The Campaign Trail Game Has Returned.

Carter/ Church running against Ford in 1976:

This was not strictly a self-sabotage, but I ran Carter as a conservative on everything except foreign policy, where is was decidedly dovish, and even had him support the general's anti-zionist remarks. The one concession I made to getting Carter elected was support for the ERA, since the game for reasons I don't understand (because the amendment completely flopped historically) really hits you hard if you go against the ERA, even Ford.

As usual with the Cold War era scenarios, the map overstates Ford's actual support. He wins with a national popular vote margin of less than 2% and gets a nationwide popular vote plurality, not majority, but you wouldn't know this from looking at the map.

I mean, is it accurate to say that it completely flopped historically when it got just a few states less than that needed to become law, and did have support from many politicians in both parties? Plus looking at some polling from the time period, it looks like it generally polled pretty highly, I'm seeing a 1975 poll saying 58% were in favor of it for example. Sounds to me more like a narrow miss for something that was pretty popular, just not quite enough to get the 3/4 supermajority of states to ratify, rather than a "complete flop"

And in another direction... I thought the game doesn't even hit you hard if you go against it as Ford... At least I've managed to get some sizable wins, and always do it by going against it

You are always given the advice that this ia a really bad move if you go against the ERA. Maybe the advice in the game is completely worthless. Of course why even include the question if both candidates are always supposed to answer it the wrong way?

Reagan went against the ERA, ran a competitive campaign in 1976 and won in 1980 and 1984, and once the amendment failed no attempt whatsoever was made to revive it, so my take is that this was a weird moralistic overreach amendment like the 18th, except the 18th actually passed, but the ERA probably would have the second amendment to be repealed later if it had passed. Presidents have nothing to do with amendments to the constitution so the proper response of candidates to proposed ones is not to comment at all.

My personal best as Trump on Normal. Still haven't managed to capture Colorado, however.

Screen Shot 2020-08-30 at 12.46.51 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-08-30 at 12.47.12 PM.png

You are always given the advice that this ia a really bad move if you go against the ERA. Maybe the advice in the game is completely worthless. Of course why even include the question if both candidates are always supposed to answer it the wrong way?

Reagan went against the ERA, ran a competitive campaign in 1976 and won in 1980 and 1984, and once the amendment failed no attempt whatsoever was made to revive it, so my take is that this was a weird moralistic overreach amendment like the 18th, except the 18th actually passed, but the ERA probably would have the second amendment to be repealed later if it had passed. Presidents have nothing to do with amendments to the constitution so the proper response of candidates to proposed ones is not to comment at all.

You are given advice that it is a bad move only as Carter. As Ford, you are told that it upsets some women voters but also fires up the party base, its far from presented as a really bad move

And sure, Presidents aren't directly involved in amendments, but some still give public support for amendments. It isn't like Presidents or candidates have always just not commented at all, iirc Nixon openly supported the ERA, Gerald Ford OTL spoke out for it, and Jimmy Carter himself did have some involvement not just verbally supporting it but also did have some direct involvement with signing legislation that extended the congressional deadline. And sure, Reagan won going against the ERA... but, well, him getting about half the vote in the GOP primary doesn't really go against the idea that a sizable but not overwhelming majority of the general public was for the amendment, and in 1980 and 1984, maybe it was just one of those issues that wasn't a big deal in the eyes of the public, especially among the eyes of those who would consider voting GOP, with all that was going on nationally, while in 1976 maybe it would have been a bigger deal for Carter, a Democrat rather than a Republican, to come out against it or not endorse it

And I'm not really sure it makes sense to look at an amendment for equal rights for women as a "weird moralistic amendment" akin to one outlawing alcohol. And if it did pass, even with Reagan being against it and with the conservative leaning Reagan era, I don't know if we'd see 38 states being willing to repeal it, its one thing for a conservative president who isn't all that involved in it (especially once it is passed) to be against it but another thing altogether to get state level majorities who are willing to outright get rid of the amendment - supporting some general social conservatism is one thing, but I could imagine that supporting the repeal of what could become seen as a major civil rights amendment protecting half the population could create more of a backlash once that amendment was enacted and becomes part of the status quo

Anyway, speaking of 1976 elections... Here's a Ford 1976 win on easy, winning the popular vote by 6 million votes and winning every state outside of the south except WV and MA, plus winning OK, TX, LA, MS, FL, NC, and VA in the south. And here's a Ford win on normal, rather more narrow in the popular vote, by less than 1 million votes, but winning all the Ford OTL states plus PA, OH, WI, MO, TX, MS, FL, and HI, for a very solid electoral vote win of 370. Both with Ford generally taking a conservative stance including opposing the ERA, and getting in the top 99% of results

And going back doing some as Carter, it looks like just saying it is up to Congress and not commenting otherwise results in a "some wings of the party are pretty disappointed" remark from the advisor, which isn't necessarily the same as it being presented as a "really bad move". Here's a Carter win on normal, winning by 4.5 million votes and nearly 450 electoral votes, where Carter takes the "its up to Congress" stance on the ERA, that was in the top 99% of results. And here's a Carter win on easy, winning by 9.2 million votes and over 500 electoral votes, with the same strategy, that doesn't quite get as high but does get to the top 98% of results

