Considering the UFO sightings in Peru and the Inca legends it would be especially hilarious if Patton declared the indignity Andean people as yet another lost tribe of Isrealites. That must be liberated from the fowl clutches of the papist hordes.

I know you don't want sympathy, but @Napoleon53 , you're better than your dad could ever be, and you've objectively done more to make the world a better place than he ever has, just by writing this story.

Keep up the good work, and happy birthday to Madness!

Oh, Christ, that sounds insane...

BTW, that upbringing you describe would win raised eyebrows from even Tywin Lannister...

Last edited:

Ficboy

Banned
End of page curse and I missed this one!

I have mentioned before things that have inspired me to write WMIT, but it's been ages and I probably have new stuff to add to the lst. lol

Star Wars. The cyberfunk aesthetic I have long-planned for NUSA is quite similar to the set decor of A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back, crossed with 2001. The concept of larger than life villains with wildly different characteristics is definitely playing into WMIT too. Crippled Patton is essentially Yankee Grievous.

Warhammer 40k. Obvious. Eternal war and glory to the emperor. Beyond the Yankee legions being similar to the Imperial Guard, the Europan, New Holy Roman, and the Tsar have all hearkened to 40k's insane aesthetic.

Starship Troopers (book and movie). No explanation needed. One of the biggest fiction influences on me ever.

Dr. Strangelove. My favorite movie of all time. It's absurd. It's depressing. And it's hilarious.

Kubrick in general. The Shining, of course. And DEFINITELY 2001. 2001 comes closest to the style I want for the Pinnacle Future.

Lovecraft, King, Hitchcock, Bloch, and Tolkien. World building, terrific villains, eerie flavor that is instantly recognizable (Tolkien isn't really eerie, but you get the picture). Also, the bizarre or extremely catchy place names. Fairvale is on the canon map in Pacifica ITTL, and that's also the fictional Californian town that Psycho was set in.

1984, Brave New World, and Fahrenheit 451 (DUH)

Fallout
(my love of world building brands and companies directly spawns from my many hours spent pouring over the terminals, trying to figure out what happened at this office or that factory. John Henry Eden was a big inspiration as well for how I write some of my speeches. Caesar as well. Mafia II also influenced my branding.

The Men Who Built America (I LOVED that show. HIGHLY rec it if you haven't seen it. I've said I picture WMIT being a documentary in my head. Well, the narrator of TMWBA is my inner monologue.

A childhood full of Turner Classic Movies and AMC on constantly, playing mostly westerns and war films.

G.I. Joe. My childhood obsession. I am beyond excited about the new six inch line. Don't tell me "Chuck Oswald" couldn't be replaced with "Cobra Commander" and the character would still feel the same. "Y O U S N I V E L I N G N I N N Y!" Also, the file cards that came on the back of the package for the 3 3/4 inch figures. My gosh, I still have those. I used to memorize them. Once again, that really impacted me and the Fallout terminals give me the same creative vibe. Also, the many different Cobra troopers and regiments. Ugh. The best part of my childhood, was flying my Cobra Crimson Command Copter around my living room and lining up all my minions on parade to greet Cobra Commander as he touched down, and I would voice and act out all sorts of batshit insanity based on my cobbled-together understanding of war. lol I also inherited all my much older cousins' plastic army men, and I still have notebooks somewhere from when I was ten and writing down crazy "campaigns" that would last weeks between the Greens and Tans. I always was a Tan boy. Glory to General Plastro and the Revolution, the Green fascists will be destroyed. I also had a huge tan tank from the 80s, which I used as my own Schwerer Gustav, lmao. Yeah, I was a weird kid. I told everyone I was gonna grow up to be a general like Patton and Rommel. I don't think that dream is gonna happen, but give 2020 some time. lol

Indiana Jones (also obvious). The concept of 1930s villains tracking down obscure or impossible relics always intrigued me.

The Age of Napoleon, by Will and Ariel Durant. I always loved the Napoleonic era, and I spent a whole summer taking in this massive tome when I was 13 after picking it out at the used bookstore. Around this same time I found TL191 in my local library. I was hooked on Turtledove for the longest time.

The Book of Mormon. No offense to actual Mormons out there, they've all been nice to me. But the concept of the one true religion originating in 19th century America after thousands of years of human history has always amused me. I'm not even saying they are wrong (I don't have the answers and I'm happy for you if Mormonism fills the void you had), but I am amused by the thought. The same thing for Christian Science and the Millerites, etc. 19th century religions have this weird flavor I like, even if I don't believe them. Thus, Fundamentalism was born.

Late night History Channel, circa 2002. lol

Hollywood: A Celebration of American Silent Film by Thames Television. Best documentary I have ever watched.

The Disunited States of America, by Harry Turtledove. WMIT first popped into my head as glorified fan fiction of DSA.

*deep breath*

My own religiously insane childhood as the youngest son of a literal cult leader in the foothills of West Virginia, which I've mentioned a lot before. "Israel is God's Kingdom reborn. They'll all be saved in the Last Days so they don't have to be Christian or baptized and I don't care if you think that's not fair. Catholics, though, are dirty sinners and idol-worshippers. We are fundamentalist Christian soldiers and we need to be ready to die for our faith because George fucking Bush is going to persecute us." Turned out my dad was just worried the church would get busted for tax fraud, incest, and rape. FUN. My dad is the literal inspiration for AFC and 2.0's MadnessBilly Graham's personality and attitude of "I am great and will only become greater". Almost all of AFC's teachings are directly lifted from my childhood, which is hilarious as he used to read WMIT and he never put two and two together. lol We might not have handled snakes, but Jolo was just down the road, and we knew tons of people who did. The volunteer fire department also ran the town like a mafia/secret police, as there were no police. They would assassinate people in broad daylight (including a family member while they were dressed in stolen EMT clothes and a stolen ambulance; they threw him off Sandstone Mountain). My childhood was basically me getting homeschooled at Eden's Gate. Lmao In addition to a radio show, my dad also ran for President in 1992, three years before I was born. I shit you not, he created something called the (WAIT FOR IT) The Christian Freedom Party, and he would go out and walk the streets trying to convince people to join him. Fun fact: my original notes for WMIT had the MDP being called the Chrisitan Freedom Party, but people would have just thought I was copying Turtledove instead of my dad. lol

He made my sister and mother work hours and hours packaging up fliers for his lunacy until their fingers blistered. He also would talk all through my childhood of how I was his heir and he was going to form a new Freedomite Baptist Convention. He said he never expected to win the Presidency, which makes him sound slightly more rational, until he said,"I wanted to become well-known and start a nationwide movement." I even began saying I was going to be a pastor and take over the movement one day. It was surreal and absurd, and it gave me a real insight into how people can be brainwashed into total horseshit from a young age, and how others (my older family members) played along out of a sense of respect/duty to Father. Sadly most of his pamphlets got ruined in a leaky storage building. He also had at least 5,000 cassette tapes of his own voice talking about politics and religion. He even wanted to make the jump to tv during the late 90s/9/11 era. My dad is now financially destroyed, divorced, living off government money in subsidized housing, and drives a rusted out shell of a 2003 Pontiac he bought for 500 bucks, and none of his family speaks to him. Something tells me Jesus wasn't impressed. lol To make it even WEIRDER, he grew up best friends with Lt. General Douglas Lute, and his best friend in later life, a crazy Vietnam veteran, started a neo Confederate movement and would attend church service in a modern Confederate cosplay uniform that literally looked like something from Jake Featherston's wardrobe. Fun fact, the organization that he branched off of and supported was the one that organized the Charlottesville Torch March. This good old boy is currently campaigning in local politics for a "Sovereign, Godly, and Traditionally Southern Floridian Nation." Lmao

There's wayyyyyy more influences and inspirations, but that's a good start. Feels good to rant about my bizarre upbringing again, lol. Aside from that last entry, all the others are positive/neutral influences. No one has to tell me "sorry bud" about the childhood bit. It's what it is. lol I'm fine now. At least I got some crazy stories out of it.
West Virginia had its fair share of Confederates and Unionists most notably Stonewall Jackson though he's more associated with Virginia and Isaac H. Duval. My guess is that you have ancestors that fought on both sides. The state is also one of the most conservative, Republican and Christian places in existence which likely influenced the creation of this timeline.

Any of y'all ever watched the movie The Producers? Could be an amazing Madness story. Two Jewish producers produce a pro-Supercatholic play guaranteed to get shuttered, so they can abscond with all the excess cash they illegally raised. One of them falls for a Swedish immigrant, and they screw the other producer out of his share of the money and have him take the fall so they can live in a tropical paradise.

So just watched the original Predator yesterday and does anyone else think it would be darkly awesome for some Pinnie troops to find themselves being hunted down in the jungles by a vicious alien hunter? You're Pinnacle Fluids ain't gonna save you Jessie!
MV5BMTA3Y2VkZWQtYjQ5Yi00N2VhLTliZmItOGE5MmFlNzQxODI0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjQ4ODE4MzQ@._V1_.jpg

So just watched the original Predator yesterday and does anyone else think it would be darkly awesome for some Pinnie troops to find themselves being hunted down in the jungles by a vicious alien hunter? You're Pinnacle Fluids ain't gonna save you Jessie!

Sounds like something that a subversive filmmaker could make. On the surface its a Sci-Fi film that shows Pinnie Boy's fighting an alien in the jungles of South America and gets past the censors that way. However upon a rewatch of the movie its actually a brutal deconstruction of the Pinnacle Man and a critique of the Climax War. As what the Yanks have done to Latin America the Predator does to the Yanks.

MV5BMTA3Y2VkZWQtYjQ5Yi00N2VhLTliZmItOGE5MmFlNzQxODI0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjQ4ODE4MzQ@._V1_.jpg

1/10, Not Enough Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrring
- Eugene Elijah God-Damn-The-Infee Siskel (after his fifth hit of the good shit during filming of At The Movies with Jev and Gene)

Sounds like something that a subversive filmmaker could make. On the surface its a Sci-Fi film that shows Pinnie Boy's fighting an alien in the jungles of South America and gets past the censors that way. However upon a rewatch of the movie its actually a brutal deconstruction of the Pinnacle Man and a critique of the Climax War. As what the Yanks have done to Latin America the Predator does to the Yanks.
The filmmaker probably had some solid titanium cahones to have even go through with it.

Give the Predator strange similarities with inferior stereotypes, like red colored dreadlocks and green growing eyes, and make it so the heroes are the most possibly square jawed pinnacle and give it a happy enough ending so that people can think the message is that the Pinnacle Man can surpass it's enemies no matter how lethal they are, but throw the bitterness and subtext enough to make the deconstruction. If you want to seem an Oswald loving pinnie make the heroes of different Better races, who sacrifice together against the heathen alien for President Oswald and the fullfiled New Jerusalem.

The mention of Mormonism as one of Napo’s inspirations gave me an idea for an EU timeline where Fundamentalism doesn’t take over the Union, but just becomes like Mormonism OTL: a weird, sometimes controversial, conservative minority denomination, that slowly mellows out and becomes more “normal” over time.

The mention of Mormonism as one of Napo’s inspirations gave me an idea for an EU timeline where Fundamentalism doesn’t take over the Union, but just becomes like Mormonism OTL: a weird, sometimes controversial, conservative minority denomination, that slowly mellows out and becomes more “normal” over time.
I'd be interested in a TL where Fundementalism takes over but the RU getting some losses in causes them to mellow out.

Another perfect movie @Napoleon53 should see to get inspiration for Oswald and the Pinnies is The Wolf of Wall Street. Right, is more about 80s-90s yupies, but let me explain.

The main character, Jordan Belfort, is attractive and charismatic and has this happy energetic demeanor. But that's not where the similarities end:

- The guy is a tremendous drug consumer, of all the drugs. At the begginning of the movie he goes on a pure Oswald style narration detailing each dose of each drug he takes along the day and the reasonings for it: this for back pain, the other to concentrate better... At other scenes he explicitly doesn't want to die sober and the idea of living without being drugged half the time is tremendously boring to him.

- Is a problematic philanderer who likes all kinds of dirty games and whose marriages end up severely stranded. Belfort celebrates orgies constantly and prostitutes are a common sight in his office.

- Multiple hedonist excesses which is better to see in the movie.

- And sometimes presents himself and his company as a model of "American Dream".

Regarding pinnie culture, it's not only that the characters celebrate wild orgies and live in constant excess. They are all impregned with a neurotic almost creepy energy which I interpret must be the default state of the stereotypical white collar pinnie, and bicker between each other fuelled by pinnacle testosterone. To top it all, Matthew McCoughnahew's character dialogue on why a broker agent must snort coke daily (it keeps one always alert and active) is exactly what the George Washington Carver cocaine's chapter told on coked businessmen.

The film shows this through black comedy, many times consisting on precarious situations product of the character's vices.

Okay, so it turns out I forgot, among others, American Pyscho, Apocalypse Now, Wolf of Wall Street, and Bioshock. I have been and continue to use them for inspiration. I actually haven't seen Wolf in its entirety, but I am very familiar with the entire plot. Also, Once Upon a Time In Hollywood, which I even parodied the trailer of in Vol I. Which I will post again because it tremendously entertained me:

*wealthy dinner for MDP elites*

Nixon: "I'm Dick Nixon. It is a pleasure, Mr. Goldstein."

Goldstein: "Call me Midas. That your son?" *laughs*

Nixon: "No, that's my associate, Leslie King."

Goldstein at dinner table: "LAST NIGHT WE WATCHED A LEE OSWALD DOUBLE-FEATURE. ALL THE SHOOTING, OI VEY! I love that stuff, you know, with all the killing."

Nixon: "Lotta killing."

LEE OSWALD AS ZAP ZEPHYR: "ANYBODY ORDER FRIED LUCKY CHARMS? FRY YOU INFEE BASTARDS! HAHAHAH!"

*scene of flickering exploitation space opera as Zap Zephyr uses a flame thrower on alien scum that are Irish stereotypes*

1600153127985.png

PHILADELPHIA 1969

Girl: "You a soldier?"

King: "No, I'm a RUMP commander."

*montage of raids and crackdowns*

Hendrick: "So you still raid Infee cells?"

King: "Still here."

Patton to Nixon: "You can do anything you want to 'im."

*montage of Chuck Oswald shaking Nixon's hand and squeezing it to the point of pain. Nixon conveys hatred as their eyes meet*

Goldstein: "I heard you could be a President, Dick. Not an Oswald gopher boy. You're better than that."

*Clip of Oswald making a fool out of Nixon on national TV as Nixon stammers*

*clip of Nixon throwing things things in his office*
Nixon: "EMBARRASS YOURSELF IN FRONT OF ALL THOSE G**-DAMNED PEOPLE! BUH-BUH-BUH AROOOO. F-"

*clip of King and Nixon standing on a portico lighting up Mortons*

King: "All right, what's the matter, Dick?"

Nixon: "It's official, old chum. I'm a has-been. Here I am, flat on my ass, and who do I got living next to me? Oswald's girlfriend? One of my company's stars!"

*clip of Mundy at ticket-booth of a Nixolodeon*

Mary-Jane Mundy: "I'm Mary-Jane Mundy. I'm in the movie."

Clerk: "You're in this?"

Mundy: "That's me! I play Princess Stareena, the Pinnacle warrior princess."

*clip of white-robbed fanatics surrounding Leslie King as a high-ranking acolyte reaches out her hand*

Acolyte: "Billy's gonna dig you."

AND THAT GOSPEL GROUP, TELLIN' YOU AND ME...

Billy Graham turns around from his Roadfuhrer and smiles at King, teeth pearly white. He holds up an AFC Standard and looks to the sky*

tenor.gif

Hendrick: "In Philadelphia, it can all change..."

*Nixon grabs revolver*

Hendrick: "...Like that."

*clip of Nixon leaving a staff car*

King: "Hey..."

*Nixon turns around*

King: "You're Dick fucking Nixon. Don't you forget it."

