know who she marries.”

“Why?” Sandwich demanded, almost angrily.

“Because as a member of the Royal Family, the Princess Caroline of Cambridge is a member of the state, and as such, as subjects of that state we should have a say over who she marries.” John said.

“Now you want a say over who she marries?!” Sandwich cried. “I thought you were mad enough when you said you just wanted to discuss it.”

“What is so wrong with that?” John asked. “I am a voter; my money is going toward paying for her dowry. It is only right that I get a say.”

Sandwich downed his cup of ale and slammed it down on the table. “I’m sorry, John, but that is going too far.”

“Why?” John replied. “Is anything I’ve said wrong? Hell, below, Sandwich, the King’s own favourite Voltaire has written a piece for The Guardian talking about the need for some popular will for policies. In the bloody Guardian?!”

“Still, that is one thing and this is another.” Sandwich replied. “You would not like it if the King had a direct say over your marriage, now would you?”

“I have to pay a fine if I don’t register the marriage with his Sheriff, so technically he does.” John snapped back.

“A fine. He doesn’t sit there discussing the marriage with you, or telling you who to marry.” Sandwich replied.

“I still think this is the right course.” John said.

“Then you are pushing us all down a dangerous path.” Sandwich said.

“What dangerous path?” John demanded.

“You are taking us down a path not seen since the Civil War. And I do not think you quite realise that.” Sandwich said.

John laughed. “Don’t be ridiculous. The King won’t suddenly go tyrannical because I’ve asked for this. I’m talking amongst friends, not mentioning it in Parliament.” Though he had every intention of doing so.

Sandwich shook his head and said. “Be careful what you wish for, John.”

John laughed. “Don’t be so dramatic.”

Alrighty, I'll have a think who could make an interesting one
Maybe you could just pull a person out of your mind? It doesn't always have to be someone who's gonna be important/an ancestor of somebody important....

(Lol just had an idea, how about a third person POV of a couple of old people sitting in the village square and having political chats, would shake things up a bit, no? )

VVD0D95

Banned
Maybe you could just pull a person out of your mind? It doesn't always have to be someone who's gonna be important/an ancestor of somebody important....

(Lol just had an idea, how about a third person POV of a couple of old people sitting in the village square and having political chats, would shake things up a bit, no? )

Indeed, this is true

“That Mr Wilkes always talking dangerous talk, I tells ya! He should get packed off ta ya Parilaiment where he’s can’t cause any trouble with all them over loudmouth...”

VVD0D95

Banned
“That Mr Wilkes always talking dangerous talk, I tells ya! He should get packed off ta ya Parilaiment where he’s can’t cause any trouble with all them over loudmouth...”

Loool, maybe send him off to the colonies, where some farmer probably shank him

Chapter 316: Bear

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 316: Bear

October, 1754

Peter stretched his arms, blinked and then grabbed his cup of ale. The hangover was something terrible today. He was getting too old for this. He downed the ale, and stuck the cup out for more, when it was filled, he downed that cup as well, then put the cup on the table and looked at his son.

Mikhail had just turned eighteen, he was essentially a man, and Peter had decided to include him in his council meetings, and to include him in the more intimate dealings of state, which was why the lad was here now. They had much to discuss.

“You read the papers on Sweden?” He asked.

“I did, Sire.” Mikhail replied.

“And?” Peter asked.

“I believe that Sweden may not be as big a threat as the ministers think it is.” Mikhail said.

Peter was intrigued by this, Mikhail was his second son, and had always been more bookish than Peter’s eldest son Alexei. Alexei had been fascinated by soldiers and war, and had even died in his uniform. Mikhail held no such illusions. “Why do you say so?” Peter asked.

“Because nothing that King Karl of Sweden has done indicates he actually wants a war.” Mikhail replied. “He has married his eldest son off to the King of Denmark’s sister, he’s sought a rapprochement with Prussia which the Prussian King is considering. These are not the actions of a man looking to bring war to the Baltics.”

“And yet he continues to build up troop numbers and has stationed men on the border with Ingria.” Peter said. His ministers had caused quite the kerfuffle about that, shouting and yelling about treaty agreements etc.

“Yes, only because of the actions of some malcontents in Ingria themselves have taken.” Mikhail pointed out.

“So, you do not think he will go to war?” Peter asked.

“No.” Mikhail replied. “Not unless he is pushed to.”

Peter mused on this, he had argued this himself with his ministers several times, but they were still convinced that Sweden would start the war. He could not see it himself, Sweden could not hope to win against the combined might of Russia, Prussia and Denmark, and King Karl was not his father, he was not mad. “Then a strategy of containment would be the most sensible one.” He ended up saying.

“Sire?” His son replied.

“We shall give the King of Sweden no reason to think that we are looking to attack him, and thus give him no reason to consider attacking us.” Peter replied.

“How would you do that, Sire?” Mikhail asked.

Peter looked at his son and smiled. “Why by offering you as a groom for his daughter.”