As Dreamers Do: American Magic Redux

PS Doesany body like the idea of Shirley temple taking Ronald reagan place as president. I feel that there be some changes in who become presidet from by otl and the orignal american magic. I find the idea of shirley temple as preisdent to be pausalbe because had a failed run for congress in 67 as a republican and had several stints as an amador. I like the idea of a female president

@Light_Star 1

Atari has barely been founded.

Anyways...

Entertainment News for August/September 1972

If federal lawmakers approve, Cadence Industries will merge the Marvel Comics Group with Walt Disney Productions.
- The Washington Post

NHL grants expansion franchises to Washington, DC and Atlanta. Both will begin play in the 1974-75 season.
- The Sporting News

Desilu looking to acquire the intellectual property of the now-defunct RKO movie studio. Desilu co-founder Lucille Ball was a contract player for RKO long before achieving her greatest success on I Love Lucy.
- Variety

NBA approves the Baltimore Bullets' relocation to Washington, DC for the 1973-74 season.
- Sports Illustrated

ABA approves the Dallas Chaparrals' move to San Antonio for the 1973-74 season.
- The San Antonio Express-News

The Motown-led consortium that owns the Warner Bros. movie and television studio adopts the Warner Communications name and logo [1].
- The Detroit Free Press

[1] The Big W designed by Saul Bass.

NFL Commissioner Pete Rozelle, AFL CEO Al Davis and CFL Commissioner Jake Gaudaur reopen merger talks.
- The Toronto Star
If this means that Disney will be bought out by someone, then I'd rather not have the two merge. On the other hand, if it's really Marvel being sold to Disney, then I'm for that outcome.

I'd let Desilu buy the IPs of RKO, if only to give Lucile Ball more to do without Paramount breathing down her neck.

Glad to see Warner Communications is the same as IOTL.

Could Bill Gates end up in charge of Commodore ITTL? I know I talk about Commodore a lot but they were one of the world’s largest personal computer companies. They earned nearly fifty million dollars in 1983. The Commodore 64 was the world’s best-selling desktop computer. I just think that having a whiz kid like Gates could be what keeps Commodore from bankruptcy.

Fritz the Cat
Fritz the Cat
fritz-the-cat-5.jpg

Released by American International Pictures on September 8, 1972.

Directed by
Ralph Bakshi

Based on the underground comics by
Robert Crumb

Fritz the Cat was Ralph Bakshi's first independent project after being laid off from Famous Studios. Bakshi's tenure at Famous ended with the release of Yellow Submarine, after which, he returned to New York to establish a studio he hoped would break the stigma of American cartoons being a children's medium.

In the years since this film's release, Robert Crumb has expressed very deep disappointment with the film adaptation of his character. Crumb even went as far as to have Fritz killed off in a 1973 comic where a female ostrich stabs Fritz with an ice pick.​

The Birth of HBO
On the night of November 8, 1972, less than 500 homes in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania were hooked up with cable television by Teleservice, now known as Service Electric. Little did these subscribers know they would become part of television history as that night marked the launch of one of the first premium cable channels; Home Box Office.

hbo_1972.jpg

Home Box Office is a joint venture of Time-Life, Inc. and Sterling Manhattan Cable.​

Entertainment News for December 1972/January 1973
@Colonel Zoidberg
Miami Dolphins pull off the first undefeated season in professional football.
- Sports Illustrated

Westinghouse and Metromedia gain final approval from the FCC for their fourth network. The soon to be named network is expected to launch in Fall 1974.
- The Washington Post

Instead of a merger, Cadence accepts a counteroffer from Walt Disney, Sr. to acquire the Marvel Comics Group. Disney's current licensing agreement with Gold Key is expected to expire by mid-summer of '73.
- The New York Times

Tex Avery Enterprises is now hiring artists and animators for its anthology television series, The Wacky World of Tex Avery, which will headline the Westinghouse/Metromedia network's lineups in Fall of '74.
- Los Angeles Times classifieds.

CMJ Begins production on In The Night Kitchen with Warner Bros. handling distribution.
- The Hollywood Reporter

Filmation makes a head-scratching decision to acquire the North American rights to Dutch comic strip Sjors en Sjimmie (below) or George and Jimmy. Without a pilot, a script or model sheet ready, Lou Scheimer was quick to announce Donny Osmond would voice the blonde Sjors/George, but Sjimmie/Jimmy is rumored to be offered to Michael Jackson or newcomer Larry Fishburne. Sjors/George began in the late 1920's/early 1930's as a Dutch import of Martin Michael Branner's Perry Winkle and the Rinkydinks before building a mythos of his own thanks to creator Frans Piet. About three years ago, Mr. Piet retired from the strip and the reins have been handed to Jan Kruis, who redesigned the characters for a new era.
- The Hollywood Reporter.
Sjors-en-Sjimmie-folder.png

Last edited:
With us in December 1972, has Walt Disney Sr. by this point come across Flying Scotsman while it was based in San Francisco during this point?

IIRC in the old TL that he did see it however I think it's quite likely that during this time when to locomotive's owner Alan Peglar went bankrupt and the engine was left marooned at an army base in Sacramento that Disney Sr. would have helped Peglar pay off his debts and maybe pay the costs of getting Flying Scotsman home.

Interesting butterflies if Peglar still owns the engine by this point and he was very much a showman like Walt and they would've no doubt got on like a house on fire. Would be interesting footnote in Disney history for sure.

@Colonel Zoidberg
Miami Dolphins pull off the first undefeated season in professional football.
- Sports Illustrated

Westinghouse and Metromedia gain final approval from the FCC for their fourth network. The soon to be named network is expected to launch in Fall 1974.
- The Washington Post

Instead of a merger, Cadence accepts a counteroffer from Walt Disney, Sr. to acquire the Marvel Comics Group. Disney's current licensing agreement with Gold Key is expected to expire by mid-summer of '73.
- The New York Times

Tex Avery Enterprises is now hiring artists and animators for its anthology television series, The Wacky World of Tex Avery, which will headline the Westinghouse/Metromedia network's lineups in Fall of '74.
- Los Angeles Times classifieds.

CMJ Begins production on In The Night Kitchen with Warner Bros. handling distribution.
- The Hollywood Reporter

Filmation makes a head-scratching decision to acquire the North American rights to Dutch comic strip Sjors en Sjimmie (below) or George and Jimmy. Without a pilot, a script or model sheet ready, Lou Scheimer was quick to announce Donny Osmond would voice the blonde Sjors/George, but Sjimmie/Jimmy is rumored to be offered to Michael Jackson or newcomer Larry Fishburne. Sjors/George began in the late 1920's/early 1930's a Dutch import of Martin Michael Branner's Perry Winkle and the Rinkydinks before building a mythos of his own thanks to creator Frans Piet. About three years ago, Mr. Piet retired from the strip and the reins have been handed to Jan Kruis, who redesigned the characters for a new era.
- The Hollywood Reporter.
Sjors-en-Sjimmie-folder.png
I have a good idea for the channel's name: The Westingmedia Network.

If I were Walt Sr., I'd get rid of Gold Key as soon as possible, simply due to the content that could be made from their properties. Marvel has a numerous amount of heroes and villains to adapt into movies and television. And, with Star Wars being a Disney property from the start, it could lead to certain elements of Marvel being incorporated into the Star Wars mythos, or even vice versa. Meanwhile, all Gold Key has is Turok and Magnus in terms of popular characters that could be adapted.

Hopefully, it's a LOT better than the OTL version of The Wacky World of Tex Avery!

I knew that In the Night Kitchen was one of those two classics! Come on, Where the Wild Things Are!

Not gonna lie, I actually have high hopes for Filmation on this. I don't know why, but something tells me that the company might strike gold with all the details we have so far of this.

I don't like Westing Media. It seams more like a name fora division of westing house that proudce tv show and movies then a joint network with metro media. I Zentith Broadcasting Network, 2 Standard Broadcasting System3 Hollywood united Broadcasting. 4 Consolidated TV Network 5 Ace Broadcasting Network. Any one else got any suggestions

I don't like Westing Media. It seams more like a name fora division of westing house that proudce tv show and movies then a joint network with metro media. I Zentith Broadcasting Network, 2 Standard Broadcasting System3 Hollywood united Broadcasting. 4 Consolidated TV Network 5 Ace Broadcasting Network. Any one else got any suggestions
Would the name of Metrohouse be better for the network? Or would it work as much as Westingmedia?

With us in December 1972, has Walt Disney Sr. by this point come across Flying Scotsman while it was based in San Francisco during this point?

IIRC in the old TL that he did see it however I think it's quite likely that during this time when to locomotive's owner Alan Peglar went bankrupt and the engine was left marooned at an army base in Sacramento that Disney Sr. would have helped Peglar pay off his debts and maybe pay the costs of getting Flying Scotsman home.

Interesting butterflies if Peglar still owns the engine by this point and he was very much a showman like Walt and they would've no doubt got on like a house on fire. Would be interesting footnote in Disney history for sure.

I'm sure Walt and Peglar can work out an arrangement.

Would the name of Metrohouse be better for the network? Or would it work as much as Westingmedia?
Metorhouse is a little better better then westingmedia but I still don't like it. I persoannlly do feel that You had to name the network after one of both of the parent I would go with Westinghouse Metronet , Metropolitan Network or Metronet. I feel that westing house is better associated elctoincs and metromeida with enterment so I feel that it would be a better Idea to name the network after metro media then westingouse

What does the Disney animation pipeline look like? Because I am rooting for Don Bluth to make the Fox & the Hound and the Rescuers in the late 70s and all of his otl classics in the 80s.

What does the Disney animation pipeline look like? Because I am rooting for Don Bluth to make the Fox & the Hound and the Rescuers in the late 70s and all of his otl classics in the 80s.

Current Disney Pipeline

1973: Robin Hood
1974: Winnie the Pooh and Tigger Too [short]
1975: Beauty and the Beast
1977: TBD
1978: The Small One [short]
1979: TBD

On the bubble:
The Snow Queen
Rapunzel
The Rescuers
The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh

For the time being, Disney still farms out a few scenes here and there to Grantray-Lawrence.

Current Disney Pipeline

1973: Robin Hood
1974: Winnie the Pooh and Tigger Too [short]
1975: Beauty and the Beast
1977: TBD
1978: The Small One [short]
1979: TBD

On the bubble:
The Snow Queen
Rapunzel
The Rescuers
The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh

For the time being, Disney still farms out a few scenes here and there to Grantray-Lawrence.
I would have The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh premiere in 1977, The Rescuers would get a 1979 release, and Rapunzel and The Snow Queen would be released in 1982 and 1984, respectively.