Weekly Flag Challenge: Discussion & Entries

Here is a quick entry with a PoD a fair bit before the end of WW1 since it's for a China-dominated world.

I won't do a big writeup since as I said it's a quick entry but long story short the below is the flag of Tianxia - a loose confederation of most states on Earth. It was established after the catastrophic Wars of the Five Directions that devastated the world in the decades following the collapse of the world-spanning Chinese Empire.

View attachment 577527

Symbolism of the flag is as follows:
The Five Colors = five traditional Chinese directions (black = north; blue = east; red = south; white = west; yellow = center)
天下 = Tianxia = All Under Heaven
和諧統一 = Héxié tǒngyī = Harmonious Unity
Was the use of the character “兲“ in the place of “天” intentional?

Was the use of the character “兲“ in the place of “天” intentional?
Yes. Since the the PoD is probably sometime in the (early) middle ages (in terms of the Chinese history probably around late Tang dynasty) it would be rather unlikely that all characters became standardized in exactly the same way as in OTL
Because of that I decided to use 兲 instead of 天 (since AFAIK the former is sometimes used as an alternate form of the later) to convey this divergence without doing a deep dive into intricacies of Chinese script development over the ages.

Of course since I don't read Chinese I might be very wrong in this regard and if so I'll be more than glad if someone pointed out my mistake.

Last edited:
I'm thinking Anglo-French union as a basis.
Would that be variable enough for people?
Probably okay, depending on what limits, if any, you place on the PoD - which would also dictate whether it's just 'Anglo' or 'British' - could it include 'union of any nation in the British Isles with France'? (Yes, I know the most likely is En-Fr, but there are some very creative minds on here!)

Maybe you could widen it to Unions between two nations (Great Britain, Sweden-Norway, Poland-Lithuania, Austria-Hungary) but tbh Anglo-French Union should be fine imo.
Probably okay, depending on what limits, if any, you place on the PoD - which would also dictate whether it's just 'Anglo' or 'British' - could it include 'union of any nation in the British Isles with France'? (Yes, I know the most likely is En-Fr, but there are some very creative minds on here!)
Now that gives me few ideas!

I should have something up later.

Flag Challenge 231: GB = Gallo-Britannic

Design a flag for a polity evolved from the equal union of a state based in "Gallic" Europe and that in the British Isles.

Restrictions & definitions:
Gallic Europe is defined as the lands between the Pyrenees, the Juras, the Weser River, and the Channel.
The British Isles is defined as those islands between the Atlantic, Channel, and North Sea.
The POD must be between Roman Britain and WW2.
The union must originally have been between equal sovereign states.

Submissions Open: Now
Submissions Close: 23.59 BST 5th September 2020

Flag of the early 16th century union between Scotland and (Lower) Navarre. Seeking to avoid being absorbed by France or conquered by Aragon, Navarre allies itself with Scotland. No doubt this annoys France to no end.
Navarro-Scottish Union (gyronny).png

Navarre by Wikimedia user Miguillen - Own work, CC BY-SA 4.0
Scotland - Public domain

The Union of Brittany and Wales
Ermine Dragon.png

Known as the Ermine Dragon flag, this flag was created to represent the union of Brittany and Wales. After the Great War, the Celtic countries got their first taste of independence in centuries. While Ireland and Scotland formed their own independent nations, Brittany and Wales saw themselves as too small to be alone. Their solution was the creation of a union between the two.

The flag combined the tradition ermine field of Brittany with the Welsh dragon.

GwenofGwened. Flag of the Province of Brittany. 6 May 2010. https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Drapeau_de_la_province_de_Bretagne_(1532).svg. Accessed 31 August 2020.
Jakobs, Tobias. Flag of Wales. https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Flag_of_Wales_(1959–present).svg. Accessed 31 August 2020.
Zscouts370. Kroaz Du. https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Kroaz_Du.svg. Accessed 31 August 2020.

United Duchies of Cornwall and Cornwall
Flag of the United Duchies of Cornwall.png

The United Duchies of Cornwall and Cornwall, commonly known as the Two Cornwalls, came about following the death of Mark V of Insular Cornwall (Sx: Cornweallas) without surviving issue and so the territories passed to Alan IV of Continental Cornwall (Gl: Cornouaille).

The Two Cornwalls consisted of Insular Cornwall on South West Peninsula of Great Britain and Continental Cornwall on the Lesser Britain Peninsula of Gaul, both linguistically distinct from their neighbours - Saxon-speaking Wessex in Great Britain and Gallo-speaking Normandy in Gaul - but speaking two dialects of the same Cornish language.