Affiliated States of Boreoamerica thread

You're right, just about the only consistent thing so far is a POD of 1600, and personally I'm not very willing to change that. The rest of the world could quickly turn into a free-for-all. But 1600 is still well before any colonization. Is there any way to effect a change that would protect parts of aboriginal culture given ~150 years to play with?
To preface, I am by no means an expert on Aboriginal history, or really Australian history in general. That said, the only way I can see a stronger Aboriginal culture emerging independently is through agriculture, which poses two issues with a POD of 1600. First off, it takes a long time for crop domestication to take place when starting from scratch, much longer than the period between 1600 and the beginning of European contact. The second, and much more important in my opinion, issue is that of what crops are available to the Aboriginals. Now, there are actually crops that have emerged from Australia, however these were all developed following European contact by societies who already had an agricultural background. You need founder crops with the appropriate characteristics to kick start agriculture, which are much rarer than regular domesticable plants and nonexistent in Australia, hence why the Aboriginals remained in a hunter-gatherer (or at most hunter-gardener) state all the way until European contact.

Now, there are some things we could do to advance Australia somewhat before European contact, however they don't directly involve the Aboriginals. The easiest thing that could be done would be to increase contact between the Aboriginals and Makassar people of Indonesia; historians say that this began around 1720, however there are also those who date the beginning of this intermittent contact to as early as 1640 or even the 1500s. Increasing this contact could lead to some interesting cultural developments in Australia; in particular, as the Makassar were predominantly Islamic, we could see Islam spread to parts of northern and western Australia, both through adoption by Aboriginal tribes and settlement from Indonesia. It is also likely that new Makassar-dominant states would be founded in Australia over time, and this influx of people from Indonesia could also spread technology and agriculture. While I'm personally still partial towards having independent Aboriginal civilizations, I also find this to be a fascinating idea that could be expanded upon.

The main other source of pre-European contact I can think of would be from Polynesia. It honestly confuses me how Polynesians didn't reach Australia given everywhere else they managed to sail to. I could easily see a group of Polynesian wayfarers making landfall in eastern Australia and expanding from there, creating something of a Polynesian civilization in Australia. In this scenario I would largely see the Polynesians pushing out the Aboriginals, however I could see some technology and culture diffusing from the Polynesians to the Aboriginals.

However, while either of these scenarios could work (and I'm partial towards having the Makassar increase contact with Australia), I still think that the best way to preserve Aboriginal culture would be to have an earlier POD and have them develop agriculture. With these PODs, you may be able to get more advanced Aboriginals, however I feel that they would largely be subsumed into either culture rather than developing something independent. As Australia was largely self-contained and would likely remain so even with more advanced states forming, I don't see an earlier POD there really impacting the rest of the world up to 1600, and I think having such a POD would benefit the setting as it would allow for greater cooperation between the Aboriginal nations and European powers (as well as potential Makassar states) in the same vein as the ASB. I of course understand your own perspective as well, and the final decision is yours seeing as, again, this is your project, but I just wanted to express my own view on the matter.

Snip snip Makassar Australia snip snip
1776 alt australia.png

Take this map of potential Makassar states (Kayu Jawa, in OTL Kimberley, and Marege, in OTL Arnhem Land) and Makassar and Maori influence zones.

What if Queiros's expedition manages to definitively discover Australia and leads to semi-regular trade contact between indigenous Australians and the Spanish viceroyalties in New Spain and Peru? Could this be a way of getting some exposure to European diseases and trade goods to indigenous Australians before the Dutch/French/English/etc. start showing up in force?

1591573967761.png

I went ahead and updated the map with Italy's new colonial empire using @Griffin04 's map, which I thought was a lot more plausible given Italy's history ITTL. While not colonized by Italy, I also went ahead and kept Ethiopia and Somalia from the first map I made. I don't have too in-depth of a description for each country, but the Empire of Ethiopia is a parliamentary constitutional monarchy led by the Solomonic dynasty, with representation from Ethiopia's various minority groups and religious groups in government. The Republic of Somalia on the other hand is a constitutional republic with more nationalist tendencies and very strong Sufi influence, with Sufi leaders playing an influential role in keeping Somalia free from colonial rule. While traditionally more isolationist, Somalia has begun to open up to the rest of the world, and is among the more influential trading powers of the Indian Ocean.

Another idea I had was a Catholic Kingdom of Kongo surviving and becoming dominant, maintaining traditional culture but also incorporating Portuguese influences, but I wasn't sure how I wanted to go about mapping it (mainly the size of Kongo). I'm also not sure how happy I am about Libya, so I'd appreciate some commentary there.

Another idea I had was a Catholic Kingdom of Kongo surviving and becoming dominant, maintaining traditional culture but also incorporating Portuguese influences, but I wasn't sure how I wanted to go about mapping it (mainly the size of Kongo). I'm also not sure how happy I am about Libya, so I'd appreciate some commentary there.
Maybe otm Kingdom of Kongo with more portions of otl Gabon.

Sorry I'm not up to speed with the Oceania content. That's not what this post is.

Instead I have the pleasure of announcing that I finally, after something like 6 months, have access to my ancient desktop computer with all the Doomsday content. That sort of means I can see my maps again. There are some limitations... the move was not kind to the old girl. The older-still monitor seems to be on the verge of giving up the ghost, and I can't connect to the Internet, meaning that I'm moving files around via flash drive like it's 2005 again. But still it's something. @Gian , I had completely forgotten that I finished a map of Allegheny's regions. (Apologies for the slanted words, I made it on the conic projection basemap and then tilted it so that north is up.) This also means I'll be able to start making contributions to the Gazetteer, at long last.

