For a Gore Prosperous Tomorrow

Sanders Adminsitration- 51st State
The Sanders Administration: The 51st State

The idea of a new state being added to the Union was a question that was only weighted upon semi-seriously until very recently. The last state to be admitted to the union was Hawaii, only a few months after Alaska, both of them admitted into the United States of America in 1959, with the ones before being Arizona and New Mexico back in 1912. As such, not many people considered the idea of a 51st state too much until recent history. The rise in social media and its usage within the news and politics have spread awareness to various movements to potentially give rise to these new states. While some have figured Puerto Rico would be one, especially with a referendum back in 2014 (albeit one not included due to various problems with how it went), the big surprise came in what it was.

The District of Columbia.

A statehood movement for DC goes back further than most people would expect it would've. A large part came in regards due to voting rights and recognition, along with a desire for proper representation within the House and the Senate among other governing bodies on the federal level. However, the movement got the boost it needed when in 2016, a districtwide vote was held on whether the nation's capital should become the 51st state. With the vote of majority being "yes" on ~87%, it would seem that people wanted this. However, the excitement built up more with the revelations of then president-elect Bernie Sanders showing public support and indeed, the Progressive branch began working on a bill to help put into to vote for statehood.

Unsurprisingly, it was not so simple. Some problems remained in regards to the size as well as containing only one city alongside various other issues that needed to be hammered. Matters such as name (a new vote was held on whether to maintain the name of New Columbia or change the meaning of DC to the Douglass Commonwealth) along with dealing with further confusion. However, new elements would come into play. During the talkes and discussions and the subsequent information talks about the federal district, it was noted that the capital was bigger than used to be, until the retrogression of Alexandria City and its division with what is now Arlington County. The history behind it, along with the ties to the Civil War raised some questions, especially with the revelation that the retrogressive action may have been unconstitutional due to the "contract clause" and previous presidents, such as President Taft attempted to reverse the decision.

However, rather than go to the Supreme Court, President Bernie Sanders insisted for the city of Alexandria and for Arlington County to show a referendum on the matter, which would be held in April. The move was done to show respect to the people living there, which may have also gathered support for the people living there. While there was understandably some conflict within, especially due to the concerns of potentially weakening the Democratic Party, Sanders noted it was matter of the people living there, which Virgina should respect. Furthermore, since Vieth v. Jubelireri had made political gerrymandering more difficult and would later be augmented to deal with the concerns of racial gerrymandering (which resurrected the term "the Southern strategy" into the zeitgeist), there was a fair more confidence. Eventually, the referendums in both areas would be held. Ultimately, due to a combination of potential economic benefits along with infrastructure agreements, some grassroots movements and various other factors, both Arlington County and Alexandria City would both vote "yes" in solid majorities to joining the new 51st state.

With the support of virtually every Democrat in the Senate and House along with a few moderates coming in, the votes were cast and it went to President Sanders to sign.

The inclusion of the 51st State of the Union, The Douglass Commonwealth (often called DC or Douglass for short.)

The federal buildings were remain in federal control with the diamond-like shape area would become the new state. The new state would host elections in the fall for their candidates of Representatives and Senators along with working for a state constitution and so on. Jokes were flying around on how various US flags would need to be changed. Furthermore, the capital regarding the United States itself would be referred to as Washington City.

Near the end of the disagreements, Sanders asked if he was willing to consider other states admitted into the Union and responded with if the people supported it, which brought attention back to Puerto Rico...

dcnewz.png
320px-Flag_of_the_District_of_Columbia.svg.png

Rough map of The Douglass Commonwealth or DC; Flag of the state of DC

Last edited:
Interesting. Not surprised about DC becoming a state, very surprised by Arlington and Alexandria being a part of it.
I think that would require either the consent of Virginia because it is ceding some land to form a new state, even if the Supreme Court rules that the retrocession was unconstitutional and technically didn't happen, because part of the City of Alexandria is outside of the former boundary of the District of Columbia.

The reduced Washington City federal district would also require a new amendment to the US Constitution, to repeal the 23rd amendment which covers presidential elections in the district.

Interesting. Not surprised about DC becoming a state, very surprised by Arlington and Alexandria being a part of it.
I think that would require either the consent of Virginia because it is ceding some land to form a new state, even if the Supreme Court rules that the retrocession was unconstitutional and technically didn't happen, because part of the City of Alexandria is outside of the former boundary of the District of Columbia.

The reduced Washington City federal district would also require a new amendment to the US Constitution, to repeal the 23rd amendment which covers presidential elections in the district.
Yeah. I discovered it when an alternate history friend of mine noted on how to deal with the naming issue and suggested that when the state is formed, to re-annex Arlington and Alexandria.

From what I checked, some politicians were all right with the idea, albeit for different reasons. I do not know how the Retrocession thing would go although ultimately I do think Virginia would probably go along with it since otherwise it'd make em look bad.

As for the amendment thing, not sure on how that would go as well as Douglass' capital

Last edited:
Yup, no surprise that would change! I'm open to hear any questions that I'd answer as best as I can.
Thank you!

Webcomics saw an increase an prominence through a few getting adaptations as webshows, being discussed or even advertised or plugged in and so on.
Hmm! Interesting! As somebody who is fan of a few webcomics (none of the big ones, atleast that I know of.), this is quite cool to read.

Did you have any webcomics in mind when writing this?

Thank you!

Hmm! Interesting! As somebody who is fan of a few webcomics (none of the big ones, atleast that I know of.), this is quite cool to read.

Did you have any webcomics in mind when writing this?

Hmmm... honestly, I don't know. Culture changed and some economic changes may mean that some people went into different directions. I will say that alot of the bigger name webcomics have bigger names because they could be plugged in or advertised in different shows, either by funding, or by someone giving them a shoutout. This would introduce a fresh reader base and likely more than a few celebrities would make note of it along with perhaps even somewhere in MySpace.

This is especially as they capture the imagination and do things most current fiction doesn't do or whatnot. I imagine Order of the Stick would probably be even ore widespread from beyond the Kickstarter thing while Girl Genius would definitely become one of the even bigger names known.

This is especially as they capture the imagination and do things most current fiction doesn't do or whatnot. I imagine Order of the Stick would probably be even ore widespread from beyond the Kickstarter thing while Girl Genius would definitely become one of the even bigger names known.
Ah yes, those two. I have heard and seen glimpses of them, but never read them.

Other than Homestuck, Penny Arcade, Ctl+Alt+Del (the infamous ‘loss’ comic), Ava’s Demon (which I read a while ago), and xkcd, that’s all the ‘big’ webcomics I know about.

Ah yes, those two. I have heard and seen glimpses of them, but never read them.

Other than Homestuck, Penny Arcade, Ctl+Alt+Del (the infamous ‘loss’ comic), Ava’s Demon (which I read a while ago), and xkcd, that’s all the ‘big’ webcomics I know about.

They’re both good! As for the others, they likely would grow in popularity depending on how it . Don’t know if all of them will, but they would see varying growths depending.

Any more questions? I appreciate being able to do so ^-^

For the 23rd Amendment repeal may not be necessary. Since it says “shall appoint in such manner as the Congress may direct”, Congress can with DC statehood direct the shrunken district’s electors to the winner of the popular vote, for example.

For the 23rd Amendment repeal may not be necessary. Since it says “shall appoint in such manner as the Congress may direct”, Congress can with DC statehood direct the shrunken district’s electors to the winner of the popular vote, for example.
That's true. It would certainly be one way around it.

Any more questions? I appreciate being able to do so ^-^
I'm still kinda early into the timeline, so I might try focus on doing that, then ask questions when I'm done reading what's been written so far.;)

But, if I may ask. Has anything of significance happened to the bands Imagine Dragons, OneRepublic, or Coldplay ITTL? or are they pretty much the same as IOTL?

I'm still kinda early into the timeline, so I might try focus on doing that, then ask questions when I'm done reading what's been written so far.;)

But, if I may ask. Has anything of significance happened to the bands Imagine Dragons, OneRepublic, or Coldplay ITTL? or are they pretty much the same as IOTL?

Ah, all righty then! ^-^

Well, from the brief glimpses I've looked at how and when they started...:

Imagine Dragons probably could've gotten their start through ArtistShare with the rise of Project MAY rather than their big break in Las Vegas. They would still probably rise in some form or fashion.

One Republic would've been even more popular since MySpace wouldn't lose prominence and probably be among the first to promote Project MAY as a way for new bands to come in and rise rather than deal with big traditional record signers and so on.

Coldplay likely wouldn't have changed.

Ah, all righty then! ^-^

Well, from the brief glimpses I've looked at how and when they started...:

Imagine Dragons probably could've gotten their start through ArtistShare with the rise of Project MAY rather than their big break in Las Vegas. They would still probably rise in some form or fashion.

