2018 Presidential Election

MaxGerke01

Banned
In addition to Virginia Colorado and New Mexico seem much more Republican in ttl. Was there marijuana legalization in Colorado ittl?

Some useless trivia, resulting from me thinking about the folk wisdom that American voters typically elect taller candidates for president (since 1900, when the candidates were different heights, the taller candidate won 20 times compared to the shorter one winning only 9 times). I figured it would be interesting to see how TWW stacks up, with the taller candidate in bold (italics means both candidates were the same height):

1986: D. Wire Newman (6'7") def. Joseph Furman (5'9")
1990: Owen Lassiter (5'9") def. D. Wire Newman (6'7")
1994: Owen Lassiter (5'9") def. Roland Pierce (5'9")
1998: Josiah Bartlet (5'7") def. Lewis D. Eisenhower (6'1")
2002: Josiah Bartlet (5'7") def. Robert Ritchie (6'4")
2006: Matthew Santos (6'3½") def. Arnold Vinick (6'2")
2010: Glen Allen Walken (6'2") def. Matthew Santos (6'3½")
2014: Glen Allen Walken (6'2") def. Jimmy Fitzismmons (5'10¾")
2018: Sam Seaborn (5'11") def. Henry Shallick (5'11")

So, that bit of wisdom might not be as applicable ITTL as IOTL; since 1986, the taller candidate has won three times won versus four times the shorter guy did, and two times where both candidates were the same height. However, it is notable that TWWverse is much more willing to nominate candidates who are at or below the average height for an American man (5'9") than OTL; since 1986, the main parties have nominated an average or short guy one-third (6/18= 33.3%) of the time, while since IOTL 1988, there have been only two (Dukakis & McCain) male nominees* who were average or slightly below-average height (2/17= 11.8%).

Where do each of our ATL presidents measure (ha) up on the list of presidential heights? Well, this should answer that question:

8yn0c56.png

Former acting president George P. Bush would be in the group tied for 35th on the list at 5'8" if he had become president in his own right.

For vice presidents, incumbent Jack Hunter is 6'0". His immediate predecessor, Liz Clark, is 5'4" and would have tied Madison as the shortest president if she had had to take over from Glen Allen Walken.

*- For those wondering, Hillary is slightly taller (5'5") than average (5'4") for an American woman, but was still the shortest major party nominee since Stephen A. Douglas (5'4") in 1860.

How is this still alive?
The whole story actually started way back on December 4th 2008 with the "original" thread "2010 Presidential Election". Initially it was only meant to have run up to the 2010 Presidential Election (as per the WW universe) but because of it's success and people wanted us to continue, continue we did. At the start of July 2018, having out-run the title of the thread by some eight years and at over 500 pages long, I was asked to start a new thread by the moderator "2018 Presidential Election" and thus the current incarnation of the story on this board.

Last edited:

MaxGerke01

Banned
So have any of the following issues been addressed yet ?-
How have other secessionist movements fared ittl -Canada is still intact right ? Is there a NAFTA? So there was no 9/11 I would imagine-what is the overall Middle East situation ? How did the collapse of the Soviet Union play out ittl and have NATO and the EU expanded,contracted or remained the same ? How are American/Chinese relations compared to OTL ? What has happened with NASA and the space program ? Is there something like Bartletcare ? What does the Supreme Court look like ? Any changes in the British royal family ? Who is the Pope ? Was there anything like the great recession of 2008 ? Anything like the Covid 19 pandemic ? Also there havent been any presidential impeachments right (which would be another indication of a less partisan environment) ?

Last edited:
How have other secessionist movements fared ittl -Canada is still intact right ? Is there a NAFTA? So there was no 9/11 I would imagine-what is the overall Middle East situation ? How did the collapse of the Soviet Union play out ittl and have NATO and the EU expanded,contracted or remained the same ? How are American/Chinese relations compared to OTL ? What has happened with NASA and the space program ? Is there something like Bartletcare ? What does the Supreme Court look like ? Any changes in the British royal family ? Who is the Pope ? Was there anything like the great recession of 2008 ? Anything like the Covid 19 pandemic ? Also there havent been any presidential impeachments right (which would be another indication of a less partisan environment) ?
The Pope is Pope Clement XV and his election and wikibox is available here: https://www.alternatehistory.com/fo...dential-election.446643/page-96#post-18577391
Info on his election is over the preceding pages.

So I'm willing to answer this gigantic list of questions, but I ask that maybe you limit your questions so as not to clutter up the thread too much. A search of either this thread or the old thread might reveal the answer to your questions.

[1]How have other secessionist movements fared ittl -Canada is still intact right ? [2] Is there a NAFTA? [3] So there was no 9/11 I would imagine-what is the overall Middle East situation ? [4] How did the collapse of the Soviet Union play out ittl and have NATO and the EU expanded,contracted or remained the same ? [5] How are American/Chinese relations compared to OTL ? [6] What has happened with NASA and the space program ? [7] Is there something like Bartletcare ? [8] What does the Supreme Court look like ? [9] Any changes in the British royal family ? [10] Who is the Pope ? [11] Was there anything like the great recession of 2008 ? [12] Anything like the Covid 19 pandemic ? [13] Also there havent been any presidential impeachments right (which would be another indication of a less partisan environment) ?

[1] - Not sure what ones you have in mind, but yes, Canada is still together.
[2] - Yes.
[3] - The Middle East is kind of different than OTL. The Holy Land is somewhat peaceful, with Israel, Palestine and the Free City of Jerusalem (with borders based on the 1947 UN Peace Plan) existing alongside each other peacefully. Syria attempted to capitalize on the establishment of Jerusalem as a new state by invading in 2011, but the result was their invasion quickly being repulsed and their leader (a stand-in for Assad) overthrown and killed. They're now (relatively) democratic. Iraq is still under Ba'athist control; Saddam Hussein just died and Rashid Khald al-Faruq (fictional character) outmaneuvered Uday Hussein to seize power.

Qumar is turning around, but the US and UK have been there since the country's government collapsed in 2016 (China also helped in the pacification and occupation but left in 2019).
[4] - Largely similar to OTL. NATO & the EU have largely remained the same--TTL's Brexit vote (before the RL vote was even proposed by the Cameron government) went for "remain", so the UK is still in the EU ITTL.
[5] - Broadly better since no president ITTL has made antagonizing China to be an explicit part of their trade policy.
[6] - Largely similar to OTL. There aren't moon bases or manned Mars missions or anything.
[7] - No.
[8] - This is the closest to a write-up on the current court. Carmine has retired and President Seaborn has nominated US District Court judge Olivia Emmett Franklin to succeed her.
[9] - We haven't really covered them since they're pretty much irrelevant to the functioning of the British government. Elizabeth II is still around (IIRC Helen Mirren's portrayal was used for her picture instead of the OTL person), and Prince Charles is still first in line to succeed her.
[10] - Already answered.
[11] - Yes, and it was one of the reasons why Matthew Santos lost his bid for re-election in 2010.
[12] - Already answered.
[13] - No. The closest since the OTL Nixon drive that ended with his resignation was the show's congressional investigation into Bartlet over the MS scandal that resulted in him being censured.

mspence

Banned
Also #6: There was the secret military shuttle scandal which got Toby fired (he was later pardoned by Bartlett as one of his last acts in office); it seems there haven't been any similar projects since then.

MaxGerke01

Banned
Wow I continue to be more impressed with the work here .With 650 plus pages Im sure there are tons of Wikiboxes and writes ups about lots of people and topic I havent eve brought up -is there anything like an index or comprehensive list of those that could be posted? Also an FYI the series is currently on the free version of Peacock streaming and Im want to watch at least some of them as Im not sure where Id find te time for the whole thng in order but does anyone know which episodes cover the 2002 and 2006 election nights as I guess those would be a good place to start ( or 1986,1990,1994 and 1998 if there is anything)

Wow I continue to be more impressed with the work here .With 650 plus pages Im sure there are tons of Wikiboxes and writes ups about lots of people and topic I havent eve brought up -is there anything like an index or comprehensive list of those that could be posted? Also an FYI the series is currently on the free version of Peacock streaming and Im want to watch at least some of them as Im not sure where Id find te time for the whole thng in order but does anyone know which episodes cover the 2002 and 2006 election nights as I guess those would be a good place to start ( or 1986,1990,1994 and 1998 if there is anything)
Here is a partial index of some infoboxes from this thread. Additionally if you use the search function in the old thread you can find tons of content.

Dude, you don't watch The West Wing in bits and pieces. You just don't.