*Nixon snaps his finger, blows his cheeks, and does the hunched Ed Sullivan-style Nixon walk into the Presidential Mansion*

Last edited:
While I was at, here's one more parody meme:

*montage of Philadelphia landmarks and the Presidential motorcade*

Oswald narrating: "My name is Chuck Oswald. I'm President of the New United States. By the year I turned 30 I was the dictator of most of the Western Hemisphere. Which pissed me off because it wasn't all of it."

*montage of Chuck, Billy Graham, and Zap Zephyr star Lee Oswald on Chuck's personal yacht*

Oswald, smoking cigar with sunglasses and reclining in deck chair: "I'd say I'm makin' a name for myself that will outshine even my most honored predecessors."

*cuts to personal dinner between Oswald and Graham at a state function*

Graham: "And nobody can tell if you're gonna be going one way this day, or that way the next, or the next having your personal butlers horsewhipped while standing on one knee and running in circles. You ever heard of Tamerlin?"

Oswald: "Well, actually, his name was Tamerlane."

Graham: "Tamerlin, Tamerlane, Tamerinoo... Any rate, that's you, Chuck. Keep it up. It keeps everyone on their toes and makes for good entertainment for me."

*footage of Oswald and Bobby taping stacks of money with Oswald's picture onto a prostitute*

Oswald narrating: "Is all this legal? Absolutely. I'm fucking Chuck."

A prostitute (*crying*): "I won't worship you! You're a monster!"

Bobby: "Well, you worship mammon, and his picture is on the money, so technically you already do, harlot."

*cuts to different bedroom scene*

Mary Jane Mundy, dressed as Princess Stareena: "Zap Zephyr, you're a 21st Century Pinnacle Man."

Oswald, dressed as Zap Zephyr in silver cosmonaut suit: *bites hand carnally through opening on glass bubble helmet*

*cuts back to the yacht as Nixon and his officers board while scowling*

Oswald: "All hail, Dick. Any sort of booze ya might want?"

Nixon: "No, my vows before Jehovah prohibit me from drinking."

Oswald: "Ooof. That's rough."

*cuts to Oswald flinging money with his own face on it at Nixon and his troupe as they leave on a speedboat*

*cuts to Oswald deliriously screaming into a microphone at a pool party while synchronized swim teams form the American flag in the pool*

MORE

*cuts to Oswald, face dusted in cocaine, paranoidly filling up a leather briefcase with 50 cal rounds and stuffing a 50 cal gun in a golf bag*

*cuts to crumpled up bills with Oswald's face being flung into a trash can*

IS NEVER ENOUGH

Oswald: "So how does this work? They got launched at the target and they stick?"

Bobby, Oswald's sidekick: "They're midgets. It's what they're built for. We loaned them out from the church wards and they're gonna make an honest bit of pocket bacon for once instead of leeching off Christian charity."

*cuts to Oswald, Bobby, Morty Krummhorn and more members of Oswald's cabinet drunkenly flinging a midget against a giant target with Nixon's face on it, and they scream gleefully when the midget's head punches a hole through it*

Oswald: "Make sure the caretakers at the church are paid to keep their mouths shut. I don't wanna get a bad reputation now."

*shot of marching band in full dress uniforms blaring a Yankee military march as a bevy of scantily clad women come streaming into Oswald's bedroom*

*cuts to Oswald ballroom dancing with his wife*

*cuts to Mary Jane Mundy in a swim suit*

*cuts to Oswald beating Bobby with a rounder bat in a fit of rage while screaming "Damnit Bobby!"*

*shot of Oswald and Lee dumping an overdosed member of staff off of the yacht*

*Chuck laughs while he holds a chimp that is wielding an M1911*

*Bobby eats a fucking goldfish while Chuck and the armed monkey laughs*

*inebriated Oswald pulling himself across floor*

*screaming chimp and muzzle flash*

*cuts back to Graham and Oswald at dinner table*

Graham, drumming hand on table to keep rhythm: "We are a sacred brotherhood, who love our country true!"

Oswald, smiling and singing back: "And we'll build the Pinnacle Future, for me and for you!"

Last edited: