Simply put, have Cartoon Network first come on to the air at a plausible date earlier than 1992. Ideally, after Ted Turner acquires most of his current animation library.

By the looks of it (I may be wrong), Cartoon Network was created to take advantage of Turner Entertainment's acquisition of Hanna-Barbera the previous year.

Turner bought MGM's film and TV library in 1986 (the rest of MGM was re-sold). TNT was launched on cable in October 1988.

Would Turner take a chance to have two cable channels at once? If yes, then CN could be launched in 88/89.

Otherwise, maybe they give it a couple of years, and launch *Cartoon Network in 1990/91, to take advantage of MGM's large cartoon library (Looney Tunes, Merrie Melodies, Popeye etc.).

By the looks of it (I may be wrong), Cartoon Network was created to take advantage of Turner Entertainment's acquisition of Hanna-Barbera the previous year.

Turner bought MGM's film and TV library in 1986 (the rest of MGM was re-sold). TNT was launched on cable in October 1988.

Would Turner take a chance to have two cable channels at once? If yes, then CN could be launched in 88/89.

Otherwise, maybe they give it a couple of years, and launch *Cartoon Network in 1990/91, to take advantage of MGM's large cartoon library (Looney Tunes, Merrie Melodies, Popeye etc.).

Thanks this answer, i thought he bought Hanna Barbera Early, if anything OTL was the best date possible. Unless Turner Import Japanese Animation earlier to fill the pre hanna barbera content

For example, that one Lupin III series I wrote about, right?
Nope as that was a production from Zero, and IIRC outside of Europe, Lupin Wasn't that popular in the americas(there a reason why Lupin III part iv happened on italy and V a whole arc was dedicated to france too) so if anything i could see turner relicensing cliffhanger...but i doubt would have better luck OTL, if anything, Turner have the gundams and Pre Sailor Moon Magical girls to fit content(and if anything, will need to be edited even by cable standards)

I also thought that there also could be the factor of depending on how close CN is to Warner Bros, we could see some of WB's collabs with Amblin released to CN.

Warner Animation was defunct near the beginning of cable tv. They only took the first, faltering steps at reforming in the early 80s. Meanwhile, Chuck Jones was out there making Loony Tunes content independently,

Either making a deal with Jones or Warner Bro’s, Ted might come into possession of a lot of IP in the late 70s and be ready to launch something in competition with Nickelodeon. Heck, maybe he steals a march and gets out there before Nick, CN becomes the reigning kids’ cable network in the 80s.

There’s also Disney, but they had just as many problems as Warner through the 70s and 80s so I doubt they’re a threat until the end of the decade just like OTL. I’d say maybe Turner can try to license their material, but Disney’s never going to shed IP, given their business model.

Warner Animation was defunct near the beginning of cable tv. They only took the first, faltering steps at reforming in the early 80s. Meanwhile, Chuck Jones was out there making Loony Tunes content independently,

Either making a deal with Jones or Warner Bro’s, Ted might come into possession of a lot of IP in the late 70s and be ready to launch something in competition with Nickelodeon. Heck, maybe he steals a march and gets out there before Nick, CN becomes the reigning kids’ cable network in the 80s.

There’s also Disney, but they had just as many problems as Warner through the 70s and 80s so I doubt they’re a threat until the end of the decade just like OTL. I’d say maybe Turner can try to license their material, but Disney’s never going to shed IP, given their business model.
WOULD THAT MEAN THAT TOONAMI WOULD'VE LAUNCHED EARLIER?

Yeah, just curious, how would a earlier Cartoon Network look like that?

Yeah, just curious, how would a earlier Cartoon Network look like that?
Much like the original one at the beginning, reruns and maybe funding original shorts till they get the big pitch.on the other hand a CN on the super competitive 80's toy market could make even more toy cartoons air earlier there(rerun or original) meaning the worst policy of modern CN of pushing anything marketable start since the very begin

Much like the original one at the beginning, reruns and maybe funding original shorts till they get the big pitch.on the other hand a CN on the super competitive 80's toy market could make even more toy cartoons air earlier there(rerun or original) meaning the worst policy of modern CN of pushing anything marketable start since the very begin
Oh, would Toonami start earlier, to make anime more mainstream earlier, I think the late 80s/early 90s would have been the perfect time because of the release of Akira in the US.

Oh, would Toonami start earlier, to make anime more mainstream earlier, I think the late 80s/early 90s would have been the perfect time because of the release of Akira in the US.
Sorry to rain on your parade but if any anime would goes there would be Robotech and star blazers, thanks their length and because Turner would object Akira. Maybe DB could be show but a Maybe. One anime could get show would be slam dunk, a popular sport in USA,easy to tone down dialogue and antics,etc

Sorry to rain on your parade but if any anime would goes there would be Robotech and star blazers, thanks their length and because Turner would object Akira. Maybe DB could be show but a Maybe. One anime could get show would be slam dunk, a popular sport in USA,easy to tone down dialogue and antics,etc
Ok. There are also American action stuff they could air.

Ok. There are also American action stuff they could air.
As said before, CN could become a paradise for those 80's cartoons rerun or could be were ultra toyetic one could get an original start too. That will change a lot the animation landscape too, as CN only started original productions when the nickelodeon original three,started, ie Doug, Ren and Stimpy and Rugrats

As said before, CN could become a paradise for those 80's cartoons rerun or could be were ultra toyetic one could get an original start too. That will change a lot the animation landscape too, as CN only started original productions when the nickelodeon original three,started, ie Doug, Ren and Stimpy and Rugrats
Nice. In fact, what if Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon actually traded place(launch-wise), Cartoon Network launches in 1979, while Nickelodeon launches in........ 1984?

Nice. In fact, what if Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon actually traded place(launch-wise), Cartoon Network launches in 1979, while Nickelodeon launches in........ 1984?
Plus early nick were family movies and live action series so no difference the release date.maybe ittl CN pick up wait till your dad is home?

I would assume than an earlier CN would have Hannah-Barbera, MGM, Warner Bros. Paramount/Flechiser/Terrytoons, Filmation, Termite Terrace cartoons and maybe some anime(mainly the the afterschool and late-night hours)?

I would assume than an earlier CN would have Hannah-Barbera, MGM, Warner Bros. Paramount/Flechiser/Terrytoons, Filmation, Termite Terrace cartoons and maybe some anime(mainly the the afterschool and late-night hours)?
And then come the late 80s/early 90s, they could try out original programming while also airing DIC and other stuff. And then by the mid-late 90's they would begin phasing out some of the older stuff migrating it to Boomerang, which ITTL is more properly managed and is in a bit more homes, while they pick up more anime and began making DC content.

And then come the late 80s/early 90s, they could try out original programming while also airing DIC and other stuff. And then by the mid-late 90's they would begin phasing out some of the older stuff migrating it to Boomerang, which ITTL is more properly managed and is in a bit more homes, while they pick up more anime and began making DC content.
By at least 2003, outside of the "essential classics", and a few extra mainly linging around during late-night hours on Fridays & Saturdays, all of the classics would have moved to Boomerang. By late-04, the network would look like this:
Monday-Thursday:
6AM-9AM: Early morning block
9AM-11AM: Tickle-U
11AM-3PM: Boomerang
3PM-5PM: Cartoon Network's Last Bell/Camp Cartoon Network
5PM-7PM: Miguzi
7PM-11PM: Primetime
11PM-5AM: Adult Swim
5-6AM: Acme Hour

Fridays:
6AM-7PM: Same as Monday-Thursday

7PM-12AM: Cartoon Network Fridays