Pop-culture in TL-191

• Thread starter Deleted member 82792
  • Start date
I wonder what the Kantai Collection aka Kancolle Fleet Girls and Azur Lane (or their analogs) would be like in the world of TL-191?
I imagine a lot of Japanese pop culture in TL-191 would be pretty much known only in Japan, Japan didn't belong to either power block during the Great wars but profited from the wars just the same.

IOTL Japan lost the war and suffered the nuking of two major cities, this actually may have lessened the animosity and prejudices against Japan post war and helped the Japanese to rebuild their economy but ITTL Europe and the Americas might hold a much longer grudge and bias against all things Japanese than they did IOTL

(It might be self-serving x'D) Probably made by England since it focus on the navy and it would glorify the RN and MN (Marine Nationale/French Navy)
EDIT: Their would probably be a form of rivalry between the RN and MN fleet girls and the KM (Kaiserlicht Marine) and the USN ones

Last edited:
If you want a third option that no one talks about, why not a TL 191 version of In the Presence of Mine Enemies by Turtledove himself? I presume it would be about a group of Mix-race individuals hiding in Richmond perhaps?

What's actually pretty interesting is that you yourself covered something like that back in 2018.

Until then, here is a TL 191 version of In the Presence of Mine Enemies.

----

In the Presence of Mine Enemies is an AH novel by Harry Turtledove set in an alternate world where the Entente won the Second Great War. The book does not tell us much about how the world came to be, but we learn great amounts about it.

The main setting of the novel is in Richmond, Capital of the Confederate States. By the time of the novel (2011), the Confederacy rules a "Tropical Empire" that controls the Western Hemisphere and is probably the most powerful economy on Earth. However, despite being so powerful, the Confederacy largely stays out of the affairs of the other Entente nations. The Freedom Party is still in charge, and the Population Reduction was long over. Elsewhere in the world, The other Entente nations are doing their own things. It is mentioned that France is a superpower as well, owning an arsenal of Superbombs like the Confederacy. The French occupy Germany to this day, maintaining Military Bases in every major German City, forcing the Germans to pay annual tribute to the French Empire. In the East, Russia has become more and more like France, with an autocratic ruler, and they are mistreating various peoples in Central Asia. Meanwhile, it is mentioned that the French and British, while technically allies, are starting to grow distant, and have entered a cold war, due to them both having Superbombs.

The main plot of the novel is about the Gump family. The gumps have seemingly high positions in Confederate society, but they hold a secret. The family, along with several others, are actually Octoroons, hiding in plain sight from a society that wants them dead. Meanwhile, the new Confederate President seems to be intent on Liberalizing the Confederacy, and could be a new hope for the Octoroons hiding throughout the Empire.

Alright, new line of thinking: First Great War AH Scenario. Specifically a TL-191 version of Kaiserreich, We can call it dixieland or Rule Britannia. The South wins but the North goes Red.

EDIT: And I see that has already been suggested on this thread. Well, at least SS-GB hasn't been suggested already, so I still have that under my belt.

Last edited:

MaxGerke01

Banned
Bummer, a lot of good stuff gets lost here but I didn't think threads were removed.
No things arent removed unless the OP specifically requests it so its likely still here.As far as this timeline goes the USA is in a bad location since if the Freedomites are fanatical enough to start a war with the Race like the Nazis did in the base timeline-the US is a lot closer to the fallout...

No things arent removed unless the OP specifically requests it so its likely still here.As far as this timeline goes the USA is in a bad location since if the Freedomites are fanatical enough to start a war with the Race like the Nazis did in the base timeline-the US is a lot closer to the fallout...
I can see Featherston being dumb enough to start a war with the Race.
Old threads do get hard to find here.

By the 1960s it may not be Featherston but some Freedomite true believer -so same difference :)
Right it wouldn't be Featherston , which brings up another interesting question, in a world where the CS isn't crushed in a second great war, who might succeed Featherston ?
I don't think it would be his vice Pres, who IIRC was Jewish, I cant see the CS electing a Jewish president but then stranger things have happened in RL.

Right it wouldn't be Featherston , which brings up another interesting question, in a world where the CS isn't crushed in a second great war, who might succeed Featherston ?
I don't think it would be his vice Pres, who IIRC was Jewish, I cant see the CS electing a Jewish president but then stranger things have happened in RL.

Don Partridge (a parallel of Dan Quayle, apparently) was Vice President but he was very much a lightweight and described as "a nobody". He's not going to succeed Featherston (he's also not Jewish, thought I'd mention that as well - you might be thinking of Saul Goldman?).

If I had to bet on someone succeeding him, I'd say someone like Ferdinand Koenig (he's described as being the second-in-command of the Freedom Party) or Jefferson Pinkard. Herbert Walker, the Confederate Secretary of State, is also possible. Same with CS Senator Richard Russell, who's described as a staunch supporter of the Freedom Party.

MaxGerke01

Banned
I think you are thinking of Saul Goldman who was the CSA Propaganda chief and Jewish. He was a contemporary of Featherston. Featherston's VP was actually Don Partridge who is meant to represent Dan Quayle-get it :) Like all dictators there would be a good chance that Featherston wouldnt want to put anyone into place who could effectively replace him.Suffice it to say it would probably be someone who had been raised in the Freedomite ideology since childhood or young adolensence so in other words a true believer and likely horrible individual...

Last edited:
Don Partridge (a parallel of Dan Quayle, apparently) was Vice President but he was very much a lightweight and described as "a nobody". He's not going to succeed Featherston (he's also not Jewish, thought I'd mention that as well - you might be thinking of Saul Goldman?).

If I had to bet on someone succeeding him, I'd say someone like Ferdinand Koenig (he's described as being the second-in-command of the Freedom Party) or Jefferson Pinkard. Herbert Walker, the Confederate Secretary of State, is also possible. Same with CS Senator Richard Russell, who's described as a staunch supporter of the Freedom Party.
I think you are thinking of Saul Goldman who was the CSA Propaganda chief and Jewish. He was a contemporary of Featherston. Featherston's VP was actually Don Partridge who is meant to represent Dan Quayle-get it :) Like all dictators there would be a good chance that Featherston wouldnt want to put anyone into place who could effectively replace him.Suffice it to say it would probably be somone who had been raised in the Freedomite ideology since childhood or young adolensence so in other words a true believer and likely horrible individual...
Right I was thinking Goldman the Propaganda Minister or Chief of Propaganda or whatever the Rebs called it.
I agree Featherston successor would be incompetent but maybe not as evil? Still evil though.

Last edited:
In addition...

1592218369927.png

One of the most long-running animes, Lupin III is the result of collaboration between Britain, France and Quebec, dating from 1971. Described as a mix of Arsene Lupin, Waldemar Fegelein's Simon Gruber films, and the Belgian Tintin comics, it features gentleman thief Lupin III (the grandson of Arsene Lupin), his accomplices David Jiggen and master samurai Goemon Ishikawa XIII, and on-off love interest Felicité Miné (an expy of the various girls Simon Gruber would end up sleeping with, constantly being pursued on their globetrotting adventures by Interpol officer Inspector Zebulon, who they are sometimes forced to team up with to defeat worse enemies (the first instance being the 1978 film Cagliostro's Castle, but extending in the series to neo-Freedomites, Irish crime lords and die-hard actionists, among others (who often try and invoke the supernatural.)

Right I was thinking Goldman the Propaganda Minister or Chief of Propaganda or whatever the Rebs called it.
I agree Featherston successor would be incompetent but maybe not as evil? Still evil though.

If you want someone "incompetent" but not as evil, then maybe Herbert Walker (the CS Secretary of State) would be a good choice.

Deleted member 82792

Klingons are more obviously space Japanese earlier then a soviet allegory like OTL for one thing. The Nazi planet episode equivalent probably either never gets made or is far less kind to it’s portrayal of such totalitarian society.

Would be cool if the captain of the ship on the show was a black man. I’m also enamoured by the idea ofthe shows Spock and McCoy being swapped, with the passionate southorn man as ships science and thelogical alien as it’s doctor
What famous episodes would there be ITTL?

What famous episodes would there be ITTL?
"The Troubles of Truubles" the Ship is almost overrun by seemingly innocuous Fuzzy creatures who breed uncontrollably.
"The Duality of Man" The Captain is split into two men, one who is rash and impulsive and the other who is so timid he cannot command the ship.
"the Scales of Fear" Introducing the Romunian race, a study on both psychological warfare as the Romunian stealth fields make them akin to submarines in space, and on the character of soldiers vs. their ideologies they fight for.
"On the Fields of Forever" the Bridge Crew is teleported back in time to 1862, and has a chance to prevent the Union's Loss at the Battle of Camp Hill, but is struck by the moral question of if they have the right to change history.
"The Mirror Image" the Crew confront sinister versions of themselves from a universe where the CSA won the Second Great War and imposed Freedomism on the world.
"End of Days" a study on the long-term ramifications of Superbombs and their effects as a planet-killer runs wild.
"Patterns of Force" One of the most famous episodes of the series, the Crew discovers a planet overrun by a neo-Freedom Party government, down to the uniforms, flags and emblems, and must discover what has occurred.

Famous 2nd Great War Films

Movies:
"The Longest Day" (1962) a Film Dramatizing the beginning of them Battle of Chattanooga, one of the most crucial battles of the Second Great War. Notable Actors include James Wayne as Irving Morrell, Richard Ryan as George Patton, Clynt Westwood as Rick Winters of the 101st Airborne, and Hank Fonda as Micheal Pound, as well as the film debut of John Earl Jones as the fictional Black Guerilla Leader Lycurgus, who was intended to represent the collective efforts of Black Guerillas against the CSA.
Jones in particular took the role seriously as he himself was part of a guerilla band as a child in Mississippi, managing to flee into the swamps when his parents were taken away by the Freedom Party.
On the technical side, the film was praised by the military historical crowd for use of actual CSA Barrels and aircraft, including a pair of Hughes "Hound Dog" fighters restored by the US Air Force Museum.

"In the Presence of Mine Enemies" (1963) a Naval drama about the Second Pacific War, notable for being the first collaboration between US and Japanese film studios. the portrayal of the war from both US and Japanese perspectives was something previously unseen in Hollywood, and was part of the smoothing of US-Japanese relations in the 1950's and 60's.
Notable Actors include Dirk Douglas as Admiral Spruance, Robert Mitchum as Admiral Halsey, and Japanese Actor Toshiro Mifune as Admiral Yamamoto.

"The Grand Escape" (1963)
A dramatization based on the mass breakout from Andersonville following a tornado strike in 1942, of which Johnathan Moss was a part. Recalled for its well-recognized theme song and the acting of Stone McQueen, who played the fictional character of "Hank" and was one of the most dogged of the escapees.

"On Wings of Steel" (1965)
A fictional tale of a US Commando raid deep into the CSA to rescue a captured General being held at the "Steel Plantation" a well-defended CSA facility full of Freedom Party Guards. But the FPG's may be the least of the squad's worries: there's a spy in their midst!
Clynt Westwood plays the role of the Unit's leader, while Quebecois Actor Gratien Gelinas stars as "Lieutenant Schmidt."

Last edited: