An Age of Miracles Continues: The Empire of Rhomania

Alternate names for Mosul:
Gaugamelopolis (after the Battle of Gaugamela, where Alxander the great smashed the Persians?)
Iunapolis (The city of Jonas?)
Mépsila
Nenuepolis
Tigropolis (the ciy on the Tigris?)
Neinouas (An attempt on Hellenizing it)
Mausilios
Or perhpas just a humble Emperor renames it after himself (not like it didnt happen beofre: see Constantinople, Adrinaople, Alexandria, Antiochia , Seleukia etc.)

How would the ottomans figure out creating a poison gas wep? I'd figure it would be places where really education is spread out to a good portion of general population. I can see that it's possible for the lotharingians to develop it seeing their in a position, where the flow of intel and trade are coming.

Can this be one of the reason they can hold off the triunes for a significant amount of time?

The Ottomans, by the standards of the 1630s, are a well-educated and technologically advanced society, and not many people have the time, money, and interest to perform chemical experiments. The leading edge is not very far out there at this time and the Ottomans can easily be out there. Once disciplines develop and the knowledge required to master them becomes more extensive, more effort is needed to stay on the leading edge, but at this point one can still be a Renaissance Man.

It's important to note that the reduced rates of malnutrition as a consequence of agricultural advances were a very important part of why infant mortality rates dropped, since proper nutrition early in life is crucial to the development of the immune system. With that said, fertilizers were just one part of the paradigm shift in agriculture during the industrial revolution, mechanization and electricity were equally important in sustaining the population boom into the 20th century. The Haber process used for the production of ammonia is extremely energy intensive and accounts for about 2% of all global energy consumption today. Meanwhile phosphorous fertilizers are extracted from phosphorous bearing rocks using sulfuric acid, the production of which is also fairly energy intensive. Both phosphorous and potash (the major source of potassium for agriculture) are mined out of the ground, and thus benefit tremendously from mechanized mining, so 3/3 of the major macronutrients for fertilizer are in some way limited by mechanization or technologies that inherently depend on mechanization to keep up with rising demand.

* to the extent that such measures could be successful with no germ theory.

Good point. I’m thinking that a good way to keep population growth done is to not bust the Malthusian trap wide open but gradually loosen it bit by bit so that any population surges can’t get very far. If the surges can be tamped down enough until ‘low births’ becomes commonplace, then population growth won’t be that extreme.

Population control: There are such things as condoms made from sheep intestine. And there’s pulling out. And there’s also having intercourse that’s not of the mortar and pestle variety. There are lots of low tech ways to do family planning. Condoms and the pill are helpful but not necessary.

Population figures: So I went ahead and did a compiling of population figures I’ve already stated in the TL in recent years (1625 till now). So according to Mark Greengrass, author of Christendom Destroyed: Europe 1517-1648 in Appendix 5, the population of Europe in 1650, excluding Russia and the Ottoman Empire, is 74.45 million.

Here are TL totals for the area in question:
Triple Monarchy total: 22.75 million,
France: 15.5 million
England: 4.5 million
Ireland: 2.75 million

Lombardy 7.5 million
Spain: 9 million
Arles: 6 million
Holy Roman Empire: 26 million
Poland: 4 million
Lotharingia: 4 million
Empire of All the North: 3.5 million
Aragon: 1.5 million
Bernese League: 1 million

Sicily: 3.5 million

This totals to 88.75 million, nearly one fifth more than the OTL 1650 figure.

Now let’s add the rest of Europe:

Hungary: 4 million
Vlachia: 1.9 million
Russian States: 28 million
Roman Europe: 7 million

That comes up to 129.5 million, and Serbia, Prussia, and the Kingdom of the Isles are missing, so I’m going to round to 133 million. In comparison, according to Angus Maddison in The World Economy: A Millennial Perspective, pg. 231, the European population IOTL 1700 was 126.8 million.

So TTL Europe in 1635 has a population comparable, and even slightly larger than that OTL Europe in 1700. So there’s already been a noticeable population boom, so the TTL figures will not be adjusted.

The area that is off is the biggest European cities. Here are the current levels, with the first number being the 1635 figure ITTL.

Constantinople: 340,000 (700,000 in 1650 IOTL)
Paris: 270,000 (430,000 in 1650 IOTL)
London: 180,000 (400,000 in 1650 IOTL)

Now the figures for Constantinople and other Roman cities, as well as the history behind those figures, especially for Constantinople, are too well-attested for me to want to mess with them. The Excel spreadsheet earlier in the thread that showed the 49 largest cities and their populations added up to 2 million, and I figure another 2 million live in a larger group of smaller cities, leaving 4 million of 16.7 million Romans as urban dwellers. That is the proportion I want. So as to not mess with these, the Roman city figures are not being adjusted. Any weirdness with, say, Antioch can be attributed to two factors. One, Antioch would often be used to top up depopulated areas in Syria, messing with its growth rate. Two, records are spotty and untrustworthy from the comparatively unorganized 1400s and earlier.

Now Paris and London have much less excuse. So I’m retconning those figures. In keeping with the earlier estimate of Latin Europe having about 20% more people ITTL than OTL, Paris is now at 516,000 and London at 480,000. Constantinople is the third largest city in Europe at 340,000 and fifth in the world. Vijayanagara and Luoyang are numbers #1 and 2.

I got shocked by the low Constantinople pop figures until I remembered that the Romans deliberately pruned the city so as to improve sanitation.

How bad are the non-Roman cities when it comes to death rates? How do the Westerners react to the cleanliness of the Romans?

Now Paris and London have much less excuse. So I’m retconning those figures.
How fares King's Harbour? I remember its population was hovering between 150,000 and 200,000 during 1635. If its population increase is also proportional to London and Paris' own increase, that could probably place it in contention with Constantinople for a spot in the Top 5. We can really see that the Triunes are already well placed for the Industrial Revolution with an strong urban core ready to adopt new innovations.

Last edited:
A bridge over the Golden Horn would have to be tall enough for a three-decker ship of the line to pass underneath. That’s a pretty tall order (yes, the pun was intentional, leave me alone:p). Plus they would probably be security issues since it’d be a way to bypass the land walls.
I've also been thinking about this and think an upgraded version of Justinian's bridge over the Golden Horn (following the path of the current Haliç Bridge) would circumvent most of the problems brought up here. By being far enough from most piers and berths, the bridge would not need to be built monstrously tall. And it starts right outside the Theodosian Land Walls, so the security threat would still be manageable and not survival-threatening to the city. It's location would also place it in the middle of the city, so enough people wouldn't find it marginal to use.

Hmm... interesting.

May I bring to notice another possible Watsonian reason regarding population figures?

We may start by distinguishing three types of habitation: cities, towns and villages. I could say that OTL Europe had more war and rougher war in general than TTL till now, which not only killed more people, but drove many villagers into towns and townspeople into cities, which could be why OTL cities are bigger than TTL cities.

On the other hand, TTL hasn't seen the kind of rampant devastation and depopulation that OTL has, especially in areas like the Balkans. OTL Ottoman Europe in 1650 was, at the upper estimate, somewhere around 4 million. TTL Roman Europe is around 7 million, despite Roman Europe having only one major city not under OTL Ottoman control.

I say the villages and especially the towns have benefitted the most demographically from this, which may be the big reason why TTL Roman cities have experienced less growth than expected.

So TTL Europe in 1635 has a population comparable, and even slightly larger than that OTL Europe in 1700. So there’s already been a noticeable population boom, so the TTL figures will not be adjusted.

The area that is off is the biggest European cities. Here are the current levels, with the first number being the 1635 figure ITTL.

Constantinople: 340,000 (700,000 in 1650 IOTL)
Paris: 270,000 (430,000 in 1650 IOTL)
London: 180,000 (400,000 in 1650 IOTL)

Now the figures for Constantinople and other Roman cities, as well as the history behind those figures, especially for Constantinople, are too well-attested for me to want to mess with them. The Excel spreadsheet earlier in the thread that showed the 49 largest cities and their populations added up to 2 million, and I figure another 2 million live in a larger group of smaller cities, leaving 4 million of 16.7 million Romans as urban dwellers. That is the proportion I want. So as to not mess with these, the Roman city figures are not being adjusted. Any weirdness with, say, Antioch can be attributed to two factors. One, Antioch would often be used to top up depopulated areas in Syria, messing with its growth rate. Two, records are spotty and untrustworthy from the comparatively unorganized 1400s and earlier.

Now Paris and London have much less excuse. So I’m retconning those figures. In keeping with the earlier estimate of Latin Europe having about 20% more people ITTL than OTL, Paris is now at 516,000 and London at 480,000. Constantinople is the third largest city in Europe at 340,000 and fifth in the world. Vijayanagara and Luoyang are numbers #1 and 2.

That makes more sense considering the previous developments in the TL. It's kind of sad that the City of the World's Desire has lost its status as the largest city in Christendom, but hey, numbers don't count for everything.

Cryostorm

Monthly Donor
That makes more sense considering the previous developments in the TL. It's kind of sad that the City of the World's Desire has lost its status as the largest city in Christendom, but hey, numbers don't count for everything.
It is a little sad put it is likely the cleanest and most beautiful city in Christendom due to keeping the population within the limits the city can support. Also, the fact that Rhomania is pruning the larger cities means that it likely has far more small and midsized cities and large towns.

I like the changes made here.

Firstly, I didn't realise overall population actually was higher. That tracks with the changes from OTL and is fine as-is.

While Roman cities aren't as large as Paris, their urbanisation rate is good. Considering they've tried control population sizes for sanitation reasons and also regularly resettled people, this again makes sense.

Part of me is sad that the Queen of Cities isn't kicked down a few notches, but it's probably a far more pleasant place to live.

I would argue that the numbers are still too low.. Considering most ittl european nations have congregated into pretty much nation states. And not alot of infighting and depopulation is happening due to war and famine etc. Sure alot of People died due to the Roman advance into HRE but alot of its lands were still untuched by war some were drafted to fight. So population would build up alot more over time.

A solution to overpopulation in europo is to have a much earlier and larger exodus to the americas/colonies from europe. I see a grim fate for the empire of Mexico coming if this is the case.

Would Paris and London be as high proportionally to OTL without being the capitals of their respective countries ITTL?

Would Paris and London be as high proportionally to OTL without being the capitals of their respective countries ITTL?
They're still capitals. The Triunes haven't gone through with an Act of Union, so the person of the monarch is the only thing holding their three constituent kingdoms together. Aside from the crowned head each kingdom has its own governing system in place: England has a Parliament in London, France has an Estates General in Paris, Ireland has an Assembly in Dublin.

If any of the Kingdoms implements a different succession system, or if the Kingdoms start having conflicts of interests, then the whole thing will fall apart.

Last edited:
Hmm... interesting.

May I bring to notice another possible Watsonian reason regarding population figures?

We may start by distinguishing three types of habitation: cities, towns and villages. I could say that OTL Europe had more war and rougher war in general than TTL till now, which not only killed more people, but drove many villagers into towns and townspeople into cities, which could be why OTL cities are bigger than TTL cities.

On the other hand, TTL hasn't seen the kind of rampant devastation and depopulation that OTL has, especially in areas like the Balkans. OTL Ottoman Europe in 1650 was, at the upper estimate, somewhere around 4 million. TTL Roman Europe is around 7 million, despite Roman Europe having only one major city not under OTL Ottoman control.

I say the villages and especially the towns have benefitted the most demographically from this, which may be the big reason why TTL Roman cities have experienced less growth than expected.
It's not bad I think that the population is evenly spread out, considering that one of the updates already states that there is a growing contact by the govt to the people on the countryside.

Hey! At least the city doesn't smell like sh*t like those so called top cities by those latin europeans.

I discovered this TL a couple of weeks ago, and have been working my way through it. I've really enjoyed the whole thing.

In the most recent update, is Anna Albanese a nod to Artemisia Gentileschi?

They're still capitals. The Triunes haven't gone through with an Act of Union, so the person of the monarch is the only thing holding their three constituent kingdoms together. Aside from the crowned head each kingdom has its own governing system in place: England has a Parliament in London, France has an Estates General in Paris, Ireland has an Assembly in Dublin.

If any of the Kingdoms implements a different succession system, or if the Kingdoms start having conflicts of interests, then the whole thing will fall apart.
The kingdoms implementing different succession would be an interesting way to start a civil war. Maybe different parts want different heirs for different reasons. The general estates has firm control over the firstborn son due to some form or disability. The other two kingdoms (three if we add Lotharingia) want a competent king so they turn to the second born who promises more autonomy and less frenchification for their support against the French. Could actually lead to a permanent split if they can stalemate. You could even get some kind of extremely weird border with the French gaining South East England as it is increasingly French in nature while the new Triune kingdom gets Artois and Pircardy (if Lotharingia doesn’t have these already.) or perhaps Brittany if they do as the balance to losing London.

I don’t think this will happen but I like sharing my ideas when I have them so there you go.