28 Days Later - Death of a Nation

MaxGerke01

Banned
I have to say that considering how badly the current pandemic has been handled by the US and the UK the terrible job they did with the Rage Virus seems more realistic in retrospect. If they did such a bad job with Corona Virus imagine how badly they would handle something as virulent as the Rage Virus even with slightly better leadership at the time....

MaxGerke01

Banned
The irony here is that once (if) things were brought under control and mostly back to normal Britain would be in relatively good shape -at least physically. If Im remembering right only Manchester and a section of London have been physically destroyed. Most of it is just sitting there waiting to be reclaimed. Which makes one wonder if after what happened at the Isle of Dogs others try to make their way into the country -to establish a claim as it were?

The irony here is that once (if) things were brought under control and mostly back to normal Britain would be in relatively good shape -at least physically. If Im remembering right only Manchester and a section of London have been physically destroyed. Most of it is just sitting there waiting to be reclaimed. Which makes one wonder if after what happened at the Isle of Dogs others try to make their way into the country -to establish a claim as it were?
Hopefully NATO will have learned its lesson about bringing in civilians before making sure the country is clear. This time they won't take any chances. Hopefully.

I have to say that considering how badly the current pandemic has been handled by the US and the UK the terrible job they did with the Rage Virus seems more realistic in retrospect. If they did such a bad job with Corona Virus imagine how badly they would handle something as virulent as the Rage Virus even with slightly better leadership at the time....
Believe it or not I think they would have done a much better job, chiefly because it's so visible there is no way anyone can play it down; it's not as if anyone would make "just a flu" comments and expect people to listen when a grandma-turned Infected pummels a grown-ass man to death on live television.

Marc A

Webp.net-compress-image (1).jpg

Found this on a website for movie props. This was in a US army command center in 28 weeks later. It shows that substantial areas of mainland Britain survived the outbreak, mostly the less densely populated areas such as Wales, the Scottish Highlands and the north of England. Large holdouts in Cornwall and the cities of the south coast of England too.

Interestingly enough there is a large survivor pocket in or around Cambridge north of London which in where the outbreak began.

Brilliantly written @kspence92, it’s a testament to how well you’ve crafted this story that this still ends up on the front page fairly regularly after nine years!

I really like the idea of the motorways becoming lightning rods for the infection. Given how densely populated so much of our country is, especially places like the midlands, there’s a real horror to how quickly it could spread after hitting a major population centre.

Is there anything from the timeline you’d write differently if you were doing it now?

Is there anything from the timeline you’d write differently if you were doing it now?
I've wondered that too, what would it be like if he wrote it for today. Especially since, now living in Prague and not the US like I did in the original timeline, I would be left with little recourse than to watch the horror creep ever closer to the Czech border.

I've wondered that too, what would it be like if he wrote it for today. Especially since, now living in Prague and not the US like I did in the original timeline, I would be left with little recourse than to watch the horror creep ever closer to the Czech border.
Ever since watching the first film I’ve felt like the best plan was to hide out instead of running away. Though I guess people don’t know that they only need to be hidden for six weeks.

Brilliantly written @kspence92, it’s a testament to how well you’ve crafted this story that this still ends up on the front page fairly regularly after nine years!

I really like the idea of the motorways becoming lightning rods for the infection. Given how densely populated so much of our country is, especially places like the midlands, there’s a real horror to how quickly it could spread after hitting a major population centre.

Looking back maybe some of the international stuff following the European outbreak I'd maybe do a bit differently as it was written before I had a more in depth knowledge of the geographical and political situation in parts of Europe then.

I am looking at the Rage virus and wondering what would have happened with an outbreak in the United States instead. (Assume from Ft. Detrick, an hour north of Washington DC).

While the US doesn't have the castles that the UK does, what we do have is *lots* of space. With the Rage Virus (unlike the WWZ infection) taking *seconds* to activate if fluids are passed, I expect that the US would lose most of the Northeast Urban Corridor, but that a defense line could be setup either at the Appalachians or the Mississippi river. And if it is from Fort Detrick, it won't be 28 days for the country to fall, 28 days of walking from Washington DC gets you to somewhere between Denver and Salt Lake City. You'd need another week or two for those walking to get to San Francisco (and that's if you walk straight!)

I am looking at the Rage virus and wondering what would have happened with an outbreak in the United States instead. (Assume from Ft. Detrick, an hour north of Washington DC).

While the US doesn't have the castles that the UK does, what we do have is *lots* of space. With the Rage Virus (unlike the WWZ infection) taking *seconds* to activate if fluids are passed, I expect that the US would lose most of the Northeast Urban Corridor, but that a defense line could be setup either at the Appalachians or the Mississippi river. And if it is from Fort Detrick, it won't be 28 days for the country to fall, 28 days of walking from Washington DC gets you to somewhere between Denver and Salt Lake City. You'd need another week or two for those walking to get to San Francisco (and that's if you walk straight!)
The U.S. is blessed with having a diverse geography plus the rage infected don't wander off that far. Once there is no stimuli, they just stay idle or walk into nearby locations, probably not even straying to the nearest town <30 miles away.

MaxGerke01

Banned
View attachment 599538

Found this on a website for movie props. This was in a US army command center in 28 weeks later. It shows that substantial areas of mainland Britain survived the outbreak, mostly the less densely populated areas such as Wales, the Scottish Highlands and the north of England. Large holdouts in Cornwall and the cities of the south coast of England too.

Interestingly enough there is a large survivor pocket in or around Cambridge north of London which in where the outbreak began.
This is an awesome find. I have wondered if there are gems from these movies like this lurking out there as there seemed to be an interest on the part of the film makers in building a world for their films....

Looking at the map again, getting Infected to the Outer Hebrides seems a hard sell. I don't see gibbering lunatics having the wherewithal to get to islands.

I reckon the virus would spread further and faster than has been suggested.

Some people, at least, are carriers and would carry it with them as they flee in vehicles, boats etc. People travelling with drugged up or restrained infected would spread it faster than walking pace. Until people get close Mailer was pretty docile when chained up.

Plus we don’t really know how long the virus can last in the open, but it must be sometime given how Frank was infected. If it can survive on a traffic poll for days, it can probably survive in blood on someone’s car or shirt. Worse, it might survive inside animals, and you’d get people in Europe infected by eating fish that have consumed some of the dead.

And just in terms of population movement. If everyone is fleeing from the cities and motorways, then low density areas are going to get flooded. In the first film I think Henry says the countryside is “teeming with infected”.

Last edited:
I reckon the virus would spread further and faster than has been suggested.

Some people, at least, are carriers and would carry it with them as they flee in vehicles, boats etc. People travelling with drugged up or restrained infected would spread it faster than walking pace. Until people get close Mailer was pretty docile when chained up.
28 Days Under A Long White Cloud - a Rage virus in New Zealand setting on this site somewhere (I'll look for the link) - has a husband tying up his wife, sticking her in a boat and bringing her from South Island to North Island. He is seeking a cure for her there. That was something I found very possible in any 28 Days Later type scenario, heck any virus lore.

The story: https://www.alternatehistory.com/fo...ite-cloud-the-outbreak-in-new-zealand.232833/

Last edited: