Stupid Luck and Happenstance, Thread III

ferdi254

Banned
If you tell sailors on shore leave not to visit certain places becaus of Wein,Weib und Gesang (wine, women and singing) you might as well ask those places for a share of the so reliably created turnover.

More likely that the Marine has some brothels, bars and restaurants that, if not directly owned by them have owners and staff vetted as to avoid risks like espionage.

More great stuff.
I'm rereading and have a question from WAY WAY back:
Thread 1, post 531
28th July, 1932

Washington DC, USA

The shantytown that had been built the protesters across the river from the Capital was burning. As Army Chief of Staff General Douglas MacArthur had followed his orders. There had been no talking to these people. Most of these men had fought with him in France, many of them had brought their wives and children. This had ended as badly as he’d figured it would. There were several wounded and dead scattered here and there. Dozens more had been arrested at the moment they still were trying to sort out who the leaders were. They identified Walter W. Waters and several others who were loaded onto train cars, it was the last time that anyone ever saw them.

President Curtis had gotten exactly what he had wanted. It was believed by many that it was this incident that became the final straw as far as the American public was concerned, that would cost him the White House that November.

Was there ever any resolution of consequences for the people that disappeared Walter W. Waters and company? Or any expose later on?

All that the KLM Brass really needs to do is ask ARD for the raw footage because it is in the best interest of both sides to cooperate with each other, of course ARD should make a token stand for "Journalist Independence" but since they own the tapes themselves there should be no trouble in letting the KLM reviewing the tapes at the ARD studios.
Having Young Manfred von Mischner briefing the KSK and the Green Berets must have been a bit jarring to Parker as I am sure that the Military Attaché from the U.S. Embassy has given him extensive background information on the people he would be dealing with.

The KLM brass probably thinks that's exactly what they did, which, to be fair, is technically accurate. However, the military bureaucracy has the habit of forgetting that their method of asking doesn't always work when dealing with civilians. Usually because the wording & delivery sounds like an order, which it was since a request in the military is frequently considered an order, depending on which direction in the command structure said request is passing. Use the wrong tone & phrasing when communicating a request to any civilian can cause said civilian(s) to get their backs up. This appears to be the case here, based on how Zella's reaction to it has been described.

As for the whole Parker in Germany + Parker/Sigi thing; its has seemed to have knocked the scales of Parker's eyes a little. It will be interesting to see how he processes these discoveries, although if he uses Ritchie as a sounding board, he'd better get used to the sounds of rolling eyeballs.

It is a bit disturbing that the LoN, or Germany at least, is repeating the error made by OTL LoN in regards to Albania. OTL, back in the 1930s, they restricted arms & munitions shipments that Ethiopia needed to defend itself, while Italy could ship in as much as they wanted for their forces, since it was only an "internal transfer". Oops. Factor in the clear instances of genocide occurring in Albania, and apparently also in Bosniak majority areas within both Serbia & Croatia, and things will be... bad. And Croatia is an ally of Germany, so ignoring their actions against Bosniaks will be seen as acceptance of Greco-Serbian policies within Albania and their own territories.

ferdi254

Banned
I wonder what the Austrian navy is doing. Maybe the Austrians (who had battleships stationed in the Adria 1918) have decided to cut back on naval spending but one or two destroyers and some fast attack boats plus some minelayers I would still expect.

Last edited:
And Croatia is an ally of Germany, so ignoring their actions against Bosniaks will be seen as acceptance of Greco-Serbian policies within Albania and their own territories.
If they are an ally ITTL, (OTL Croatia fought as part of the Central Powers, and the POD is after their entry), then that's a big problem and it will need to get reined in fast.

Part 108, Chapter 1761
Chapter One Thousand Seven Hundred Sixty-One

14th October 1966

Silesia

For Manfred von Richthofen it should have been a time of triumph as he savored one last victory, one that would cement the House of Richthofen into the history books. Instead, like always fate had the last word. He had managed to strongarm himself into the position of Prince-Elector of Silesia and while he might not live to exercise the function of that office, Albrecht would inherit it and eventually Nikolaus would follow. It signified the greatest advancement yet of his family and no sooner than he had learned of it, Käte had given him news that had turned it all to ashes in his mouth. She had been unwell for some time, thinking that it was just a lingering cold when she had gone to the Doctor only to be told that it was metastatic cancer. He had called the foremost experts in the world and they had all reached the same conclusion, three to six months. He had continued to make phone calls until Käte had told him to stop and just accept that it was how it was going to be.

Manfred had faced the prospect of death many times in his life and accepted it, this was different though. To have it happen like this to Käte was like having someone hold his arms as he was getting beaten. The weeks since then had been spent just keeping Käte comfortable while he helped her put her affairs in order.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Helene had watched as her father had drifted around the house over the previous day. Having Albrecht home helped somewhat, but this was the worst crisis that they as a family had faced since Lothar had died years earlier. Helene felt useless, these days she had to travel under heavy security whenever she went anywhere which didn’t help matters. As a Minister in the Government with a constituency in Silesia, Helene had found that she was being subjected to an increasing number of threats as the situation in Southern Poland spiraled. In the past she had enjoyed good relations with the Poles in Silesia, that evidently didn’t include all of them and every crowd had its cranks. When she had arrived at her father’s estate, she had seen the toll that this was taking on everyone. It was particularly difficult for Ilse. Helene’s parents had made her a part of the family even before she had gotten together with Albrecht. The estate outside of Breslau was the first place that Ilse had ever truly felt like she had belonged.

“I worry about your father” Käte said from the easy chair that she was sitting in, her eyes unfocused due to the amount of medication they had her on. “One day he will walk into the forest and never come back.”

“There are more than enough people around to keep an eye on him” Helene said. She wished that were entirely true. Her father had spent most of his life in the forest that he had carefully managed and knew it better than anyone else. If he went out there with the intention of doing harm to himself, no one would know until well after it was done.

Trieste, Austria

As Louis watched the ship breakers do their work, he thought about a different sort of shipwreck. At that very moment, experts were dissecting the film of Louis in action because ARD had secured the future cooperation of the KM for access in the future in return for copies of the video. Zella had been happy with the outcome when she had talked to Louis, it seemed that had been what she was actually after. He was just glad that she hadn’t gone to the mat this time, there were stories about other battles that Zella had fought with officialdom that had not ended so well. He would be crazy not to be concerned about what might be on those tapes.

The old Destroyer was obsolescent before Louis had even been born. It had soldiered on for decades, long past the collapse of the Empire that had built it prior to the First World War as the remnant of the old Austro-Hungarian Navy. It was mostly because the Austrian Government had not prioritized naval spending until recently. The purchase of two Destroyers of more recent vintage from the German High Seas Fleet had meant that she had finally outlived her last bit of usefulness and today Louis watched leaning on the railing that overlooked the drydock where she was being cut up, her hull plates being loaded onto railcars bound for the foundry.

“I was told that I could find you here” Carter said.

“I find that it helps me maintain perspective” Louis replied, “What can I do for you Commander?”

“The impermanence of all things?” Carter asked.

“Something like that” Louis replied.

Carter made a noncommittal sound. Louis had heard that he was a devout man and the bible was rather explicit about that subject. Fortunately, he spared Louis the sermon.

“I just came to wish you good luck” Carter said, “I’m departing for Virginia this afternoon.”

“Is the mission complete?” Louis asked, wondering if there had been a development.

“No” Carter replied, “But I’ve been informed that I need to return immediately to take command of the Gridley. The Blue is sticking around here for now.”

Louis took a minute to remember the details of the USS Gridley, a Guided Missile Cruiser that was only a couple years old. If Carter was taking command of her then that meant he was getting promoted as well.

“Congratulations then Herr Kapitän zur See” Louis said.

“It’s just Captain in the US Navy” Carter replied, “Thank you though.”

14th October 1966

Silesia

...The weeks since then had been spent just keeping Käte comfortable while he helped her put her affairs in order.
Not all stupid luck is good luck unfortunately.

