Hail, Britannia

Deleted member 148162

rd293tC.png

Columbia is a federal dominion of nine provinces, all of which are self-governing and share sovereignty with the federal government. Linguistically diverse, what is now Columbia was home to some of the earliest European colonies in the Americas, dating back to the early 17th century, alongside several Native American tribes. The modern dominion was formed in 1856 upon the enactment of the Commonwealth of Columbia Act, the united the colonial provinces of New York, New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland, Allegheny and Pennsylvania into a single federal state. In 1862, further negotiations led to the incorporation of Genesee Iroquoia, more commonly known as Genesee, as the country's seventh province. In 1866, New York was partitioned into the modern provinces of Adirondack, Nassouwen and New York City and Long Island, bringing the total number of Columbian provinces to nine.

Under the Commonwealth of Columbia Act, and the later codified Constitution of Columbia, the provinces have plenary legislative power except on matters reserved for the federal or imperial parliaments. Similar to neighbouring Canada, whose constitution is modelled on Columbia's, any change to the division of powers between the federal government and the provinces requires a constitutional amendment, and the provinces have a great deal of power relative to the federal government, with jurisdiction over many public goods such as health care, education, welfare, and intra-provincial transportation. Like subdivisions in other federal dominions, they receive "transfer payments" from the federal government to pay for these, as well as exacting their own taxes.

Columbia is one of the most linguistically diverse dominions, with English and Dutch having official status at the federal level, while French, German, Swedish and the Iroquoian languages are recognised minority languages. The province of Nassouwen is one of two majority Dutch-speaking parts of North America, while Swedish is spoken in small populations throughout New Jersey and Delaware, and Pennsylvania is home to populations of Welsh and Palatine German speakers. Adirondack in the north of the country, is the most linguistically divided province, with an equal three-way split between English, French and Dutch speakers. About a third of the population Genesee Iroquoia speak one of the Iroquoian languages fluently, and the demographics, politics and culture of the province are heavily influenced by Native American history, making it distinct amongst the varied regions of Britain-in-America. Two of Columbia's provinces, Pennsylvania and Maryland, are viceregal palatinates with hereditary viceroys, styled as "Duke and Lord Governor" in Pennsylvania and "Earl and Palatine" in Maryland. Unlike other large dominions, Columbia is home to no major secessionist movements although there is a movement in Bermuda for the territory to be integrated into Columbia as a province.

5I1R86X.png

zzw4iYe.png

mMo0Gy9.png
rd293tC.png

Columbia is a federal dominion of nine provinces, all of which are self-governing and share sovereignty with the federal government. Linguistically diverse, what is now Columbia was home to some of the earliest European colonies in the Americas, dating back to the early 17th century, alongside several Native American tribes. The modern dominion was formed in 1856 upon the enactment of the Commonwealth of Columbia Act, the united the colonial provinces of New York, New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland, Allegheny and Pennsylvania into a single federal state. In 1862, further negotiations led to the incorporation of Genesee Iroquoia, more commonly known as Genesee, as the country's seventh province. In 1866, New York was partitioned into the modern provinces of Adirondack, Nassouwen and New York City and Long Island, bringing the total number of Columbian provinces to nine.

Under the Commonwealth of Columbia Act, and the later codified Constitution of Columbia, the provinces have plenary legislative power except on matters reserved for the federal or imperial parliaments. Similar to neighbouring Canada, whose constitution is modelled on Columbia's, any change to the division of powers between the federal government and the provinces requires a constitutional amendment, and the provinces have a great deal of power relative to the federal government, with jurisdiction over many public goods such as health care, education, welfare, and intra-provincial transportation. Like subdivisions in other federal dominions, they receive "transfer payments" from the federal government to pay for these, as well as exacting their own taxes.

Columbia is one of the most linguistically diverse dominions, with English and Dutch having official status at the federal level, while French, German, Swedish and the Iroquoian languages are recognised minority languages. The province of Nassouwen is one of two majority Dutch-speaking parts of North America, while Swedish is spoken in small populations throughout New Jersey and Delaware, and Pennsylvania is home to populations of Welsh and Palatine German speakers. Adirondack in the north of the country, is the most linguistically divided province, with an equal three-way split between English, French and Dutch speakers. About a third of the population Genesee Iroquoia speak one of the Iroquoian languages fluently, and the demographics, politics and culture of the province are heavily influenced by Native American history, making it distinct amongst the varied regions of Britain-in-America. Two of Columbia's provinces, Pennsylvania and Maryland, are viceregal palatinates with hereditary viceroys, styled as "Duke and Lord Governor" in Pennsylvania and "Earl and Palatine" in Maryland. Unlike other large dominions, Columbia is home to no major secessionist movements although there is a movement in Bermuda for the territory to be integrated into Columbia as a province.

