Map Thread XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.
A map inspired by (that is, not 100% accurate to) this DBWI. It's a world where the Habsburgs apparently managed to crush the Dutch revolt at an early stage (the fact that the imperial capital is Bruges is suggestive) and went on to unify Europe under their rule, while the Ming managed to fight off the Manchus and kept going rather longer, only to collapse so messily that China still hasn't reunited. (Some ideas borrowed from Tormsen's federal China map).

Only Britain has survived as a Protestant power, by becoming a Prussia-style army with a state, and expanding the heck out of its North American colonies, a tail that long ago began to wag the dog. They accepted any Protestant refugees that they could get, until 1890, when the Habsburgs put in place some harsh anti-immigration rules, because 1.) there were waay too many British subjects already and 2.) Europe, aside from the annoying Balkans, had been solidly Catholicized enough by this point that they no longer needed a "safety valve."

The Chinese states have avoided colonization since generations of internal warfare kept their gunpowder army skillz sharp enough to make conquest unpalatable, although the area is a bit backwards by European/north American standards, especially in the more insular north. Even as they seek to increase their own influence in the area, the Russians and Japanese make it a priority to prevent the British or the Habsburgs from establishing any puppets or protectorates in the area, although Guangdong has increasingly become an Area of Interest.

It's a fairly backwards world in several ways, with authoritarian regimes, sexist societies, and oppressive colonialism. Slavery in most places only was eliminated in the 20th century, and still persists in parts of the British and Habsburg empires (although the Habsburgs claim it's not "really" slavery, not being hereditary). Technology is on the backwards side, generally no more advanced than the 1930s, with atomic power so far just being "science fiction stuff." Biological sciences are a bit more advanced, and the recent discovery of the structure of DNA has led to much wild popular speculation. The Habsburgs, with so much of their empire in the tropics, are in particular a leader in tropical medicine and microbiology in general (and, it is rumored, biological warfare research).

ddz351m-55dc5d00-beb9-4220-a120-d01728b2871b.png

A map inspired by (that is, not 100% accurate to) this DBWI. It's a world where the Habsburgs apparently managed to crush the Dutch revolt at an early stage (the fact that the imperial capital is Bruges is suggestive) and went on to unify Europe under their rule, while the Ming managed to fight off the Manchus and kept going rather longer, only to collapse so messily that China still hasn't reunited. (Some ideas borrowed from Tormsen's federal China map).

Only Britain has survived as a Protestant power, by becoming a Prussia-style army with a state, and expanding the heck out of its North American colonies, a tail that long ago began to wag the dog. They accepted any Protestant refugees that they could get, until 1890, when the Habsburgs put in place some harsh anti-immigration rules, because 1.) there were waay too many British subjects already and 2.) Europe, aside from the annoying Balkans, had been solidly Catholicized enough by this point that they no longer needed a "safety valve."

The Chinese states have avoided colonization since generations of internal warfare kept their gunpowder army skillz sharp enough to make conquest unpalatable, although the area is a bit backwards by European/north American standards, especially in the more insular north. Even as they seek to increase their own influence in the area, the Russians and Japanese make it a priority to prevent the British or the Habsburgs from establishing any puppets or protectorates in the area, although Guangdong has increasingly become an Area of Interest.

It's a fairly backwards world in several ways, with authoritarian regimes, sexist societies, and oppressive colonialism. Slavery in most places only was eliminated in the 20th century, and still persists in parts of the British and Habsburg empires (although the Habsburgs claim it's not "really" slavery, not being hereditary). Technology is on the backwards side, generally no more advanced than the 1930s, with atomic power so far just being "science fiction stuff." Biological sciences are a bit more advanced, and the recent discovery of the structure of DNA has led to much wild popular speculation. The Habsburgs, with so much of their empire in the tropics, are in particular a leader in tropical medicine and microbiology in general (and, it is rumored, biological warfare research).

ddz351m-55dc5d00-beb9-4220-a120-d01728b2871b.png

The Hapsburg court is in Bruges, but who populates it? Spaniards, for the color? Germans, since Bruges is in Flanders and therefore basically Germany? What is the milk-tongue of a Hapsburg prince?

EDIT: Also, absolutely amazing map.

The Hapsburg court is in Bruges, but who populates it? Spaniards, for the color? Germans, since Bruges is in Flanders and therefore basically Germany? What is the milk-tongue of a Hapsburg prince?

EDIT: Also, absolutely amazing map.

Thanks! It used to be Spanish, but as the demographic and economic center of the Empire shifted to Germany [1], and the Low Countries became part of the Crown of the HRE rather than the Iberian crown, it became German. Still, Spanish remains the most widely used language of the Habsburg domains, and any Emperor worth his salt is at least bilingual (the more talented ones usually try to add Greek, Latin and Magyar).

The color is just me messing around: I just didn't like Austrian reddish-purple as a color for a global Habsburg Empire including Spain and much of Latin America, plus the Portuguese possessions outside Brazil. (So I ended up distinguishing the Iberian crown by outlining it in the Austrian Habsburg color, which makes no sense at all. Sue me.)

[1] Germany was always more populous than Iberia, but it took a while before the Habsburgs could be really said to control most of it.

It's a fine map, and I enjoy those little "National Geographic" type ethnic profiles, but with a POD early enough to make the Champa a majority in OTLs South Vietnam, I think the OTL Communist terminology and iconography is going to be seriously butterflied.
yeah, I had a hard time with the flag and CoA, I ended up picking a simple but detailed design. I'm honestly not that pleased with it but the first designs were way more horrible

It's a fine map, and I enjoy those little "National Geographic" type ethnic profiles, but with a POD early enough to make the Champa a majority in OTLs South Vietnam, I think the OTL Communist terminology and iconography is going to be seriously butterflied.
Also they are National Geographic ethnic profiles, the faces comes from the NatGeo people's maps, but shh don't say it

s7OL9g8.jpg

(Full Image)

1485: EUIV Emperor Multiplayer

In celebration of the new EUIV DlC some friends and I have been playing an MP game, so I thought I'd make a map for y'all and update it as the game goes on. Happy to answer any questions for those interested.
---------

In Northern Europe the 41 years since the start of the game have seen the Kalmar Union somewhat reaffirmed and strengthened following successful conquests of the Baltics, in particular Courland, Livonia and Estonia, along with the conquest of the Kola Penninsula and Neva region from the Grand Republic of Novgorod who remain on their last legsn in the face of the advancing Muscovites. The Union however remains fragile, having introduced the Scandinavian Constitution in the 1470's at the expense of Swedish support for the continuation of the Scandinavian union. Sweden now teeters on the brink of seeking independence, actively courting foreign states interested in supporting their desire for independence. The Danes have however found a reliable ally in the English, both partners finding themselves locked in conflicts in one another's aid with English supporting the Danes in Scandinavia against the threat of the Austrian Holy Roman Empire's attempts to recover Holstein for the Imperial Crown in a conflict that has raged for around a year. Having heard of distant lands to the west, will Denmark now attempt to establish their own potential colonial holdings alongside their British allies? Will the advancing Muscovite State attempt to take advantage of the Union's investment in two large scale wars on the continent? and will the Swedes remain part of this fragile coalition of nations?

In North-Western Europe the Kingdom of England has found itself defeated in the 100 years war, losing all of it's continental holdings but one; Calais, in a single fell swoop. While a blow to English prestige, this however has thus far not been seen as a significant loss following the adoption of a policy of retreat from the continent by the English, focusing instead on Naval dominance and the securing of the British Isles and securing a tentative and rocky inheritence following the long Wars of the Roses - in which Henry VII of the House of Tudor found himself victorious. In this effort however England has found itself making few friends, especially on the continent where French anger at English conquests of their historic friends Scotland and Ireland have led to the emergence of a coalition against the English aggressors. Unfortunately for the Punitive coalition however, their lack of concentrated fleet power has seen them suffer a string of defeats against the English at Sea, making progress in the conflict near impossible. What little conflict there has been has largely been relegated to the Jutland penninsula in Denmark and Portugal where limited fighting has taken place. Most of Portugal now rests painfully under Burgundian occupation, along with the city of Calais, while England's historic ally in Brittany has suffered heavily at the hands of the French having been forced to cede the province of Nantes and abandon all ties to England. With England's eyes firmly set on following the Spanish lead to new lands in the Americas, will the English manage to hold off their continental foes from landing forces on their islands? and if so, where shall England turn next in their conquest of the seas?