Allegheny's regions date originally to the 1820s, shortly after the creation of its state government in 1817. The construction of new roads and influx of newcomers called for an intermediate level of government between the villages and the state. Their borders were drawn mostly along mountain ridges and designed to enclose coherent areas of administration. They do not follow cultural and language boundaries as a general rule, except where these happen to coincide. Few regions are culturally homogenous.; those that are tend to be near the borders. (Headwater, Morgan, Gehoka, and Wilinc are mostly populated by Virginian English; Tioga and Conewango are Iroquois, mostly Seneca.) Allegheny remains a tossed salad of language groups: its major languages are French, English, and Iroquois; in some places can also be heard Dutch, German and Shawnee. Nevertheless, all these people share a common sense of their mountain culture.

ALLEGHENY COUNTIES.jpg

A video popped up in my YouTube sugestiones that had a very familiar looking map in the thumbnail image...
Can’t seem to locate any mention in the audio or writing anywhere of permission to use it, or even credit given to our benevolent @False Dmitri!

A video popped up in my YouTube sugestiones that had a very familiar looking map in the thumbnail image...
Can’t seem to locate any mention in the audio or writing anywhere of permission to use it, or even credit given to our benevolent @False Dmitri!

If I had to guess, they likely just Googled a map of New Sweden and they grabbed the first thing they saw. It happens all of the time on Geography Now. There are a lot of videos of theirs where alternate history maps pop up.

If I had to guess, they likely just Googled a map of New Sweden and they grabbed the first thing they saw. It happens all of the time on Geography Now. There are a lot of videos of theirs where alternate history maps pop up.
Oh I agree about why it happened, they still should have asked permission to use it, or at least credit FD

I have added some stuff to the worldA. Here are the changes which are probably not going to be controversial :
ASBworld1crop.png

Firstly, I added Darien-Caledonia (a dominion of Scotland) and Nueva Grenada. The existances of both of these seem to have been agreed upon, but they were never added to the map. To complete the Americas (except the Chilean pacific islands and Greenland), I made Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao remain Dutch and the Galapagos islands Peruvian.
Secondly, I made the Madeiras and Azores portugese because there was no reason not to. I also made Sao Tome, Principe and Annobon portugese.
Thirdly, I added 7 countries in west-central Africa. The description given for the Kingdom of Kongo above (RoC+southern Gabon) did not match the actual Kingdom of Kongo, I added both a kingdom of Loango (which fits with the description much better) as well as a kingdom of Kongo in its historical location. Since it was supposed to be portuguese-influenced, I added a formerly portugese Angola as well. I also threw in a former European colony between the two. I also put in a republic in Gabon (which is still closely associated with France), a reduced Cameroon (to fill space) and Fernando Po (because why not).
Fourthly, I added Greece, Albania and Montenegro in Europe, because there is no other logical way to arrange the southwestern Balkans considering the previously confirmed borders.
Fifthly, I added Egypt and Darfur.

Last edited:
Looks nice! Stick in a big Hungary and we can call Europe too.

1. I am deliberately leaving that area open because it, more than anywhere else, depends on what happened during WW1. Putting anything there more or less forces a specific set-up and outcome for WW1, and putting in a derphueg space-filling Hungary(-Croatia-Slovenia-Slovakia-Transcarpathia) just seems wrong for this setting.
2. MALTA (and Iceland)

Last edited:

Ha!! It actually gets better... That video's Knights of Malta section (second-last, just before Sweden) consists almost entirely of quotes from the Wikipedia page, which as it happens, I wrote. So the video plagiarizes me twice. Mm, feels good.

I'm not personally upset, I feel like one of the Fundamental Laws of the Internet is that everything worth stealing will be stolen. (And the Fundamental Law of Online AH is that given enough time, all content will be stolen and presented as fact.) But this doesn't make me feel particularly confident in the creator of that video.

Ha!! It actually gets better... That video's Knights of Malta section (second-last, just before Sweden) consists almost entirely of quotes from the Wikipedia page, which as it happens, I wrote. So the video plagiarizes me twice. Mm, feels good.

I'm not personally upset, I feel like one of the Fundamental Laws of the Internet is that everything worth stealing will be stolen. (And the Fundamental Law of Online AH is that given enough time, all content will be stolen and presented as fact.) But this doesn't make me feel particularly confident in the creator of that video.
BTW, what do you think of my additions to the map?

Here is my idea on some of Australia and Indonesia (featuring a Nusantaran union that includes a portuguese dominion), the Dutch dominions of New Holland and East Nusa Tenggara, the French dominions of Terresud and *Tasmania, an Italian dominion (or part of it), the native states from above independent after Dutch decolonisation, and a couple of other countries I don't really have concrete ideas about)
ASBaustralia3.png

Last edited:
I have looked at Upvoteanthology’s West Africa map and some stuff there are cringeworthy.

Libertina? Really?
Ghana in the exact same wrong place as OTL?
Serer Sine in absolutely the wrong place (the Serere live in SENEGAMBIA IOTL, not eastern Mali)
Two states named “Fulfude” (that’s a language)
EDIT : Also, Abuja was a minor town named Sujeja until the 1970s, Benin is in the area of the map labeled “Edo” and not the one labeled Benin
I recommend renaming “Lower Ghana” to Asanteman, “Lower Fulfude” to Futa Toro, "Serer Sine" to Gao, “Upper Fulfude” to Songhai, “Benin” to Igboland, “Inland Nigeria” to Benue and “Libertina” to Saroland or Kruland or some variant of that. Oh, and merge Abuja into Inland Nigeria/Benue or rename it something else (Jebba?)

Last edited: