Weekly Flag Challenge: Discussion & Entries

So regarding the next challenge i had an idea, basically you should take an irl flag that has a good design and one with a bad design, and redesign each one of them with the styling of the other one. This is just an idea atm.

So regarding the next challenge i had an idea, basically you should take an irl flag that has a good design and one with a bad design, and redesign each one of them with the styling of the other one. This is just an idea atm.
So a USA state flag in basically any other form and anything else in the form of a USA state flag, then? :openedeyewink:

So something like this?

Challenge No.226: The Prince and Pauper

Take a real-life flag that, in your opinion, has a good design, one with a bad design, and redesign each one of the flag with the styling of the other one.

Submissions Open: Now (22nd June)
Submissions Close: about a week later: 1200 GMT 29th June
I can think of a few examples now.

Last edited:
That sounds like a good idea. Do you want to run it using that?

Doubleposting wooo...
WFC #226: The Ol' Switcharoo

Pick two OTL flags, one that is generally considered good and one that is generally considered bad (beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so if you want, you can mention why you think one is a good design and one is a bad one). Then redesign each one with the styling of the other. You should link the originals, please don't include them as images since a post with 2 pics will be pretty big already, so 4 will be cumbersome to read.

Note that some pairs won't work. If you pick for example, Poland and Indonesia, with the argument "Indonesia's is bad because it's nearly undistiguishable" you won't be able to realize a submission. So try to pick flags that are pretty different from eachother.

Submissions Open: Now
Submissions Close: 29th of June, 12:00 GMT

Last edited:
Flag to redesign - Zambia:
zambia.gif
From the World Factbook: "Flag Design: green field with a panel of three vertical bands of red (hoist side), black, and orange below a soaring orange eagle, on the outer edge of the flag; green stands for the country's natural resources and vegetation, red symbolizes the struggle for freedom, black the people of Zambia, and orange the country's mineral wealth; the eagle represents the people's ability to rise above the nation's problems."

As I see it, one of those problems is the design of the flag. Flags with no symmetry have to have some other familiar guideposts, something to help the viewer put things into context. While the flag is definitely recognizable, and the eagle is iconic, this flag isn't going to win any beauty contests. In redesigning it, I didn't want to lose any of the components or symbolism. I went with a flag design that would handle 4 colors in a strong way, keeping the red away from both the orange and the green (which to my eyes are problematic pairings).

Template flag - Vanuatu:
vanuatu.gif

The New Flag of Zambia:

One major design choice I made in the new flag of Zambia was to make black the central color. If black represents the people, then I want the people to be central to the flag. I also didn't want to minimize the red (symbolizing the struggle) but in this design, the struggle is a part of the people, and not the largest part. Now, this flag is a beauty.
new zambia.png

The New Flag of Vanuatu:
Everything that has been improved for Zambia has been lost for Vanuatu. A once-proud flag is wondering, Why did this happen to me? All I can say is that it was part of the rules.
new vanuatu.png

Last edited:
I chose to redesign the flag of Zambia:
View attachment 560299
From the World Factbook: "Flag Design: green field with a panel of three vertical bands of red (hoist side), black, and orange below a soaring orange eagle, on the outer edge of the flag; green stands for the country's natural resources and vegetation, red symbolizes the struggle for freedom, black the people of Zambia, and orange the country's mineral wealth; the eagle represents the people's ability to rise above the nation's problems."

As I see it, one of those problems is the design of the flag. Flags with no symmetry have to have some other familiar guideposts, something to help the viewer put things into context. While the flag is definitely recognizable, and the eagle is iconic, this flag isn't going to win any beauty contests. In redesigning it, I didn't want to lose any of the components or symbolism. I went with a flag design that would handle 4 colors in a strong way, keeping the red away from both the orange and the green (which to my eyes are problematic pairings).
New template, Vanuatu:
View attachment 560302
The New Flag of Zambia:
View attachment 560308
One major design choice I made in the new flag of Zambia was to make black the central color. If black represents the people, then I want the people to be central to the flag. I also didn't want to minimize the red (symbolizing the struggle) but in this design, the struggle is a part of the people, and not the largest part. Now, this flag is a beauty.
You are supposed to redesign Vanuatu’s flag in the format of the current Zambia one as well.

Mozamb Islands and Marshallique

flag-of-the-mozamb-islands-png.560473

Flag of the Mozamb Islands, a.k.a. Mozambisles (Marshall Islands post-Mozambique flag swap)

flag-of-marshallique-png.560472

Flag of Marshallique (Mozambique post-Marshall Islands flag swap)

800px-Flag_of_Mozambique.svg.png

To be perfectly honest, I don't think the OTL flag of Mozambique is that bad-looking. When it comes to modern African national flags, the Mozambique flag is, in my very humble opinion, somewhere around the middle of the scale, slightly towards the higher quality end of the middle. Not a horrible flag by any means, but also not among the best-looking and the most interesting of African flag designs. By and large, I think the flag itself, in terms of colour combinations, is actually decent.

What's my main objection to it ? The national emblem in the red wedge of the flag is simply... too busy. The colours also clash into one giant mess: Red, black, gold, white. Enough for a separate flag. Let's examine the charges of the emblem, shall we ? There's a golden star in the background, then a book symbolising education, okay, but then there's also a hoe symbolising agriculture, and as if that wasn't enough, it's also the only country that put a Kalashnikov assault rifle into its emblem ! Yeah, yeah, I understand the struggle of the locals for independence from the Portuguese, or that they had some infighting of their own, but as far as emblems including firearms and weapons go, this particular national flag has always irked me with that overly modern symbol. Either way, it's Mozambique's flags, and it's their choice what they put on it. However, if this round was about improving existing OTL national flags, I'd probably throw out the hoe, rifle and book entirely and keep only the star. Or keep the star and book, or keep only the book (to show Mozambique might value education more than other African countries, or some similar bragging). But those are just my ideas. Decent flag, but could have been a little better.

800px-Flag_of_the_Marshall_Islands.svg.png

I sincerely don't know if the OTL flag of the Marshall Islands is considered gorgeous or amazing by the global public, but in any case, it sure is much better in terms of colour combination and colour contrast, in being easy enough and not too busy to remember, and so on.

Skip and Chip, that dynamic duo of inseparable Alien Space Bat friends, were bored out of their minds one day (as they do), and decided to come up with a new game to pass the time. To make it even more exciting, they placed a bet on the game they were about to play. Skippy bet with Chip that he can magically swap the national flags of two random OTL nations with each other, improving an all right but unexceptional flag in the process, and completely vandalising a visually attractive and well-regarded flag in the process.

The next day, the citizens of Mozambique woke up, bewildered to see someone had tweaked their national flag, and thought that it's not exactly that bad-looking now. In turn, the citizens of the Marshall Islands woke up and shook their heads in disbelief. Who redesigned their national flag to look like the flag of some leftist revolutionary state in Micronesia ?!

Skip won the bet, and Chip had to concede they both had a good laugh.

Last edited:
Oh I just had a great idea for this contest (I think so anyway) but I lack the skills to make it

A Blue Sheet US State with an SSR/Japanese Prefecture. Maybe even an internal one between a good and a bad US state. Actually might do that last one.

Oh I just had a great idea for this contest (I think so anyway) but I lack the skills to make it
A Blue Sheet US State with an SSR/Japanese Prefecture. Maybe even an internal one between a good and a bad US state. Actually might do that last one.
So a USA state flag in basically any other form and anything else in the form of a USA state flag, then? :openedeyewink:
Great minds think alike? ;)

OK I swapped the designs of two US states.

1024px-Flag_of_South_Carolina.svg.png

One of the good US State flags, still a blue sheet but has an actual simple symbol instead of a complex State Seal. Maybe not the best one but still quite good.

1024px-Flag_of_Pennsylvania.svg.png

Might not be the worst one (in fact better than just a circular seal). But still not one of the good ones.

ATL Flag of Pennsylvania.png

A new flag for the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, one which is far more distinct and easily recognizable. Could have been better but it is a style swap. The Keystone State now has a keystone on its flag.

ATL Flag of South Carolina.png

Poor South Carolina loses its distinctive Crescent and Palmetto Tree to become another Blue Sheet with Seal. Such is life.