“I worry about your father” Käte said from the easy chair that she was sitting in, her eyes unfocused due to the amount of medication they had her on. “One day he will walk into the forest and never come back.”
If he does, it is unlikely to be suicide per se. Hesitating on a shot at a charging boar, not taking quite as much care when observing the weather conditions, pushing too hard on a trail or just taking less care looking where he's going is probably more likely.

Trieste, Austria

“I was told that I could find you here” Carter said.

“I find that it helps me maintain perspective” Louis replied, “What can I do for you Commander?”

“The impermanence of all things?” Carter asked.

“Something like that” Louis replied.

Carter made a noncommittal sound. Louis had heard that he was a devout man and the bible was rather explicit about that subject. Fortunately, he spared Louis the sermon.

“I just came to wish you good luck” Carter said, “I’m departing for Virginia this afternoon.”

“Is the mission complete?” Louis asked, wondering if there had been a development.

“No” Carter replied, “But I’ve been informed that I need to return immediately to take command of the Gridley. The Blue is sticking around here for now.”

Louis took a minute to remember the details of the USS Gridley, a Guided Missile Cruiser that was only a couple years old. If Carter was taking command of her then that meant he was getting promoted as well.

“Congratulations then Herr Kapitän zur See” Louis said.

“It’s just Captain in the US Navy” Carter replied, “Thank you though.”

This suggests that US Naval Intelligence now considers Louis a serious player. If they don't already, then the KLM will have to consider Louis a serious player too. At which point, his life becomes a whole lot more... "interesting".

If they are an ally ITTL, (OTL Croatia fought as part of the Central Powers, and the POD is after their entry), then that's a big problem and it will need to get reined in fast.

Louis Jr. is in Trieste to support Austrian, Italian & Croatian naval units in the Adriatic. Both Croatia & Italy lost patrol boats to the Q-ships that Louis Jr. & the Brits took out.

For Manfred von Richthofen it should have been a time of triumph as he savored one last victory, one that would cement the House of Richthofen into the history books. Instead, like always fate had the last word. He had managed to strongarm himself into the position of Prince-Elector of Silesia and while he might not live to exercise the function of that office, Albrecht would inherit it and eventually Nikolaus would follow. It signified the greatest advancement yet of his family and no sooner than he had learned of it, Käte had given him news that had turned it all to ashes in his mouth. She had been unwell for some time, thinking that it was just a lingering cold when she had gone to the Doctor only to be told that it was metastatic cancer. He had called the foremost experts in the world and they had all reached the same conclusion, three to six months. He had continued to make phone calls until Käte had told him to stop and just accept that it was how it was going to be.

Bugger.

As Louis watched the ship breakers do their work, he thought about a different sort of shipwreck. At that very moment, experts were dissecting the film of Louis in action because ARD had secured the future cooperation of the KM for access in the future in return for copies of the video. Zella had been happy with the outcome when she had talked to Louis, it seemed that had been what she was actually after. He was just glad that she hadn’t gone to the mat this time, there were stories about other battles that Zella had fought with officialdom that had not ended so well. He would be crazy not to be concerned about what might be on those tapes.

A mutually beneficial arrangement then. And the relationship between Louis Jr. & Zella is progressing nicely.

I's say the Americans most definitely do consider Louis Jr. a 'player'; he has prior 'intelligence" dealings with ONI/CIA, he personally dealt with Cosimo to get the intel on where the Q-ships were located, he's in the KLM (ONI &CIA remember 'Creepy'), he's 4th in line for the throne, and he knows Kat.

What is happening to Kate is a gut punch to The Old Graf as she has been his rock and the Voice of Reason for all these years, hopefully he will have his grandchildren both biological and otherwise around to give him a reason for living.
As for Helene's need for protection that should extend to the other members f the family as Hans maybe the Commander of a "Peacekeeping Mission" if things go bad real fast.
Both Graf Manfred von Richthofen and his son Albrecht are prominent heroes of the German Empire and as such are attractive targets for any violent groups,
Ilse as the leading Ecological voice fighting air pollution among other things she may be the scapegoat for out of work coal miners who blame her for the shutting down of coal fired power plants to natural gas plants that are getting the natural gas from Russia that is less polluting and more economical then using coal.

