Les Années Douces, a very different XXth century

I find it fascinating that Gallicanism resurfaced in this timeline, though in the 19th century.

This week's journal has arrived ! The trivia is about the State of Dahomey.

Very cool that they have a female prime minister already in the 1940s.

On an unrelated note, do you guys think it would be a good idea to do some News pages too sometimes ? If something big happens ? Instead of only cultural trivias, in order to make the timeline more lively ?

You could try to develop some, if it's not a hassle.

Last edited:
Very interesting.

Did the Romanovs marry into an existing Serbian royal family (in which case, Karađorđević or Obrenović?) or was it something different? If they did marry in, when? Before or after fleeing Russia?

Also, a note on Monarchs' names: Are these some sort of English transliteration, though then why wouldn't Ioann be John or Ivan? If these are meant to be the names used by their Serbian subject i have some nitpicks. Helelna exists in Serbian but Jelena is more common still though, there's nothing wrong with it, it's the king that I have questions about. Why doesn't the King Consort, Ioann, go by Ivan or Jovan. I know that Russian czars have used the Greek spelling in the past, but IDK whether the Serbs would. It was common IOTL for foreign-born royal consorts or monarchs to change their name to the local variant. So, yeah, there is that, but those are minor details and maybe things are just different ITTL.

Other than that, I'm loving the relatively blessed Serbia. It's big, but not oppressive, and minority rights seem decent unless this article is biased in some way. The decentralization seems to indicate that regional rights are actually being respected though. Sarajevo as a second city and intellectual center kind of fits nicely. Using the endonym Beograd rather than the exonym Belgrade is also a very nice touch.

Were non-Serbs excluded from attaining higher political offices legally before or just due to social prejudices like viewing Bosniaks as "more akin to Turks" on account of them being Muslim, or was it just because there wasn't a lot of non-Serbs other than Macedonians prior to the Treaty of Neuchatel (TTLs Versailles I assume)?

How are the Macedonians treated?

All in all, great article.
Princess Jelena was the daughter of Peter Karadordevic I of Serbia. After the incident that pushed Peter I to disinherit his first son OTL, he realized that his second son wouldn't be the monarch Serbia needed either, so he picked the third option: he changed the succession laws, allowing women and men to inherit on equal footing. As such, Jelena, the older sister, inherited of Serbia. Her husband is her OTL husband, Prince John/Ivan/Ioann Konstantinovitch, she married him before becoming Queen or them fleeing Russia, and OTL he was one of the Romanovs murdered by the Bolcheviks (here's a link to her wiki page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princess_Helen_of_Serbia ).

I'm actually curious about the spelling though: I honestly just typed "Helen" because her French translation is Hélène and went from here, and used her husband's French wikipedia page spelling XD. Is there an alternative spelling you'd suggest for them ? Jelena would be consistant with the use of Beograd, but Helena would be more palatable to an Anglophone audience, wouldn't it ? As for her husband, I am completely uncultured when it comes to Russia, or its language, I must admit.

Hmmmm, the article is mostly right, even though La Voix is quite pro-Entente and pro-Chancellerie. Minorities are well treated by the governement, but there's still a voice for bigots in the right-wing political discourse in Serbia. The first non-Bosniak PM being elected only now mostly arises from the fact that until the Labor Party achieved majority, the Assembly majorities were afraid of alienating their voting base by nominating a non-Serb. So it wasn't forbidden, things just didn't align this way until the 1940s

Neuchâtel was the peace concluded between the Entente and Austria-Hungary, so it's like Saint-German and Trianon. WW1 ended differently: basically, Austria-Hungary renounced the war in 1917 because Emperor Karl realized the Empire wouldn't last much longer if the war didn't end soon for AH. Germany still resisted until summer 1918, so the Russian Empire collapsed in April.

Macedonians are ... doing ok, the monarchy is aware that some Macedonians don't feel that Serbian at all, but they don't really understand it, so they will be very adamant that they respect the Macedonian identity but don't really get how to accomodate it. It'd be a bit like a Grandma realizing being transphobic is bad but still saying offensive and/or stupid stuff because she's still very ignorant on the subject and doesn't want to admit it.

Thanks for the answer. All of this is very interesting. :)

Princess Jelena was the daughter of Peter Karadordevic I of Serbia. After the incident that pushed Peter I to disinherit his first son OTL, he realized that his second son wouldn't be the monarch Serbia needed either, so he picked the third option: he changed the succession laws, allowing women and men to inherit on equal footing. As such, Jelena, the older sister, inherited of Serbia. Her husband is her OTL husband, Prince John/Ivan/Ioann Konstantinovitch, she married him before becoming Queen or them fleeing Russia, and OTL he was one of the Romanovs murdered by the Bolcheviks (here's a link to her wiki page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princess_Helen_of_Serbia ).

Right, that makes sense. I knew there was a marriage to the Romanovs at some point, I just couldn't remember (or find) whether her name was Jelena/Helena.

I'm actually curious about the spelling though: I honestly just typed "Helen" because her French translation is Hélène and went from here, and used her husband's French wikipedia page spelling XD. Is there an alternative spelling you'd suggest for them ? Jelena would be consistant with the use of Beograd, but Helena would be more palatable to an Anglophone audience, wouldn't it ? As for her husband, I am completely uncultured when it comes to Russia, or its language, I must admit.

Helen or Helena works just fine IMO, and from what I've seen she was actually born Helena (so I guess I was wrong, sorry), which, like I said, is a less common alternative to Jelena in Serbian.

For Ioann, I'd say Ivan would work perfectly. First of all, it's used in both Russian and Serbian. While his birth name was Ioann, he would likely be referred to as Ivan by his subjects and may take on the local spelling as many foreign-born consorts do. Ofc that's just my take on it.

Hmmmm, the article is mostly right, even though La Voix is quite pro-Entente and pro-Chancellerie.

That's what I thought. I doubt a North American Francophone newspaper would have a pro-Serbian bias.

Minorities are well treated by the governement, but there's still a voice for bigots in the right-wing political discourse in Serbia. The first non-Bosniak PM being elected only now mostly arises from the fact that until the Labor Party achieved majority, the Assembly majorities were afraid of alienating their voting base by nominating a non-Serb. So it wasn't forbidden, things just didn't align this way until the 1940s

Ah so it's just a matter of nobody bothering to field a minority candidate. That's a relief. As for the right wing, I'd imagine that's still pretty in 1942, especially in an Eastern European monarchy.

You mentioned a Labor Party. What political parties are there in TTLs Serbia? I'd imagine that the Radicals are still around in the '40s as a major center-right party (not šešeljs modern radicals, the old democratic but conservative'leaning ones), are they less of a major force in Helena's Serbia than they were IOTL in the interwar era?

Neuchâtel was the peace concluded between the Entente and Austria-Hungary, so it's like Saint-German and Trianon. WW1 ended differently: basically, Austria-Hungary renounced the war in 1917 because Emperor Karl realized the Empire wouldn't last much longer if the war didn't end soon for AH. Germany still resisted until summer 1918, so the Russian Empire collapsed in April.

Ok. Makes sense. I assume that's why they maintained control of much of Vojvodina and, you know, still exist post war. Is Croatia also independent (my guess is yes)? What about Czechia, Slovenia and Slovakia? I expect at least that Slovenia isn't given the empire's more favorable treatment.

Macedonians are ... doing ok, the monarchy is aware that some Macedonians don't feel that Serbian at all, but they don't really understand it, so they will be very adamant that they respect the Macedonian identity but don't really get how to accomodate it. It'd be a bit like a Grandma realizing being transphobic is bad but still saying offensive and/or stupid stuff because she's still very ignorant on the subject and doesn't want to admit it.

That seems like a pretty realistic stance. Are they trying to break away or do they just want the autonomy that Bosnia and Montenegro have?

Mina, I just want to say, I really like the alternate 20th century you're slowly constructing here. The quality of writing and the stylistics are really high here, but without things being too reliant on the visual "bells and whistles", as they say. I think it's high praise when the "familiar, but definitely quite different in several things" undertone of this ATL reminds me of the likes of EdT's Fight and Be Right from a decade ago. Well done. :)

Also, former French colonies in Africa sure loved creating confederations in this timeline. :)

I do have a question: Is the ATL Chancellery similar in terminological origin to the likes of the British "Foreign and Commonwealth Office" (the ministry of foreign affairs and the British Commonwealth) ? And several European languages do use a variation on chancellery to mean "office" or "bureau". I should know, my own mother tongue uses kancelária as the common term for "office". :)

The Balkans..as a stable region? What utter madness is this universe lol.

Jk this might be a favorite entry yet. The Romanovs survive and get "adopted" by the Serbs - honestly really wholesome compared to OTL.

Thanks for the answer. All of this is very interesting. :)

Right, that makes sense. I knew there was a marriage to the Romanovs at some point, I just couldn't remember (or find) whether her name was Jelena/Helena.
Helen or Helena works just fine IMO, and from what I've seen she was actually born Helena (so I guess I was wrong, sorry), which, like I said, is a less common alternative to Jelena in Serbian.
For Ioann, I'd say Ivan would work perfectly. First of all, it's used in both Russian and Serbian. While his birth name was Ioann, he would likely be referred to as Ivan by his subjects and may take on the local spelling as many foreign-born consorts do. Ofc that's just my take on it.
Thank you very much, I'm happy to have the input of a Serbian person for Serbian-related linguistic decisions ^^ I will tweak my article and upload the new better version ^^ I know I also found picture of her by typing Jelena of Serbia, and her wikipedia picture is actually filed under "Yelena of Serbia" so I guess spellings just vary, especially as she was consort duchess in Russia.

Ah so it's just a matter of nobody bothering to field a minority candidate. That's a relief. As for the right wing, I'd imagine that's still pretty in 1942, especially in an Eastern European monarchy.

You mentioned a Labor Party. What political parties are there in TTLs Serbia? I'd imagine that the Radicals are still around in the '40s as a major center-right party (not šešeljs modern radicals, the old democratic but conservative'leaning ones), are they less of a major force in Helena's Serbia than they were IOTL in the interwar era?
Pretty much, it's still the 40s after all, even Chancellerie-leading France has a big reactionary party in its Parliament, so Serbia isn't an exception. I didn't really research the political parties to be honest, I needed a central democrat name for the Prime Minister so I used the moderate communist head of the Centrumasi faction as a Prime Minister for the Labor Party, and the Bosniak President of Parliament was a writer OTL. You have the Agrarian Party, that was a Bosniak party but broadened its audience to other minorities, but it's allied to the Labor Party, and then you have diverse right-wing parties that probably includes the Radicals. The politics of this Serbia must be so different to both pre-WWI Serbia and Yugoslavia's that I prefered focusing on the overall structure than the parties.

Ok. Makes sense. I assume that's why they maintained control of much of Vojvodina and, you know, still exist post war. Is Croatia also independent (my guess is yes)? What about Czechia, Slovenia and Slovakia? I expect at least that Slovenia isn't given the empire's more favorable treatment.
Well, they gave up the areas with overwhelming Bosniak, Serbian of Montenegrine majority to Serbia, which includes Vojvodina (I forgot to show it on the map, but all of Novi Pasar is also included in Serbia, despite being partially on the other bank of the Danube). And there are agreements between states in the Balkans to treat each others' minority decently.

Croatia isn't independent, it's part of this wibbly wobbly statey crowney stuff that is the Austrian Empire. Slovenia, Hungary, Czechia, Slovakia too ... I'm not entirely sure about how the whole thing organizes itself, but it's not the civil war-ridden hell it could've been without a ruler that actually cared about the well being of the Empire.

I'm wondering about a pro-Dualism monarch getting deposed and replaced by the Hohenbergs (Franz-Ferdinand's kids), either by coup or referendum (or coup-induced referendum, who knows ?)

That seems like a pretty realistic stance. Are they trying to break away or do they just want the autonomy that Bosnia and Montenegro have?
They're not attempting to be independent, but they do insist on getting at least some autonomy from the State of Serbia, if they don't get to be a fourth part of the kingdom in their own right.

Mina, I just want to say, I really like the alternate 20th century you're slowly constructing here. The quality of writing and the stylistics are really high here, but without things being too reliant on the visual "bells and whistles", as they say. I think it's high praise when the "familiar, but definitely quite different in several things" undertone of this ATL reminds me of the likes of EdT's Fight and Be Right from a decade ago. Well done. :)

Also, former French colonies in Africa sure loved creating confederations in this timeline. :)

I do have a question: Is the ATL Chancellery similar in terminological origin to the likes of the British "Foreign and Commonwealth Office" (the ministry of foreign affairs and the British Commonwealth) ? And several European languages do use a variation on chancellery to mean "office" or "bureau". I should know, my own mother tongue uses kancelária as the common term for "office". :)
Thank you very much ^-^ I am glad I can get a result that other people enjoy too !

It is a bit similar, in the way that the term Chancellerie was at first only meant to refer to the governement of the alliance, and not the alliance in itself. The problem of a name that wouldn't center around France was never quite resolved and most instances and diplomats just went with Chancellerie: it'd be like having the Commonwealth being named "Whitehall Office" because they couldn't agree on a proper name. In France a Chancellier is a medieval term for the person in charge of diplomacy, so I guess there's a common origin that must mean "place for written correspondance and negociation" or something of that kind.

The Balkans..as a stable region? What utter madness is this universe lol.

Jk this might be a favorite entry yet. The Romanovs survive and get "adopted" by the Serbs - honestly really wholesome compared to OTL.
I was trying to follow up with the joke, but written sarcasm is a difficult thing to pull off correctly, especially for a person who is used to displaying theatrical amounts of body language and intonations ^^'

I usually aim at "better but still realistic" when I write TLs. Other people pull off grimdark better than I do, and I wouldn't have fun writing it. If it can give my readers the "Aaaw"s sometimes, all the better ^^

I'm gonna have to stop this back-and-forth stuff, but I can't help asking questions.

Thank you very much, I'm happy to have the input of a Serbian person for Serbian-related linguistic decisions ^^ I will tweak my article and upload the new better version ^^ I know I also found picture of her by typing Jelena of Serbia, and her wikipedia picture is actually filed under "Yelena of Serbia" so I guess spellings just vary, especially as she was consort duchess in Russia.

I'm happy to help, though I am always a little worried that I'll forget something, be wrong, and embarrass myself (but I think that that's just Social Anxiety). As for the name, I think that makes sense.

Pretty much, it's still the 40s after all, even Chancellerie-leading France has a big reactionary party in its Parliament, so Serbia isn't an exception. I didn't really research the political parties to be honest, I needed a central democrat name for the Prime Minister so I used the moderate communist head of the Centrumasi faction as a Prime Minister for the Labor Party, and the Bosniak President of Parliament was a writer OTL. You have the Agrarian Party, that was a Bosniak party but broadened its audience to other minorities, but it's allied to the Labor Party, and then you have diverse right-wing parties that probably includes the Radicals. The politics of this Serbia must be so different to both pre-WWI Serbia and Yugoslavia's that I prefered focusing on the overall structure than the parties.

Honestly, that works just fine. We find out more about the world from the general stance of the parties than from knowing their specific names and all that.

Well, they gave up the areas with overwhelming Bosniak, Serbian of Montenegrine majority to Serbia, which includes Vojvodina (I forgot to show it on the map, but all of Novi Pasar is also included in Serbia, despite being partially on the other bank of the Danube). And there are agreements between states in the Balkans to treat each others' minority decently.

Novi Pazar or Novi Sad? Because Novi Pazar is on the border with Montenegro and the region around it is definitely included on the map, whereas Novi Sad is a major city in Vojvodina located north of the Danube.

Croatia isn't independent, it's part of this wibbly wobbly statey crowney stuff that is the Austrian Empire. Slovenia, Hungary, Czechia, Slovakia too ... I'm not entirely sure about how the whole thing organizes itself, but it's not the civil war-ridden hell it could've been without a ruler that actually cared about the well being of the Empire.

I'm wondering about a pro-Dualism monarch getting deposed and replaced by the Hohenbergs (Franz-Ferdinand's kids), either by coup or referendum (or coup-induced referendum, who knows ?)

Ooh, sounds fun. I think I like the sound of a trialist/federalist coup. I'd imagine that if they've held onto all that land, I'd imagine them eventually granting greater than OTL levels of autonomy to Croatia and Bohemia (including Moravia ofc). I'd imagine that when the Dualists are deposed, these two would become kingdoms in their own right, while OTL Slovakia remains a part of Hungary and Slovenia (including Istria) remains a part of Austria.

Speaking of Austria-Hungary, what happens to Galicia, Transylvania, and Bukovina?

[edit: also, do any of these regions in the empire WANT to leave?]

They're not attempting to be independent, but they do insist on getting at least some autonomy from the State of Serbia, if they don't get to be a fourth part of the kingdom in their own right.

That's what I thought. Very nice. Gotta get those many different layers of autonomy.

I usually aim at "better but still realistic" when I write TLs. Other people pull off grimdark better than I do, and I wouldn't have fun writing it. If it can give my readers the "Aaaw"s sometimes, all the better ^^

I really appreciate the plausible blessedness of this world, though there are some things I'd consider cursed, nothing is as cursed as it could be and most things are significantly better than IOTL. It's nice. Kind of like how a lot of people have been mentioning that they want to move to the world of The Anglo-Saxon Social model, TTL seems like a good place to move to.

I'm gonna have to stop this back-and-forth stuff, but I can't help asking questions.

I'm happy to help, though I am always a little worried that I'll forget something, be wrong, and embarrass myself (but I think that that's just Social Anxiety). As for the name, I think that makes sense.

Yeah, this sort of back-and-forth can be pretty difficult and stressful to sustain. It doesn't make me anxious, because this TL is a sort of safe mental space for me, but I definitely understand. I'm glad you could overcome your SA to participate ^^ I'll have to wait a bit to makes the changes tho: I just sent my laptop to the a yearly checkup/cleaning and forgot to upload the corrected article.

Novi Pazar or Novi Sad? Because Novi Pazar is on the border with Montenegro and the region around it is definitely included on the map, whereas Novi Sad is a major city in Vojvodina located north of the Danube.

Ooh, sounds fun. I think I like the sound of a trialist/federalist coup. I'd imagine that if they've held onto all that land, I'd imagine them eventually granting greater than OTL levels of autonomy to Croatia and Bohemia (including Moravia ofc). I'd imagine that when the Dualists are deposed, these two would become kingdoms in their own right, while OTL Slovakia remains a part of Hungary and Slovenia (including Istria) remains a part of Austria.

Speaking of Austria-Hungary, what happens to Galicia, Transylvania, and Bukovina?

[edit: also, do any of these regions in the empire WANT to leave?]
Oh, dummy me, I meant Novi Sad! It's the only part of Serbia North of the Danube, the rest was deemed "not Serbian enough" based on Austrian census to be handed to Serbia entirely.

Istria was actually awarded to Italy, as a "prize" for joining the Entente, at the condition they'd give it autonomy and would renounce Dalmatia definitively. Galicia-Lodomeria was made a republic, and one treaty after another they grabbed Russian bits of Poland, and then Prussian parts (and fused with Lithuania because the Entente had no idea how to trace the Polish borders). Romania never joined the World War, so Transylvania is still in Hungarian hands.

If we go the Federalist coup route, I could imagine Hungarian nationalists saying "let's go NOW, before they steal Slovakia and Transylvania too". Other than that? I don't think so: Austria is doing fine so pangermanism isn't big anymore, Czechia has been linked to Austria for a long time and there'd be a semi-Czech on the throne, Croatia is experiencing an economic boom as the Hapsburgs' only sea access, and Slovenians know a war of independence isn't in the cards.

(PS: sorry if you received this answer unfinished, I missclicked on preview)

Last edited:
Hey, I don't have access to my laptop anymore for a couple days/weeks, so I'm going to work on getting you, dear readers, a coherent and interesting China. I make an oath not to recycle Kaiserreich too much, and to have a smart reason for each thing that resembles Kaiserreich, because I really want to make something original.