In South-Western Europe the Kingdom of Castille-Aragon, or the Iberian Union, finds itself in an extremely promising position on the world stage despite what can only be described as several rocky periods following the 1440's. Having disinherited the heir to the Castillian throne, and within only a matter of years descended into Civil war between the Portuguese and Aragonese wings of the de Transamara family the country found itself embroiled in many conflicts. Not only fighting a difficult civil war at home but further fighting the Kingdom of Aragon itself in the 2nd Neapolitan Succession War (1447.12.28 - 1451.6.17), unfolding after the withdrawal of Naples from Personal Union with Aragon in 1445 and the death of their Monarch Joan II that same year. Miraculously Castille was able to defeat both Aragon, who's forces primarily focused on the conflict in Naples itself allowing much of the Aragonese homeland to be occupied, and the Rebel claimant in Castille. This would place Naples under the authority of the Castillian Crown, solidifying the nation's regional power before the eventual formation of the Iberian Union in 1453. Castille now finds itself the second most powerful nation in the known world, and arguably the most powerful in Europe if one excludes the Ottoman heathens. With northern Europe on fire however, the country has begun to approach the question of Portuguese sovereignty, maintaining their claim to the throne of the country and more importantly Castille's claim to Granada which had been conquered by Portugal in 1449. The Iberian Kingdom has however found a willing ally in Austria, securing promising marriages with the von Habsburg dynasty and Emperor Frederich IV which have led to the likely inheritence of the Castillian throne by a von Habsburg upon the death of the current Queen María I de Transamara. The Castillians however have found their greatest fortune in the discovery of new lands to the far west, with the 'Caribbean' having been discovered in the late 1470's following the colonization of the Canary islands. With Castillian settlers having landed on the Island they have dubbed 'Hispaniola', it is surely only a matter of time before their rightful inheritence of the 'New World' is assured!

In Central & Eastern Europe the balance of power has shifted throughout the empire and region significantly towards the Austrian von Habsburgs and their fast empire of Personal Unions, first asserted through right of conquest in Bohemia with the aid of Polish allies, and then asserted through the conquest of Hungary and Croatia, placing Austria firmly among the greatest of world powers and master of Central Europe. Having been extremely fortunate with the choices of Bohemian and Hungarian alliances, Austria has found it relatively easy to quickly assemble a vast power base by 1455; not one of immense economic strengthn but instead one of significant military strength compared to their largely fractured eastern and western neighbours. With relations between Poland and Austria having slowly decayed though following rivalled claims in Silesia, the country now finds itself primarily focused on the securing of Italian territories and the reassertion of the Empire's authority in the south, which it began with the invasion of Venice in 1464 to secure a passage to the region and reassert Imperial control over Lombardy. Despite this however it looks unlikely that Imperial Authority will be able to be projected over northern Italy, with Austria having been focused on outside conflicts and threats to European stability first and foremost. The main conflict in the Empire's recent years however has been one against the French, prompted by French aggression against Castille in an attempt to capture Navarre and the Basque territories in 1467 the von Habsburgs opted to take a more pan-European approach to their foreign policy and aid the beleagred and war-eshausted Castillians to further shore up their continental power and weaken the expansion of the French. Quickly a war that should have been a decisive Castillian defeat turned into a Catastrophic French loss, with Austro-Castillian forces being outmatched by the French, but equally vastly outnumbering them in a conflict that would see nearly 200,000 dead with only one third being French casualties. Paris however woulc be captured early in the war, with the von Habsburg northern offensive from the lowlands proving a decisive shift in the conflict that would see most of France occupied within two years. The conflict would end with the French being required to abandon all suzerainty over their many autonomous vassals, and release the Duchy of Augverne as an independent state while paying the Austro-Castillian coalition a vast sum. The Empire however remains under threat from many angles, with the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth providing a potential threat to the east, the French remaining a threat, albeit a weakened one, to the west and the ever-expanding and advanced Ottomans remaining a sizeable threat to the south. The Empire itself however continues to recover and reform, having passed several reforms introducing an Imperial Government with Austria being on the verge of establishing a permenant Imperial Diet. Will the fractured Empire survive? and will the only 12 year old Emperor be capable of continuing his reconquests of occupied Imperial territory?

Last edited:
I just made it using paint.net
The Rhineland still speaks German, its just that they have taken an effort to emphasize the aspects of the regional dialect along with incorporating more loanwords from French.
Oh I didn't notice it was you Etruscan-enthusiast35!
I wish I could use paint.net as well as you do, but it's so hard to do anything with it when you find out that you can't do anything with it.

I certainly can help. Where do you want me to start?

Thanks! Like I said to XFE, I'm going to try to see how much I can finish by Monday. If it ends up being too much of a workload, then I'll definitely message you then to divide whatever's left.

Should we have a limit of 30 or 40 likes? the last best of was at 30 likes, and that was when the board was more active.

While I was originally planning to do a 35+ limit, the sheer number of maps that exceeded that has made me bump the limit up to 40. Admittedly, it's still going to be a _ton_ of maps, but hopefully it will be more manageable.

Greater Germania.png

Sorry for the blurriness, It was smaller than I thought.

I really don't what the POD is but its mostly
Following the Germanics victory in the great war, The Nations of Francia, Britannia and Eurasia sought revenge (I'm pretty sure you know what they are) Francia and Britannia would turn into new ideologies known as Unitarism (Fascism but worse) Eurasia Republicans won the civil war. The Habsburg Empire collapsed and Germania annex it. Eventually, a second great war broke out. Germania was on the verge of defeat until the United Commonwealth of Atlantist (USA bootleg) came in after the rising sun empire bomb their ports. Eventually, the Germanian won but at the cost of millions of lives and cold war with the Atlantist

Romania_Transylvania_and_Moldova_finished.png

Country Profiles - The Nations of the Dacian Subregion

The Principality of Transylvania
- At the end of World War III, Transylvania's territory was under Romanian control and contained a substantial minority of ethnic Hungarians. With the signing of the Warsaw treaty that ended the war, a dispute arose between Romanian and Hungarian representatives on the question of ownership of Transylvania. Hungarian delegates, with the support of Poland and the Freyist bloc countries, claimed for Hungarian ownership of the northern half of the region, according to the boundaries outlined in the 1940 second Vienna award, while Romanian delegates supported the preservation of status quo in the region, as prevailed since the end of World War II. American representatives proposed to give independence to the entirety of Transylvania as a binational state as a compromise, a proposal that was reluctantly accepted by the Central European countries and by residents of the region.

Transylvania was created as a Habsburg-reigned principality under Otto von Habsburg, the former crown prince of Austria with heavy guidance from Freyist Germany. The first years in the country’s independent existence were troublesome as both Romanians and Hungarians felt disconnected to the nation-building process imposed on them by the world, which resulted in ethnic parties calling for dissolution causing parliamentary gridlock and low-level civic unrest between the two ethnicities of the country. The unrest between Romanians and Hungarians exploded in the 1995 ethnic clashes of Târgu Mureș that resulted in a month-long period of nationwide violent clashes between both groups, sometimes supported by government officials. As the violent clashes threatened the neighboring nations and the royal family, a multinational force from the nations the Freyist block entered the nation to impose order in the torn country. For the next years, the country was managed directly by the royal family through neutral bureaucrats and moderate leaders from both sides. The Timișoara accords which brought to the switch from overt violence to hidden unrest was signed in 1998 and included the foundation of the Autonomous County of Szekelyland for the Hungarian minority within the northern region of the nation. The state's bi-national status is enhanced by the strengthening of bilingualism that is evident in the education system, signage, and city names. Most Transylvania cities have Romanian, Hungarian, and German names, due to the wide German influence of the Transylvanian Saxons which was reinforced by the royal family. Another significant pillar of the accords was maintaining open borders and cultural with both Romania and Hungary to maintain cultural unity between Hungarians and Romanians in the country and their brethren from neighboring countries.

Despite the positive effects of the accords on the nation and the end of overt violence, the effects of the ethnic divide in Transylvania can still be seen. The political system is still held stable and governed by the combination of a shaky alliance of moderates on both sides and single-issue parties and active monarchical rule, which often uses its authority to appoint ten percent of the Diet delegates in order to keep the government intact. The opposition to the existence of the nation creates strange bedfellows, as Hungarian and Romanian separatists collaborate within the opposition. The devolved administration of Szekelyland is being led by Hungarian separatists who support the dismantlement of the nation based on current autonomy lines. Romania and Hungary both expressed interest in the politics of Transylvania, and nationalist parties from both nations are maintaining close ties to their ethnic separatist counterparts within Transylvania.

Transylvania is a constitutional monarchy with a grand prince as head of state and a prime minister as head of government. The prime minister is the leader of the coalition in the Diet, the unicameral Transylvanian parliament. Szekelyland holds its own devolved assembly as well, with the first secretary being the leader of the coalition. The nation is a member of the Central European Customs Union.
The country’s economy is based on heavy industry and oil production and exports mainly to CECU nations. During the first years of the country’s existence, a large number of industries fled the country to more stable nations due to the cultural clashes that shut down the economy of the country, but the phenomenon faded away as the country had stabilized. Transylvania suffers from high levels of skilled and young emigration directed towards the ethnic home nations, as they see the situation at home unsuitable for finding high-paying job opportunities.

The Kingdom of Moldova - in the aftermath of the third world war, the historical region of Bessarabia, then encompassed within the Moldovan and Ukrainian SSRs, achieved independence as an independent kingdom, per the Warsaw treaty. Officially, Moldova is a kingdom per the conditions of the Warsaw treaty, yet practically, the country has no king as the young nation has no history of royal reign other than the Romanian monarchy. The German government, who wished to impose a locally-based government rather than a foreign monarch in order to prevent the unification of the country with the culturally similar Romania, had to come up with a different idea: Instead of appointing a royal dynasty from the distant family of Michael I, king of Romania, the German authorities decided to appoint Yaroslav Guzun, a former Soviet-era war hero, as the temporary regent to the Moldovan throne until a royal family would be selected out of the local population.

Over the years, Guzun has emerged as a reasonable and effective ruler in the fields of rebuilding the country, establishing its global position, and creating a stable government structure. For this reason, the Germans and the CECU pleaded him not to end his term as regent and to stop the active search of a royal family.

Moldova holds a significant minority of Gagauz, a Turkish people. In the last stages of the third world war, several Gagauzian officials declared a Gagauzian republic within the nowadays Gagauzian Autonomous Raion, but their attempt failed as the allied armies stampeded through the region. However, Gagauzian separatism was a major political issue in the early years of the country's existence until 1996, when an agreement was signed between the central government in Chisinau and the separatists that allowed the Gagauz to establish devolved government and assembly.

De jure, Moldova is a constitutional monarchy, with a regent as the temporary head of state and a prime minister as the head of government but due to its special government structure and the prominence of the regent in the works of the government, it is considered by most political scientists as a flawed semi-presidential republic. Practically, the regent is treated like a king of the constitutional monarchy but acts as a president in a semi-presidential republic, with the notable exception of having a life-long term. The Moldovan parliament is unicameral and appoints the prime minister. For most of its existence, Moldovan politics are mostly run by Freyist or center-right parties which support the tight relationship with CECU and continued independence, while parties favoring union with Romania or left-wing parties that were created from rebellious elements of the CPSU remained in the opposition. Moldova is an observer member of the Central European Customs Union and maintains close relationships with both Romania and Ukraine, along with its main trade partners in CECU. The country’s economy is based on the exportation of agricultural products such as grains and potatoes and industrial commodities to various Central European nations.

