The Anglo-Saxon Social Model - The Expanded Universe

Couple of questions for you guys if any of you have specific feedback on them:

1) Are you all happy with the format I’m using for my infoboxes (where I have the text alongside the infobox as if they’re a screenshot from Wikipedia) or would you prefer me to go back to typing the text manually into the thread and putting an infobox alongside it (as I did with some of the older updates)? I think the former is neater but realise that the latter is easier to view on mobile (and edit if I spot a mistake)...

2) I’ve got a couple more “great men” infoboxes to do in the next couple of weeks and I noticed that both them and the others in that series are all, well, men. This wasn’t my intention at all so if any of you can think of some female figures you’d like to see them let me know.

1) Are you all happy with the format I’m using for my infoboxes (where I have the text alongside the infobox as if they’re a screenshot from Wikipedia) or would you prefer me to go back to typing the text manually into the thread and putting an infobox alongside it (as I did with some of the older updates)? I think the former is neater but realize that the latter is easier to view on mobile (and edit if I spot a mistake)...

I think go with the latter if it's easier. As far as I'm concerned, as long as the same amount of info is present, neither is worse, it's not like the out of the box text is too visually appealing in Wikipedia anyway.

1) Are you all happy with the format I’m using for my infoboxes (where I have the text alongside the infobox as if they’re a screenshot from Wikipedia) or would you prefer me to go back to typing the text manually into the thread and putting an infobox alongside it (as I did with some of the older updates)? I think the former is neater but realise that the latter is easier to view on mobile (and edit if I spot a mistake)...

I like the wikiboxes as they are now. But I am happy with whichever one is easier for you.

2) I’ve got a couple more “great men” infoboxes to do in the next couple of weeks and I noticed that both them and the others in that series are all, well, men. This wasn’t my intention at all so if any of you can think of some female figures you’d like to see them let me know.

Emma Goldman, Rosalind Franklin and Jocelyn Bell Burnell.

1) I'm okay with either. Go with whichever you feel more comfortable with.

2) Margaret Thatcher, Theresa May, Julia Gillard, Jenny Shipley, Helen Clark, Jacinda Ardern, Alexandra Ocasio-Cortez for female politicians.
Grace Hopper, Annie Jump-Cannon, Marie Curie, Frances "Poppy" Northcutt, Mae Jemison for female scientists and engineers.

Barbara Castle? As she was the 1st female Prime Minster in this timeline.

Businesses: Devonshire and Partners LP
Devonshire and Partners LP, usually referred to as Devonshire or more informally as Debo, is a British brand of high-end department stores, supermarkets and hotels, with operations in the Commonwealth, the United States, China and Arabia. The brand sells merchandise as part of an employee-owned mutual organisation, the second largest in the world (after its Commonwealth competitor B&Q). The partnership’s motto since 1925 has been that it is “never knowingly undersold.”

The partnership began when Lord Hartington, who had served as prime minister between 1880 and 1888, sought to maximise the use of his vast agricultural estates in the new legal regime that his government had introduced. The most notable of these were the so-called “use it or lose it” land regulations, which effectively required agricultural landlords to work with tenants to maximise profit or risk the tenants being able to purchase their land for a fixed price. To this end he formed a partnership with Wallace Waite, Peter Jones and Arthur Rose in 1890, which provided guaranteed outlets for the sale of Hartington’s tenants’ produce. Rebranding all their stores as “Devonshire and Partners” in 1920, the partnership expanded around the UK in the years before the World War.

The partnership opened its first non-British stores in Canada in 1937, expanding to Australia in 1949, Rhodesia in 1953 and, eventually, every member state of the Commonwealth. Devonshire made its first expansion outside the Commonwealth in 1968, with the acquisition of the Arabian chain Spinneys. It has since opened stores in China (starting in 1973) and the United States (from 1980), in the latter of which it trades under the “Whole Foods” name.

As well as its retail business, Devonshire and Partners also operates a chain of luxury hotels and spas. This aspect of the business began in 1959, when the 11th Duke opened may of his properties to the public. The partnership currently operates five 5-star hotels and spas in the United Kingdom (Bolton Abbey, Compton Place, Londesborough Hall, Hardwick Hall and Chiswick House), eight in Arabia (including Jerusalem’s King David Hotel), two mixed-use apartment blocks in New York City (the Dakota and the Bayard-Condict building) and the Broadway Mansions building in Shanghai. The hotels all operate under their own names and are not branded the “Devonshire” label, although workers are partners in the business in the same sense as their colleagues in the retail business.

Devonshire has been described as having an upmarket reputation, although current senior partner Lord Devonshire (the fifth generation of his family to hold the position) has argued that this is not the case when its grocery prices are compared to those of rivals such as Imtiaz or the Co-operative.

Screenshot 2020-09-27 at 15.56.30.png

Last edited:
Emma Goldman, Rosalind Franklin and Jocelyn Bell Burnell.

I think with Franklin and Bell there probably wouldn't be all that big a difference TTL, with the exception of them being named in the Nobel Prize Awards (and, in Franklin's case, having her live at least a few decades longer). Emma Goldman is an interesting one because the different US Reconstruction means that her politics might have developed quite differently. She'll have to wait a bit until I've fleshed out that period a bit more but I'll definitely include one on her when I have.

2) Margaret Thatcher, Theresa May, Julia Gillard, Jenny Shipley, Helen Clark, Jacinda Ardern, Alexandra Ocasio-Cortez for female politicians.
Grace Hopper, Annie Jump-Cannon, Marie Curie, Frances "Poppy" Northcutt, Mae Jemison for female scientists and engineers.

Ardern and AOC are both fairly important to how this TL shakes out by 2030 (the former more so) but probably haven't done enough to justify infoboxes by 2020. The others are very interesting - especially Gillard, Shipley and Clark.

Barbara Castle? As she was the 1st female Prime Minster in this timeline.

Very good point - an obvious oversight on my part.

I am happy with the Wiki boxes as they are, but what ever is easier for you.

As for female figures: Lorraine Dille Williams, Judi Dench, Marcia Lou Lucas, Anne McCaffrey, Carrie Fisher, Diana Spencer, Amy Winehouse.

Would also like to see some of the OC's and 'it could have beens' in famous roles profiled please.

I am happy with the Wiki boxes as they are, but what ever is easier for you.

As for female figures: Lorraine Dille Williams, Judi Dench, Marcia Lou Lucas, Anne McCaffrey, Carrie Fisher, Diana Spencer, Amy Winehouse.

Would also like to see some of the OC's and 'it could have beens' in famous roles profiled please.

I'm working on Marcia Lucas actually but she's part of a wider thing about the Star Wars franchise that I'm still a little way off finishing, I'm afraid.

The other suggestions are good though