Alternate Wikipedia Infoboxes VI (Do Not Post Current Politics or Political Figures Here)

Status
Not open for further replies.
XGMDdrY.png

“With Rising Sun, Crichton had made a crucial turn from constructing fantasy to chronicling reality. And, for the first time, he had an obvious influence on reality—political reality, at least. Pat Choate, a fellow Japan critic who knew Crichton at the time and who became Ross Perot’s running mate in the 1996 presidential election, told me that Perot had ‘pick[ed] up’ Rising Sun’s themes during his campaign. Choate added that he remembers Crichton as having been an enthusiastic Perot supporter.”
-"Jurassic President", Michael Crowley, The New Republic, March 19, 2006

This is excellent work but I have to say I'm very concerned about the state of Democratic politics in this world.

Coming from a country dominated by political dynastic families, I completely get what you're coming from. I guess the one tiny redeeming factor is that (most) of the Kennedys have qualification and experience before running for office. As to how they were able to obtain that experience, well...

How did Spiro Agnew win a presidential election?

I haven't completely fleshed out the history, but here's the basics: After his loss in CA-GOV 1962, Richard Nixon does not run for any political office ever again. Agnew wins the 1968 GOP primary, capitalizing upon his moderate image and Nelson Rockefeller's refusal to enter the race and the weakness of his preferred candidate, George Romney. He then manages to pull off a narrow win against Vice President Terry Sanford.

No JFK Jr?

Thought about including him, but I couldn't find any decent 'aged' photos of him--in fact the one of his dad was the only good one I could find. In this timeline, Junior decides that journalism and law are more his passion in life and plans earlier on not to get into politics. His death in the plane crash motivates Caroline to run for office, and she successfully wins a congressional seat in 2000.

One of the less plausible things there is who Jack and Bobby have the same number of kids as OTL when Jack’s youngest son was born (and died shortly after birth) few months before his death and Bobby’s youngest daughter was born after his (true who Ethel was already 40 years old but she was clearly against any kind of birth control while Jackie was only 34 years old)

This definitely makes sense, but I didn't want to create fictional characters for this timeline.

Why do Americans presume George III was their oppressor? He had some sway over the appointment of Governments, but the choice of the Commons would generally prevail; he didn't veto any Bills passed by Parliament (no monarch had since 1707). Your beef was with a Parliament passing bills that had been elected on a limited franchise but still more representative than almost any legislative assembly in the world.

I'm not American, I'm British, but I can see from my post why you might think that. I posted at a very late hour when I probably should have worded it more diplomatically and was expressing my disappointment that for all the talk of ditching George III and hereditary powers in general (even when the real beef the Americans had was with that Parliament), instead you see dynasties like the Kennedys, Clintons, Bushes, etc., still prominent in American politics.

You make a good point that with sufficient devolution of power the hereditary prinicple works just fine. Although I used to more strongly disagree with the idea, I would still consider myself a monarchist but on the basis of other justifications for its position. The general point I intended to make was about consistency of political ideas.

Based off an old idea.
Dutchies in Hurona.png
Dutch Huronians (Dutch: Nederlandse Huronians, French: Huroniens néerlandais) also known as New Hollanders are Dutch American or Dutch speaking residents of the U.P. Province of Huronia. They are sometimes known as New Hollanders, after the region they mostly inhabit in Western Huronia. In the 2010 Census, 865,000 Huronians reported to be of Dutch descent, while 150,000 Huronians reported to speak Dutch at home.

Dutch Huronians constitute the largest Dutch speaking community in the United Provinces, and the third largest language group in Huronia behind French and English speakers. Dutch is also the third most common ethnic background reported in the province. The Dutch speaking community is mainly concentrated in rural New Holland, although there are Dutch majority cities such as Holland.

Dutch presence in Huronia dates to the end of the 18th century, although Huronia’s Dutch population mainly stems from Dutch immigration beginning in the 1840s, which continued throughout the rest of the 19th century. Since the Languages Act of 1983, Dutch has been recognized as a minority language in Huronia.

Protégé sons,
What would the lives be like for the sons of prominent political figures be like*

Born in October 18,1759, at Mount Vernon, George Augustine (Georgie) Washington, was a healthy strong boy and raised along side half siblings, John Parke Custis (Jacky) and Martha Parke (Patsy) Custis, children from his mother’s previous marriage.
In 1773 the family lost Patsy at the age of seventeen, this hit four year old Georgie hard and while his older brother was a troubled, lazy and "free-willed" child, who took no interest in his studies; Georgie was the complete opposite, his father hired the best tutors with Georgie taking great interest in his father’s political and administrational work, taking on his own opposition to taxes imposed by the British Parliament on the Colonies without proper representation.
On June 14, 1775, the Continental Congress created the Continental Army, with both Samuel and John Adams nominating Washington to become its commander in chief, 15 year old, Georgie would be his right hand man, working along side Alexander Hamilton, handling the letters to Congress, state governors, and the most powerful generals in the Continental Army.

Following the war, Georgie would go on to graduate from College of William and Mary in 1778 and read law in 1781.
On September 7, 1785, he married Anne Henry (1767-1799) daughter of incumbent Governor of Virginia, Patrick Henry, whom Georgie would succeed as Governor in December 1, 1786. Together Georgie and Anne would have five children together:
1) George Washington II (1788-1849) m. 1804, Angelica Hamilton (1784-1857) daughter of his father's vice president.
2) Martha Washington (1790-1806) died aged 16.
3) Patrick Henry Washington (1793-1866) m. 1811, Mary Marshall (1795-1841) daughter of John Marshall
4) Anne Washington (1795-1873) m. Henry "Black-Horse Harry" Lee IV (1787-1837) son of his father's governor successor and federalist ally, Henry Lee III.
5) Augustine Washington (1797-1819) died aged 22, during the First Seminole War

The marriages had been arranged between Georgie and his political allies.

Five months into his third and final term, his father was elected as President, many expected him to stay out of national politics but instead in 1790, he stood for election as a Pro-Administration candidate in Virginia’s 10th District against Samuel Griffin, who had crossed the floor and stood as an Anti-Administration. Georgie won by a small majority.
Georgie served four terms before being nominated, over Incumbent Vice President John Adams as the Federalist Party candidate, he was able to swing Virginia, being elected to be the second president, defeating Thomas Jefferson, whom came third behind, Alexander Hamilton, who became Vice President.
During his terms, Georgie encountered fierce criticism from Jefferson and members of the Democratic-Republicans, however with the support of Federalist like VP Hamilton, John Jay, father-in-law Patrick Henry and former VP John Adams, his term was seen as successful.

He brought about strengthening the democracy and national security by passing the “Sedition Acts” which criminalized making false statements that were critical of the federal government, some federalist like John Adams, wanted to bring about an act which would make it harder for an immigrant to become a citizen, however Washington saw how the young nation needed fresh blood.
As well as showing international military power by building up the Army and Navy, in response to the “Atlantic War” 1798-1802, when revolutionary France, expected the United States to come to their aid in their unjustifiable war with Britain, whom had signed a peace treaty with the US in 1795 as well as demanding the debts of the previous government, to be paid to the French First Republic.
With numerous victorious battles at sea, territorial gains from French Louisiana and a pledge to protect America’s trade routes, Georgie was able to win a decisive victory in the 1800 Presidential Election against Thomas Jefferson and Aaron Burr, who both split the DR vote.
The army improvements were carried out by his father, George Washington, who had grown restless in retirement and enjoyed the challenge and was happy to retire along with his son on March 4, 1805 and died peacefully in his sleep aged 77 in 1809. Similar to his father, Georgie stood down, declaring not to run for a third term, he would not however see the end of the year; for a few months out of retirement, the 45 year old, died from tuberculosis.

George A Washington.png

This is in no way means to be sexist, its just taking on the fact that the generic gender of western political officers holders in the past have been male.

Why do Americans presume George III was their oppressor? He had some sway over the appointment of Governments, but the choice of the Commons would generally prevail; he didn't veto any Bills passed by Parliament (no monarch had since 1707). Your beef was with a Parliament passing bills that had been elected on a limited franchise but still more representative than almost any legislative assembly in the world.

Come back into the Commonwealth, get a Governor General, 50 Governors in the states, 50 state Premiers, Parliamentary systems, and work on the lines of Canada, you'll see the Crown causes you no problems. Even Ozzies grumpy at 1975 realise the Queen is a poppet and a pet and no problem at all.
I find it quite ironic that even though that despite No taxation without representation, many people were ineligible to vote for decades and even centuries to come. Even in the 21st century, the citizens of the District of Columbia are obliged to pay taxes, but are not allowed to be represented in Congress.

"Peter Sam said again and again,
his new funnel will put ours to shame.
Went into the tunnel
(And) lost his old funnel.
Now his famous new funnel's a drain!”

If this short melody wasn't clear, the next infobox in my Thomas infobox series is Mr. Special Funnel himself Peter Sam (formally Stuart)

This article is about the Skarloey Railway locomotive. For the former railway controller, see Mr Peter Sam.

Peter Sam Part 1.png

Peter Sam Part 2.png

Peter Sam, named after one of the Skarloey Railway's previous controller, Mr Peter Sam - originally known as Stuart, after his builder, Kerr Stuart - is a narrow gauge saddle tank engine. He formally worked on the former Mid Sodor Railway and the Peel Godred Aluminum Works and now currently works on the Skarloey Railway.

Bio
Stuart was built by Kerr Stuart & Co at their California Works in Stoke-on-Trent, England in 1920 to their standard industrial pattern. He was delivered by rail to Cronk and hauled from there to the Mid Sodor Railway's station at Peel Godred by traction engine [1]. Following a pattern of the MSR naming its engines after their builders, he was named "Stuart". As a result of the Mid Sodor Railway's decline in the following years after his arrival, Stuart was the last locomotive bought for the railway [2].

While living on the Mid Sodor Railway, he was cheeky and occasionally made fun of MSR #1 (now SKR #8) Duke until he and fellow MSR #3 Falcon (now SKR#3 Sir Handel) was told about what happened to their number two engines Smudger and Stanley [3][4]. In the late 1920s, he teased Duke because of his age and had to take him and his train to Arlesdale after the tender engine failed. Stuart received his comeuppance during the journey when Duke gave a tremendous effort in helping to pull the train. Stuart was embarrassed by the whole ordeal especially when a boy asked why two engines were working together, to which his father replied that Stuart needed assistance and so Duke came to help [5].

By 1936, he Falcon and Duke were the only three remaining engines on the railway after three other locomotives were sold off to keep the company's head above water [6]. All three engines would continue working the railway for 11 years until the railway closed down in 1947 [7]. Stuart and Falcon were sold to the Sodor Aluminium Company at Peel Godred for an expansion project. Following the project's completion in 1951, they were oiled, greased and sheeted under tarpaulins ready for disposal and stood for a year in the Company's yard. In 1952, they were purchased for the knockdown price of £50 (£25 each) (equivalent to £791 in present-day terms) [8] by Sir Handel Lloyd Brown for service on the Skarloey Railway, overhauled at Crovan's Gate Works and renamed Peter Sam and Sir Handel respectively [9]. As a result of SKR #2 Rheneas being sent off for overhaul and with Skarloey doing the same shortly after their arrivals, Peter Sam and Sir Handel would be the only two engines (other than the Skarloey Railway's short lived original #5 The Weedwacker [10], who only saw about two years of service before being withdrawn, dismantled and turned into a flatbed) to manage the Skarloey Railway for six years between 1952 and until SKR #5 Rusty's arrival in 1958 [11].

Since arriving, Peter Sam has had many adventures. When he was new to the railway, he had a mishap with NWR #3 Henry who jokingly threatened to leave without Peter Sam's passengers if he was late. He left so quickly that he left the Refreshment Lady behind, who explained that Henry was only joking and that he has to wait, as he was a guaranteed connection [12]. One of his more notable events of his history involved his funnel, which was severely damaged after an accident at the incline of the former Skarloey Slate Quarry in 1958 with some slate trucks [13]. His boiler was also dented, though it was eventually repaired. His funnel, however, was never repaired properly and according to him, often felt wobbly as a result [14]. In the winter of 1961, the funnel was knocked-off by a large icicle as he passed through Rheneas Tunnel and it was temporarily replaced with a rusty drain pipe [15]. Peter Sam was soon given a new funnel, a Giesl ejector [16][17], which suits him much better and has improved his performance. As of 2020, Peter Sam still wears the Giesl ejector funnel proudly [18].

When the centenary of the Skarloey Railway's numbers 1 and 2 Skarloey and Rheneas' was to feature a duke to open a new part of the line of the railway, NWR #8 (formerly GWR/BR #5741) Duck told Peter Sam that all Dukes were scrapped [19], causing Peter Sam to fear that the centenary would be ruined. It was not until the real Duke of Sodor came to open the new Lakeside Loop Line that proved him wrong, although Peter Sam was left disappointed as it was not the Duke he and Sir Handel knew. Their Duke was later discovered and brought to their railway in 1969 [20].

In 1982, Peter Sam, not wanting to miss NWR #5 James' train, damaged his valve gear after he recklessly ploughed through some branches, which got caught in it. Although the passengers and the guard managed to cut him out, his front was left sore for several days [21]. The result of this would later lead to the Thin Controller ordering a major cleanup of the railway of branches, leaves and debris. Peter Sam would work alongside SKR #5 Rusty, SKR #1 Skarloey and SKR #6 Duncan (but would mostly work together with Rusty) to clear debris from the line. One incident, however, in which one of his trucks couplings snapped and caused all the other trucks on his train to fall of the Old Iron Bridge and fall into the muddy waters of the swamp below it and later had to be fished out. Peter Sam and his crew were blamed for the accident and were orders to shunt trucks in the yards of the Boulder Quarry until they could be trusted again, though they would be forgiven shortly afterwards. [22]

From 1988 to 1996, Peter Sam visited the Talyllyn Railway in Wales. During his visit, he took on bad water and when he got to the station, it sprayed white sludge out of his funnel. Unfortunately for him, he had to stay in a siding while Talyllyn took his train, as the visitors wanted to see him. He soon learned that the water used on the Talyllyn Railway had a special powder that was used to enhance its flavor and too much of it was used. Peter Sam was soon cleaned and when he got back home in 1996, he told his story to two young volunteers named Kathy and Lizzie, who found the story very funny. Shortly afterwards, Peter Sam would attend the naming ceremony of SKR #7 Ivo Hugh [23].

As of 2020, Peter Sam is still working on the Skarloey Railway, often taking passengers to tourist points on the line and working at the Slate Quarries.

Photos
Duke&Stuart.png

A photo of Peter Sam (then known as Stuart) and MSR #1 (now SKR#8) Duke taken sometime during the late 1920s.

PeterSamaccident1.png

Peter Sam shortly after his accident at the former Skarloey Slate Quarry in 1958. SKR #5 Rusty can be seen in the background arriving to help out with the rescue operation.

PeterSamaccident2.png

Workmen working on and cleaning Peter Sam at the main Skarloey Railway engine sheds at Crovan's Gate in shortly after his accident in 1958. SKR #3 Sir Handel can be seen to the right (viewers left) of him.

Crovan's_Gate_Ensemble_1995.jpg

A picture of all the Skarloey Railway steam locomotives taken in 1970. From left to right and front to back: SKR #6 Duncan, SKR #1 Skarloey, SKR #3 and former MSR #3 Sir Handel, SKR#4 and former MSR #4 Peter Sam, SKR#8 and former MSR #1 Duke and SKR #2 Rheneas.

NGEngines2.jpg

A photo of all the engines of the Skarloey Railway fleet taken in 1970. From left to right and back to front, SKR #5 Rusty, SKR#1 Skarloey, SKR#3 and former MSR #3 Sir Handel, SKR #2 Rheneas, SKR#6 Duncan, SKR#4 and former MSR #4 Peter Sam and SKR#8 and former MSR #1 Duke.

RustyBQ1.png

Peter Sam at the former Boulder Quarry in fall 1982. Alongside him are SKR #5 Rusty (left) and SKR #6 Duncan.

Notes
[1]:
I don't think that traction engine was Trevor.
[2]: Just a guess. With the Mid Sodor Railway beginning its decline in the later part of the 1920s, I highly doubt they will be purchasing any engines after that due to the lack of money.
[3]: Thomas & Friends Season/Series 4 Episode 1 Granpuff, Neither Peter Sam/Stuart or Sir Handel/Falcon know anything about Smudger until Duke tells them about him, meaning that Smudger was turned into a generator before either of them arrived on the Mid Sodor Railway.
[4]: Smudger replaces Stanley (who was only referred to simply as "#2") from The Railway Series Book 25: Duke the Lost Engine (1970). My continuity plans on having both Stanley and Smudger exist, with Stuart and Falcon and Stuart already knowing about Stanley beforehand (given that he arrived in the late 1910s shortly before Stuart came), they just don't know what eventually happened to him later on until Duke tells them that he got turned into a pumping engine.
[5]: The Railway Series Book 25: Duke the Lost Engine Story 3: You Can't Win (1970), Thomas & Friends Season/Series 4 Episode 4 You Can't Win (1995) and the black and white photo of angry Stuart and happy Duke.
[6]: According to The Island of Sodor: Its People, History and Railways (1987), there were six locomotives working on the Mid Sodor Railway in 1936 (Duke, Stuart, Falcon, Albert, Jim and Tim). However, it mentions that Albert, Jim and Tim were sold off to prevent the railway from going bankrupt.
[7]: The Railway Series Book 25: Duke the Lost Engine Story 1: Granpuff (1970) and Thomas & Friends Season/Series 4 Episode 1 Granpuff (1995), The Mid Sodor Railway is shown closing down with Falcon and Stuart being bought and Duke being put under a tarp and put into his shed.
[8]: £50 (in 1947 British money) for two narrow gauge steam locomotives seems like a pretty good deal to me! ;)
[9]: The Railway Series Book 10: Four Little Engines (1955) and Thomas & Friends Season/Series 4 Episode 6 A Bad Day For Sir Handel (1995), Sir Handel and Peter Sam are shown arriving on the Skarloey Railway.
[10]: The Weedwacker is an original creation of mine, serving as the Skarloey Railway's original #5 for a two year period. He/it was based on the Talyllyn Railway's original #5 "The Lawnmower", which was built in 1952 using a Ford Model T engine and transmission from L.T.C Rolt's narrowboat and the wheels from a Talyllyn Railway slate wagon. It worked the Fridays-only winter passenger service until 1953, when it was taken out of use with a failed gearbox. It was dismantled in 1954 and converted to a flat wagon. The Weedwacker follows a similar history.
[11]: Between Rheneas and Skarloey heading off for their overhauls in 1952 (The Railway Series Book 10: Four Little Engines (1955) ) and Rusty arriving on the railway in 1958 shortly before Skarloey came back (The Railway Series Book 14: The Little Old Engine (1959)), Sir Handel and Peter Sam were likely the only engines to work on the line for that six year period.
[12]: The Railway Series Book 10: Four Little Engines Story 3: Peter Sam and the Refreshment Lady (1955) and Thomas & Friends Season/Series 4 Episode 7 Peter Sam and the Refreshment Lady (1995), Henry threatens to leave Peter Sam's passengers behind if he is late with them again. The Refreshment Lady later tells Peter Sam that Henry was only teasing him and he can't leave without his passengers since he's a "guaranteed connection".
[13]:
In The Railway Series Book 14: The Little Old Engine Story 1: Trucks! (1959) and Thomas & Friends Season/Series 4 Episode 8 Trucks/Rusty Helps Peter Sam (1995), Sir Handel pretends to be ill after Gordon talks him into it. This later leads to Peter Sam's accident that damages his funnel and boiler as mentioned above.
[14]: This explains why Peter Sam would eventually lose his funnel three years after his accident.
[15]: In The Railway Series Book 17: Gallant Old Engine Story 1: Special Funnel (1962) and Thomas & Friends Season/Series 4 Episode 11 Special Funnel (1995), as a result of the lose funnel, it falls off Peter Sam after it hits an icicle and somehow gets completely lost. Peter Sam's fireman shortly afterwards finds a rusty drain pipe and him and his driver fasten it to him as with wires to prevent it from falling off or falling into Peter Sam's firebox.
[16]: Ibid: Peter Sam has no funnel in the Railway Series story and a temporary small funnel in the TV series after the drainpipe funnel but before receiving the Giesl ejector. [17]: I should note that Peter Sam has always worn the Giesl ejector since Special Funnel in the Railway Series. However, in the TV series, the funnel he receives is a simple rectangular box that is simply placed over the old funnel. Both his small scale model that was used in Seasons/Series 4, 5 and 9 and the large scale model used from Seasons/Series 5-12 have the box funnel. Peter Sam wouldn't gain the proper Giesl ejector until he first appeared in CGI in the Thomas & Friends special Blue Mountain Mystery (2012).
[18]: Peter Sam's twin locomotive and basis Edward Thomas of the Talyllyn Railway would in real life wear a Giesl ejector funnel, though only for an 11 year period from 1958 to 1969 when it was removed. Peter Sam continues to wear his even 50+ year after his brother had his removed.
[19]: The Railway Series Book 20: Very Old Engines Story 4: Ducks and Dukes (1965), Duck though that Peter Sam was referring to the Great Western Dukes class (the GWR 3252 Class), which were all withdrawn and scrapped between 1929 and 1951. Peter Sam was referring to either the actual Duke of Sodor or the engine Duke he and Sir Handel knew on the former Mid Sodor Railway, though Sir Handel's reaction is never revealed.
[20]: The Railway Series Book 25: Duke the Lost Engine Story 4: Sleeping Beauty (1970), Thomas & Friends Season/Series 4 Episode 2 Sleeping Beauty (1995), Duke is rediscovered and is brought to the Skarloey Railway to be restored. Peter Sam and Sir Handel are reunited with him at the end of the story/episode.
[21]: The Railway Series Book 29: Great Little Engines Story 2: Peter Sam and the Prickly Problem (1985), Peter Sam gets branches jammed in his valve gear due to Rusty not having enough time to pick them up after the workmen trim some bushes.
[22]: Thomas & Friends Season/Series 5 Episode 24: Duncan Gets Spooked: Peter Sam, Rusty, Duncan and Skarloey are seen at the beginning of the episode clearing the railway of leaves and broken branches with Peter Sam and Rusty working together. Shortly afterwards, a coupling on one of Peter Sam's trucks snaps and causes the entire train to roll along the line until they all fall off the Old Iron Bridge into the swamp below. Sir Topham Hatt (replaced by the Thin Controller in this situation) blames Peter Sam and his crew for the incident and he orders him to shunt trucks in the yard until he can trust him again.
[23]: The Railway Series Book 40: New Little Engine (1996), in the third story Dirty Water, Peter Sam tells two young holidaymakers Kathy and Lizzie a story about his water incident on the Talyllyn Railway. In the fourth story I Name This Engine..., Peter Sam attends the naming ceremony of Ivo Hugh with the other engines.

Thomas infoboxes:
North Western Railway

NWR #1 Thomas

Skarloey Railway
SKR #1 Skarloey
SKR #2 Rheneas
SKR #3/Former MSR #3 Sir Handel (formerly Falcon)
SKR #4/Former MSR #4 Peter Sam (formerly Stuart) (you are here)

Other things
Fletcher, Jennings and Co.

Last edited:
winston.png

Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill was an American politician who was a eight-term United States Senator (1909–1927 and 1938–1965) from New York. He also served as the 50th United States Secretary of the Treasury under President Herbert Hoover and was President pro tempore of the United States Senate from 1953 to 1955.

Of mixed American and English parentage, Churchill was born in Brooklyn to a wealthy family. He joined the United States Army in 1893. Elected a representative in 1900, he was elected to the United States Senate in 1908. Churchill served as Chairman of the United States Senate Committee on Military Affairs from 1919 to 1927. During his early years in the Senate, Churchill championed prison reform and workers' social security. Churchill lost his seat in 1926.

President Herbert Hoover appointed Churchill as Secretary of the Treasury on 5 March 1929. Churchill intended to pursue his free trade principles in the form of laissez-faire economics and social reforms. Churchill's national reputation collapsed following the Wall Street Crash of 1929 and the onset of the Great Depression. Churchill participated in various efforts by the Hoover administration to revive the economy and maintain the international economic order, but he opposed direct government intervention in the economy. Churchill returned to private life after Hoover's defeat in the 1932 presidential election by Franklin D. Roosevelt. In 1937, Churchill helped establish the National Gallery of Art, a national art museum. His philanthropic efforts also played a major role in the later establishment of Carnegie Mellon University and the National Portrait Gallery.

Churchill returned to the Senate in 1938 after winning a special election. During the late 1930s, Churchill supported the United States' becoming involved in World War II. He became chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee in 1947 and supported Democratic President Harry Truman's Cold War policies. Churchill also served as the Chairman of the Republican Senate Conference from 1945 to 1953 and as the president pro tempore of the Senate from 1953 to 1955. He voted in favor of the Civil Rights Acts of 1957, 1960, and 1964 as well as the 24th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution.
Churchill did not seek re-election in 1964, and died three weeks after leaving office.

@JCC the Alt Historian do you mean "formerly" rather than "formally"?
As in "previously" not "officially"?

Your right Professor. I also made the same mistake on the Sir Handel infobox. I'm not going to change it though since it doesn't really matter and is just one tiny mistake.

Wikipedia right now is purging, redirecting and outright deleting Thomas & Friends articles left and right like there's no tomorrow! I guess a lot of those articles have needed maintenance and more sources for years now, and nothing was really done about it. I guess 2020 is the year of the Thomas Wikipedia purge.

Rusty's Wikipedia article was outright deleted yesterday or the day before, Peter Sam's was redirect, and freaking Gordon (who might be my next infobox as a result) is threatened with deletion despite being one of the main characters.

ThirdPolishRepublicOsterWorld.png

The Republic of Poland, commonly referred to simply as Poland, is a country in Central and Eastern Europe. Spanning an area of 388,634 km2, it rests between the Baltic Sea in the north and the Carpathian Mountains in the south. Bordering German East Prussia, Lithuania and Latvia in the north, Mainland Germany in the west, Czechoslovakia and Romania in the south, and the Russian Federation in the east, Poland's location at the nexus of the Eastern European and Central European plain has had a major impact on its history and development.

Inhabited first by Germanic and then Slavic tribes, Poland first emerged as a recognizably distinct political entity in the 10th century. After losing Silesia and Pomerania in the west, Poland turned east, merging Ruthenian Galicia and forging a union with Lithuania that formed one of Europe's great powers in the 16th and 17th centuries. Partitioned between Prussia, Austria, and Russia in a series of 3 partitions in the late 18th century, Poland emerged once more as an independent nation at the conclusion of the Great War. Despite initial concerns over the survivability of the new state, the Treaty of Versailles in the west and the smashing success against Bolshevik armies in the east allowed Poland to survive and shaped the present day boundaries of the nation. Following a few fragile years of democracy, the May Coup in 1926 saw the beginning of Sanation-led authoritarian rule that would last until the People's Spring in 1974. Forging close ties with the new democratic regime in Germany, which officially dropped irredentist claims in the 1982 Treaty of Breslau, Poland became integrated into the Central European economic sphere and saw a period of rapid economic development. With the Fall of Communism and the collapse of the Soviet Union in 1996, Poland was one of the first nations to offer diplomatic recognition to the new Russian Federation and other breakaway states.

Today, Poland is a unitary semi-presidential state, led by a president and prime minister. Home to nearly 67 million inhabitants of over a dozen ethnicities, it is the third-most populous European nation after Russia and Germany and an example of successful multiculturalism in modern Europe. Warsaw is both the capital of Poland and its largest city, and additionally serves as one of the major financial centres of Europe, a home to the regional headquarters of numerous corporations.

As major power with one of the world's largest economies, Poland is a member of the G20, G15, and a leading power in the Council of Europe. A global leader in the chemical industry, Poland is also home to several world famous universities, and the nation as a whole provides a very high standard of living, with a generous welfare state, prodigious environmental protections such as the Polesie Reserve, and Polish citizens enjoy visa-free travel to nearly every developed nation. With a long history and numerous cultural and natural sites, Poland also ranks as the 6th most visited nation in Europe.

Status
Not open for further replies.