One Republic would've been even more popular since MySpace wouldn't lose prominence and probably be among the first to promote Project MAY as a way for new bands to come in and rise rather than deal with big traditional record signers and so on.

Coldplay likely wouldn't have changed.
What about Five Seconds of Summer?

What about Five Seconds of Summer?
Given how they were originally YouTube celebrities, they would definitely rise thanks to Project MAY.

One note would be Project MAY having to either be selective on talent or likely invest there money made from them because of ArtistShare to maintain its growth to handle the new talent though I do seem them also becoming more collaborative.

One likely issue they’ll have to face is Project MAY dealing with potential bias regarding minority, trends or so on. Granted, given they’re Americans-based, lenience toward American talent and the rest of North America to a lesser degree is to be expected and likely create counterparts in different areas of the world though I do suspect that there may be some rumors or concerns on racial bias or so on.

This timeline is marvelous. Though it covers the era I grew up in, it looks barely recognizable because it's defined by boisterous anger instead of wimpy defiance.

Fantastic job, Count.

This timeline is marvelous. Though it covers the era I grew up in, it looks barely recognizable because it's defined by boisterous anger instead of wimpy defiance.

Fantastic job, Count.

It became defined by Gore sensibility rather than the belligerence of the Bush administration. This led to the continuation of the good times vibe of the 90s, heck it was an improvement.

McCain then exposed the problems of the systems that Obama did a better job covering up and so when a populist could rise, it was a reformer in Sanders.

Sanders Administration- Summer 2017
Summer 2017

"Looks like this year's expo is bigger and more drastic than ever..."

"The Grenfell Tower fire really lit a flame against the Tories here..."

"Wonder how Sanders will handle the foreign affairs..."

Summer continued to signal upcoming changes since 2016's shift and beyond culture slowly beginning to change as such, there was a growing acceleration in the idea that things needed to be changed. Prime Minister Corbyn urged his fellow European politicans and heads of state to begin implementing more radical changes to combat the threat of climate change along with instituting reforms to the European Union. He noted that while it was invaluable in what it provided, it was not above needing improvements and getting the people more involved and aware with the EU. Sanders promoted similar actions across the world. Perhaps no mroe this would be seen than in the 2017 Expo held over in Astana, Kazakhstan. The expo's theme was "Future Energy", and aimed to create a global debate between countries, nongovernmental organizations, companies and the general public on the crucial question: "How do we ensure safe and sustainable access to energy for all while reducing CO2 emissions?" The importance of the Expo and need for discussion was touted by President Sanders while sigifying a growing change in thinking. While wind and solar remained prominent points, they saw less exposure than expected in favor over tidal power, geothermal and other sources of power. Many noted that this was likely out of a growth in critical thinking over how effective are solar and wind power when construction, maintanance and recycling is factored into the equation. Biofuels saw a resurgence given the growing technology and likely as a result of the growing interests in algae with ideas such as biosolar panels to reduce CO2 while growing said algae as a way to improve food or even as a form of cabon-neutral biofuel for heating or electricity. Ideas deemed obscure or esoteric were seeing more prominence for their unforeseen potential. At the same time, wider discussions were held that were indirect results of such, such as the potential of nuclear fusion, the cultural aspects of energy sustainability compared with consumption and the involvement of the government versus the private sector.

