Sports What Ifs.

I edited it out but I did have him leave for the NBA after the '94-'95 season. What else can you do as a coach after winning the national championship, unless you intend to be at your school for a long time and become a dynasty? Pitino never struck me as having that ambition; he was going to the NBA sooner than later, and it would be a northeast team or a team in a major market (he would NOT leave UK for the Kings job).

Maybe he goes back to the Knicks in 95 (that's when Pat Riley went to the Heat).

Maybe he goes back to the Knicks in 95 (that's when Pat Riley went to the Heat).

I agree...assuming Pat Riley going to Miami wasn't butterflied away. I think the Knicks, Celtics, Sixers, Nets, Lakers, and Heat would've been in play. Miami and Los Angeles would be the two markets outside of the northeast he might realistically have gone to; LA only for Jerry Buss, though, never for Donald Sterling. Otherwise Pitino was a northeast guy. At that point of his career, he'd have left Lexington to take the U of L(ouisville) job before taking the job in, say, Minnesota.

Wouldn’t it make more sense to have Atlanta and Cincinnati in the East and Chicago and St. Louis in the West?
Yes, but this is how it was IRL and the excuse was it was better for TV. All those years of the Big Red Machine in Cincinnati in the 70's they were in the west.

Sports/Mathematical implications of a perfect NCAA Bracket and its confirmation?
The odds are... 1 in 2.4 trillion I think
No perfect NCAA Bracket was ever made.
Would this just be a mathematical curiosity, or would it have greater implications in the sports world?

WI the 49ers beat the Redskins in the 1983 NFC championship game (held in 1984) and go to Super Bowl XVIII?

IMO, for one thing, they'll give the Los Angeles Raiders a fight...

In Week 7 of the 1980 season, there was a blown call that may have affected the season:

With about 53 seconds left, Dallas had the ball on the Eagle 8 (it was fourth down) with a chance to tie the game and (maybe) send it into OT. Then, Eagle CB Roynell Young interfered with Tony Hill in the end zone (but it wasn't called).

If the play was called properly, and the Cowboys pull it out in OT, they would have ended up with a 13-3 record, and the Eagles would have been 11-5. That would have sent them to Anaheim Stadium for the WC, and I see the Rams winning that one.

Then, the next week, you have Minn@ATL and the Rams@Dallas. I think the Falcons beat the crap out of Minnesota, but I actually think that the Ram-Cowboy game would have been a toss-up (the Rams beat them convincingly at Anaheim earlier that year, and they won in Texas Stadium the year before in the playoffs). I will give a slight edge to Dallas, setting up an ATL@DAL NFC Title Game.

I see Dallas being a slight favorite, but a Falcon win would have been huge here (they were capable of doing it, too). No matter what happens in SB XV, Leeman Bennett isn't fired after the 1982 season, more than likely. Also, maybe Atlanta remains contenders for a few more years.

If Dallas wins, and Landry goes on to get his third ring against Oakland (they beat them earlier that year in Oakland), that could have been huge for him as well. He may have retired a few years earlier feeling a lot more content instead of going out the way he did. Also, a SB win would have been huge for Danny White. He would have gotten out of Roger's shadow somewhat, and he wouldn't have been looked at as a loser.

f Dallas wins, and Landry goes on to get his third ring against Oakland (they beat them earlier that year in Oakland), that could have been huge for him as well. He may have retired a few years earlier feeling a lot more content instead of going out the way he did. Also, a SB win would have been huge for Danny White. He would have gotten out of Roger's shadow somewhat, and he wouldn't have been looked at as a loser.
Nah that Oakland Team got the best of the strike shortned year and Landry already was getting expose, nothing changes

Nah that Oakland Team got the best of the strike shortned year and Landry already was getting expose, nothing changes

1980 wasn't a strike-shortened season. And, the Cowboys did beat the Raiders in Oakland that year. That would have been a good Super Bowl (and, we finally would have gotten a Cowboys-Raiders SB that we never got).

