Proposals and War Aims That Didn't Happen Map Thread

Kind of a pity from a map mapmaking perspective we didn't get Colorado (OTL southern California) and Jefferson (OTL Colorado)
Real pity, because in OTL Los Angeles is one of the biggest cities in the world, and having it as the capital of Colorado would make it one of the richest states in the country.

Real pity, because in OTL Los Angeles is one of the biggest cities in the world, and having it as the capital of Colorado would make it one of the richest states in the country.

Well who knows how LA would have evolved if southern California had become an alt-Colorado? would this *Colorado have been a slave state or territory given it fell below the free/slave line? I have little doubt LA would have gone on to become a major city and port as in OTL, but perhaps it might have evolved a bit differently. Who knows it might even have been bigger and more important than in OTL!

Using the proposed Nevada and adding in the proposed Colorado (southern California):

1595805178032.png

and with proposed Colorado as fully envisioned at expense of some of proposed Nevada:

1595805165454.png

and the combination of the proposed Nevada, proposed Jefferson (with original eastern boundary in red), proposed *Colorado, proposed Arizona and complete partition of Utah:

1595805143339.png

EDIT: Shifted the border of *Colorado slightly north in keeping with this map from earlier in the thread (which I found using the Index post by @Drex - perhaps we should make a new index post or can help Drex update the old one?)

Attachments

• 1595619161628.png
    1595619161628.png
    3.9 KB · Views: 886
  • 1595619425204.png
    1595619425204.png
    4 KB · Views: 871
  • 1595621209335.png
    1595621209335.png
    10.7 KB · Views: 919
Last edited:
(snip)
Supposedly some proposals for western states. Maybe someone could do some digging to find the listed house bills to check for accuracy.

Source from Twitter

I'll have to look into the House bills, but Nevada's borders look suspiciously close to their current ones for 1860. When Nevada became a state in 1864, it was missing the easternmost and southernmost parts (map). Those weren't added on until 1866 and 1867 respectively, in response to then-recent gold/silver discoveries.

Odd that Nevada, according to this, was apparently claiming parts of California, despite it already being a state.

Yeah, there were a lot of misunderstandings about where exactly CA's eastern border was early on. Nevada even organized a county that was mostly in what's now California (initially called Lake County, then Roop County), which led to armed conflict over control of the Susanville area.

In this map, it looks like they set the boundary at the crest of the Sierra Nevada. I have to admit, that makes good sense to me.

Using the proposed Nevada and adding in the proposed Colorado (southern California):

View attachment 569055

and with proposed Colorado as fully envisioned at expense of some of proposed Nevada:

View attachment 569056

and the combination of the proposed Nevada, proposed Jefferson (with original eastern boundary in red), proposed *Colorado, proposed Arizona and complete partition of Utah:

View attachment 569066
Does that proposed Nevada include the Goose Lake Basin or not? That basin does occasionally connect to the Sacramento River rather than being an actual part of the Great Basin.

Does that proposed Nevada include the Goose Lake Basin or not? That basin does occasionally connect to the Sacramento River rather than being an actual part of the Great Basin.
Yes, it looks like it does.

Edit: Continuing in the vein of different U.S. state divisions:
This page is a really useful source of info on California split proposals. In particular, the fifth link under "Maps" has a good summary of historic proposals (along with, of course, maps).

Last edited:
Edit: Salt Lake City would be placed in Jefferson. Now, another topic. Was splitting Mormon-inhabited areas between Nevada and Jefferson made to diminish the political powers of the Mormons?

According to the article @Chris S posted, that was exactly the point:

The partitioning proposals aimed to divide the fifty thousand Mormons in half, so they would be the minority in each of the new mining-dominated territories. In defending his proposal, McClernand stated that once they had been stripped of political power, "they would probably pass out of our jurisdiction into Mexico or the British territories [Canada]."

Edit: Continuing in the vein of different U.S. state divisions:

I was gonna post that myself, but you beat me to it. Really great resource. It even has scanned copies of some original handwritten (!) bills from the 1800s.

Rather than selling the islands to the United States, the British, or even the Germans, as I know was proposed, was it ever proposed to sell the Danish East Indies to France or the Dutch? And while I know that the US was interested in buying the Danish Virgin Islands, even in 1867 when it was first proposed to buy the two smaller islands of St. Thomas and St. Johns, leaving the larger, outlying island of St. Croix for the Danish to keep, how interested were the British, Germans, French, and Dutch in buying the Danish Virgin Islands?

I don't know if anyone has done the map about the 1916 proposals on partitioning the Ottoman Empire, so here it is:
sykes.png

It is based on this map:
1024px-Peace-conference-memoranda-respecting-syria-arabia-palestine5.jpg

In 1916 the intention would not have been for an independent! Armenia but for Armenia as part of the Russian Empire I think (maybe if autonomous like Finland)
IIRC Gen. Yudenich suggested that "Ottoman Armenia" (the Six Vilayets) NOT be resettled with Armenian refugees (after all, there were relatively few Armenians left west of the Russian border after 1915 :( ), but instead resettled with Cossacks and ethnic Russians, to form a permanent buffer between the Russian Empire and the "rump" Turkish state... sort of like the "Polish Border Strip" that Ludendorff et al were insisting upon in the old Congress Poland. Would sort of blow a hole in the "Wilsonian Armenia" concept...

Supposedly some proposals for western states. Maybe someone could do some digging to find the listed house bills to check for accuracy.
I really like how South Idaho TTL looks exactly like North Idaho OTL. We should have had two Idahos. Just not there; these borders are absolutely terrible.

Skallagrim

Banned
Found at reddit, not sure if it's actually a proposal.

Let's just call it the Frisian Option...

View attachment 570290
There are some Frisian nationalists who still think this sort of thing is -- or ought to be -- viable. It's cute, but ridiculous. Frisian hasn't been spoken in most of the denoted area in hundreds of years. It's also ultra-weird how these guys always claim lots of areas, but never include the bulk of Holland, which was also Frisian-speaking in the way-back-when days. They're weirdly selective in that way.

Anyway, actual spread of Frisian these days can be seen in red, here:

c5eb332743f5faebe71cf0b8657597f6.jpg

The orange regions aren't Frisian-speaking in anything even approaching a meaningful manner.

There are some Frisian nationalists who still think this sort of thing is -- or ought to be -- viable. It's cute, but ridiculous. Frisian hasn't been spoken in most of the denoted area in hundreds of years. It's also ultra-weird how these guys always claim lots of areas, but never include the bulk of Holland, which was also Frisian-speaking in the way-back-when days. They're weirdly selective in that way.

Anyway, actual spread of Frisian these days can be seen in red, here:

c5eb332743f5faebe71cf0b8657597f6.jpg

The orange regions aren't Frisian-speaking in anything even approaching a meaningful manner.
Wasn't there someone on the board back in the "old days" who was known for "Frisian-wanks"? :)