Could Christina of Denmark be a possibility? I'm pretty sure she's already a widow, since she declined the suit of king henry not that much later.

Could Christina of Denmark be a possibility? I'm pretty sure she's already a widow, since she declined the suit of king henry not that much later.
First hubby died 1535.
Would be possible, though Charles maybe would have go to her, I believe she reigned as Regent for her son for a couple of years.

Christina is pretty unlikely (and she would elope with the Prince of Orange instead of marrying Lorraine, if anything) plus both Christina and Anne of Poland would be in a list of very much approved matches by Francis...

I have possibilities for Charles, but not for Margaret.

Jeanne of Navarre (b.1528). She's stubborn enough to stand against family disappointment for her actions.

Or, going along the reformist angle - Anne of Cleves? She's going to need a new husband, given Henry's not tiring of Anne Boleyn ITTL.

Perhaps a Scottish nobleman for Margaret? She goes to visit her sister and falls in love along the way.

But I do like the idea of Charles being the one of Francis's sons, who, despite his father's best efforts on his behalf, ends up in an unhappy, barren marriage.
Charles eloping with his first cousin Jeanne (just for getting her crown and freeing her from an unwanted match arranged by Francis) would be great...
Anne or Amelia of Cleves as wife for Charles would NOT be so bad for Francis as the arranged (and later annulled) match who he forced upon his niece Jeanne was with their brother....

If you want Francis to suffer then Jeanne of Navarre for Charles and Emmanuel Philibert of Savoy for Margaret are the ideal matches: both are perfectly suitable BUT would enrage Francis as they will ruin his plans

Fabulous suggestions everyone!! Thank you all so much!

Maybe instead of an elopement, maybe at least one of them goes along with an arranged match and it turns into a love match? Because after a while the gag stops being funny.
Maybe one of them is in an arranged marriage, where they start off hating each other, or thinking that they do through misunderstandings, only to figure out that they both actually like each other.
Then have Charles d’Orléans make the match with Anna of Austria that was proposed for him IOTL, become Duke of Milan, but absolutely hate his wife and have no children with her. Francis would be rolling in his grave at seeing his favorite son and the only one of his surviving children to make a dynastically suitable match also be the only one to have no legitimate children of his own.
Madeleine wasn't an elopement, just not her dad's first choice. I'm leaning towards Margaret being mostly the same. The problem with Charles accepting his dad approved marriage, is that he is by far the wildest most impulsive of Francis's children. So, if the older brother's eloped, I just can't make him marry appropriately. He's refusing too.

But maybe I can propose a different Anna as possible bride and with hopefully more happiness in the marriage.
Anna Jagellion, third daughter of Sigismund the Old and Bona Sforza, born 1523.
Jeanne of Navarre (b.1528). She's stubborn enough to stand against family disappointment for her actions.

Or, going along the reformist angle - Anne of Cleves? She's going to need a new husband, given Henry's not tiring of Anne Boleyn ITTL.
She did have a younger sister called Amelia, the age difference there would only be 5 years
Charles eloping with his first cousin Jeanne (just for getting her crown and freeing her from an unwanted match arranged by Francis) would be great...
Really great suggestions, I love Jeanne d'Albert and would love to do more with her. Though I notice there were no truly out of line suggestions for Charles. Looking at his OTL self I was thinking he'd make the worst choice in bride.

Just to mess with Francis, why not some outright protestant for both?

Then he'd really be tearing his hair out :)

Charles need someone aristocratic or very rich...
But I do like the idea of Charles being the one of Francis's sons, who, despite his father's best efforts on his behalf, ends up in an unhappy, barren marriage.
I also like this idea, but I just can't get Charles too. OTL he died after running into a plague house; he's idiotic impulsivity personified. I'm having trouble making him pick a reasonable bride.

Anyone have any suggestions for some truly inappropriate brides for Charles?

Thanks again everyone! Ya'll the best!

Don't know about inappropriate exactly, but for one guaranteed to tee off Francis to a fare-thee-well, what about Margaret of Parma? She's in roughly the right age range, she is Charles' bastard and the hash that will make of the situation in Italy could be very interesting.

Maybe just create a maid out of nowhere and have him mary her on a whim after getting her pregnant

Although, in line with my proposal for a protestant, Martin Luther did have a daughter born in 1529 who would die only in 1542 OTL, so...

Hmm....
There are always young women who had been forced by their families to take the Veil and become nuns. An unwilling nun, or young noble Abbes for Charles to fall in love and lust with, helping her flee her monastery or Abbey and then run of to England with the escaped former nun.

Last edited:
Don't know about inappropriate exactly, but for one guaranteed to tee off Francis to a fare-thee-well, what about Margaret of Parma? She's in roughly the right age range, she is Charles' bastard and the hash that will make of the situation in Italy could be very interesting.
Margaret of Parma would be hilarious.

Catherine Carey? Mary Boleyn's eldest daughter? She's only a year or two younger than him...

I may have found a VERY inappropriate bride for Charles. But I am not sure how you'd work her in. Dorothy Lansey (b. circa 1512). Quite apart from her age, which is about a decade older than Charles - she's the illegitimate daughter of Cardinal Wolsey and his mistress Joan Larkin, and was originally a nun at Shaftesbury Abbey before the Dissolution of the Monasteries put paid to that.

I may have found a VERY inappropriate bride for Charles. But I am not sure how you'd work her in. Dorothy Lansey (b. circa 1512). Quite apart from her age, which is about a decade older than Charles - she's the illegitimate daughter of Cardinal Wolsey and his mistress Joan Larkin, and was originally a nun at Shaftesbury Abbey before the Dissolution of the Monasteries put paid to that.
Never seen a King do a Spit Take before... :winkytongue:

Er... That's lost on me, I am afraid.....

One of these:

spit-take-.gif