The Maps For Wikipedia Thread

Alright people, Wikipedia has a shortage of maps of all varieties. This is a thread where people post about which Wikipedia articles need maps (and preferably data sources to make maps needed. Then, people can help make a map or can recommend a map made by someone else (with that other person's approval). That map then gets added to Wikipedia, helping other people.

To start things off, The 2018 Colombian parliamentary election needs a map.
Here is a source for people who want to make the map: https://elecciones.registraduria.gov.co:81/elec20180311/resultados/99CA/BXXXX/DCA99999.htm.

The 2014 map could be used as inspiration, or alternately, you could make your own (better) format and replace that map as well.

Say no more

B6sNJQe.png

This is a png obviously but I made and uploaded it as an svg, so it's all pretty and vector. Also made a map of the 2014 election using this template and replaced the old map.

Last edited:
Was looking up "spheres of influence in China", and in Wiki's "Sphere of Influence" entry in the China section they have this crap:
KCRC_China_spheres_of_influence.jpg

Aurantiacis

Gone Fishin'
Might as well contribute my own load of Wikipedia maps i found ranging from pretty lazy to chicken scratch. The last link is map regulations in Wikipedia

Anybody else ever noticed a trend on Wikipedia, where an article may have a GOOD map initially, or acquire one at some point, but a later edit gets rid of it and substitutes crap? Can't point to one single article right off, but seems like there's been times I wanted a map and thought "hey, the Wiki on it had a pretty good one", and gone back to find it and it had been replaced by the crap like above....

Crazy Boris

Banned
Might as well contribute my own load of Wikipedia maps i found ranging from pretty lazy to chicken scratch. The last link is map regulations in Wikipedia

The page for the Aro Confederacy used to have a map with the actual borders of the confederacy shown, but it’s since been replaced by a plain circle on the map for the Aro sphere of influence.
Thankfully the map on the Scramble for Africa page (conveniently in QBAM size) has the Aro boundaries clearly shown (but that map has other issues)

Do they dominate a major modern administrative unit?
The better-known and more or less autonomous (until 1918) sheikhdom of Jabal Shammar or Ha'il was an offshoot of theirs. I think they may be the ones @James the AH Fan may be referring to as being Ottoman vassals. Yet another polity that could've been/should've been propped up to limit Wahabi expansion in Arabia :)