5I1R86X.png

zzw4iYe.png

mMo0Gy9.png
I'm glad you kept my home Province (Maryland) flag as is. :)

Do the hereditary viceroys of Maryland and Pennsylvania have any political power? Do they belong to any political parties or sit in the Imperial House of Lords?

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
I'm glad you kept my home Province (Maryland) flag as is. :)

If it ain't broke don't fix it :)

How did Baltimore become Maryland's capital?

That's wrong... I don't know why I put it like that. Annapolis is still Maryland's capital.

Is Frederiksberg basically Washington DC?

Yeah pretty much.

Do the hereditary viceroys of Maryland and Pennsylvania have any political power? Do they belong to any political parties or sit in the Imperial House of Lords?

Nope. They are effectively hereditary versions of the OTL Canadian Lt. Governors or Australian Governors.

Politically independent, they do have seats in the Imperial Council of Lords, along with the Prince of Wales, but by convention they are left vacant and do not attend.

Deleted member 78540

rd293tC.png

5I1R86X.png

zzw4iYe.png

mMo0Gy9.png
Love the update! Since OTL Bergen County is Part of New York City (if my map skills are correct) I'd be a New Yorker? I was born in Bergen County.

Love the update! Since OTL Bergen County is Part of New York City (if my map skills are correct) I'd be a New Yorker? I was born in Bergen County.
It is!
So I know a lot of people have been asking about this and wondering what New York City looks like ITTL. I apologise for the delay but I realised that the city would be due an election today (19 August) so I thought it would be good to wait and see the results of that election. On a side note I just want people to know what's coming up over the next week, hopefully I will finish the write up for Virginia and maybe Scotland, Puerto Rico is having an election on Thursday so you will get to see the outcome of that, and a few other bits and pieces including the first four Prime Ministers.

Also I hope you all understand that a lot of the time I tend to go with what interests me at any given moment, I don't have a set plan about what instalments are coming weeks in advance, so please bear with me and I'll eventually get round to as much of this world as possible :)
xeVEnn6.png

Democratic Victory in New York Election

MANHATTAN – The votes have been tallied and the results are in for today's legislative election held in the Empire's largest city. Unsurprisingly the race for Premier in the Second City of the Empire ended with incumbent Bill de Blasio (Democratic) securing a 22 seat lead in the Legislative Council over opposition leader John Chun Liu (Renew New York). Although once again falling short of an overall majority, a spokesman for the Premier said that preliminary discussions with Pieter van Echten (People's Voice) and Christine Quinn (Working Families) about the continuation of the confidence and supply agreements from the previous legislative session had been positive. Negotiations will continue over the comings days, but de Blasio is expected to be sworn in next week.
The City of New York and Long Island, commonly referred to as simply New York, is a province of the Commonwealth of Columbia bordered by Nassouwen to the north, New Jersey to the west, the Atlantic Ocean to the south, and the New England province of Connecticut to the east. New York is often described as a "city-province" consisting of 14 boroughs, each with its own elected Mayor, and is the largest city in the United Empire by population.

Modern day New York was inhabited by the Aboriginal Lenape people prior to the arrival of Europeans. Part of the Algonquian speaking peoples, the Lenape made use of the abundant waterways in the region for fishing, hunting, trade and war. The first European visitor was the Italian Giovanni da Verrazzano, in the employ of the French monarchy, in 1524 but the first permanent colonial settlements came nearly a century later when the Dutch established a fur trading post at the southern tip of Manhattan. The colony would grow quickly, and was granted self government in 1652 as the City of New Amsterdam, capital of the Dutch colony of New Netherland. In 1664 the English conquered the area and renamed it "New York" after the Duke of York, and although the Dutch briefly retook the city in 1673 they ceded it back to England in exchange for what is now Suriname. Despite the English colonial government not actively discriminating against existing Dutch settlers, many chose to resettle in what is now Nassouwen. The City of New York became the largest city and de facto capital of the Colony of New York, and in 1754 the foundations for the modern University of New York were established when Frederick I chartered King's College.

New York was a bastion of Loyalist sentiment during the Colonial Unrest of the 1760s and 1770s, with the 1765 Colonial Congress meeting in the city to protest the Stamp Act and seek redress from the Crown and Parliament. During the 19th century, the city was transformed by immigration and the construction of the Erie Canal, although it escaped the devastation wrought across many parts of Britain-in-America during the Republican Rebellion. The Anglo-American Compromise was signed in the city in 1852, and four years later the Province of New York joined with New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Delaware and Allegheny to form the Commonwealth of Columbia. The rise of the Dutch People's Party in the communities of the Hudson River valley led to the partition of New York in 1866 into four provinces; Nassouwen, Genesee, Adirondack and New York and Long Island; which encompassed the city, it's suburbs and Long Island itself. Throughout the 19th and 20th centuries New York had seen a large influx of immigrants, with the city being the first stop for millions of migrants entering North America, and in 1886 the Statue of Britannia was dedicated in New York Harbour.

Throughout the 20th and into the 21st century, New York has become the largest city in the Empire, emerging as a global hub of the arts, business and environmental sustainability, as well as a symbol of social tolerance and cultural diversity and a hub of the British entertainment industry. However the city and surrounding suffered serious damage and loss of life in the aftermath of the 11 September 2001 attacks when terrorists aligned with Al-Qaeda piloted two planes into the Twin Towers, destroying the World Trade Centre. Despite the destruction caused by the attacks the World Trade Centre has since been rebuilt and New York has remained one of the financial hearts of the Empire, with Wall Street, the New York Stock Exchange and NASDAQ residing in the city's Financial District, aswell as one of the most economically powerful cities in the world and a leading financial centre.

The University of New York (informally New York University and officially the Imperial University in the City of New York) is a collegiate research university located in Manhattan, New York, Columbia. Established in 1754 as King's College (which remains the oldest of the colleges) today the university is made up of a variety of institutions, including 25 constituent colleges (such as King's, Columbia, Valcour, Queen's, Imperial, and Trinity) and a full range of academic departments. Being a city university, it does not have a main campus and instead buildings and facilities are scattered throughout the city. New York is considered one of the best universities in the Empire, often cited as one of the world's most prestigious universities, and is one of the ten colonial colleges chartered in British America during the Colonial period. New York and the University of Fredericksburg are the only collegiate universities in Britain-in-America.

What doesn’t?
Considering in the Wolfenstein the new order Timeline (Alt history video game), New York is nuclear wasteland, OTL New York could be much worst.

Speaking of which Leinad, do you think you do a show, author or culture post to do with Alternate History (TL Man in the High Castle, a Famous alt-history writer get a honour or dying, a historical location that became famous because a alt-history book on it about how things could have gone, etc).

Considering in the Wolfenstein the new order Timeline (Alt history video game), New York is nuclear wasteland, OTL New York could be much worst.

Speaking of which Leinad, do you think you do a show, author or culture post to do with Alternate History (TL Man in the High Castle, a Famous alt-history writer get a honour or dying, a historical location that became famous because a alt-history book on it about how things could have gone, etc).
You misunderstood what I was saying. The person I replied to said that New York looked better in this timeline. I replied ”What doesn’t?”, meaning ”What doesn’t look better in this timeline?”. Instead, you interpreted it incorrectly, thinking I was saying that a New York from any other timeline would be better.

You misunderstood what I was saying. The person I replied to said that New York looked better in this timeline. I replied ”What doesn’t?”, meaning ”What doesn’t look better in this timeline?”. Instead, you interpreted it incorrectly, thinking I was saying that a New York from any other timeline would be better.
Ah my mistake.

You know shouldn’t Greater London be far larger than in OTL due to it being the Center of the dominant superpower for over two centuries, therefore having its economic power funnelled through it.

London in this TL the gateway to the colonies from the rest of UK and Mainland Europe, I.e. stay a few months to earn passage to the colonies (but maybe put down more permanent roots).

I can easily Greater London expanding to the coast in order to handle all the extra temporary migrants and increased industrial output compared to OTL, being the most populous city in the Empire until WW2, where New York would have overtaken it (According to previous post as the most populous city in the Empire).

Really compared OTL Greater London should be massive and probably have hit the 10 million mark before the turn of century.

You know shouldn’t Greater London be far larger than in OTL due to it being the Center of the dominant superpower for over two centuries, therefore having its economic power funnelled through it.

London in this TL the gateway to the colonies from the rest of UK and Mainland Europe, I.e. stay a few months to earn passage to the colonies (but maybe put down more permanent roots).

I can easily Greater London expanding to the coast in order to handle all the extra temporary migrants and increased industrial output compared to OTL, being the most populous city in the Empire until WW2, where New York would have overtaken it (According to previous post as the most populous city in the Empire).

Really compared OTL Greater London should be massive and probably have hit the 10 million mark before the turn of century.

It's also possible that London is much denser. But it is almost certainly more populous.