Medieval America Mark III

tehskyman

Banned
According to their site, getting to the doors is supposed to be a long and hard trek up the cliff side so the odds are good no one has stumbled upon it.

Mildly curious (as it's an area I have some connection with): I wonder what's going on with the San Juan Islands? Obviously, they are a part of the Cascadian, Eco-Buddhist cultural complex, but their central position between Seattle and Victoria could lead to some interesting possibilities (rampant smuggling would be my guess).

Let's hope not.

Who knows maybe some scholars from the East Coast will eventually visit it to research it's mechanisms. Admittedly the Southwest desert would be a pretty good place to preserve texts for future generations.

How is the state of clockwork in North America anyways?
Well the first mechanical clocks were around 1300 ad so I imagine their are a few timekeeping devices around

I suppose the more proper term would be "Nation" or ethnic group. Family being the highest level of Cowboy organization, then Tribe, then Clan.

So Cowboys go
Lowest: Family -> Tribe -> Clan: Highest?
Other way round, a Family being the agglomerations of many tribes (usually driven in large part or wholly by a single clan, hence the name), a Tribe being an agglomeration of many Clans, and a Clan being an extended kinship group.

Lowest: Clan - > Tribe - > Family: Highest

White only ever refers to Families, I believe, but these are always of massive civilization destroying type - the Jaegers, the Dabneys, the Baileys (the Andersons and the Rizzinis being coinages of prior threads), so these ought to be the largest group, the equivalent of your Ghengisid Khanates. Clans would be ruled by Chiefs or Sheriffs, Tribes by Great Chiefs or Judges, Families by any number of honorifics, the ones we've used the most being Colonel and High Judge.

I guess technically agglomerations without a dominant clan could be called "Confederacies", but over time "Family" may just come to encompass all sufficiently large Cowboy agglomerations.

Considering California used to be Spanish/Mexican territory I could honestly see the New World "Pope" using it as an excuse to declare a crusade. Officially to reclaim sacred land from heathen barbarians but mostly to provide the various warring factions in South America a common foe. So you could have anything from Japanese Brazilian Samurai to German Argentinean knights to neo Mayan & Incan (still Catholic though) fighting under a common banner.

tehskyman

Banned
Other way round, a Family being the agglomerations of many tribes (usually driven in large part or wholly by a single clan, hence the name), a Tribe being an agglomeration of many Clans, and a Clan being an extended kinship group.

Lowest: Clan - > Tribe - > Family: Highest

White only ever refers to Families, I believe, but these are always of massive civilization destroying type - the Jaegers, the Dabneys, the Baileys (the Andersons and the Rizzinis being coinages of prior threads), so these ought to be the largest group, the equivalent of your Ghengisid Khanates. Clans would be ruled by Chiefs or Sheriffs, Tribes by Great Chiefs or Judges, Families by any number of honorifics, the ones we've used the most being Colonel and High Judge.

I guess technically agglomerations without a dominant clan could be called "Confederacies", but over time "Family" may just come to encompass all sufficiently large Cowboy agglomerations.
I wonder if a "Great Father" could unite all the cowboys and stampede across the Feudal Heartland. Something like that could probably plunge the PNW, Utah-Idaho, and most of the Mississippi Basin into anarchy.

I wonder if a "Great Father" could unite all the cowboys and stampede across the Feudal Heartland. Something like that could probably plunge the PNW, Utah-Idaho, and most of the Mississippi Basin into anarchy.
That person would be, by Cowboy theology, the Messiah - and of course in my Cowboy Messiah post, I implied that the Messiah may be born soon, which would be a pretty pivotal event in the continent's history.

I like to imagine that the world of MedAm is on the eve of a massive cowboy conquest that conquers not just the Feudal Heartland but even the West. Then this united America could survive as a rump state based in Ohio but stretching out far and wide as described in earlier posts.

That person would be, by Cowboy theology, the Messiah - and of course in my Cowboy Messiah post, I implied that the Messiah may be born soon, which would be a pretty pivotal event in the continent's history.
Perhaps the Messiah would start a whole new American faith venerating the Four Presidents of Rushmore. This would be a Post-Christian religion like Scientology, Buddhism and New Age are.

Perhaps this could coincide with the Catholic crusades against the western hydraulic empires...

Perhaps the Messiah would start a whole new American faith venerating the Four Presidents of Rushmore. This would be a Post-Christian religion like Scientology, Buddhism and New Age are.
I think it should still remain largely Christian in character - perhaps he's more of a Mohammed type, and gets a new book of the Bible written

I like to imagine that the world of MedAm is on the eve of a massive cowboy conquest that conquers not just the Feudal Heartland but even the West. Then this united America could survive as a rump state based in Ohio but stretching out far and wide as described in earlier posts.

The idea of the majority of America reuniting and being unambiguously American-ic/-ish/-like in culture, but NOT containing the original east coast homeland “America” started from, is deliciously ironic. I tend to unite my Americas from Atlantic to Rockies but this is far too good to not consider. :p :D

I think it should still remain largely Christian in character - perhaps he's more of a Mohammed type, and gets a new book of the Bible written
I don't think that's necessary. Abrahamic religion would have been around for over 3000 years by this point, I think it would be perfectly fine to shake things up.