What is the most dystopian AH work ever created?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we’re going by just literature, then I’d say Man In The High Castle (cliche choice but still), Bring the Jubilee (if you’re not descended from citizens of the CSA as of its founding), and Settling Accounts (multiple concurrent genocides, full-out Nuclear war, and lack of freedom almost anywhere on the planet at the end).

Another vote for The Ultimate Solution.
It's not really alternate history. It doesn't even count as ASB, given that it has literally nothing to do with history whatsoever. It's like writing a story where Napoleon beats England and 20 years later kittens are being roasted alive on sticks in Trafalgar Square.
If we’re going by just literature, then I’d say Man In The High Castle (cliche choice but still), Bring the Jubilee (if you’re not descended from citizens of the CSA as of its founding), and Settling Accounts (multiple concurrent genocides, full-out Nuclear war, and lack of freedom almost anywhere on the planet at the end).
Life in MitHC isn't too bad for, say, your average Frenchman or American.

It's not really alternate history. It doesn't even count as ASB, given that it has literally nothing to do with history whatsoever. It's like writing a story where Napoleon beats England and 20 years later kittens are being roasted alive on sticks in Trafalgar Square.
Well, I’m sorry you feel that way but it IS alternate history. You may not like the novel itself or that classification, but it’s taking place in a world where the Axis triumphed in the war and the world is fundamentally different as a result.

If story bases to world where some event on past has gone differently from OTL it is alternate history. By that logic you could say that The Fatherland is not alternate history because its events happen something like 20 years after POD.

If story bases to world where some event on past has gone differently from OTL it is alternate history. By that logic you could say that The Fatherland is not alternate history because its events happen something like 20 years after POD.

Well, that's debatable. I read the synopsis of the Ultimate Solution. It reads like a dark parody of our world, and not the good kind. The Nazis are presented as being one-dimensional, malevolent drones and the society presented is ridiculous in how overly dark it is. Case in point....

Blacks and Slavs being raised at "laboratories" and "farms" where their vocal cords are cut at birth and having the legal status not of slaves but of "domestic animals"; naked Black gladiators fighting to the death at the Madison Square Garden (the Roman "thumbs up" or "down" are modernised into green and red buttons, with a computer making the tally and automatically electrocuting the losing gladiator); children being encouraged by TV programs to torture and kill animals; policemen routinely carrying mobile torture kits for "on the spot interrogations" and having the power of extrajudicial execution against "Enemies of the Reich"; body parts of murdered Jews on sale at souvenir shops, with "collectors" trying to have "a complete collection" of samples from all extermination camps;

Well, that's debatable. I read the synopsis of the Ultimate Solution. It reads like a dark parody of our world, and not the good kind. The Nazis are presented as being one-dimensional, malevolent drones and the society presented is ridiculous in how overly dark it is. Case in point....

Ok. That sounds bit stretched even for Nazis. Some of them are not totally impossible and might be plausible but speciality these animal torturing things seems bit odd. Slaves are not unbelieveable when Nazis had such plans in OTL but description seems partially bit stretched.

Ok. That sounds bit stretched even for Nazis. Some of them are not totally impossible and might be plausible but speciality these animal torturing things seems bit odd. Slaves are not unbelieveable when Nazis had such plans in OTL but description seems partially bit stretched.

Teaching kids to torture animals is antithetical to what the Nazis were like IRL. Under the Nazis, Germany instituted strict animal conservation laws, laws that were so strict that a fisherman was sent to a concentration camp for the crime of cutting up a bait frog. Of course, Goering's reputation as a hunter is well-known, which is why the Reich didn't outlaw animal hunting in favour of just restricting some of the practices involved in hunting.

And I doubt the Nazis were planning to bring back gladiatorial combat.

Teaching kids to torture animals is antithetical to what the Nazis were like IRL. Under the Nazis, Germany instituted strict animal conservation laws, laws that were so strict that a fisherman was sent to a concentration camp for the crime of cutting up a bait frog. Of course, Goering's reputation as a hunter is well-known, which is why the Reich didn't outlaw animal hunting in favour of just restricting some of the practices involved in hunting.

And I doubt the Nazis were planning to bring back gladiatorial combat.
The novel also depicts the Nazis as so flamingly homosexual that they decorate their homes with posters of attractive athletes with giant erections, and they're also big fans of hurtcore pedophile brothels where little girls are sent by their parents so sadistic pedos can torture them with whips and giant dildos.

The bit in The Time Ships by Stephen Baxter about the alternate 1930s Britain where World War I never ended. It's very obviously riffing off of Wells' The Shape of Things to Come (the book itself is a sequel to The Time Machine), and seems to be really playing into the bit in that book where Wells mentions that Nazi Germany and Fascist Italy presaged aspects of the Modern State (The Shape of Things to Come was written in the mid-1930s, before fascism became the dirty word it is now). It's incredibly vivid to me months after reading it.

The novel also depicts the Nazis as so flamingly homosexual that they decorate their homes with posters of attractive athletes with giant erections, and they're also big fans of hurtcore pedophile brothels where little girls are sent by their parents so sadistic pedos can torture them with whips and giant dildos.

Did author know anything about Nazis? They were deeply homophobic even by sandards of 1930's. These descriptions are such things that if the books would had sent to Hitler he would had been enraged.

Did author know anything about Nazis? They were deeply homophobic even by sandards of 1930's. These descriptions are such things that if the books would had sent to Hitler he would had been enraged.
From the description you might get the idea that the author (a Playboy journalist who did an interview with Albert Speer of all people) was a homophobe, but from the way the novel is written, you don't really get that impression.

For the record, here's a typical excerpt from this novel (NSFW):

I wasn’t particularly interested in the proceedings at Lotte’s but I walked up and looked over her shoulder. The room was outfitted like a child’s playroom, replete with a large dollhouse, shelves of stuffed animals, a miniature fourposter bed replete with canopy and an assortment of toys. A ribbon-festooned swing was suspended from the ceiling and a little pigtailed girl of eight or nine was riding it, dressed in a frilly pinafore frock, white socks and shiny patent leather shoes. She was swinging furiously, traversing the length of the room with each arc, and a skinny guy wearing nothing but his socks was whipping her hard each time she passed him. He was laughing a lot and seemed to be enjoying himself, although there wasn’t much of an erection to show for his labors. The kid didn’t look too happy though. She was screaming all the time and the back of her white dress was soaked red with blood. I turned around to Lotte.

“So?’’

“So he pays four thousand marks per session, and could get ten times that if I had some Slavs. We got a house doctor here, he says all the kid can stand is an hour, and she’s not good for a week after that, we have to dope her up and keep her in bed. And on top of that the client is frustrated because he can’t let himself go all the way. He gets his real jollies beating them half to death and then strangling them at the end, the only way he can get it up. We have a lot like that, the Giles de Rais syndrome the doc calls it, whatever that is. But apart from the non-mortality clause in the kid’s contract I can’t throw her away in a one-night stand, she’s got another ten years of earning power between her legs. So I’m screwed. I’m only getting half my potential fee from
clients like him.”

“Look Lotte, I sympathize with your business prob- :
lems, but. ...”

“You’re going to be more than sympathetic, you’re
going to do something about them, if you want to talk
with Penny.”

So that was it.

“If your protection’s off I’ll check with the precinct. . .”

“No, no, it’s not that. What I need is Slavs, expendables, at least a half dozen a month, boys and girls between one and fourteen. I can get up to thirty thousand for one session adds up to almost two hundred thousand a month. I’ll cut you in for ten percent, plus whatever information you can get out of Penny, so long as you fix it with the breeders.”

Last edited:
I'm Amazed there's not more discussion on For All Time, it's pretty Grimdark, but I'd agree Draka is probably worse (maybe)

Status
Not open for further replies.