For All Mankind (AH Tv series at Apple TV)

So here's what we know so far on the second season:
  • Ellen Wilson is still the commander at (an expanded) Jamestown, and still using her married name, so her secret isn't out yet.
  • Ronald Reagan is now President, likely defeating a scandal-plagued Ted Kennedy in 1976 and taking office four years earlier than OTL.
  • The Space Shuttle is still developed, but as a lunar transport rather than an orbiter.
    • This is likely to allow the show to use archival footage like with making Reagan President.
  • Ed Baldwin appears to be in an administrative role, potentially teeing him up to be NASA administrator at some point?
  • Gordo looks like he's fallen on hard times and is reduced to making publicity appearances.
  • Its looking a lot like the season finale of Space Force on the moon, only the Americans' guns are working this time.
  • Danielle Poole looks like she's touching an Apollo capsule in that hangar scene, perhaps bidding the design farewell?
  • US-USSR tensions are very much high, with the moon fast becoming a flashpoint for making the cold war go hot.

some stuff that irritate me in Trailer

Soviets waring Sokol- pressure suits on Moon, there original not design for waring on Moon, but for emergency inside the spacecraft.

Columbia were are your heat radiators !?
news-072520b-lg.jpg

close look on Suit and Guns the NASA astronaut have, im Trailer you see two grenade launcher (on low speed)
news-072520c-lg.jpg

Last edited:
I have to say that if this thing is getting militarized, it's not going to be NASA guys toting guns around. The whole point of NASA was that it was to be non-military (no matter how many of its astronauts were military guys).

The Air Force is going to insist on its own base and its own personnel up there. They would likely end up using the same launch and crew vehicle hardware, though.

Ugh.

I didn't take a close look at those rifles before, but no, THAT thing is just not going to happen. I mean honestly, at a minimum the mags aren't going to be reloadable with EVA gloves, but realistically? I have my doubts about the optic through a visor, the trigger (although looking again, it looks like they might have removed the guard), mag release, charging handle, forward assist (on which note, good luck clearing any kind misfeed) and maybe even the pistol grip itself working with the amount of dexterity actually available.

I have to say that if this thing is getting militarized, it's not going to be NASA guys toting guns around. The whole point of NASA was that it was to be non-military (no matter how many of its astronauts were military guys).

Meh. That I can almost live with. Probably not NASA as such, but having the Astronuat Corps spun off as a new and distinct uniformed service seems plausible even without a full Space Force.

Last edited:
I’m still curious how Reagan gets re-elected (seemingly) in 1980. That’s a tough year in a show that’s clearly fond of butterfly nets. One thing is that perhaps Reaganomics is a non-starter, he piggybacks off a good economy from Teddy, and...er...yeah, there’s still a lot to get through. No oil crisis for some reason? Iran goes...different?

I also expect this will take us to the brink of war and pull us back, Red October style. It’s a very Cold War trope to pull.

i will be damed
but just found the NASA technical memorandum 104084:

Feasibility Analysis of Cislunar flight using the Shuttle Orbiter
by Davy A. Haynes of Langley Research Center 1991

He proposed that Orbiter+ET refueled with 713 metric ton hydrolox near Space station Freedom
using 5-day Hohmann transfers orbiter could arrive in 100 km lunar orbit with 3.2 metric ton of payload.
if Orbiter get more fuel it could bring more payload to Moon orbit.
He point out issue like SSME restart or ET propellant handling and Increase in OMS propellant capacity

Source

i will be damed
but just found the NASA technical memorandum 104084:

Feasibility Analysis of Cislunar flight using the Shuttle Orbiter
by Davy A. Haynes of Langley Research Center 1991

He proposed that Orbiter+ET refueled with 713 metric ton hydrolox near Space station Freedom
using 5-day Hohmann transfers orbiter could arrive in 100 km lunar orbit with 3.2 metric ton of payload.
if Orbiter get more fuel it could bring more payload to Moon orbit.
He point out issue like SSME restart or ET propellant handling and Increase in OMS propellant capacity

Source
wow and from the look on the writer (Ronald D. Moore) I confidence that he did his homework on all space rocket program that were cancel because of cost

Small question: is the M-16 a suitable weapon to be "adapted" to the Moon? I ask because I seem to recall it was not an excellent weapon...

M-16's are very dust prone. My time in Desert Storm saw me cleaning the damned thing at least twice a day. Don't even want to think about about lunar dust levels. Plus I'd imagine there's gonna need to be a new lubricant tolerant to the lunar temperature ranges as well.

I'd also have some questions about how well the gas system would handle the vacuum environment, but that's not at all distinct to the AR platform, and definitely not something that can't be overcome.