If the Mariners never have their epic comeback which saves the team, where do they go? Say the Mariners never get Randy Johnson. Maybe they deal Mark Langston elsewhere and get a picture who isn't this good or something. Of course him remaining with the Expos changes some things too, maybe they beat the Blue Jays in 93 in the World Series so the 94 strike isn't this catastrophic for them, they've already had their win. The Blue Jays didn't have much pitching so I think the Expos could have won.

Ken Griffey jr. Might leave also as a free agent without the Mariners having even been above 500 in his career there.

Arizona is committed to an expansion team, and the Mariners couldn't move their anyway before 1998 because they really needed a retractable roof Dome. Carl Pohlad try to move the Twins to Carolina but a stadium was voted down just as it would have been in Seattle in this timeline. Actually as it was once but then the comeback saved the Mariners in a second vote.

Ted Lerner is old enough he could have easily bought the team I suppose in the mid-90s. He could have gotten a 1993 expansion team if Denver is taken, since I don't think they were going to put two in Florida. But, the Mariners do move there, where did the Expos go if they wind up being sold? Because Claude Brochu had to operate on a shoestring and they would have had financial problems even without the strike, so not as many perhaps, and this presumes there is a strike still, although as I said 1993 is a possible World Series year. Which I suppose is a question in and of itself.

On the PFRA forum, I am looking at a 2008 issue of the Coffin Corner. In the Research Notes section, Ken Crippen (a PFRA Member) had some notes about a proposed football league starting called, oddly enough, the USFL. However, it's not about the 80's league. This is from 1944-45. Here are some highlights:

1. It was going to be a fall league (from first week in September to early December). They were going to play two games a week the first six weeks of the schedule.

2. Each franchise was going to cost 10,000 dollars.

3. Certificates of Operation be issued immediately to New York, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Washington, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, St. Louis, and Seattle.

4. Roland Payne (President) was also negotiating with groups in Boston, LA, and San Fran, and it was said that those groups would be represented at the next meeting.

That's the first time I ever heard of this league. This was right before the AAFC. If this prevented that league from starting, I wonder if Paul Brown would have been coach in Cincy a lot earlier. Also, if the Pittsburgh franchise was more successful than the Steelers (wouldn't have taken much), how much longer do they last (they were terrible in those days)?

WI: Randy Moss was drafted by the Cowboys?

You have the triplets on their last legs, but they're still together. Nate Newton, Larry Allen, and Erik Williams are are still on the offensive line. The '98 Cowboys went 10-6 IRL and won their division. And the second leading receiver on the team was some guy named Billy Davis with 39 catches. Moss went 68/1313/17 that year with the Vikings.

Does Moss put Dallas over the top and win them another Super Bowl?

Last edited:
WI: Randy Moss was drafted by the Cowboys?

You have the triplets on their last legs, but they're still together. Nate Newton, Larry Allen, and Erik Williams are are still on the offensive line. The '98 Cowboys went 10-6 IRL and won their division. And the second leading receiver on the team was some guy named Billy Davis with 39 catches. Moss went 68/1313/17 that year with the Vikings.

Does Moss put Dallas over the top and win them another Super Bowl?

I don't know if they win another SB, but they may get back to one more, and Moss's presence may have prolonged Irvin's and Aikman's careers (the Joey Galloway trade also likely doesn't happen).

WI the Packers draft Ray Lewis in 1996 and/or Terrell Davis in 1997? (I looked up their draft positions and was surprised they weren't higher...)

WI the Packers draft Ray Lewis in 1996 and/or Terrell Davis in 1997? (I looked up their draft positions and was surprised they weren't higher...)

TD was drafted in 1995. Allegedly, John Dorsey (a Packer Scout at the time) was interested in Davis, and wanted them to take him with the 170th pick in the draft (Round 5). However, Wolf decided to take another RB, Travis Jervey (he wasn't happy with Davis's injury history). Denver took him 26 picks later, and the rest is history.

If the Pack get Davis and Lewis, though, they probably win SB's 31 and 32, and end up losing to Minnesota in the 98 NFC Title Game.

As for Denver, if they don't get TD, they probably end up with a 5-11 record in 95 instead of 8-8. In the 96 draft, that would have put them in range to get Eddie George, and maybe Elway still gets a ring with him.

In 1978, the 49ers traded their 1979 first-rounder for O.J. Simpson. They had a season so bad that they were in line for the #1 pick, but it went to Buffalo instead (they used it on LB Tom Cousineau, who went to Canada).

If SF doesn't make that trade, they may have taken Phil Simms #1 overall. Walsh had him as the best QB in that draft. Then, after the Bills probably take LB Tom Cousineau fifth overall (they had the first and fifth picks that year), and the Colts take LB Barry Krauss sixth overall, the Giants are picking at seven.

I don't see them drafting Montana there. It was way too early for him. They had several needs on offense, and I can see WR Jerry Butler, Ottis Anderson, and Kellen Winslow in contention for that pick. In my opinion, they take RB O.J. Anderson (RB was a more prime position then).

After that, they would probably be in the market for a QB. At the start of the second round, Montana, Steve Dils, Chuck Fusina, and Rick Leach were among the best available (none went in Round 2, and Montana was the only one to go in Round 3 in OTL). The Giants had a second-rounder, but no third rounder (went to MIA for Larry Csonka).

In OTL, Walsh called the other teams to gauge their interest in Joe. Some said that they may consider him in Round 5 or 6, and some said that he should go to Canada. If the Giants don't take him in Round 2 (my guess is that they probably don't. Not many teams were willing to take Joe in Round 2. The Giants still probably draft WR Earnest Gray), he ends up dropping to Round 4.

I could see the Bills (pick 87) and Giants (pick 90) having interest in a QB (the Bills took QB Dan Manucci in Round 5). If the Bills take Montana, he is probably the one that comes in during the 1980 AFC Divisional playoff game when Joe Ferguson hurt his ankle. What if Ferguson can't go for the rest of the playoffs, and Montana takes the Bills to a SB title? Ferguson may get his job back in 81, but I can't see him being there too much longer. Montana could have been having success in Buffalo instead of SF.

If the Giants take him, they probably end up starting Pisarcik and Randy Dean most of the year, and then Joe probably takes over in 1980. With O.J. Anderson to handle the ground game, and young (and up and coming) WR's Johnny Perkins and Earnest Gray to throw to, Montana could have done a nice job, provided he could have stayed healthy (the Giants didn't have a great O-line. Simms missed practically two seasons due to injury and the strike in 1982 and 83).

Montana takes the Bills to a SB title?
Is the bills we're talking about, he will loss that SB.

If the Giants take him, they probably end up starting Pisarcik and Randy Dean most of the year, and then Joe probably takes over in 1980. With O.J. Anderson to handle the ground game, and young (and up and coming) WR's Johnny Perkins and Earnest Gray to throw to, Montana could have done a nice job, provided he could have stayed healthy (the Giants didn't have a great O-line. Simms missed practically two seasons due to injury and the strike in 1982 and 83).
With Montana, Giants Loss LT...that hurt more you could imagine

Not against the uptight Eagles. That team was ready to choke.
With some Luck, they could get an extra superbowl in montana years in buffalo, the 91-94 era is butterfly away but they would change those 4 loss for two wins without issue, later on Montana would decline with buffalo, maybe moved early.

Not necessarily. Their defense was horrible in 1980.
I can see the giants winning an extra SB early with montana and LT them...

WI the Cleveland Browns drafted Joe Montana and he's the QB instead of Brian Sipe in 1980? Having the Browns go to the Super Bowl that year would be interesting...