Eridan: Revamped

What would you all like to see first?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Deleted member 105545

Hello all! I've made other threads about this world in the past, but, in all honestly, those versions were horrendous.
I'm starting anew this time, and I am going to try and make this world believable.

450 AV / 2102 AA Map of Southern Eridan

Deleted member 105545

south_eridan.png

Excellent map. The coastlines look natural, the names are pretty good (a struggle for many fantasy mappers) and apart from the fairly clear British Isles, I'm not seeing any clear real world geographic analogues. I'm excited to see where you go from here.

Deleted member 105545

Excellent map. The coastlines look natural, the names are pretty good (a struggle for many fantasy mappers) and apart from the fairly clear British Isles, I'm not seeing any clear real world geographic analogues. I'm excited to see where you go from here.
Thank you! I agree I went a little too similar to the Redlands, but it's a feature now, and I don't have the heart to get rid of it.

So Linguistics it is!

I've a simple question for y'all though- how in-depth would you like me to get? Present it in the layman's terms or go full linguistic nerd?
I'm so excited! Can't wait to hear all about the derivational morphology and allophones and substrate influence and split ergativity...
... if I were a noun case, I'd be one that combines the functions of the Dative, Caritive, and Comitive, because when I'm dating someone, I not only care about them, but I'm also willing to commit myself to them. That is, until they decide they're no longer interested, which they have every right to do. In that situation, I do not utter a single word of disagreement, I just wish them well, and then transform into the Egressive so that I can make a swift but dignified egress.

Deleted member 105545

I'm so excited! Can't wait to hear all about the derivational morphology and allophones and substrate influence and split ergativity...
... if I were a noun case, I'd be one that combines the functions of the Dative, Caritive, and Comitive, because when I'm dating someone, I not only care about them, but I'm also willing to commit myself to them. That is, until they decide they're no longer interested, which they have every right to do. In that situation, I do not utter a single word of disagreement, I just wish them well, and then transform into the Egressive so that I can make a swift but dignified egress.
I won't go *that* into depth, because ive been procrastinating even making phonologies for most of the langs because most aren't that polished. Though, I will say Tripartite is better than split ergativity.

Deleted member 105545

Have a sneak peak:

GAILASCAN:
Phonology:

m n ɲ
p b t d c ɟ k
ɸ β s z ɬ ɬː ɮ ɮː ʃ ʒ ʂ ʐ ç ʝ x
r j ʎ ʋ
i y e ø æ ɑ o u

Orthography:
m n ny
p b t d ky gy k
ph bh s z l ll lz llz sc zc sz zs c j~g kh
r y ly v
i ú e ó á a o u

Sample:
Zciv gyeszúznayállz sdur drá.
/ʒiʋ ˈɟe.ʂyz.nɑj.æɮː sdur dræ/
DEF.NOM.M north-man-MASC.NOM.PL and new

The new Fjor. (the northmans and new)​

Deleted member 105545

DENTHIRAN:
Phonology:
p b t d k
m n
t͡ɹ̥ d͡ɹ t͡s
ɸ β θ s z x ɣ
r j l ɫ
i y e ä ɑː o u uː

Orthography:
p b t d k
tr dr c
f v th s ss h g
r j l ll
i y e a á o ou u

Sample:
Gá nyll drakoussum mán rih.
/ɣɑː nyɫ d͡ɹä-kuz-uːm mɑːn ri-x/
DEF.ABS.S salt meat-pig-ABS.S 1.ERG.S eat-PST.PRF

"I ate the Salted Pork."

"Denthiran, spoken in the kingdom of Denthir, is a Trythian Tongue. Scholars have long debated which tongue it is closest to, as it shows many similarities to both the tongues of the Obgin, Snladi and Grlná. However, Scholars in Eldtryth counter that it is similar to their tongue. Regardless of its origin, Denthiran is still an influential tongue, though not nearly as much as when Ytren formed the new Trythos. Many speakers of the common tongue have a difficult time learning the tongue due to the odd way they construct thier words. I am no expert on tongues, but from Scholar Deren's masterwork, On the Tongues of Eridan, I have gathered that they form their sentences backwards, and this poses much confusion for the common tongue learner. The same can be said of Denthiran folk learning our tongue. Interpreters were used extensively when Keagan I defeated the Trythos, as even a master of many queer languages such as himself could not grasp the backward sentences of Denthir." -Scholar Annam, 2093 AA, in his work 'A History of Denthir.'

Deleted member 105545

Hramman
Phonology:

m n ɴ
t d tˤ’ k g kˤ’ q qˤ’ ʔ
f v s~ʃ z sˤ zˤ x χ ʁ
ʋ ɹ l ʁ̞ˡ
æ äː ɑ̃ e ɜː ẽ i iː ỹ o u õ ʊ ʉː ũ

Orthography:
m n nq
t d t' k g k' q q' '
f~p v s z s' z' h qh qr
w r l ql
a aa ą e ee ę i ii į o oo ǫ u uu ų

Sample:
Į ks'eqh k'ersąnqį Hraam. [ỹ ksˤeχ kˤʼeɹsɑ̃ɴỹ xɹäːm]​

Here's the last teaser before I post the full thing!

Deleted member 105545

KEAGAN THE GREAT’S EARLY LIFE

"The story of Keagan The Great cannot be told without mentioning the circumstances that led to such an extraordinary man. Keagan was born to King Ferran II Darnym, and Queen Yvina Ifona. He was born during the War for Duskholde, between Ferran II, and the pretender Rychard, Ferran’s cousin. After the Battle of Silverkept, Rychard was captured, and all his supporters dethroned, putting in place either a younger family member or, if none promised eternal loyalty to house Darnym, their family's lands were stripped from them. After the war, a supporter of Rychard placed poison in the wines of King Ferran and Queen Yvina.
Keagan the Young, as he was called then, was crowned King of Duskholde and the Dusklands at an age of four. The regency council assembled for him consisted of the Lords of the Bluefields, the Northmarches, Tessaway, and Keagan’s uncle, Wymar. Keagan took an interest in ruling since he was crowned, but, as a small child, he was not allowed into the meetings. The regency council had been slowly filled with yesmen to Wymar, and the lords of Duskholde grew tired of his mismanagement of the realm.
Keagan eventually grew into a young man of five-and-ten, and demanded to be included on the regency council, but his uncle had laughed him off. That night, after being refused, an assassin was sent to kill Keagan as he slept. However, unbeknownst to whoever hired the assassin, He had adopted a hound, and, against his uncle’s wishes, Keagan slept with the dog. Luckily for our modern world, the dog, named Lango, alerted the young Keagan, sacrificing his own life to save his owner. Keagan reached for his sword, which he would then name Fateslayer, and killed the assassin. Fearing for his life, Keagan managed to escape Duskholde’s Keep, riding to his childhood friend and new lord of Tessaway, Lord Avon Tess.
Thinking his nephew had died, Wymar crowned himself King of Duskholde and the Dusklands, without consulting the High Archon or checking to see that Keagan was truly dead. Keagan remained in exile from his home until he turned six-and-ten, gathering support for his rightful claim to Duskholde.
On the day he turned six-and-ten, with the troops of Tessaway, Scarredwood, and Woodedford. A small battle broke when he reached the city gates, but the troops of the rightful king overcame them. Keagan walked into the grand keep of Duskholde, and found his uncle dead, with a dagger in his back. Keagan disposed of the body, and invited the High Archon to Duskholde to crown him. It was a small private ceremony, and on the 5th Day of the 7th Moon 1629 AA, he was crowned King of Duskholde and the Dusklands, issuing in the just and honorable reign of Eridan’s Greatest Darnym king."

-Scholar Erkart, in his work "The Life of Keagan The Great"

Deleted member 105545

How big was the kingdom that Keagan inherited, compared to the later state of Duskholde?
Duskholde remained relatively the same size until the Great Invasion occurred and the Kingdom of Eridan was founded.