Sports What Ifs.

Has there ever been any discussion of how a specific sports game PoD could have immediate and clear effect on the course of non-sports history, outside of intangibles (like a how game affected the national mood,* or general butterflies)? For example, how a high school or college game affected the academic careers of non-athletes?

*e.g. how the 1970 World Cup might have affected the 1970 UK Election

Two Central American countries briefly went to war centered around a FIFA qualifier. There was other stuff going on, but it all boiled over after a soccer match.

Perhaps if cooler heads prevailed and the match was moved, that could have allowed for tensions to ease.

without gruden, i don't see the bucs passing over vick or eagles

That team had a hell of a defense. I could see it, Gruden or no Gruden, although that may mean another Raiders title, making them comparable at the time to the Pats.

Chargers?

They’re as good an option as any assuming they aren’t absolutely married to the idea of being in LA. And frankly, if they were smart, they’ll go to Vegas, which is basically a hotter, crazier version of LA and would probably support them better.

They’re as good an option as any assuming they aren’t absolutely married to the idea of being in LA. And frankly, if they were smart, they’ll go to Vegas, which is basically a hotter, crazier version of LA and would probably support them better.
Plus the name fits too! Las Vegas Chargers — as in charging for a purchase — Las Vegas is very good at parting people from their money :p

Has there ever been any discussion of how a specific sports game PoD could have immediate and clear effect on the course of non-sports history, outside of intangibles (like a how game affected the national mood,* or general butterflies)? For example, how a high school or college game affected the academic careers of non-athletes?

*e.g. how the 1970 World Cup might have affected the 1970 UK Election
My favorite pet theory is that the "HE DID WHAT!?" Monday Night football game going into overtime could have resulted in some Gore voters in Florida being too hungover to go to the polls the next day and thus swinging the election

Had the 2001 Mariners won the ALCS - do they beat the Diamondbacks in the World Series? And does the team build on that success and become a consistent contender?

At the very least it would have been the first time since 1906 that both teams were in their first World Series (and made it impossible unless there were further expansions in both leagues).

My favorite pet theory is that the "HE DID WHAT!?" Monday Night football game going into overtime could have resulted in some Gore voters in Florida being too hungover to go to the polls the next day and thus swinging the election
the dolphins doesn't even played that night or you did refer to all the snowbirds?

Honestly, as an MSU alumna I might write this timeline...

Write it! Big East Football is a great 'what if'. You might throw Temple in that Big East football as well. But you had programs like Pittsburgh and Rutgers too enamored with Big East Basketball shooting the whole idea down. Maybe if Louisville and/or UConn could be persuaded...

Big East Football would preclude Paterno's conversation with Iowa's coach over not allowing red-shirt freshman to play and forestall Penn State going to the Big 10....

My thoughts,

WE discussed Jerry Reinsdorf moving the White Sox, but he also owns the Bulls of the nBA. Does it impact the Bulls any if he pulls the White SoX out? Is he forced by public pressure to sell the Bulls? DOes he sell the Sox? Or is he able to be a snowbird a(well, the opposite really) and have one winter and one summer sport?

Remember that if the White Sox move, it's because of such declining attendance and dilapidated stadum they can't compete, and the government wouldn't build them a new one. So, it's not like he pulled an Irsay or an O'Malley.

WE discussed Jerry Reinsdorf moving the White Sox, but he also owns the Bulls of the nBA. Does it impact the Bulls any if he pulls the White SoX out? Is he forced by public pressure to sell the Bulls? DOes he sell the Sox? Or is he able to be a snowbird a(well, the opposite really) and have one winter and one summer sport?

Remember that if the White Sox move, it's because of such declining attendance and dilapidated stadum they can't compete, and the government wouldn't build them a new one. So, it's not like he pulled an Irsay or an O'Malley.
When or why he will move the bulls? it would be brutal if he move the bulls just before the dynasty begins....

When or why he will move the bulls? it would be brutal if he move the bulls just before the dynasty begins....

I didn't even think of him moving the Bulls. He got a new arena for them, and would be more likely to anyway if he has to move the White Sox. I wouldn't think he would move them.

Last edited:
Sorry to reply twice in a row but this might not be seen if I just edit my original.

Reinsdorf was one of the top hardliners among the major league owners. He would probably be even more so if he moves the White Sox. If he was really having financial trouble he might eventually sell them only to prove his point. Bud selig probably still becomes acting commissioner oh, but Reinsdorf would just be part of getting owners like them to be the power Brokers over Steinbrenner and Ted Turner and then step down.

This would allow him to devote his full attention to the Bulls.

Last edited:
This would allow him to devote his full attention to the Bulls.

1. If he doesn't own the Sox, does MJ still play baseball in 1994? He wouldn't be playing for the Sox if Reinsdorf doesn't own them.

2. If he can just focus on the Bulls, you may see Reinsdorf giving MJ and Co. at least one more year to try to get a seventh ring, but after that, it's hard to say. Jerry said that he didn't want the team to hang around as long as the 57-69 Celtics did (11 Titles in 13 years).