What is happening to Kate is a gut punch to The Old Graf as she has been his rock and the Voice of Reason for all these years, hopefully he will have his grandchildren both biological and otherwise around to give him a reason for living.
As for Helene's need for protection that should extend to the other members f the family as Hans maybe the Commander of a "Peacekeeping Mission" if things go bad real fast.
Both Graf Manfred von Richthofen and his son Albrecht are prominent heroes of the German Empire and as such are attractive targets for any violent groups,
Ilse as the leading Ecological voice fighting air pollution among other things she may be the scapegoat for out of work coal miners who blame her for the shutting down of coal fired power plants to natural gas plants that are getting the natural gas from Russia that is less polluting and more economical then using coal.
The problem of acid rain from coal stations was solved in the 80's by fitting scrubbers to the chimneys to remove the sulphur. The power companies initially fought hard against this, complaining about the cost. Then they found out how much profit they could make selling the sulphur.
This is the 60's, I don't think Russian gas is yet a thing.

Yo PM, everytime I think I have you figured out, you throw (in baseball terms) a spitball at us (a pitch that is impossible to hit). I was mowing the lawn today and the thought of how long Manfred the elder had to go crossed my mind. And you give us.....this. You win. I will never try to outguess you again.

Part 108, Chapter 1762
Chapter One Thousand Seven Hundred Sixty-Two

16th October 1966

Mitte, Berlin

“So, what do you think?” Louis asked as he entered the Parlor of the Berlin Penthouse.

He was wearing the dress uniform of a Protector of the Order of Saint John in which he was a Knight Commander. The double-breasted red tunic with a gold belt, white breeches, and black boots with a mirror polish. Over it was worn a black cloak that was tied with a long cord, with a white linen 8-pointed cross that was the badge of the Order on the left breast and black broad brimmed hat with a white plume. The Cross of Honor hung on its black ribbon around his neck. Louis was expected to play the role of the Sovern while his cousin Wilhelm-Karl was the present Grand Master of the Johanniter Order, the German Protestant branch of the Knights Hospitaller. Louis was happy it was someone else's headache.

“Three Musketeers costume?” Nan asked, “Like in the movie?”

Charlotte, who had been helping Nella and Nan as they had been trying to puzzle their way through a book by reading it aloud put her hand over her mouth and tried not to laugh. Nella found that hilarious while Nan didn’t really understand what was so funny. To her, what her Uncle Louis was wearing really did look like something from another era. There was also something else that Louis and Charlotte had noticed. For Nan, Momma and Papa had painful connotations, so she had started referring to them as her Aunt and Uncle. Charlotte had felt that it was a healthy change and had encouraged her to do that.

“I will have you know that this is the uniform of a Chivalrous Order that is known for its charitable works, funding the construction of hospitals and medical services” Louis said, as he strode into the room with a great deal of flourish. Later that afternoon, Louis was going to join the others in the Order to celebrate the feast day of its founder, Blessed Gerard, Rector of the Hospital of Saint John in Jerusalem in the Twelfth Century. The actual day had been a few days earlier on the 13th of October, but today was the first following Sunday and that made it less of a hassle to get the members of the Order together for the procession. Louis liked this particular Chivalrous Order because while he was the Sovern of the German branch, he was not expected to be the Grand Master. So, it was a club that he could be the member of without having to lead it. The problem that was growing increasingly apparent was that Karl-Wilhelm at the age forty-four was considered a youth by the vast majority of the Order, with the average age far older than Louis was at fifty-eight.

