Alternate warships of nations

My apologies, since this is not exactly on topic, but I was wondering are there any submarine centric TLs somebody could point me to? I have already found the WW1 German (Rise of the Uboat) and the one about US fixing the Mark 14 torpedo, and is there any more? Things like Kriegsmarine doing something differently with their Uboats, RN having more subs in S-E Asia or Dutch navy doing something with their own submarines?

My apologies, since this is not exactly on topic, but I was wondering are there any submarine centric TLs somebody could point me to? I have already found the WW1 German (Rise of the Uboat) and the one about US fixing the Mark 14 torpedo, and is there any more? Things like Kriegsmarine doing something differently with their Uboats, RN having more subs in S-E Asia or Dutch navy doing something with their own submarines?

I think I remember something about: US looses all carriers in Midway, forcing increased priority on sub warfare, at least untill mid.1944, when the Essex spam starts...

USS Deutschland (Renamed Bismarck after the capital of North Dakota) if she had been purchased by the US in company with the Northampton. Part of the same universe as Serapis
USS_Bismarck.jpg
Got a link to that TL please?

Anyone want to take a stab at how to modernize HMS Agincourt (1913) in the mid-to-late 20s?
I'm assuming this isn't for the RN, who would have long gotten rid of her. So Brazil or Turkey, or some other minor power who can't afford better. So shoestring, add some AA, modernize firecontrol, if you have money to burn torpedo bulges, more deck armor, and increase main battery elevation, but that is probably a waste and better spent on a new CL

New fore/aft turrets, 5xtwin 14" (this assumes you can slot the 14" turrets in without having to "dig" new pits)
Replace center turrets with AAA platform and one light seaplane; use the saved weight to spread extra armour over other areas
Replace all other guns with 4 twin 6" and 5 twin dual purpose 4" mounts and delete the torpedo tubes
Bring the speed up to 25 knots.

This would give a 2nd-rate nation a decent BB that would last for some years, assuming the hull is kept in fair condition.

Anyone want to take a stab at how to modernize HMS Agincourt (1913) in the mid-to-late 20s?
Convert her in to a mobile naval base......since nobody has suggested it, strip out all but the front two mounts and turn the rest into a fast (for the time) depot ship?

Turn her into a carrier maybe?

The formatting has got a bit messy but an eventual carrier conversion was discussed here.

I'm fairly sure i've seen a much more detailed posting elsewhere.

McPherson

Banned
Turn her into a carrier maybe?

1592770901915.png

Blech.

1592771010160.png

Source: US Navy; specifically,.

https://www.history.navy.mil/conten...hhc-series/nh-series/NH-103000/NH-103738.html

HMS Agincourt. (British Battleship, 1914) Drawing prepared by the Office of Naval Intelligence to show the ship's general arrangement in 1914-1916, after removal of boat stowage structure spanning the amidships gun turrets and before elimination of her tripod mainmast. It features a waterline outboard profile, topside plan and interior plans showing arrangement of armor plating. U.S. Naval History and Heritage Command Photograph.

Some comments.

The fire rooms and the trunking for the stacks are awkwardly placed in the DN and would require fairly massive intrusion into hanger space right where that hanger space and the lifts should be as wide as possible for moving airplanes around in the British strike below and arm/fuel practices of the 1920s and 1930s.

Based on a similar hull plan (HMS Furious) the forward edge of the flight deck would be set well back from the stem leaving an exposed forecastle and a dangerous wind baffle and stall hazard at launch.

HMS Agincourt is too slow to be of much use past 1942 when wind over deck becomes a necessity for the heavy FAA monoplanes coming into service. USN aircraft are viable since a 19 knot/10 m/s) flyoff for such burdened birds is a specific USN requirement.

As to the hanger capacity? I'm thinking something like HMS Hermes. (20 aircraft) with that bodged barbette layout eating up so much hull volume and making for a wasp waisted hanger in addition to the side trunking fore and aft for the exhaust funnels for the widely separated fire rooms.

Convert her in to a mobile naval base......since nobody has suggested it, strip out all but the front two mounts and turn the rest into a fast (for the time) depot ship?

I like the idea of an AOE much better than a mobile base. No sense in letting that otherwise horribly designed DN hull go to waste when it can be used as a auxiliary oiler and explosives ship and then as a target after it is worn out.

Last edited:
The formatting has got a bit messy but an eventual carrier conversion was discussed here.

I'm fairly sure i've seen a much more detailed posting elsewhere.
These are the conversations I was remembering.

I also remember someone posting on the old BC board years ago about outlandish proposals for refitting Agincourt. Mine was to replace the main battery turrets with triple 6" or 8" turrets. A ready-made 21 gun salute! And no, I didn't think of that particular comment back then, don't know why.

McPherson

Banned
1592883909398.png

I will leave this for interested parties to mull over and comment upon. Such comments are welcome. I have a thick skin and can take criticism.

View attachment 559509

I will leave this for interested parties to mull over and comment upon. Such comments are welcome. I have a thick skin and can take criticism.
It's an unusual design for certain. The main battery turrets look like the ones on US pre-dreadnoughts, specifically the ones with these 3 guns:
12"/35 (30.5 cm) Mark 1 and Mark 2
8"/35 (20.3 cm) Marks 3 and 4 8"/40 (20.3 cm) Mark 5
13"/35 (33 cm) Mark 1 and Mark 2

So it certainly looks like a pre-dreadnought, especially with all the casemate secondary guns in the superstructure and the fact that the rear turrets aren't superfiring. The use of 3 main turrets (presumably two-gun, giving 6 main guns in total) is unusual when most pre-dreadnoughts had 2 turrets, but it's not unheard-of- the Brandenburg class had them.

This looks like a better version of the Brandenburg layout- all 6 main guns have the same barrel length (though to be fair, this was the original plan for the Brandenburgs as well), and putting 2 turrets in the rear is more efficient than having one turret in the middle of the superstructure.

The strange part is the electric motor final drives and steam engine generators. I suppose the motors, generators, and engines could fit in the spaces provided (if barely), but OTL the first turbo-electric battleship was the USS New Mexico, in 1915-1918. The electric motors back in the pre-dreadnought era shouldn't be that good, or at least not be nearly small enough to fit in those spaces (the technology was just being developed in the 1890's).