So it isn't clear that it is particularly harmful for either candidate. As for why including the question in the first place? Well, its possible to win while running in favor of it too, there could be different strategies to win, like running as as a socially liberal Democrat/Republican as opposed to a socially conservative or moderate one, it could be a matter of different appeals to different parts of the coalitions

Last edited:
Managed to re-create the 2016 Election results (with the exception of pesky Michigan) as Trump, on Impossible; top 98%* of results if I remember correctly. It seems that a couple of attacks to Clinton from the populist left plus a couple of state-man answers is a sound strategy.

And just got a comfortable victory in 1948 with Truman, on Impossible too. Top 99.4% of results. It's funny: Last year in a period of boredom I had to grind for an hour to win, and it was a much closer thing (291-202-38), whereas now I get it right in a casual attempt. Oh well, that's life.

And just after I posted the above, I had this:

Look at Florida. Look at Tennessee. Look at New Mexico too (although that doesn't really impact the electoral outcome). Fuck, Gore just can't seem to get a break even in virtual reality.

Any tips for Gore on difficulties greater than easy. I almost always lose even when picking all 'good' options.

1. The main four states to focus on are Florida (that's the big one), Ohio, Missouri, and Tennessee. A few visits to Iowa and Wisconsin don't hurt, either.

2. Bob Graham is probably the ideal running mate, particularly to help you get Florida.

3. Praise Clinton extensively and at every opportunity. For your platform, run a certain kind of centrist liberalism; stay to the center on trade and abortion, but do speak in favor of spending the surplus on domestic spending, increasing Social Security payments, funding Medicare, funding the Department of Education, etc. Support the Kyoto Protocol and oppose drilling in the ANWR. Promote a mainstream internationalist foreign policy and support Clinton's foreign policy actions.

4. Don't get involved in the scandals. Stay out of commenting on Elian, Hillary running in New York, inventing the Internet, or Bush's DUI.

Took the advice above on normal, and won a squeaker with Graham. 286 to 252.
Some close states I lost Iowa by just 304 votes. won Arkansas by 943 votes, lost New Mexico by 989 votes, Tennessee by 4,040 votes, and won Florida by 30, 533 votes.

Last edited:
I'm gonna wait until thay add another snario probly 2020 snario or thay add one before the 2020 one but I well be on this website often

For 2000, I've found that actually Bob Graham isn't that necessary, it seems like Bayh is better, and also that going solidly liberal on abortion, while hedging on the Kyoto protocol, seems to work well, as well as just fully backing Clinton in regards to the scandals, and it looks like backing Hillary in NY doesn't necessarily hurt either, same with inventing the internet

Also, apparently the results links aren't showing the answers to the questions anymore, at least on new games, though I'm able to see the answers on my old results. So, digging some of those back up...

Here's a Gore/Bayh win, with a popular vote margin of 2.9%, and winning all the Obama 2012 states except Virginia, but also with the addition of Missouri, Arkansas, and Tennessee, for a total of 357 electoral votes. Here's another one, along the same lines, with a larger popular vote margin of 4.2%, with the same map as above except Gore loses Nevada

Though there's also some amount of luck involved. I just did the 2000 election 3 times in a row with that same strategy. First time, I got this win, with the above map except with Gore also losing CO, for an electoral vote total of 345 and a popular vote margin of just 1.5%. Second time, I got this one, with a popular vote margin of 2.1%, larger than the first one, but with a smaller electoral vote total of just 299, taking just the OTL Gore states plus NH, MO, TN, and AR. And the third time, I outright lost, with this result, a popular vote win of 0.2% and 265 electoral votes, winning OTL states plus AR, MO, and TN, but minus WI, NM, and OR, very narrowly losing the election by just 245 votes in New Hampshire and 669 votes in Oregon

Though those were also all with just not even bothering to campaign in any swing states even a single time (why do that when you could just run up the popular vote in California, lol). You have a good chance of winning most of the swing states with this strategy even without actively competing in them or having a candidate from any of them (though I think Bayh helps a bit in a bunch of swing states, with getting some more of the middle of the road vote), so I'm thinking it is a better option than going with Graham, though this is still just speaking from personal experience and the campaigns I've done

This is a pretty neat game, but it's got a far-from-ideal difficulty level scaling, at least on Impossible.
There are scenarios in which you have to play dumb to lose, like in 1860 (although this one makes sense), 1896, 1968 or 1988 - while there are others in which even after applying a close-to-ideal strategy you still may very well fail, like in 1844, 1916, 1976 or 2000. I've honestly got no idea how to win with either Clay or Polk in '44, barring some "perfect" set of questions I've yet to encounter; same with '76 Ford (with Carter is just somewhat challenging). Any of you folks has fared better?