Expo_2017_official_logo.png

Astana Expo 2017 logo

However, not everything was quite hunky-dory. The United Kingdom would reach headlines when on 14 June 2017, a fire broke out in the 24-storey Grenfell Tower block of flats in North Kensington, West London. The disaster caused 72 deaths, including those of two victims who later died in hospital. More than 70 others were injured and 223 people escaped. It was the deadliest structural fire in the United Kingdom since the 1988 Piper Alpha disaster and the worst UK residential fire since the Second World War. The fire was started by a malfunctioning fridge-freezer on the fourth floor. It spread rapidly up the building's exterior, bringing fire and smoke to all the residential floors. This was due to the building's cladding, the external insulation and the air gap between which enabled the stack effect. However, the bigger controversey came due to a snowball effect that came as a result of the responses to the fire. While this initially came in response to the fire, it would quickly grow to focus on the inadequacies of the buildings that led to the fire. Reinhard Ries, the fire chief in Frankfurt, Germany, was critical of lax fire regulations in the United Kingdom, contrasting the laws in Germany that ban flammable cladding on buildings higher than 22 m and require segregated fire-stairs and firefighting lifts which can be used by the fire brigade and injured or disabled people. Other issues included the negative responses from foreign colleagues over how UK regulations permit high-rise buildings to have only a single staircase. The Corbyn government was quick to call to try and overhaul these regulations while also lambasting the previous Conservative governments for their budget cuts, loosening of regulations and the neglect. This led to growing accusations and viewpoints that the Tories' do not care for the common person or poor. These have become more solidifed with further accusations and problems with the Conservative-run council attempting to restrict access to meetings along with that of the media's lack of real call to action. Unsurprisingly, the Corbyn administration worked to try and gather support for further reforms, improving standards and making people pay their fair share, with the media's attitude toward him backfiring as it further confirmed their role as accomplies with the Tories. Global support included that of President Sanders and Canadian Prime Minister Jack Layton.

640px-Grenfell_Tower_fire_%28wider_view%29.jpg

Grenfell Tower fire, 4:43 a.m. June 14, 2017

More drastically however was the news coming out of Myanmar. Namely a continuation of what has been dubbed the Rohingya genocide. A series of ongoing persecutions by the Myanmar (formerly Burmese) government against the Muslim Rohingya people. The genocide has consisted of two phases to date: the first occurred from October 2016 to January 2017 and the second now starting in August of 2017, as a result of a Rakhine militant attack. The crisis is forcing thousands of Rohingya to refugee status. Most fled to Bangladesh while others escaped to India, Thailand, Malaysia, and other parts of South and Southeast Asia. The McCain Administration did work to some degree to criticize and plan some sanctions on it, it is only now that with this, greater action is needed. Calls were made in, exploring "all avenues for justice and accountability, including through international courts". The idea of targeted sanctions and arm embargos were also considered. The UN Security Council was called in and the talk of the Rohingya genocide would be the talk of the news for the upcoming months. However, several obstacles were included into resolving this, namely Myanmar's governemtn trying to stand by the actions of their government along with China and India supporting Myanmar, albeit for different reasons. While various world leaders went to discuss ans NGOs and other groups worked to try and resolve, there was a sense of growing unease in further cultural influneces. China has also been likely noted to try and block the UN Security Council from mroe force actions through this has not stopped some plans for Europe, the Americans and other nations from potentially enacting sanctions of their own, such as direct sanctions against the Burmese military and penalties for firms that do business with companies linked to it. Anothernote was on the usage of social media, primarily Facebook in responding to the spread of hate-speech.

_97505106_040691953reu.jpg

Image of military presence in Rakhine state

The Sanders Administration: Medicare For All
The Sanders Administration: Medicare For All

The Sanders Administration's ambitions were among the greatest of any recent President elected. Cancelling student loans, eliminating all sorts of debts, increasing wages, etc. Unsurprisingly, many people were quite skeptical of Sanders' ability to achieve these actions and why he got some attention in 2012, he would be overshadowed. However, far from forgotten, he would gain more attention over time. As dissatisfication with the standard politician grew, challenges and demands were being of them to accept the will of the people and enabled by the domestic failures of the McCain Administration, it led to more people asking and pushing.

Why couldn't they get the healthcare or the student loans? The questions of money and cost was tossed around yet countered with the numbers. The taxcuts given to the very wealthy and corporations, the military budget that had seen increases since it was arbited by the Gore Administraton. It painted a picture of a nation who's leadership did not care about the people.

And so Sanders was voted in by enabling the voters to take action. He embraced openness to let the public know the stance of every politician currently in office and made sure people were aware of the importance of local elections, regional elections and so on. He told the people to take charge and hold their politicians accountable.

Every Congress official now had a Sword of Damocles hanging on their head over whether or not to support the bill. Private media had its hands tied over how to report on it given how the UK saw a backfire effect of trying to slam Corbyn had, mainly with the open secret of their conservative leanings and support. Plus, the Fairness doctrine remained and forced them to be impartial.

Medicare For All was chosen to be the first of Sanders' major reforms to be passed, arguably because it would be the easiest to do so. It was reforming and expanding a program already in place, especially since Medicare for Kids under President Gore proved that money would be saved in the long run with the nationalized healthcare system. However, Sanders wanted to go further beyond. As stated regarding in his key points:
  • Create a Medicare for All, single-payer, national health insurance program to provide everyone in America with comprehensive health care coverage, free at the point of service.
  • No networks, no premiums, no deductibles, no copays, no surprise bills.
  • Medicare coverage will be expanded and improved to include: include dental, hearing, vision, and home- and community-based long-term care, in-patient and out-patient services, mental health and substance abuse treatment, reproductive and maternity care, prescription drugs, and more.
  • Stop the pharmaceutical industry from ripping off the American people by making sure that no one in America pays over $200 a year for the medicine they need by capping what Americans pay for prescription drugs under Medicare for All.
The staunch Sanders' supporting wing had been pushing this and every politician who would try and vote this down would be exposed for a lack of care in the US. However, more notably was rumored plans to give politicians the same sort of healthcare access to everyone else. The underlying tone: If the commonfolk could not have premium tax-funded healthcare, why should the people they vote in to represent them do so? The Democrats have been growing gradually cowed into compliance to do so, especially as the new changes in leadership were doing so. Republicans were more mixed, but Sanders' populist standpoint transcended party lines

This was shown when some Democrat reps would switch over to Republican out of "closer beliefs" though many point how most of them switched after showing a potential loss in their primary. However, when Medicare For All was being pushed in summer, Congress was forced to bend the knee and pass it through. Medicare and Medicaid would see large reforms and increased to create Americare or sometimes called Sanderscare.

People would have their cards and grant them in various medical facilities covering all manners of emergancies and surgeries. Vision and dental care would be included and the system would be able to encompass everyone with taxpayer money. Moreover, was the following plan of the eliminastion of medical debt held by millions of Americans and the plan to pay for it done by establishing an income inequality tax on large corporations that pay CEOs at least 50 times more than average workers. The fears of economic troubles went abound though other economists have pointed out that with the removal of "unnecessary debt" on the taxpayers, they would be free to actually spend money to keep the economy going and indeed, the passing and subsequent messages of debt forgiveness and coverage spread nationwide joy and celeberation.

Of course, the issue was far from done and certain state politicians scrambled to try and maintain some control regarding certain issues such as birth control though the grassroots movements and the growing campaigns have been spelling doom for them as well.

Others were on the issues of some insurance companies who may go under now that they as middlemen were cut. Some would survive by managing to mimic the Austrailian healthcare model to a degree and provide people with "premium" plans for certain hospitals, hoping that people could be convinced to pay more for priority though there was a very fine line to tread to ensure that this payment did not result in people being "bumped off" the list. This would become somewhat accepted while other admins and service economy folk who worked for private businesses would end up competing to join the public sector as it would still be necessary to manage the bureacracy within the newly expanded medical network. Others would go into travel insurance, who would remain around even as they had to adjust prices to deal with the new norm and working with the Sanders administration on such. Unions were somewhat split on the decision though others noted that with medical care less of an issue, they could focus on others, such as safety and pay.

Another concern was on the potential lack of medical officials if they head to different nations though that was a very short list, especially given specialists. When asked about the concerns for potential shortage, Sanders noted that it was indeed a problem to be addressed and explored the hurdles that came with becoming a specialist and general medical practioner. One very large commonality was cost and many people were surprised to see the large debts of medical professionals despite the money being made.

Sanders' ended his statement by noting that if the nation needs more doctors, caretakers and other vital workers, then the nation should be willing to fund these essential workers' education to be able to go and do their duty and not burden with unnecessary debt, hinting at what was to come and a reminder of the importance of the 2018 elections...

Nevertheless, many people happily went to see doctors for the first time in adulthood or in many years, fears and anxieties of medical debt vanished practically overnight. Life saving drugs would see their prices be utterly slashed and orders increasing for them, resulting in need for more production for the sake of the people. While the first few months would be rough to adjust to the new norm, many would find themselves more relieved and optimistic for the future and would lead to a long-term increase in support for Sanders.

I got a question. How would the presidency y'all see deal with the extensively rich? As in what steps would they take to try and claim the money from tax havens and so on, especially regarding these circumsrances

I got a question. How would the presidency y'all see deal with the extensively rich? As in what steps would they take to try and claim the money from tax havens and so on, especially regarding these circumstances
My initial thought was that it would require some degree of international cooperation, as a lot of the large countries would be on-board with figuring out how to claim money hidden in tax havens, but now all I can think about is a bit from Red Mars where the United States and European Federation invade the tax havens to get their money, which is of no help at all.