Stupid Luck and Happenstance, Thread III

Oh yes, the low key civil war that taken in thousands of troops yes? More like the Troubles in NI, look theres obviously no point in me going on since I got a bit to into detail on the space side, blame that on my trying to do my history dissertation in the subject. However, this is an America Screw as America is the least hardest nation to do anything with TL wise, I would point you to a video by the late Brain4breakfast on how easy it is for america.

Add this to the sheer brainpower they have and they should easily be able to do the same things as the germans, especially if you have competing companies due to teh rampant capitalism in America.....
America has/had some very very good people of its own like Oppenheimer or Glenn Seaborg, Jack Northrop, Glenn L Martin, Clyde Cessna, James Smith McDonnell. Or in totally different fields Walt Disney, Norman Borlaug and Luther Burbank. Any of whom are world class.
But OTL the USA benefitted hugely from refugees from Hitler and Mussolini and Stalin. And co-operation post war from the European countries terrified of the USSR and British scientists whose domestic economy couldn't afford to fund their research ("the brain drain"). ITTL none of those refugees left Europe, the UK economy isn't in a parlous state and small countries like Belgium and Norway aren't giving away stuff for free (be it intelligence data or scientific research) because they have a national interest in giving the US an edge over the Soviets. ITTL if they can't exploit it themselves they can use it to buy kudos in multinational organisations, sell it at a commercial rate or use it to gain brownie points/exert diplomatic leverage with a larger neighbour. Which will be the UK, Italy, Germany or France, even Russia by now and not the US.

The presence of a French astronaut on the crew suggests that relations between France and Germany are improving markedly.

The big question is what flags they will put up on the moon. German, British, French and Russian, definitely. Quite probably Vietnamese. But the full list and arrangement would have been the result of long and tense negotiations.

Also a certain pack of cards is going to go in a museum.

Last edited:
The presence of a French astronaut on the crew suggests that relations between France and Germany are improving markedly.
I think that trend started before WWII in this TL as the trade interconnection in Europe were not severed again for the dreams of a madman. Add that the allied nations fought Russia together and you could find that the Franco-German relations are better. Also without the "inflation" of French importance after WWI (as in OTL) France should have accepted the role of second power in Europe more readyly.

The big question is what flags they will put up on the moon. German, British, French and Russian, definitely. Quite probably Vietnamese. But the full list and arrangement would have been the result of long and tense negotiations.
Also a certain pack of cards is going to go in a museum.
I think it should be the flag of the ESA... as it is a sign of human cooperation. And to snub the Americans that the world does not "need" them.

ferdi254

Banned
Anybody who claims that space faring was the most dangerous thing humans ever did should look up the death rate of sailors on the first long distance travels in the 15th and 16th century. If the NASA had had twice(!!) the survival rate of Magellans‘ voyage it would have never made it past 1961!

And deduct all the V2, Werner von Braun etc stuff once again this is not an USA screw. With Manhattan on time, B707 earlier and a space programme actually faster than OTL the USA is rather wanked in those areas.

Last edited:
As for this being an "America screw", would you argue that when looking at OTL with the events of the late 60's, Watergate and Trump getting elected to any office? TTL will have none of those things and the Americans have never been depicted as the villains. Also the Germans are hardly "white knights" the low key civil war going on in their back yard as well as several other things ought to be proof of that.
And the whole repeatedly fucking up the US's atomic weapons/ intelligence branches through their many moles, let's not forget that.

The issue is, it's been three threads now, and a common thread is that my country can't run a farm without descending into being backwards hicks who are also racist and get outwitted by the clever and nigh unstoppable Germans.

And the whole repeatedly fucking up the US's atomic weapons/ intelligence branches through their many moles, let's not forget that.

The issue is, it's been three threads now, and a common thread is that my country can't run a farm without descending into being backwards hicks who are also racist and get outwitted by the clever and nigh unstoppable Germans.
oh and don't forget being on the wrong side of every conflict ittl, where they roll 1'a on every aspect of this tl with the exception of the speer issue...

That is your take away? Seriously? In TTL all of America's wounds are self inflicted, just like in OTL, same for Germany in TTL as well which is hardly a utopia.

As for infiltration of Intelligence agencies, ever heard of Aldrich Ames, John Anthony Walker, and Robert Hanssen? Very real. It has already been heavily implied that the CIA has people within the German BND and BII, sorry you didn't pick up on that.

Last edited:
In essence, OTL has been an Ameri-wank, this is what you are used to IRL, so any nation in another timeline getting similar or the same breaks as the OTL and the US not getting them looks like an Ameri-screw.

Imagine the British Empire, (which was a 18th to 20th Century Brit-wank OTL - how else would a small island nation end up ruling a quarter of the world?), getting the post WW1 OTL breaks America got in a timeline? It probably wouldn't get past the first two instalments before being shot down and sent to the ASB forum.

It's easy to say "if you don't like it, stop reading", but I suspect that a lot of you are invested in this TL, (and for good reason), just don't forget, this is a work of fiction. No real lives have been lost to it. If it's still too much, maybe you do need to walk away.

Grimbald

Monthly Donor
PM's fantastic story.
PM's choice.

While I agree that the 20th Century was a bit ofAmerican WANK I think that it should be pointed out that more aggressive and acquisitive leadership in 1845, 1916-19 and 1945-46 would have led to an even greater WANK.

Let's let PM build this excellent story ( that I hope is only now half way done) while another of you builds the story of his choice.

What has happened ITTL for the United States is that unlike IOTL there has been no major external threat to the United States.
From 1941 to 1991 first with Nazi Germany and Imperial Japan then with the USSR the American people despite different political and ideological viewpoints came to a bipartisan consensus to fight and contain the these threats and it helped to lessen the domestic flashpoints of civil rights.
This helped develop the massive partnership and investment of government, academic institutions, and the private sector in a focused manner.
ITTL there hasn’t been that and that has in turn made the domestic situation worse and only now have we seen some progress on the civil rights front.
ITTL there was an effort to manufacture a “Kraut Scare” but that really did not take off but it did chase people like Nancy away from America to Germany.
Hopefully the space program will unite the American people and create the government, academic, and private sector partnerships that is necessary to bring the United States forward.

Vallis Schröteri
0_iywu7AvutFjyKEPf.jpg

ferdi254

Banned
Knightmare and care to tell us a few other things?
1) Why did the USA fund anything like a Manhattan project without the Nazis and Fermi meeting Einstein (who both would be in Europe TTL) and the latter writing a letter to Roosevelt?
2) Who exactly would run such a program without all the European scientists and their students? Before you answer have a look at the sorry to not existing theoretical physics education the USA had pre 1933.
3) Why would the USA have a 707 even before OTL without the spendings for WW2?

Not many people may have caught this up but ITTL a B36 was playing nice games with German fighters above the North Sea. A B36 OTL never had the range to fly from Boston to Heligoland and back at least not with full bomb load.

And so far the USA has been spared from the civil rights unrest it had to go through 1964 to 72.

descending into being backwards hicks who are also racist
That's almost heading for OTL current affairs reporting...

There are dozens of timeiines on here that are borderline, or even actual ASB Ameriwanks, I find them beyond tedious for the most part, but don't bother reading them , or crayon all over them saying how implausible they are. They have their audience and I am clearly not part of it.

Here in this epic we have a multi-generational saga that is refreshingly novel, and to me and many others, educational. So many twists and turns show P-M to be an excellent writer.

I had even set ejpsan to ignore for a while (sorry) as they were always attempting to pull the story from the European perspective, but over time they have settled into appreciating the story for what it is whilst still adding a US view. Perhaps we need more UK or other nations, interjections, but no more from that angle.

Constructive criticism is always taken on board by the author, please let them continue without hindrance.

Sorry, others have thrown their tuppence worth in and I hope this balances them out...carry on and keep up the good work P-M!

ferdi254

Banned
Knightmare and to be very clear about it: your country ran a genocide against the Indians until ... well, when if ever did you stop? it replaced slavery with indentured labor 1865 until 1941 it started a land grabbing war in 1898....

We are not talking the total und utter abomination Germany 38 to 45 was, and TTL USA has no moral standpoint against TTL Germany.

So Peabody Martini is not at all writing an USA screw. He could have been much harsher on the USA

Last edited:
Not sure, were any of your family members transported from Lancashire for stealing bread, or non-conformism?
It was mostly for Stupidly and by chance you did hit on the fact that there was a branch that did come from Lancashire.

There are dozens of timeiines on here that are borderline, or even actual ASB Ameriwanks, I find them beyond tedious for the most part, but don't bother reading them , or crayon all over them saying how implausible they are. They have their audience and I am clearly not part of it.

Here in this epic we have a multi-generational saga that is refreshingly novel, and to me and many others, educational. So many twists and turns show P-M to be an excellent writer.

I would like to be able to put it so clear as you.

There is an absurd amount of USA-wanks that are easily summarized as a wank over current OTL wank. In many of them Latin America and other countries are invaded and they happily embrace to be dominated and unlike OTL never treated as second class citizens or simply as "brown" people.

All that is totally boresome.