Proposals and War Aims That Didn't Happen Map Thread

From Wikipedia:
A victory for bad penmanship.

I thought it was all of what remains, as Mexico claimed Belize/British Honduras north of the Sibun River until 1893 and Guatemala claims Belize/British Honduras south of the Sibun River.
Did they claim all of it to the north? The map examples show a straight line border, which would still take almost half the remaining land,

Last edited:
Maybe "Arizuma" was the result of a cross between Arizona and Montezuma? I know Montezuma was the proposed name for a state encompassing the entire New Mexico Territory, which at the time still included Arizona, southern Nevada, and southeastern Colorado, yet the Gadsden purchase hadn't yet happened, so modern Arizona south of the Gila River wouldn't have been part of Montezuma

Last edited:
Page 9 of the Statecraft on the Eve of the Civil War:
1595508068157.png

Assuming that the dots are populated areas, it's a bit unusual to put a border through a population centre.
“Population center” would be somewhat less back then. Given the curving the proposed border shows whenever there is a population on both sides of the line, I assume it is partially going by a river boundary at some point, or splitting the communities as best it can without actually slicing specific ones in two. Odd that Nevada, according to this, was apparently claiming parts of California, despite it already being a state.

Maybe "Arizuma" was the result of a cross between Arizona and Montezuma? I know Montezuma was the proposed name for a state encompassing the entire New Mexico Territory, which at the time still included Arizona, southern Nevada, and southeastern Colorado, yet the Gadsden purchase hadn't yet happened, so modern Arizona south of the Gila River wouldn't have been part of Montezuma
Or perhaps it referred to the Zuma people?

“Population center” would be somewhat less back then. Given the curving the proposed border shows whenever there is a population on both sides of the line, I assume it is partially going by a river boundary at some point, or splitting the communities as best it can without actually slicing specific ones in two. Odd that Nevada, according to this, was apparently claiming parts of California, despite it already being a state.
"Population cluster" might have been a better term perhaps.
I'm eye-balling it admittedly, it looks like it follows the Bear River south from the 42nd Parallel North, crosses the Great Salt Lake, and then follows the western boundary of Salt Lake and Utah counties, and then a meridian line.

I was having a look over the House of Representative bills for 1860 to check as @Iserlohn suggested and found that the eastern border of California was only set that year in
H. R. 706. Also, bills H. R. 707 through 712 have not been digitised, so I couldn't confirm any of those.

Oh, additionally, the Jefferson Territory:
1595577641197.png

(the white outline is because it was, at least according to Omniatlas, a semi-independent government)

Also:
Apparently, arizuma is Nahuatl for "silver-bearing" -- that's probably where it came from.

Apparently, arizuma is Nahuatl for "silver-bearing" -- that's probably where it came from.
Unfortunately, that's a folk etymology – Classical Nahuatl at least doesn't have an r sound of any kind, and its word for silver is "iztāc teōcuitlatl" (which has the fun literal translation of "white god-excrement").

Last edited: