Crusader Kings III

Official Website
Frequently Asked Questions
Crusader Kings II Thread
VEfoJcDk_400x400.png

Coming September 1.

Last edited:
Immediate buy for me...I'll want to play as Najd and probably England, assuming Muslim powers are available for play immediately upon release unlike in past CK titles. Also hurrah for having more Western Africa. I hope Factions are easier to handle this time around, though ~ they're always the one major headache as Europeans in CK II.

Oh, we are getting Burma

Yes but, sadly, no China, which has long been a disappointment.

I've been playing as Makuria a lot recently with the goal of conquering Egypt eventually and Ethiopia and Somalia...at the moment Egypt is the possession of the Abbasid Caliphate so I daren't risk attacking them at the moment. Do the Abbasids ever disintegrate, or does their Empire remain united, in which case I may have to kiss goodbye my dream of a Sudanese Empire streching from Ethiopia all the way to the Syrian Border?

Taking a look at the culture map... and there's something that disappoints me. I was hoping they'd stop treating "Bedouin" as synonymous with "Arabs in Arabia proper", but apparently that's too much to ask.

My goodness, this is a SERIOUS Upgrade. So many tribes, barbarians, ECT to play!
didnt even see africa and mongolia when i was seeing the map,honestly there is so much land
What does everyone think about the fact that the game has no naval combat like in CK2?Personally I feel pretty disappointed.
wait it doesnt have any naval combat?why would they not put naval combat in given that the engine can handle it?havent been following the updates so i do not know,
The eastern Romans used their naval advantage against the various muslim caliphates so there is no reason to think it is ahistorical(obviously the combat of the period was based around boarding,except for the romans they had greek fire)

Last edited:
didnt even see africa and mongolia when i was seeing the map,honestly there is so much land

wait it doesnt have any naval combat?why would they not put naval combat in given that the engine can handle it?havent been following the updates so i do not know
The eastern Romans used their naval advantage against the various muslim caliphates so there is no reason to think it is ahistorical(obviously the combat of the period was based around boarding,except for the romans they had greek fire)
Back in CK2 the devs said that naval combat is unimportant because in their view there is not enough naval battles that produced a significant impact in the Middle Ages. Later on, the devs backtracked and said that they would add naval combat, but backflipped again and cited that it was too late in the game's develpment cycle to add it.A large number of players also backed the point that naval combat is unimportant in the Middle Ages or simply just hated naval battles in general 'because naval combat in other paradox games sucked'. For CK3, the devs have said that there's no naval combat for the time being, but I don't trust that they would ever add naval combat if it is not there day one.

Last edited:
Back in CK2 the devs said that naval combat is unimportant because in their view there is not enough naval battles that produced a significant impact in the Middle Ages. Later on, the devs backtracked and said that they would add naval combat, but backflipped again and cited that it was too late in the game's develpment cycle to add it.A large number of players also backed the point that naval combat is unimportant in the Middle Ages or simply just hated naval battles in general 'because naval combat in other paradox games sucked'. For CK3, the devs have said that there's no naval combat for the time being, but I don't trust that they would ever add naval combat if it is not there day one.

Paradox just can't handle boats. Look at EUIV, where naval power was the theme of the age (for Europe), and the AI still sucks.

So I have two current ideas for my game/AAR when CK3 comes out:

1.) Hindu India. The goal would be to unify India under my belt while keeping it religiously at least within the Indian religions(so Buddhism, Jainism, and Hinduism). After unification I would try and make sure that Central Asia, Tibet and Burma are under my Hegemony.

2.) Norse Scandinavia - unite Scandinavia as the Norse, going from tribal to feudal and reforming the norse religion along the way. I would try to bring the Baltic sea under my control and if possible the British Isles. I would try to keep this empire religiously diverse with different norse, slavic, and baltic faiths.

I am also not sure on the style. I am debating between either history book or narrative style. I think CK in general works well for the Narrative Style but the thing I am wondering about is how to handle the passage of time since the game covers hundreds of Years.