The Kingdom of Romania - The Warsaw treaties were not generous to Romania. The hopes of general Vasile Milea and his clique for receiving generous treatment from the allies, including a restoration of the interwar borders, replaced with a bitter disappointment as Romania was forced to allow the independence of Transylvania while Moldova became independent, despite Romanian calls for setting the Romanian eastern border on the Dniester river. While Romania still kept access to the Black sea and regained Bukovina west of the Dniester, the sense of bitterness was still present. As per the conditions of the Warsaw treaty, the Romanian monarchy was reinstalled and Michael I of house Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen assumed the throne, and the title of Dominator, once again, with heavy German guidance.

Since then, Romania was a notable country within CECU and the cultural hub of the Dacian sub-region. The nation maintains an impressive growth rate due to the steady influx of German investment and political stability maintained by king Michael I and his successor and distant cousin, Paul I, who ascended to the throne after the former’s abdication due to health reasons in 2016. Most of the country’s political spectrum adheres to a certain extent to Freyist principles such as constitutional monarchism, cultural conservatism, and national redemptionism, with various variants Freyist composing the main parties. The non-Freyist political field is mostly limited to the Western-European mold of Liberals and “unredeemed” left-wingers. Expansionism is a key issue in Romanian politics, as both neighboring nations of Transylvania and Moldova exist per the conditions of the Warsaw treaty, and are consisted of Romanian majorities who harbor nationalist and irredentist sentiments.

The country’s economy is diverse and based on industrial growth, oil production, and agriculture. Notable Romanian firms are Automobile Dacia, based in the Ploiesti region and Enron Petrom, a subsidiary oil and natural gas company of Enron with oil rigs and decks across Romania and Transylvania.

-----​

Maps of NDCR:

1591814422891.png

An alternate history map my friend made, focused largely on alternate middle eastern borders (although largely based on Rule of Cool). Outside of Uruguay, this might be based on an alternate, and much more chaotic, end to WW1.

The constituent countries of New Zealand
A map and a list of constituent countries that are part of NZ proper. Any associated relationships are paired with this group of (is)lands called NZ.

NZ.png

Campbell Islands is uninhabited and thus governed from Wellington, though Auckland's Hardwicke was historically populated.
The devolved assemblies are non-partisan, only the Wellington Parliament has parties.

The constituent countries of New Zealand
A map and a list of constituent countries that are part of NZ proper. Any associated relationships are paired with this group of (is)lands called NZ.

View attachment 555902

Campbell Islands is uninhabited and thus governed from Wellington, though Auckland's Hardwicke was historically populated.
The devolved assemblies are non-partisan, only the Wellington Parliament has parties.

I'm surprised this doesn't include the Cook Islands.

I'm surprised this doesn't include the Cook Islands.
I can imagine that
- in the Realm of Australia: Micronesia (made up of constituent countries),
- in the Realm of Papua/ Irian/ New Guinea: Melanesia (also made up of constituent countries),
- in the Realm of New Zealand: Polynesia (again, made up of constituent countries).
A system like this may work.

This is an OTL map I made depicting confirmed COVID-19 cases by county as of the Florida Department of Health's June 7, 2020 update. I made a version with county borders and one without:
june7covidfl.png
june7covidfl2.png

(I made the maps smaller so they can stand side-by-side but clicking on them will show their full size)
I was on the Wikipedia page titled COVID-19 pandemic in Florida when I noticed that the map they had showing this exact thing was just... bad. It was blurry, the borders were sloppily drawn and overlapping in placed... it was just bad quality. So I remade it from scratch (coast and counties included) on Inkscape and replaced it on the wiki page. This is the first time I edit a wiki page to actually make a change :coldsweat: Anyway, the map that was originally in the wiki page can be seen below in the spoilers, if anyone is interested.

440px-FLCOVID672020.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.