Sooooo, as a sneak peek, in spoilers for the people who'd rather have a complete surprise, I present you the list of countries/territorial entities and their capital in the Chinese subcontinent:

Sacred Union of Tibet and Bhutan (Lhassa and Punakha)
"Republic" of Sinkiang (Urumqi)
Kingdom of Mongolia (Ulanbatar)
Kingdom of Yunnan (Kunming)
Hakka Clique (Meizhou)
Canton Republic (Guangzhou)
Hainanese Republic (Qiongshan)
People's Republic of the Min Coast (Fujian)
The International Settlements (Shanghai, unofficial)
Kingdom of Manchuria (Beijing)
The Republic of the Two Rivers aka Liangchuan (Nanjing)
Kingdom of Korea (Hanseong)
Vladivostok Free City (Vladivostok)

Last edited:
I posted a provisional world map on the Map Thread, I'm having a bit of trouble as of late to follow my usual article format, so I guess this'll be a bit of content until I get back to my usual format, many thanks to all of you for following my work!

Hey, I'm honestly feeling kinda sad saying this but ... I don't think I can go any further with this TL.

I'm going to go from the incredibly easy highschool years to one of the hardest post-highschool study available in my country, so it goes without saying I won't be able to continue working on this TL. It's been really awesome making it and talking about it with all of you who followed it, thank you very very much everyone!

Maybe, if someone is interested, I could send them my gimp files and my notes, if someone would like to see this TL continue, I know I would love to see what someone else can do to develop this universe :)

I loved working on this world, and I am thankful that I got to share it with others! I would've loved to share with you the articles I was working on (a presentation of Portugal, one of Yunnan and one of Rhodesia) but my computer charger died and I won't get one before the school year starts ... just bad luck.

Hey, I'm honestly feeling kinda sad saying this but ... I don't think I can go any further with this TL.

I'm going to go from the incredibly easy highschool years to one of the hardest post-highschool study available in my country, so it goes without saying I won't be able to continue working on this TL. It's been really awesome making it and talking about it with all of you who followed it, thank you very very much everyone!

Maybe, if someone is interested, I could send them my gimp files and my notes, if someone would like to see this TL continue, I know I would love to see what someone else can do to develop this universe :)

I loved working on this world, and I am thankful that I got to share it with others! I would've loved to share with you the articles I was working on (a presentation of Portugal, one of Yunnan and one of Rhodesia) but my computer charger died and I won't get one before the school year starts ... just bad luck.

It's been a great TL to read. Thank you for sharing it with us!

I recommend uploading your notes for TTL once you have a working charger and then turning it into a collaborative project (with you as the head and decider of canon) like @False Dmitri 's Affiliated States of Boreoamerica.

So I'm going to type things region-by-region to make it more digestible, here is my notes for Western Europe:

Ireland: the whole Island is under the State of Ireland, a Dominion that refused to crown the young Margaret of Windsor as their princess (feeling insulted by the fact that the Monarchy "deemed it acceptable to force a British child on an Irish throne") and is thus the only Dominion to not be a Kingdom. Since the Longest Thursday crisis began, many Irish Americans have arrived, repopulating the island and bringing new ideas to the island. The two main parties are the Socialist Party of Ireland (secular, left to far-left, pro-autarky) and the Catholic Liberals (center to right, pro free trade, big support among Irish-Americans).

Portugal : Portugal has been submitted to the plight of the Military Government, that killed democracy in the egg. They were defeated during the Queluz Coup, where a plot including figurehead monarch Maria III defeated the MG by killing its Triumvirate in a reunion. Since then, the queen (now Adelaide I from the patron saint of victims of abuse and injustice) has started touring her Empire to meet all the communities she's ruling over, offering a piece of the Portuguese Royal Family's treasures as a symbol of each community's legitimate self rule. This is a compromise with the Republicans. (Also the Queen sparked outrage in Britain by visiting the massive Lusophone community that moved to Rhodesia since the early 20s)

Spain: Spain was torn in a civil war after King Alfonso XIII was shot in 1919 by an Anarchist of the CNT, that led to a small burn victory of the right-wing Liga Patriotica. Elections were held in 1934, where the Liga defeated both the divided monarchists and the weak Social-Democrats, seeing Pilar Primo de Rivera triumph as a more "democratic" face of the Liga.
Today Spain is a "Carlism-tinged Republic" to quote pretender Juan III. While seemingly true, this affirmation overpasses the fundamental element of the current government: it is very determined to remain under Republican institutions. Current president Pilar Primo de Rivera is the democratic face of her brother's Liga Patriotica, and walks the thin line between presidentialism and dictatorship.
The country is currently being rebuilt, after the devastations of the Civil War, and the Liga is using its mask of democracy and welfare, as well as his President's personal popularity, to stay in power and shape the Spanish idea of a democracy, for better or worse.

Switzerland: a strong Romand-Alemanic divide cristallized by the issue of feminine suffrage is crippling the Federal institutions, as the cantons of Neuchâtel, Jura, Vaud and Genève have all given at least partial access to the ballot box for women.
The banking sector has taken a serious hit from the French Réformisme and the Anglo-American financial crisis, but the currency reserves of the banks have allowed them to stay afloat and keep the rest of the economy from suffering too much ... for the moment.

Belgium, Netherlands, Italy and Luxembourg: no particular ideas

I'm sorry you won't have more time to write your timeline. That said, it's very well done. I might even nominate it for the upcoming awards.

Once I'll have plenty of time to reread the whole thing this autumn, I definitely will.

I'm sorry you won't have more time to write your timeline. That said, it's very well done. I might even nominate it for the upcoming awards.

Once I'll have plenty of time to reread the whole thing this autumn, I definitely will.
As suggested by @Somebody-Someone it can become a group project, it's not because I'm going to have a lot of work that the TL has to die off. And even if it doesn't happen, I'm really attached to this world and won't let it go paused forever ^^

So, here's a bunch of US politics notes:

Parties (from left to right):
The Socialist Party, the current President Henry Wallace's party. It has a strong base of supporters in mining and industrial regions, a program of desegregation and is pretty overt about what they think should become of private property. However, the Manifesto for American Socialism has made it clear: they don't intend to ban it on a federal level, but won't oppose states doing it.

The Farmer-Labor Party, the rural tandem of the Socialists. They're the party of VP Elmer A. Benson, and are generally seen as the "reasonable Socialists", even though they're closer to OTL Keynisians than anything. They're milder on most points, which allows them to negotiate with the Liberal-Democrats if need be.

The Liberal-Democrats, led by Franklin Delano Roosevelt. They broke away from the Democratic party after the party was taken over by Southern Democrats (most Northern Democrats having fallen in either Republican or Farmer-Labor arms after John Nance Garner's disappointing presidency). The official split happened a few weeks after the soon to be LibDems voted for the Schneiderman-Olson Bill as a sign of disapproval.

The Republicans are the biggest opposition party, they're led by the charismatic Florida Governor Thomas E Dewey. They have benefited from the fracture of the Democratic party. Still, they control neither houses and have lost some key members to the emigrations that followed the Socialist victory. They still control many states, but are often challenged by either the LibDems, the Farmer-Labor or the Socialists. They're program of a "return to normalcy" are seducing to some, but even them do align with the left on some particular social ideas, and Liberal-Republican-Farmer alliances sometimes happen in some Southern counties.

The Democratic Party, losing in significance and slowly becoming a parody of their former self. The Party has taken a strong conservative turn under the leadership of Fielding Lewis Wright. Even in the South, their stronghold, they slowly lose votes to LibDems where they don't ally with either the Left or the Republicans.

Also: there's an impending Supreme Court decision of very high stakes: the state of Nevada, under Socialist (and pretty populist) governor Joseph Capaldi has decided to outlaw private property, mostly as a cash-grab on mining operations, triggering the McCarran VS the state of Nevada case. Through cunning interventions from the only Socialist-leaning Supreme Court judge Wayne M Collins, the Supreme Court is now cornered: either they repeal the Dred-Scott decision that prevents any Supreme Court trial under the motive of human rights for black people, or they admit that States can ban private property as long as they keep personal property. (Basically Dred-Scott decision stated that since the founding fathers didn't intend for black people to be included in the human rights of the constitution, black people didn't receive any constitutional protection. It was argued that the idea of personal property as an alternative to private property was codified in the US in the 1920s only so they couldn't have intended to ban this alternative. In such a situation, either the Dred-Scott decision must be overturned or Nevada wins the case)

Last edited: