The NextGen OTL Worlda Series

1592015351983.png

also, here's a rough of what germany would look with the subdivisions.
It's from a 6 year old map (fuck me was 2014 that long ago?), so it's definitely not the most accurate map ever produced, but it's something.

Question regarding one of the new mapping conventions;

In the 1914 map, there are white patches in British East Africa and Angola, as well as in China. I had assumed they referred to some kind of rebellion, but they don't have the traditional red outline which can be seen in other areas, particularly that small area in northern Angola and in the Dervish State, as well as in Libya. So I'm wondering what the white areas are supposed to denote.

In the 1914 map, there are white patches in British East Africa and Angola, as well as in China. I had assumed they referred to some kind of rebellion, but they don't have the traditional red outline which can be seen in other areas, particularly that small area in northern Angola and in the Dervish State, as well as in Libya. So I'm wondering what the white areas are supposed to denote.

I'm wondering if they represent native-controlled areas that aren't actually in rebellion, but just haven't been properly taken over by the colonising power yet.

The white area in China was added by myself, and indicates small Tibetan chiefdoms and kingdoms that were not under the effective authority of either Ganden Phodrang or the Chinese.

The African areas are most likely regions that were simply not under European rule, and so serve a broadly similar function to the white area in China.

Here's a proposal to be added to the color scheme to make them more fluid:
240, 240, 240: Nations not represented with any color shown
255, 0, 0: Nations that are de jure independent

This is very interesting. Do you have a map source for this?
Here's one I made myself (you might notice that it differs from the worlda, this is because I have more information now):
1592428969898.png

(the lines elsewhere are because this is actually work I'm doing for Ainsley Blyat's gigamap project)

Aurantiacis

Gone Fishin'
Here's one I made myself (you might notice that it differs from the worlda, this is because I have more information now):
View attachment 557730

(the lines elsewhere are because this is actually work I'm doing for Ainsley Blyat's gigamap project)

I’m honestly very impressed how there manages to be enough information for one to make that (despite the overall Tibetan region being a pretty notoriously spotty region for history). Are these in anyway related to the chieftain tusi that were semi-autonomous from the central Qing government?

I’m honestly very impressed how there manages to be enough information for one to make that (despite the overall Tibetan region being a pretty notoriously spotty region for history). Are these in anyway related to the chieftain tusi that were semi-autonomous from the central Qing government?
They are the same thing, yes.

The white area in China was added by myself, and indicates small Tibetan chiefdoms and kingdoms that were not under the effective authority of either Ganden Phodrang or the Chinese.

The African areas are most likely regions that were simply not under European rule, and so serve a broadly similar function to the white area in China.

Right.

In that case is it really worth showing these areas at all?