“Are they still on about getting new blood into the Order?” Charlotte asked echoing Louis’ thoughts as she closed the book that she had been reading with the girls, Nancy Drew. It was a reminder of Charlotte’s suggestion in that matter. When Nella and Nan discovered Nancy Drew, they had spotted some parallels with the fictional girl detective and Kristina. Both tended to be at the center of the action, were very brave and drove a convertible. Of all of Louis’ children Kristina was the most obvious choice to be extended an invitation to join the Johanniter Order, she was already a Stabsarzt in Emergency Medicine at the age of twenty-three and her stature as a Physician would grow in the coming years. There was just one substantial problem though, the German branch of the Order had never had a female member.

“They are” Louis replied, “I doubt that they will be too receptive to your idea, even if it comes from me.”

“They have the examples of your Great, Great Grandmother Victoria and your cousin Elizabeth” Charlotte said, “Both of whom were Soverns of the Order and the British branch has Dames who have received Knightly Ranks, so it is only an issue if those decrepit fuddy-duddies make it one.”

With that, Charlotte stuck out her tongue and blew a raspberry at Louis. The girls giggled at such a childish display by an adult. Still, Charlotte had clearly been prepared to make that argument.

Laupheim, Württemberg

As near as Ritchie had been able to piece together, Manny was like a Pathfinder from the Airborne, except he was squad leader in an Armored Cavalry Unit. It was a bit of a surprise that a nineteen-year-old would play such a role. However, as Ritchie got the full story, he hoped that someone in the Brass back home was paying attention. It had turned out that Manny was an Officer trainee and most of the German Officers came up that way having first had an Enlisted Rank before they earned their Commissions. “It is an Apprenticeship” Manny had said. Ritchie liked the kid even if he towered over him, standing a couple inches north of six feet, and by odd coincidence happened to be the son of General Johannes von Mischner, the same General who had hosted Ritchie’s team after they had bugged out of China.

At the same time, it was noticeable that Manny was spending a lot of time on the phone trying to get news about what was going on with his family. He had said that his Oma was ill and that his Opa had explained with about as much subtlety as a howitzer that she was suffering from a terminal illness. It had taken Ritchie a bit of time to figure out that he was talking about his grandparents. Manny had said that Manfred the Elder was like that, a retired Luftwaffe Field Marshal who was probably the toughest man that Manny had ever met. Huck had joked that he sounded a lot like the stereotypes surrounding the Red Barron only to have Manny, AKA Manfred the Younger, say that was exactly who he was and that Manfred the Elder had not been a Barron for a long time. He was a Prince-Elector, whatever that was, these days.

None of this was helped by the fact that the mission was in the wait for the bastard to stick his head up so that they could blow it off part.

To kill time and to focus on something other than personal problems, they had gone to the shooting range and had been comparing the G44 to the M-10 Stoner by shooting targets 400 meters away, considered the effective range of both rifles. Manfred had revealed himself to be an astonishingly good shot, beating all of them with his G44. Mullens, who was the best shot among the Green Berets, objected to that, saying the scope on Manny’s rifle was unfair. Manny just shrugged, traded rifles with Mullens and shot a shockingly tight group with the aperture sights of the Stoner rifle. Mullens had not tried to best that with Manny’s G44, just handing it back and muttering that the kid was scary.

Last edited:
So the Amis are using some AR 10 variant in .30-06 with iron sights only?

Yep, someone is still behind the ball when it comes to military matters.

So the Amos are using some AR 10 variant in .30-06 with iron sights only?
The M-10 from TTL is an AR-15/18 analog that fires a 6mm intermediate cartridge. As for optics, those didn't see widespread use in OTL by the US Army until the 90s.

The G44 is an FN FAL analog that wasn't stretched out to accommodate 7.62 NATO.

Last edited:

ferdi254

Banned
And those Gentlemen only associations (word used in wide terms) decided greatly about individual careers. And they existed to varying degrees in all western countries. Ever wondered why economically women are still far from equality?

When you see what Louis Ferdinand was wearing, you can understand Nan's reaction.

lossy-page1-800px-Walther_von_Hallwyls_ordensdräkt_som_Rechtsritter_i_Johanniterorden_beståend...jpg

Last edited: