What Would Movies in a Monarchy-Dominated World Look Like?

Inspired by the threads about Egyptian or Norse or Aztec horror media, I was wondering how the medium of film would be affected in a predominantly monarchist world? And to clarify, by monarchies I mean "stable, liberal monarchies". In a genre of action movies, a lot of the plot centers around the US government/president (Independence Day, White House Down, Olympus Has Fallen, etc) and someone/something causing chaos. The US sees off the threat and restores stability, although in some instances (particularly older flicks) the opponent is the Communist Russians or the Chinese; Nazis are also always good for a bogeyman. But usually, the victory is on the side of "truth, justice and democracy".

But how would this genre of film be affected where monarchies are the dominant form of government - naturally some monarchies might have more power than others, but it's hard to imagine the Holy Roman Emperor (for instance) being spoken of in a similar grandiose way as "leader of the free world" when whoever fills the role of the "villain" is likewise a monarch, and could (theoretically) likewise claim the title.

PS: Please don't ban/kick me.

If these are British or Japanese style monarchies then not much changes and role of leader in political fiction is played by some fictional prime minister/chancellor.

If the monarchial government would support such films like the US government does they would obviously also take at least the same amount of influence. So imperial german or royal french movies would work the same like american movies but the whole God, Fatherland, freedom, democracy and justice is replaced by God, Fatherland, freedom, Kaiser/Roi and justice.

The bad guys might be one of various stripe of republican*, or a pretender, or possibly someone who wants to turn the current monarch into a puppet.

*which, if said monarchical country is very conservative and traditional, probably includes communists, anarchists, and other types of leftists

Maybe an attack on the reigning Monarch or their home is seen as too provocative and having one depicted in movies outside of a historical context is seen unfavorably at best and radical at worse.

You can totally have movies where people are fighting for "truth, justice, and democracy" in liberal monarchies. The presence of a monarchy or a republic isn't really an indicator of whether a country has democratic values.

Edit:
Think about this in more detail, the movies themselves with be different but some themes are universal while other arise from the hopes and fears of the people.

Unless factors such as war, diplomacy, domestic unrest, and philosophy are drastically different we could have similar movie phases. Optimistic views for the future, the struggle of people and the nation during hard times, the disturbance in society with modernization, the struggle between individuality and social expectations, etc.

Last edited:
If the monarchial government would support such films like the US government does they would obviously also take at least the same amount of influence. So imperial german or royal french movies would work the same like american movies but the whole God, Fatherland, freedom, democracy and justice is replaced by God, Fatherland, freedom, Kaiser/Roi and justice.

Couldn't that be turned back on the monarchy and called propaganda though? I agree with the idea, but it sounds like something that in OTL would be call propaganda or brainwashing.

Maybe an attack on the reigning Monarch or their home is seen as too provocative and having one depicted in movies outside of a historical context is seen unfavorably at best and radical at worse.

Well with the premiere of Verdi's Un Ballo in Maschera (which plays off in Sweden in the original), the Savoyard government felt that the concept of showing a king being shot on stage was too inflammatory, so Verdi had to move the setting from Stockholm to Virginia, and make the king a mere governor instead. Despite the fact that Gustaf III (on whose assassination it is based) had nothing to do with Italy (and the era in which this happened IRL was during a decade where Gustaf wasn't the only king to be killed).

You can totally have movies where people are fighting for "truth, justice, and democracy" in liberal monarchies. The presence of a monarchy or a republic isn't really an indicator of whether a country has democratic values.

This is true.

Couldn't that be turned back on the monarchy and called propaganda though? I agree with the idea, but it sounds like something that in OTL would be call propaganda or brainwashing.
I don't want to come into chat territory and apologize if I do but the departement of defense of the US funds movies and/or lends them soldiers and military equipment. And without a doubt these movies are not overly critical of the US military otherwise they wouldn't support them. You could call these movies propaganda movies but I think this is only done rarely in the US or is it widespread there to call the Transformers movie franchise US military propaganda/brainwashing (I'm using your words)? The lesson here is that propaganda from home is rarely called out. So as long as the citizens of the alternate royal state in question are as patriotic as Americans they wouldn't mind or even realise.

Here's an article from the Government itself about the relationship.

I don't want to come into chat territory and apologize if I do but the departement of defense of the US funds movies and/or lends them soldiers and military equipment. And without a doubt these movies are not overly critical of the US military otherwise they wouldn't support them. You could call these movies propaganda movies but I think this is only done rarely in the US or is it widespread there to call the Transformers movie franchise US military propaganda/brainwashing (I'm using your words)? The lesson here is that propaganda from home is rarely called out. So as long as the citizens of the alternate royal state in question are as patriotic as Americans they wouldn't mind or even realise.

Here's an article from the Government itself about the relationship.

Would a monarchy allow their military to do this though? I mean, it would essentially give the military a means of "private" funding that could lead to it operating independently of the government.

In the US, while the president has often served or is referred to as "commander in chief", his role isn't (essentially) a military one. European kings (the emperor, England, France, that I know of) OTOH get presented with a sword AND spurs at their coronation, clearly delineating that in addition to ruling, the first of their roles IS a military one.

VVD0D95

Banned
Would a monarchy allow their military to do this though? I mean, it would essentially give the military a means of "private" funding that could lead to it operating independently of the government.

In the US, while the president has often served or is referred to as "commander in chief", his role isn't (essentially) a military one. European kings (the emperor, England, France, that I know of) OTOH get presented with a sword AND spurs at their coronation, clearly delineating that in addition to ruling, the first of their roles IS a military one.
Could they not argue that as they’re head of the armed forces they’re the ones benefiting from it? As if it portrays the military well it by default shows them as good also

Could they not argue that as they’re head of the armed forces they’re the ones benefiting from it? As if it portrays the military well it by default shows them as good also

I'm not sure. Most action flicks where the president is involved shows the head of state in a passive role and it's up to the hero to save them, then be graciously rewarded and return to normal life afterwards (à la Coriolanus).

There could be objections to showing the monarch in such a light, no?

VVD0D95

Banned
I'm not sure. Most action flicks where the president is involved shows the head of state in a passive role and it's up to the hero to save them, then be graciously rewarded and return to normal life afterwards (à la Coriolanus).

There could be objections to showing the monarch in such a light, no?
There could be but it could also be spun as showing how devoted the military is that they’re willing to go through x y or z for their king or queen

There could be but it could also be spun as showing how devoted the military is that they’re willing to go through x y or z for their king or queen

Especially if (like in some action movies) the hero puts "saving" the president above his own scruples of not "supporting" that candidate. For instance, White House Down (which I'm using as an example simply because I watched it last night), Channing Tatum is ex-military but saves the pacifistic president who he admits "I didn't vote for you" against the more militaristic "villains" who in theory, he'd have more in common with.

VVD0D95

Banned
Especially if (like in some action movies) the hero puts "saving" the president above his own scruples of not "supporting" that candidate. For instance, White House Down (which I'm using as an example simply because I watched it last night), Channing Tatum is ex-military but saves the pacifistic president who he admits "I didn't vote for you" against the more militaristic "villains" who in theory, he'd have more in common with.

Exactly

I am thinking Space Opera would be big in later years. Imagine something like this for the beginning of alt Star Wars. "Darkness descends on the Galaxy as the ancient Empire is overthrown by the Galactic Republic, a group of corrupt officials desiring power for themselves. However, a resistance movement, led by the Jedi Knights continues to wage war on the edges of the republic. Rumors of a lost heir to the throne are being investigated by Citizen Inspector Vader. Meanwhile, on a small desert like world...."

Inspired by the threads about Egyptian or Norse or Aztec horror media, I was wondering how the medium of film would be affected in a predominantly monarchist world? And to clarify, by monarchies I mean "stable, liberal monarchies".

To clarify your clarification, by "liberal monarchies" do you mean figurehead monarchies like the UK, or do you mean an actual monarchy which doesn't oppress its citizens? If the former, then I don't think much would change, except that instead of the President you'd have either the King or the Prime Minister, depending on which is more appropriate for the story.

If that sort of thing isn't a worry in republican states, I don't see why it would be any more worrisome in a monarchy.

Also, I don't think the army actually gets money from these sorts of movies. They're in it for the PR benefits, not for financial gain.

Movies in a monarchy dominated world EXISTED. Before 1917, movies were around (since end of 1890s)... and world was dominated by monarchies. Ukogbai. German Empire. Austro-Hungarian Empire. Russian Empire. Osman Empire. Kingdom of Italy.

What were acceptable storylines in films actually published in German Empire? Habsburg Empire? Romanov Empire? Osman Empire? Kingdom of Italy?

Sargon

Donor
Monthly Donor
Maybe you get a film where the monarch foils a takeover and boots Gary Oldman off their plane with a pithy line.

Sargon