Tried Gore using the advice above on normal, won 327-211, flipping FL, OH, AR, TN and NH from OTL (but lost IA), and won the pv by 0.9%. My best Gore win in 2000 I believe.

This is a pretty neat game, but it's got a far-from-ideal difficulty level scaling, at least on Impossible.
There are scenarios in which you have to play dumb to lose, like in 1860 (although this one makes sense), 1896, 1968 or 1988 - while there are others in which even after applying a close-to-ideal strategy you still may very well fail, like in 1844, 1916, 1976 or 2000. I've honestly got no idea how to win with either Clay or Polk in '44, barring some "perfect" set of questions I've yet to encounter; same with '76 Ford (with Carter is just somewhat challenging). Any of you folks has fared better?

I mean do bear in mind it is impossible difficulty, so I could see it making sense that while some elections had enough wiggle room for a candidate to win even with things being rather more difficult than OTL, that it wouldn't always be assured

As for some of the ones you mentioned, I might have managed to win as Ford in '76 at one point, but I didn't save that result, and I tried a bunch of times now and couldn't do it. I might have gotten a Polk win too, but I am not sure, similarly. I don't think I ever got a Gore or Bush win either. In 1916, I got this as Wilson, but iirc it took a while and some luck, and idk if I ever got it as Hughes. I just managed to come close, a bit more focus in West Virginia and Maine might have been enough, but I'm kind of short for time at the moment, I might try it more times later to see if I can pull it off

The thing is, in terms of the nuts and bolts, every election year has the same difficulty scaling, so that could make a difference in terms of some elections just having more ability to shift things vs others not having as much

I mean do bear in mind it is impossible difficulty, so I could see it making sense that while some elections had enough wiggle room for a candidate to win even with things being rather more difficult than OTL, that it wouldn't always be assured
Yeah, I'm aware of that, it's just that after a session of trying to win with '44 Polk and getting consistently close to winning without never actually achieving to do so (even after perfecting all the answers) while when casually playing with '68 Humphrey I'm still able to get a Normal-like victory... welp, bruh moment.

As for some of the ones you mentioned, I might have managed to win as Ford in '76 at one point, but I didn't save that result, and I tried a bunch of times now and couldn't do it. I might have gotten a Polk win too, but I am not sure, similarly. I don't think I ever got a Gore or Bush win either. In 1916, I got this as Wilson, but iirc it took a while and some luck, and idk if I ever got it as Hughes. I just managed to come close, a bit more focus in West Virginia and Maine might have been enough, but I'm kind of short for time at the moment, I might try it more times later to see if I can pull it off
Ah, that's too bad. Seeing the Wilson victory is encouraging though, thanks.

The thing is, in terms of the nuts and bolts, every election year has the same difficulty scaling, so that could make a difference in terms of some elections just having more ability to shift things vs others not having as much
Exactly!

Yeah, I'm aware of that, it's just that after a session of trying to win with '44 Polk and getting consistently close to winning without never actually achieving to do so (even after perfecting all the answers) while when casually playing with '68 Humphrey I'm still able to get a Normal-like victory... welp, bruh moment.

Ah, that's too bad. Seeing the Wilson victory is encouraging though, thanks.

Exactly!
So, I ended up doing a couple '44 and '16 games, I managed to get both a Polk win and a Hughes win on impossible

Since the answers don't show up, for comparison here's some old games on easy for 1844 and 1916, I used the same sort of strategy here on impossible that I used for those

Oh! And there was another thing I forgot to mention earlier... there used to be a thing on the site called the "hall of fame" that showed the top 10 results for each candidate on each difficulty (except easy). For months if not over a year, that function hasn't worked at all, and for a while before that, it worked sometimes but sometimes didn't load. Now, one of the things with that was, some of the results appeared unusually high, and it was later figured out that it is possible to "hack" the site with some very simple inspect element/console stuff, which clearly accounted for at least some of the results. But even with that going on, I don't think I ever saw a Clay result in the top 10 for impossible that had won. Took quite a while, too, for there to even be any Ford or Clay wins on normal from what I remember. I do think I saw a Ford win on impossible eventually, though I'm not sure if that was done fairly or via hacking

Now, you can't see that, and even if you could, all the leaderboards would likely just show hacked results all the way down. One thing you can still look at is the stuff on the front page, if you scroll down to "Campaign Trail results and averages by election:", you can look at the win percent, and the popular and electoral vote averages and ranges nationally and state-by-state for each election, difficulty, and candidate. It used to be that looking at the "range" stuff would allow you to see the maximum that people could regularly get, but now you have things like, just as an example, the "impossible" results for 1844 showing the range of popular votes being so wide that it goes from Clay getting just 14 votes, to Polk getting literally zero votes... and there's also Trump, Clinton, Johnson, and Stein who got inserted into some people's games via "hacking", which leads to an interesting thing where, under the "Win %" section, Clay wins 94% of the time, Polk wins 6% of the time, and Clinton wins 100% of the time